Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

xiansi posted:

There are 17 types of ice :science: and there's a chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases

The top of the chart is *Tera* pascals!

Bonus points for being able to Google that (without using the word 'phases') and not have the top links be for Pokemon :sigh:

That's super cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok did my first half assed robigo smuggle run and was able to do like 3 deliveries before the popos got a scan on me. Still made like 11 million out of it. Would A rank thrusters help in this cases? It looked like I just got hosed by constant interdictions every 5 seconds.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok did my first half assed robigo smuggle run and was able to do like 3 deliveries before the popos got a scan on me. Still made like 11 million out of it. Would A rank thrusters help in this cases? It looked like I just got hosed by constant interdictions every 5 seconds.

If you can eat a 10 minute bounty, pop them with your weapons once. That'll get them to stop scanning you and instead open fire.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Haha, smuggling is fun if a bit simplistic. Farting around with illicit cargo in my decked out Cobra when system authority nerds howl "SUBMIT TO MANDATORY INTERDICTION AND SCAN CRIMINAL SCUM" furiously masturbate my flight-stick until i drop the interdiction while mentally shrieking back "YOU AINT TOUCHING THESE COMBATSTIMS FUZZ CUNTS" and i just imagine them flaccidly gyrating in space still while i crash onto my landing pad with FA off as my ship apocalyptically overheats and i scramble to drop off my illegal poo poo.

Man.

gently caress the rozzers lol

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

Bonus points for being able to Google that (without using the word 'phases') and not have the top links be for Pokemon :sigh:

yeah, but it's at 8 terapascals and that chart temperature stops at 650 K and needs to go about 30 times farther to the right.

I wonder if we'll even be allowed to land there or if our ships just immediately crush to death.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Dongattack posted:

Haha, smuggling is fun if a bit simplistic. Farting around with illicit cargo in my decked out Cobra when system authority nerds howl "SUBMIT TO MANDATORY INTERDICTION AND SCAN CRIMINAL SCUM" furiously masturbate my flight-stick until i drop the interdiction while mentally shrieking back "YOU AINT TOUCHING THESE COMBATSTIMS FUZZ CUNTS" and i just imagine them flaccidly gyrating in space still while i crash onto my landing pad with FA off as my ship apocalyptically overheats and i scramble to drop off my illegal poo poo.

Man.

gently caress the rozzers lol

Next time, try these next-level PRO 360 smuggle tactics:

Scrape pursuers off on a star:

Dive as close to star as you can, then point your butt straight at the star, with your nose pointing out. Wait for pursuers to fly right into the sun. Why does this work? To initiate an interdiction, the pursuer must be behind his target. What is also directly behind you? A star.

Silent Runnings, mon:

Nearing an Orbis station with your contraband, only to find spacecops lingering around the door? Get approximately lined up with the entry slot, pop chaff if you've got it, and toggle Silent Running Mode (default keybind is DEL). Approach steadily. Do not request docking until you are less than 5 km from the door. Glide silently in. Don't forget to turn Silent Running back off. Going cold drastically reduces the range at which spacecops will notice and thus scan you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think I've actually found hell. :psyduck:

:black101:

Your find is more hardcore than the one I found, that owns. There is no way we are going to be allowed to land on these planets though, 17k surface temps lmao

Zaardvark posted:

Silent Runnings, mon:
Nearing an Orbis station with your contraband, only to find spacecops lingering around the door? Get approximately lined up with the entry slot, pop chaff if you've got it, and toggle Silent Running Mode (default keybind is DEL). Approach steadily. Do not request docking until you are less than 5 km from the door. Glide silently in. Don't forget to turn Silent Running back off. Going cold drastically reduces the range at which spacecops will notice and thus scan you.

Just go real fast, real dang fast.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Zaardvark posted:

Next time, try these next-level PRO 360 smuggle tactics:

Scrape pursuers off on a star:

Dive as close to star as you can, then point your butt straight at the star, with your nose pointing out. Wait for pursuers to fly right into the sun. Why does this work? To initiate an interdiction, the pursuer must be behind his target. What is also directly behind you? A star.

Silent Runnings, mon:

Star-scraping advice is good advice. And it's hilarious if it works. The fact you don't get 'Aaagh, I'm melting...' messages is the game's fault.

Station smuggling though - you don't need to do any of that stuff for the local fuzz, especially in an Asp (assuming you haven't gimped thrusters & power distributor), just fly in fast from a straight approach.

What will gently caress you up is if you have police on your tail from a previous supercruise interdiction in the same system before dropping out. You think you have escaped, but no.

These bastards will never go away, and appear in normal space in your docking instance, and no amount of stealth will help.

Unless you are good enough to do a constant-boosting dock whilst running away (and you're probably not, at least not consistently) then the only way to escape a scan near station without re-logging is to target & shoot the fucker before they finish scanning, then dock, and eat a bit of damage + a few hundred credits fine.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

Watch out for Ice-9. It's a doozy.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

nippythefish posted:

I'd say the stupidest part is the .1% ice composition of the surface.

It's just frozen peridotites near the poles, probably.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Crossposting from PGS:
I've wanted to try my hand at running a terrible web radio station for a while, and this is a hell of a better excuse than the dumpster fire that has become Star Citizen, so with the imaginary authority vested in me as Flight Lead of the 123rd Reserve and Logistics Flight, I'd like to introduce Radio Skvortsov:

(it's a link, click it)

Featuring a collection of the best Dad Rock in the galaxy, my plans also involve Radio Skvortsov becoming the broadcast mouthpiece for the Diamond Frogs, with news and various station idents, jingles, and interludes written to bring more positive attention to our merry band of outlaws, while remaining entirely in character. Currently, I have a rotation of silly little voice clips and in-universe ads set to play around once every 10 minutes between songs, as well as a ~2-minute GalNet news clip (including a story on our very own Operation Mistle Toad) that plays at the middle of every hour.

THE PLAN:
My hope is to continuously update the rotation of radio clips on a weekly basis, with a focus on DF exploits; I may toy with longer-form programming in the future once I get the station securely on its feet, as well as specialty broadcasting hours and talk programming.

HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE?

Glad you asked, hypothetical stranger! If you're a member of the 123rd, or even if you're not, you can contribute to the station in one of a few ways:
  • Gather news that hopefully paints us in a good light, and send it to me either here or on Inara (CMDR Felix Dyson). I will most likely put some kind of spin on it and put it into the weekly GalNet rotation
  • Come up with short 15-30s jingles or voiceclips that I can put into the rotation that once again either advertises us or pokes fun at something in-universe. You can either record something yourself or send me the idea and I'll record it myself
  • Write and/or record DF-themed music like this thing Parallelwoody wrote and I belted out so I can dump it into the song rotation
  • I also have need of a few intrepid brown seamen to pimp the station where it can get the attention DF needs
  • Yell at me in the thread about what sucks and is terrible about the station

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

it's also worth noting that a 17,000K surface temperature is more than three times hotter than the surface of the Sun (5770 K). That planet would be glowing white hot, almost blue. It would look a lot like a tiny B-class star.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 28, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Personally I like the 83 million atmospheres. Isn't that basically "you are inside solid metal"

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Just passed through the "Bang" system, heh. Saw planets Bang 1 through 4 and Piano Ring.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah the "planet" is basically a molten (not really but I think you need to be a plasma physicist to explain what the gently caress is going on) ball of metal in space that somehow hasn't reached fusion.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's unfortunate that it had an atmosphere I bet trying to land on a 10x gravity planet would be a blast

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Getting owned isn't that bad when compared to loving 150.000Ls in-system voyages. Seriously.

Some game design decisions in this game are really weird.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

frank.club posted:

It's unfortunate that it had an atmosphere I bet trying to land on a 10x gravity planet would be a blast

https://youtu.be/W-roXfohC-0?t=30s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Transmetropolitan posted:

Getting owned isn't that bad when compared to loving 150.000Ls in-system voyages. Seriously.

Some game design decisions in this game are really weird.

The result when you allow die rolls to create your game world. The systems that were actually designed can't respond to all the randomness which is why we get massive discrepancies of "nothing to do but super cruise" for 1 hour to arrive at our destination.

What I do think is they were talking about micro jumping. A mechanic to allow us to jump to another star within the same system. No idea what transpired.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
An intrepid goon on the Steam Gift Train gave me the base game today. Spent about an hour crashing into the tutorial station while trying to figure out how to control my loaner ship. If I've learned anything, it's that I should probably focusing on running cargo before I try my hand at combat. Can't say I'd be much use to the Diamond Frogs, but I'll support the boys in green where ever I can.

3 posted:

Crossposting from PGS:
I've wanted to try my hand at running a terrible web radio station for a while, and this is a hell of a better excuse than the dumpster fire that has become Star Citizen, so with the imaginary authority vested in me as Flight Lead of the 123rd Reserve and Logistics Flight, I'd like to introduce Radio Skvortsov:

(it's a link, click it)

Hauling space-drugs while rocking out to The Doors is pretty much all I ever wanted in a video game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sweet

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hellburger99 posted:

An intrepid goon on the Steam Gift Train gave me the base game today. Spent about an hour crashing into the tutorial station while trying to figure out how to control my loaner ship. If I've learned anything, it's that I should probably focusing on running cargo before I try my hand at combat. Can't say I'd be much use to the Diamond Frogs, but I'll support the boys in green where ever I can.

Hauling space-drugs while rocking out to The Doors is pretty much all I ever wanted in a video game.

Welcome!

#1 "make life easier" tips: Buy a fuel scoop (internal slot) and the most expensive Frameshift Drive you can afford after a few missions. That will let you make larger system jumps, and refuel by flying close to many types of stars (very generally speaking, orange- and peach-colored ones. I'll spare you the longer explanation since you probably have enough stuff going through your head for now).

With those two items, the starter Sidewinder can easily make the flight out to 63 G. Capricorni, home of the Diamond Frogs. From there you can hop into the IRC channel in the PGS thread and many of us would be happy to wing up with you for bounty hunter twinking to get you more cash in a hurry.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Shine posted:

Welcome!

#1 "make life easier" tips: Buy a fuel scoop (internal slot) and the most expensive Frameshift Drive you can afford after a few missions. That will let you make larger system jumps, and refuel by flying close to many types of stars (very generally speaking, orange- and peach-colored ones. I'll spare you the longer explanation since you probably have enough stuff going through your head for now).

With those two items, the starter Sidewinder can easily make the flight out to 63 G. Capricorni, home of the Diamond Frogs. From there you can hop into the IRC channel in the PGS thread and many of us would be happy to wing up with you for bounty hunter twinking to get you more cash in a hurry.

Thanks for the tip! All in all, I'm not good, but it is bringing back memories of TIE Fighter, and while I was also really bad at that game, I'm slowing remembering how to pilot a spaceship. I just spent ~4 hours trying to recover a black box for my first mission! Got it a few times, but got blown up by a wing of elite NPCs. I'm learning bits and pieces as I go. Still not sure how interdicting works or how I can avoid it, but fortunately most people doing it to me right now are also rookie NPCs. Things are much easier when the computer is too dumb to shoot back.

I'll probably try and grab a few more missions to save up for those recommended fuel upgrades and then find my way out to the home of the Diamond Frogs to start haulin' space junk for the war effort.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
So we've been hanging out at Frost in open piling community gifts into Pythons and sharing them (and frog carols) with the pubbies who pass by. We've made at least a couple dozen's people's nights over the weekend and probably delivered several thousand gifts between everyone. This is what this game is really about right here.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Watching this makes me reallyl want an artificial horizon indicator inside the ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

Yeah the "planet" is basically a molten (not really but I think you need to be a plasma physicist to explain what the gently caress is going on) ball of metal in space that somehow hasn't reached fusion.

It can't reach fusion because of the metal. You need the even more extreme surroundings of a star just before or during going nova to get metals. I think for transuranic metals you even need a super nova to get them (for a time, obviously).

There's something called the "iron phase" or similar. It's when a red giant is basically breaking down because it's nearing nova day and the pressure and temperature deep in the core has started fusing heavier elements like iron together. But that's not sustainable and next you get a nova.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Neat. I thought iron was still fusible, but stars aren't really my thing. Whatever the hell that is, though, shouldn't be classified as a planet.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hellburger99 posted:

Thanks for the tip! All in all, I'm not good, but it is bringing back memories of TIE Fighter, and while I was also really bad at that game, I'm slowing remembering how to pilot a spaceship. I just spent ~4 hours trying to recover a black box for my first mission! Got it a few times, but got blown up by a wing of elite NPCs. I'm learning bits and pieces as I go. Still not sure how interdicting works or how I can avoid it, but fortunately most people doing it to me right now are also rookie NPCs. Things are much easier when the computer is too dumb to shoot back.

I'll probably try and grab a few more missions to save up for those recommended fuel upgrades and then find my way out to the home of the Diamond Frogs to start haulin' space junk for the war effort.

Tip 2: don't take any of the "retrieve a black box/artifact/stolen beer/etc." missions. They are by far the RNG'est thing in the game. Courier missions are the surest bet in a starter ship. If you want to try cop-assisted bounty hunting, then hop into IRC and someone less lazy than I can explain how that works.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you are jumping straight into horizons instead of standalone Elite then doing some ground missions, particularly the escape pod retrieval ones, is some really quick cash. Escape pods usually come in more than one per crash site, and the missions dont care if its already in your cargo hold when you pick the mission up. Turning them back to back will get you into a cobra really fast

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Plek posted:

Neat. I thought iron was still fusible, but stars aren't really my thing. Whatever the hell that is, though, shouldn't be classified as a planet.

Yeah well it's still a planet, even if it is too extreme for you. :shrug:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Plek posted:

From what little I remember from high school astrophysics, iron is basically the end product of stellar fusion? Like, you don't get any more energy from fusing iron atoms together, so once there's enough of that in there the star kind of burns itself out in whatever way is appropriate for its size.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

For the person asking about streaming, I have my own channel at http://hitbox.tv/angrymog and Elite is one of the games in my usual rotation, and we have just started up the Diamond Frogs channel at http://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs which will be either showing hosted Goons or native streams.

I would like to get in on the DF streaming if at all possible.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

LCL-Dead posted:

I would like to get in on the DF streaming if at all possible.

PM sent

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

3 posted:

(it's a link, click it)

Featuring a collection of the best Dad Rock in the galaxy, my plans also involve Radio Skvortsov becoming the broadcast mouthpiece for the Diamond Frogs, with news and various station idents, jingles, and interludes written to bring more positive attention to our merry band of outlaws, while remaining entirely in character. Currently, I have a rotation of silly little voice clips and in-universe ads set to play around once every 10 minutes between songs, as well as a ~2-minute GalNet news clip (including a story on our very own Operation Mistle Toad) that plays at the middle of every hour.

INXS is not dad-rock :argh: more Australian stuff please

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What I would love is playing this with oculus rift with a leap motion / other detector on the front with the ability for the game to render your hands and flight sticks in game.

This can't be a long way off surely?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Bobfly posted:

From what little I remember from high school astrophysics, iron is basically the end product of stellar fusion? Like, you don't get any more energy from fusing iron atoms together, so once there's enough of that in there the star kind of burns itself out in whatever way is appropriate for its size.

As he said you do get energy but it's a lovely reaction

But anything in the universe heavier than iron was formed in a supernova p much

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Plek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW3aV7U-aik

Probably shouldn't be a planet... but just more proof space is cool.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Shine posted:

Tip 2: don't take any of the "retrieve a black box/artifact/stolen beer/etc." missions. They are by far the RNG'est thing in the game. Courier missions are the surest bet in a starter ship. If you want to try cop-assisted bounty hunting, then hop into IRC and someone less lazy than I can explain how that works.

Bounty hunting, smuggling wreckage remains and specific courier missions (bring 1 of these to our special outpost for 40k) allowed me to get an Eagle with the outfitting that Paramemetic suggests in the OP pretty fast.

Main problem is getting the cash to upgrade your frame shift device and GTFO of the sidewinder. I got lucky: a wreckage had luxury goods and coffee and something that paid a really good penny.

Courier missions become MUCH better, and I say that as a newbie as well, once you get your range upgraded. Not only you now can actually succeed in many of those, but their rewards improve significantly (is it actually tied to distance?) as well.

no_recall posted:

The result when you allow die rolls to create your game world. The systems that were actually designed can't respond to all the randomness which is why we get massive discrepancies of "nothing to do but super cruise" for 1 hour to arrive at our destination.

What I do think is they were talking about micro jumping. A mechanic to allow us to jump to another star within the same system. No idea what transpired.

Ah, thanks. Microjumping would be seriously fantastic, because it just seemed so silly that I could travel 10 systems in the period I took to go to a gently caress-off far away outpost in a system :v:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=218733

An 84'er posted:

...And the cost of paint jobs in the Store is absolutely ridiculous. £2.00 or more is just a complete rip-off. These need to be about 25p - 50p each maximum. I can't imagine it takes much to create a paint job. And there should have been a few basic colours in game to start with. And I'd like to see a St George's Cross (England flag) - if one hasn't already been produced.
Players should be able to place bounties on other players - and have some means of tracking them down. The Imperial Courier needs redesigned as the current design is absolutely pathetic. It was excellent in Frontier Elite, now it is a pile of C**p...

This.. I..

I really want to reply to this with something snarky but my wit is lacking.

Please.. please someone.. make this something beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
You guys

Seriously guys

If you like pretty, get your rear end to BD-12 1172. It's a planetary nebula contained entirely in one system. The orbits are ridiculously complex and I sperged out for hours scanning each body and trying to figure out how it all worked together and taking screenshots and :aaa:

• Locked thread