Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

My worry about having such a voting system like New Zealand's is that it will encourage too much centrists politics so radical change is hard to make happen and the needle rarely moves on social and especially economic issues. Are my worries justified? Is New Zealand more "centrist' than other nations?

I think this has to be considered against the entire backdrop of why MMP voting system was introduced following the 1980's i.e. one Government having massive interventionist policies to swinging the complete other direction to creating GST, slashing income tax and selling off monopolies for chump change.

People campaigning against FPP/ for MMP were foremost utterly burnt out on the extreme swift changes possible under the previous voting system and two major parties who could switch policy gears faster than any sort of party blocs could form.

New Zealand is centrist as in neo-liberal consensus. We increasingly exclude the ability for a Government of The Day to make any actually important policies or decisions that would affect anything really contentious- this is considered appropriate if not entirely good because the psyche is still haunted by periods of memories of 'radical change'. Of course, this actually just benefits the existing order and entrenched/entrenching wealth.

It will take for that memory to die for radical change to happen- MMP is just a means.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

I hate people for not thinking the same things as me too.

Well... yeah.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The rogernomics era was an extension of an international political movement, not a feature or result of our voting system, or (lack of) desire for more radical political change.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I mean to argue a lot of people supporting transition to MMP thought it was a way to stem excesses of Rogernonics and before that, rightly or wrongly.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 26, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Wait hold on a second. "Rogernomics" came from someone from the Labour Party?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah people generally hold that Roger Douglas was able to hijack the fourth Labour government's cabinet. A lot of the neoliberal reforms, particularly around tax, were really embedded by Ruth Richardson in the subsequent National government too.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I think compulsory voting would be a good thing to introduce, especially since the last vote had one of the lowest turnouts in a while didn't it?

There will always be people who don't want to vote, they can do an informal vote. But I knew so many people who were too busy or just couldn't be bothered voting. "What does my vote matter, National's gonna win anyway" etc.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

While our system is good, I would like to see the following changes:
1. Reduce Party Vote % threshold to 4%.
2. Remove coat tailing rule
3. Change Electorate voting to one of the preferential voting systems like STV, so that electorate vote splitting doesn't happen and should reduce the chance of electorate "deals" that National is so fond of pulling.

So while this may have resulted in Colin Craig being in parliament, odds are Dunn and/or latest-ACT-stoogie wouldn't have be, but even if the results go against my personal preferences I think this is a fairer system because it reduces the "votes in specific electorates are more important than others" effect from those electorate deals.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Laverna posted:

I think compulsory voting would be a good thing to introduce, especially since the last vote had one of the lowest turnouts in a while didn't it?

There will always be people who don't want to vote, they can do an informal vote. But I knew so many people who were too busy or just couldn't be bothered voting. "What does my vote matter, National's gonna win anyway" etc.

I'm not sure this would help tbh. You can't make people care about something. How does that whole thing work out in Australia?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I thought people weren't bothering to vote because they thought the system was rigged.

Granted, given how the flag bullshit's been working out, I'm not surprised.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought people weren't bothering to vote because they thought the system was rigged.

It is rigged.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I know that and you know that, I was more wondering whether that influenced their decision any.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Binkenstein posted:

While our system is good, I would like to see the following changes:
1. Reduce Party Vote % threshold to 4%.
2. Remove coat tailing rule
3. Change Electorate voting to one of the preferential voting systems like STV, so that electorate vote splitting doesn't happen and should reduce the chance of electorate "deals" that National is so fond of pulling.

So while this may have resulted in Colin Craig being in parliament, odds are Dunn and/or latest-ACT-stoogie wouldn't have be, but even if the results go against my personal preferences I think this is a fairer system because it reduces the "votes in specific electorates are more important than others" effect from those electorate deals.

Why 4% would that really be very different than the current 5%?
I say eliminate it completely or lower it to the equivalent of two seats. Also I would like to see more MPs. Our system is built on MPs being accessible by voters to air grievances etc but with the way things are heading only those with connections and resources get meaningful time with MPs.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

The Schwa posted:

I'm not sure this would help tbh. You can't make people care about something. How does that whole thing work out in Australia?

Even with the informal votes removed, a much higher turnout.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Taitale posted:

Even with the informal votes removed, a much higher turnout.

Compulsory voting is a solution to the wrong problem. Is a higher turnout really an end goal if it isn't accompanied by a higher level of voter engagement?

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to getting people to actually care about politics in NZ. Clearly they *should* care as it affects a large part of our society and therefore their life. I guess a good start would be actually enforcing our electoral laws, currently if you break the spending, disclosure or advertising laws for an election nothing ever happens*. Serious electoral offenses are referred to the Police but they have literally never prosecuted someone for them. Having some high profile convictions or trials for dodgy electoral stuff could go towards helping people trust our system.

*Exception is John Banks but that took a private prosecution and he *still* didn't get convicted despite clearly breaking the law.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

door.jar posted:

Compulsory voting is a solution to the wrong problem. Is a higher turnout really an end goal if it isn't accompanied by a higher level of voter engagement?

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to getting people to actually care about politics in NZ. Clearly they *should* care as it affects a large part of our society and therefore their life. I guess a good start would be actually enforcing our electoral laws, currently if you break the spending, disclosure or advertising laws for an election nothing ever happens*. Serious electoral offenses are referred to the Police but they have literally never prosecuted someone for them. Having some high profile convictions or trials for dodgy electoral stuff could go towards helping people trust our system.

*Exception is John Banks but that took a private prosecution and he *still* didn't get convicted despite clearly breaking the law.

Oh I don't really think compulsory voting is a good solution. Just that it does result in a higher turnout.

I don't really think high profile convictions or trials would make people trust our system.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

door.jar posted:

Maybe including a course about current politics and the voting system in high school? Sure, most kids would forget about it as soon as they leave but it's the only time you can really get people to all sit down and listen to something.
They might already have something but if they do I've forgotten it already so was it that effective?

On compulsory voting, at least it would help with those people who don't vote because they think they'll lose anyway. I don't actually know how many there are or if it would make a difference but such a low voter turnout is really disheartening.
I guess that could be tied to a lack of knowledge though, if they're under the impression that our system is like the American one with a "one party wins and the other votes don't count" thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was last in highschool exactly ten years ago and there was no explanation of how our political system works at all, in fact the only reason I knew how parliament worked was because of the MMP explanatory ads they had on tv when I was really little, I remember it being a cartoon and parliament was a cake.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
imagine the inevitable shitstorm that emerges when a high school teacher who doesn't understand the system themselves teaches a class that the labour party are all communists and the greens are hippies and you should all vote ACT.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lobsterpillar posted:

imagine the inevitable shitstorm that emerges when a high school teacher who doesn't understand the system themselves teaches a class that the labour party are all communists and the greens are hippies and you should all vote ACT.

This is basically how science education in New Zealand works right now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The only explanation of the political system I got was in 3rd form English, not because it was in the curriculum but because it was after the exams at the end of the year and it didn't matter what they taught so the teacher could make up what he wanted to teach.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As I've said before, we cover it in our Year 9 social studies curriculum, but it's not required. I honestly think Social Studies should be a core subject at Year 11 as well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

As I've said before, we cover it in our Year 9 social studies curriculum, but it's not required. I honestly think Social Studies should be a core subject at Year 11 as well.

Ya and tbh the fact that there's nothing about government systems until level 5 is a bit sad.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

:toot: Saudi Sheep Farm Deal Didn’t Help Exports

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

wow really who ever would have guessed trying to bribe people wouldn't help??????????????

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We didn't bribe him enough.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

We didn't bribe him enough.

John Key "Still really hopeful" about deal with Nigerian prince; "Billion of dallor" could provide real boost to economy "at the end of the day."

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Considering most of the animals died it's no wonder it didn't work.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Varkk posted:

Why 4% would that really be very different than the current 5%?
I say eliminate it completely or lower it to the equivalent of two seats. Also I would like to see more MPs. Our system is built on MPs being accessible by voters to air grievances etc but with the way things are heading only those with connections and resources get meaningful time with MPs.

Mostly because it's what the Election Review thingie recommended, but National basically ignored it. I also don't think more MP's will result in more face time for constituents, but I think that there will need to be a review of how electorates are calculated in the near future due to the diminishing number of List seats available.

eg: South Island = 16 seats fixed. Currently this means 48 North Island seats & 7 Maori seats, for a total of 71 electorate seats & 49 list seats. Assuming the SI population remains the same (which isn't that hard, tbh), the combined NI population & Maori roll needs to increase by roughly 536,000 people to take it to 80 electorate & 40 list seats.

Also, in 2006 there were 57,562 people per electorate. In 2013 there were 59,679, a 3.67% increase. I guess that perhaps more MP's may be needed, but this would require a revisit of the "South Island Quota" rather than simply increasing the number of seats available as list MP's can be based pretty much anywhere.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:whitewater:

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
Hopefully that is just a terrible, terrible joke.
Although, this is NZ a terrible, terrible joke

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

At least Jane Campion got some recognition finally

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He kicked a ball and held a cup. I sleep easier knowing this great man is serving my country.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

He kicked a ball and held a cup. I sleep easier knowing this great man is serving my country.

Richie almost never kicked the ball. :goonsay:

I see we knighted a dude that shears sheep though.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Shouldn't we have knighted Buck Shelford in that case?
Although knighting successful sportspeople and rich businessmen is the way the system has always worked. Eg Sir Colin Meads and Dame Susan Devoy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait what kind of mental gymnastics do you have to jump through for playing ruggers to be outstanding service to the crown in a civil or military capacity?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Wait what kind of mental gymnastics do you have to jump through for playing ruggers to be outstanding service to the crown in a civil or military capacity?

He gave Key enough photo ops to survive another quarter.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Happy new years, estranged left-wingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Slavvy posted:

Associating Key with the ABs is a major part of National's branding strategy.

• Locked thread