Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ugh, I saw Youth.

ugh.

Ugh good or ugh bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I also imagine that it'd be kind of hard to beat the end of The Jinx and all that.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ugh, I saw Youth.

ugh.

So is that a movie about Michael Caine trying to bang 20 year old girls or not because that's all the premise looks like to me from a glance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ugh, I saw Youth.

ugh.

...good ugh or bad ugh?

E:f;b

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've heard real good things about Youth but its poster is literally just two old dues checking out some faceless girl and her massive rear end. Not the way an arthouse film wants to reach its audience imo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is there a lot of good ugh?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBulb posted:

Nah nah nah nah

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I've heard real good things about Youth but its poster is literally just two old dues checking out some faceless girl and her massive rear end. Not the way an arthouse film wants to reach its audience imo

i think a pretty big chunk of the art house crowd would identify with that actually

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Yeah, some movies are like "ugh now I'm horribly depressed" or "ugh that was a rough movie to get through".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

When is Making A Murderer supposed to get good? Because I've heard people saying it's amazing and hard to watch and poo poo, but I'm almost at the end of the second episode and so far it just seems mostly boring.

I was hooked in the first ten minutes so I can't explain why you don't find it compelling, but I'd at least watch through the third episode, if the stuff with his nephew doesn't kick you straight in gut you're probably safe not watching any more episodes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, some movies are like "ugh now I'm horribly depressed" or "ugh that was a rough movie to get through".
The Revenant is the most recent example of good ugh I can think of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

has anyone seen the new Macbeth yet? it's one of the movies i've been most looking forward to but it seems like Star Wars kinda steamrolled it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ugh, I saw Youth.

ugh.

Does it at least look good? The Great Beauty was one of the prettiest films I've seen in recent years, so I had high hopes for Youth.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Look of Silence is a great example. Great movie but it will turn your stomach at points.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

all movies should make you feel bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

all movies should make you feel bad.

This explains so much about what you consider a bad movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This explains so much about what you consider a bad movie.

no it doesn't

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was just teasing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Look of Silence is a great example. Great movie but it will turn your stomach at points.

If we were still doing the Cinebytes I would nominate the scene where the guy talks about drinking blood though it would just lose to Hateful Eight anyway..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Grave of the Fireflies is another example of good ugh. Very good movie, never wanna see it again.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Which one is your favorite? I really like The Witch and The Ferguson Case.

I really liked THE GHOSTS.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

If we were still doing the Cinebytes I would nominate the scene where the guy talks about drinking blood though it would just lose to Hateful Eight anyway..

Yes. Absolutely loving insane.

DrVenkman posted:

I really liked THE GHOSTS.

They're all quite good in surprising little ways. I was actually trying to dig up more info about the film and found squat. I don't know if I love that or hate it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axleblaze posted:

You mean The Goonys?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

only when everybody feels terrible will i feel artistically fulfilled

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Cronenberg's The Fly is a personal favorite but it makes me want to go ahead and wrap a Wal Mart sack around my head and let nature take its' course.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Glamorama26 posted:

Cronenberg's The Fly is a personal favorite but it makes me want to go ahead and wrap a Wal Mart sack around my head and let nature take its' course.

The thing that makes it genius is that it manages to be profoundly sad, something I feel horror movies don't go for nearly as often as they should.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

The thing that makes it genius is that it manages to be profoundly sad, something I feel horror movies don't go for nearly as often as they should.

Cronenberg's best work always manages to do that. The Brood is a brutally miserable experience

Agreed not enough films do that. I thought The Babadook and Felt were the 2 most recent films that managed to touch on those sorts of human misery. Good stuff

Edit: I have no idea what happened with the original post

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 28, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
final fantasy xiv is alright. im glad they made it into a good game, instead of just leaving it as a bad one to die

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Yes. Absolutely loving insane.

They're all quite good in surprising little ways. I was actually trying to dig up more info about the film and found squat. I don't know if I love that or hate it.

Looks like they were put together as one single movie in the late 80s in France. But the information is scarce, even when searching under its original name.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

final fantasy xiv is alright. im glad they made it into a good game, instead of just leaving it as a bad one to die

I kinda want to try it but I can't bring myself to play a game with a subscription.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Just saw The Hateful Eight in 70mm. It's excellent! I liked it even better than Django and Basterds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kramjacks posted:

I kinda want to try it but I can't bring myself to play a game with a subscription.

it's the "pay more than the average" tier of the current humble bundle, so i paid five bucks to try it for a month

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glamorama26 posted:

I never found that one too depressing. It's more of a classical tragedy and that kind of thing is cathartic to me.

Dead Ringers is brutal though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's also notably cheaper than most sub fee mmos anyway, and not particularly excessive of an investment as it is. It's basically "a final fantasy, but on the internet" if you're into the jrpg experience.

Roll on exodus dickeye, let us be anime catmen together

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Looks like they were put together as one single movie in the late 80s in France. But the information is scarce, even when searching under its original name.

Yeah, wild, huh. If you notice at the end of each video, it's clearly just ripped from a VCD or something because you can see the chapters at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

You mean The Goonys?

Stop trying to make that happen, it's never going to happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

only when everybody feels terrible will i feel artistically fulfilled

That would make Food Fight the greatest film ever made.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, I'm really bored and I'm still not feeling Making A Murderer and I'm legitimately considering seeing Daddy's Home tonight because I can't think of anything else to do and I've seen just about everything else that's in theaters :negative:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Glamorama26 posted:

I read that as "wrap a Walmart bag around my sac and let nature take its course" and I was very conflicted about how you felt about The Fly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh god, I'm really bored and I'm still not feeling Making A Murderer and I'm legitimately considering seeing Daddy's Home tonight because I can't think of anything else to do and I've seen just about everything else that's in theaters :negative:

Watch football like a real American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My movie pass is too good for Daddy's Home.

• Locked thread