Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Both are fun in my humble opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kitfox88 posted:

i literally once fell asleep on my feet while playing outfield during a little league game. soccer is where it's at, if you gotta pick one sport.

Yeah, for young children, baseball is a horribly boring sport; no way around it. But, the reason I love baseball so much is because it's the nerdiest, most geeky sport in the world. Everything about baseball can be explained by math and physics. Look at the huge amount of stats coming out of baseball for enthusiasts to poor over and analyze. Even the trajectory of the ball coming off the bat is determined by the velocity of the ball and the speed and angle of the bat. It's just a huge 9 inning math and physics lesson on display every game.

I have also grown to despise what baseball has become over the years because 70 years after Jackie Robinson, baseball at the amateur and collegiate level is the most segregated sport in America; the small number of black athletes playing the sport in high school and college is a horrible indictment of the sport.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Cuz poor kids wanna play cool sports

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

radical meme posted:

Everything about baseball can be explained by math and physics.

I'm curious which sports you believe cannot be explained by the laws of physics.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious which sports you believe cannot be explained by the laws of physics.

Starcraft 2 :smugbert:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ugh of course.

I had the opposite reaction, "Hmm that's probably bullshit, oh wait Al Jazeera reported it? Well gently caress this might have legs"
A news station that originated as Qatari propaganda: now one of the more reliable news stations for US news.:v:

I'd laugh more by Al Jazeera really is good for talking about US news, hilarious irony notwithstanding.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

Football cannot be explained by statistics.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

So, not a baseball fan, I take it?

Pro Click

Apparently an entire industry of top tier journalist didn't notice that. Or they didn't care.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

radical meme posted:

But, the reason I love baseball so much is because it's the nerdiest, most geeky sport in the world.

While I will admit that the stats side of baseball is geeky; weightlifting is nerdy as hell. There's very little need for teamwork, aside from spotting. It involves keeping track of what you do, lots of logs and numbers. It's pretty much a real life RPG, you've got to grind your muscle groups and they slowly go up in level.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Football is the least. I think Basketball is the next most easily explained given the arch of the ball, the distance from the point of the shot. Hockey is pretty good given the trajectory of the puck on passes and shots on goal. But baseball is just far more relatable to math and physics than other sports.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Soccer is best understood through the lens of sociology. The actual physics taking place on the field are secondary, at best, to who wins a game.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Baseball has a steep learning curve that requires thought and dedication to appreciate. I understand how the typical D&D poster doesn't like it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

Cuz poor kids wanna play cool sports

And I would agree with that ironic statement. But, outside of basketball, the sport that provides the most longevity for professional players is baseball. A pro football players lifespan is measured in months, not years. A gifted athlete, that is shorter than 6' 8" tall, can earn more over a longer period of time playing professional baseball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like baseball because regardless of what I'm doing, I can almost always turn on the radio and follow it in the background. It is the ultimate multitasking sport. The only time you actually sit down to watch baseball is when you plan to get drunk while doing it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

While I will admit that the stats side of baseball is geeky; weightlifting is nerdy as hell. There's very little need for teamwork, aside from spotting. It involves keeping track of what you do, lots of logs and numbers. It's pretty much a real life RPG, you've got to grind your muscle groups and they slowly go up in level.

Weightlifting: the Korean MMO of sports.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

radical meme posted:

Football is the least.

Can you explain which specific aspects defy the laws of physics?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When I worked at a hotel, we had a ton of kids' teams show up for tournaments, because a sportsplex was nearby explicitly to host late gradeschool-highschool tournaments.

-Football kids were fine. Their parents kept them in line and they were so tired after matches that they didn't have the energy to break poo poo.
-Soccer/basketball kids were middle of the road and could go either way.
-Baseball kids were little shitheads with drunk parents and they got back from games not tired at all, so they were either pumped about winning and running around breaking poo poo or pissed about losing getting into fights with one another. Baseball parents were the most likely to blame the staff (sometimes literally 1 person in the whole hotel) for not watching over the kids for them.

For the politics part:

Girls' teams were usually the most chill until one night a traveling girls' soccer team (maybe youth-16?) was partying all night and our manager went to tell them to shut up. Unbeknownst to him, his jacket had come untucked and thus his pistol was partially exposed. Cue screaming from the girls and a Chicago cop chaperone insisting that carrying a gun is illegal, even in this state he's not from (it wasn't illegal.)

It resulted in hilarious prickwaving between this chicago cop and the smalltown Indiana cops that had to tell the guy over and over that it was totally legal to carry a gun in Indiana and that if he didn't knock it off, they'd have him arrested, at which point the chicago cop threatened to call the feds for gently caress knows what reason, so the Indiana cops said "fine, do it." Then the chicago cop went to bed and tried to chargeback the entire block of rooms the next day, but Visa sided with the hotel. :patriot:

tldr; sports are cool enjoy your sports everyone

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Kodiak posted:

His follow-up post made it pretty clear what he meant by that, Fishmech Jr.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Stop with the nerd poo poo and get to the dingers, I say.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Why would you balk at such a claim?

I'm just willing to watch this develop from the outfield, not going to get into a squeeze play over a grounder like that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The one thing he mentioned as "explained by physics" for baseball was the arc of the ball through the air, something which actually features in football as well. It's not pedantic to point out that it's a nonsensical statement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Xae posted:

Pro Click

Apparently an entire industry of top tier journalist didn't notice that. Or they didn't care.

Yeah, Barry is the best ever.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, football just doesn't lend itself to easily accessible statistical analysis. You've got stats for QBs, running backs and kickers but that's about as far as it goes; sacks also. So you've got the majority of the team on the field that stats are either nonexistent or worthless until it comes time for their contract renewal. During actual play, you've got the forward pass and kicking and that's about as far is it goes. So the stats are limited to skill positions and not everyone on the field. In basketball and baseball, every player is analyzed constantly based on their production in play. Anyone who knows baseball can sit in the stands and keep a score card for the game and actually keep a stat sheet during the active game; if you enjoy numbers, it can be fun. You can do that in football but it's almost meaningless to the outcome of the game. It's far more relevant in baseball and basketball.

Finally, yeah if you want to be a complete pedant then everything in life is physics. I'm just talking about the experience of enjoying a sport on a different level than just watching the game.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The one thing he mentioned as "explained by physics" for baseball was the arc of the ball through the air, something which actually features in football as well. It's not pedantic to point out that it's a nonsensical statement.

So it really was your intent to be a pedantic little shithead. First off, my arc of the ball comment was about basketball, not baseball, so you need to work on reading comprehension. Secondly, gently caress off.

VVVV edit: I agree with eveything said below. Baseball is unique in that each player has a static position on the field so hitting is the only activity common to all players; expect in the American League.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 27, 2015

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

radical meme posted:

Football is the least. I think Basketball is the next most easily explained given the arch of the ball, the distance from the point of the shot. Hockey is pretty good given the trajectory of the puck on passes and shots on goal. But baseball is just far more relatable to math and physics than other sports.

Haha, what?

The simple reason sabermetrics took off has nothing to do with the physics of baseball, and everything to do with its rigidity. Everyone has well defined positions and roles that they don't stray from all that often, everything gets reset to the status quo for every pitch, and there's not a huge amount of teamwork. To be blunt, the reason it's fairly easy to apply statistical methods to baseball is because there's not all that much going on. There are few sources of noise, the "system" is relatively stable, and most things can be well approximated deterministically.

Sports analytics in other fields is definitely a thing, but is generally much more difficult because accurately modelling teamwork is hard. It adds so much randomness that compounds upon itself.There's a fair bit of research going into this though, MIT has a sports analytics conference every year, and a lot of the work I saw there this year was on modelling teamwork (particularly in basketball).

EDIT: The point about data is a good one also. Coincidentally, the repetitive and rigid nature of baseball means data collection is super simple. This doesn't mean that doing this isn't possible with more complicated sports, but it hasn't historically been the case. The NBA has been making a huge push to gather more data (which is likely a key reason why the team modelling research is focusing on basketball).

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 27, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Football is bad because the only coach who has any idea about football is Football Satan on the Patriots

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

radical meme posted:

So it really was your intent to be a pedantic little shithead.

"Statistics" and "physics" being different things is not pedantry. Sorry that pointing this out got you upset, but it's not exactly a minor distinction.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 27, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Statistics" and "physics" being different things is not pedantry. Sorry that pointing this out got you upset, but it's not exactly a minor detail.

...and that poster's name was ALBERT EINSTEIN

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Statistics" and "physics" being different things is not pedantry. Sorry that pointing this out got you upset, but it's not exactly a minor detail.

You being willfully thick is pretty much pedantry. But yes, I acknowledge that they are different and they both apply. Now go find me some stats on Right Guards in the NFL.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Football is bad because the only coach who has any idea about football is Football Satan on the Patriots

And then sometimes even he gets lost

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

So, not a baseball fan, I take it?

I am, go Braves!

But during the Dinger Heaven Era everybody knew what was going on but didn't care. Doping is an American tradition dating back to the Cold War Olympics where a majority of all anabolic steroids used today were created. Doping before that consisted of doing shitloads of uppers that were helpfully freely available over the counter.

We only have problems with doping when losers are doing it

mlmp08 posted:

Soccer is a really good way to trick kids into doing a lot of cardio while believing they're playing a sport Americans might one day care about, so it's not so bad.

Soccer will never be embraced in America on a large scale because there's not enough commercial breaks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
All quarterbacks are poo poo

It's a bad game that nobody is even good at

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Soccer will never be embraced in America on a large scale because there's not enough commercial breaks.

Racism imo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

Or because it's boring as poo poo.

Though we already have a version of soccer that has a smaller field which allows for a lot more action. It's called Hockey.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lessail posted:

Racism imo

Yeah, Americans, as a whole, are turned off by the rampant racism in international soccer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

radical meme posted:

You being willfully thick is pretty much pedantry. But yes, I acknowledge that they are different and they both apply. Now go find me some stats on Right Guards in the NFL.

At least we've determined that part of the problem is you also don't know what sarcasm is.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

computer parts posted:

Or because it's boring as poo poo.

Though we already have a version of soccer that has a smaller field which allows for a lot more action. It's called Hockey.

if that was true no one would watch baseball, and i say this as a baseball fan.

also hockey owns, true american sport

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Football's dominance may decline when the head injury research really permeates the national consciousness and high schools start getting hit with civil suits. If insurers stop covering high school football teams, a lot of programs will be eliminated and the talent funnel will shrivel all the way up the chain.

Football is also terrible because the Steelers blew it against a trash team as usual so we're going to miss the playoffs.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

joeburz posted:

if that was true no one would watch baseball, and i say this as a baseball fan.

also hockey owns, true american sport

A baseball game cannot end with a score of zero to zero, putting it ahead of soccer in the "things happening" department.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
There is an entire loving sub-forum for sports you pedantic morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, Americans, as a whole, are turned off by the rampant racism in international soccer.

You'd think it'd be their thing

• Locked thread