Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of cool model replacements, Quake 1.5 got released the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60wQD1u4VZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

The real technical marvel of that video is the fake DOS prompt that didn't throw a fit at trying to process "Quake 1.5" as a command :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The real technical marvel of that video is the fake DOS prompt that didn't throw a fit at trying to process "Quake 1.5" as a command :allears:

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
I'm surprised there isn't a million gun replacement mods for Quake with ripped models like with Doom and sprites. Q3 guns wouldn't look out of place for example. poo poo's so simple compared to some other games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As much as I love this screenshot, even I, a mac user in the year of our lord 2015 (and almost 2016 :toot:) shudder at the thought of pre-internet jiggering to get anything worthwhile running on OS 9 or earlier.

I'm an Intel guy, and make no apologies. Only switched in 2006.

I do feel bad that I missed out on the greyscale rainbow icons, though :smith: (Edit: or the Macventure series)

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 27, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

That Super Nailgun, Lightning Gun, and Grenade Launcher are sexy as hell.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Daikatana 1.3 has received a huge update that redoes the online protocol to make it smoother and to add things like map voting, spectator mode, and HTTP map voting. It also has lots of bug fixes and improvements, like much better Superfly and Mikiko pathing and map fixes, that have been worked on since the last 1.3 release.

Grab it over at https://bitbucket.org/DGibson/daikatana-1.3/wiki/Downloads

...people make Daikatana fanpatches??? :stare:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

loga mira posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a million gun replacement mods for Quake with ripped models like with Doom and sprites. Q3 guns wouldn't look out of place for example. poo poo's so simple compared to some other games.

Quake's MDL format is a special form of terrible when it has to deal with things that have too much of... well, anything really. Polygons, verts, complex motion, you name it. MD2 is a bit more stable, but you can very easily hit it's limits too. it wasn't until MD3 that they stored information in actual integers and things STAYED PUT.

Long story short, most people just make things explicitly for these formats. Quake 3 is kinda super dead modding wise so even though you COULD do that, nobody cares. Maybe if someone back-ported MD3 to Quake 1 and 2, you could get things going a bit easier.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 27, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

...people make Daikatana fanpatches??? :stare:

This should be the new thread title, mods, as it so perfectly and succinctly describes PC gaming :golfclap:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm still waiting on Daikatana trading cards.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm still waiting on Daikatana trading cards.

I have Quake 2 action figures, including the mutant shark thingie, that seems almost as weird. Ok not quite as weird.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Source model format is derived from Goldsrc which is derived from Quake and its an abortion to try to do anything with with everything hacked into it over the years.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Heavy Metal posted:

I have Quake 2 action figures, including the mutant shark thingie, that seems almost as weird. Ok not quite as weird.

I'm also still waiting for wave 2 of that line

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I assume the Daikatana 1.3 guys are the ones that got the source code from Romero?

Personally, I wish someone would cobble something together for SiN, I just want to play that in real widescreen with workable computers. Because I keep on trying to play it and it feels just a little bit off to me and I'm not sure if that's the game itself or if it's some weird technical thing.

Also I'd like the reload function and the interact function to get split up, that weirds me out every time I play.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

loga mira posted:

Same, Quake's guns "feel" much better to me than Doom's but the models are mostly made of primitives, just boxes stuck together, and the animations are super simple. Maybe they ran out of time because monsters' models are much more complex and their animations still hold up imo. Quake's guns are much faster though so the animations can't be frame perfect, and I'm editing the sounds as well.

Probably gonna take me around a month with holidays and all. Editing Quake's models is surprisingly straightforward, import/export from Blender, put inside pak and it just works, no fussing.

It should be considered a crime against nature to include a double-barreled shotgun in a game without proper reloading animations or a satisfying accompanying clip-clop-clip audio.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ChickenHeart posted:

I'm also still waiting for wave 2 of that line

Hell yeah, hey never say never, I'm waiting for Half-Life 3.

Here's a pic of that sweet shark toy:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

catlord posted:

Also I'd like the reload function and the interact function to get split up, that weirds me out every time I play.

Are you able to bind it to different keys? That should be enough.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Colon Semicolon posted:

Quake's MDL format is a special form of terrible when it has to deal with things that have too much of... well, anything really.

I kinda like how it has everything sewn up in one file, but that has more drawbacks overall of course.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It should be considered a crime against nature to include a double-barreled shotgun in a game without proper reloading animations or a satisfying accompanying clip-clop-clip audio.

Haven't tackled the ssg yet but Quake's is considerably faster shooting than Doom's so the full reload may be a problem.

Progress.

Doom for reference.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

I assume the Daikatana 1.3 guys are the ones that got the source code from Romero?

Yep. They've actually done a good job with improving it. Being able to play it in widescreen and having the ability to disable companions makes the game feel a lot more smooth and enjoyable. If you want to play with partners, the pathing has been significantly improved so that they're actually useful instead of a perpetual hindrance.

quote:

The Source model format is derived from Goldsrc which is derived from Quake and its an abortion to try to do anything with with everything hacked into it over the years.

The "Source is not derived from Quake 1" line you see once and a while is ridiculous once you play around with Source for a while. The model format can be traced back to Quake 1, the map format is quite similar to Quake 1's (at least back when HL2 first launched), and even the workflow is an almost 1:1 copy of how to make mods for Quake 1.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

Are you able to bind it to different keys? That should be enough.

No, the use key just also reloads.

closeted republican posted:

Yep. They've actually done a good job with improving it. Being able to play it in widescreen and having the ability to disable companions makes the game feel a lot more smooth and enjoyable. If you want to play with partners, the pathing has been significantly improved so that they're actually useful instead of a perpetual hindrance.

Yeah, I've heard that. At some point I'll grab Daikatana and playing without sidekicks will certainly be a blessing.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 28, 2015

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Anyone else having problems with the latest version of Beautiful Doom? I keep getting the following script error on startup:

BDoom_60.pk3:bdoom_monsters.wad:BM_POSS line 18: Call to unknown function 'CheckClass'

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
When in doubt, update to the latest devbuild of GZDoom

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

Yeah, I've heard that. At some point I'll grab Daikatana and playing without sidekicks will certainly be a blessing.

There's no time like the present when the game is 75% off right now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

No. Don't let John Romero make you his bitch. It's 2015. We know better.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

My lovely graphic card doesn't support OpenGL 3.0.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Luigi Thirty posted:

No. Don't let John Romero make you his bitch. It's 2015. We know better.

But, it's only a $1.75! Surely it's not as bad as it's reputation...... :shepspends:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

catlord posted:

What I mean is that some games from that era allowed you to bind the same command to multiple keys. I realize that use/reload are the same key, but if hitting E for Use and R for Reload is habitual, just bind the command to both keys and use them as normal.

CDN $1.94 is a ripoff. I saw it for $0.49 at an EB Games once :colbert:

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Wamdoodle posted:

But, it's only a $1.75! Surely it's not as bad as it's reputation...... :shepspends:
I already own four copies of Daikatana. Surely another one won't hurt...

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Castor Poe posted:

My lovely graphic card doesn't support OpenGL 3.0.

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/
ZDoom isn't as flashy as GZDoom, but it doesn't require OpenGL at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TerminusEst13 posted:

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/
ZDoom isn't as flashy as GZDoom, but it doesn't require OpenGL at all.

Also, Graf Zahl found someone to maintain the 1.8 branch so it may be possible to bug people to get dev builds of it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

loga mira posted:

Quake I Arena mod did exactly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNlnjuwD2gU

Also, super ambitious mod Your Path Of Destruction tried to remake Doom into Quake engine, with gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWEjvTgOOQ

The mod itself is interesting, but very buggy (weapon models tend to disappear after quickload), but it gave those wonderful 3D models used in Doomsday engine.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Speaking of porting assets from one game to the other,

I loved Generations a lot when it came out but it's no wonder that it got Foxed in short order.

Edit: Oddly enough, Fileplanet still has it to download even though id killed it on top of Fileplanet being long defunct. It's worth checking out as a curiosity; as far as single player content goes it has the duel with the Cyberdemon in the Tower of Babel as well as most of the first episode of Quake. You can also check out a bunch of Doom and Doom II maps recreated for deathmatch with changes to make them flow better or have more weapons. There were Wolfenstein 3D maps but they were in a patch that I'm not sure exists anywhere now.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 28, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Speaking of porting assets from one game to the other,

I loved Generations a lot when it came out but it's no wonder that it got Foxed in short order.
It's a pity the SOG mod for Quake 2 was so terrible.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

It's a pity the SOG mod for Quake 2 was so terrible.

I forgot that was a thing; I never bothered with it because it seemed pointless to redo it with off-brand characters and no real connections to the original games, even if that was a fix for the legal issues.

However, I'm on a Quake 2 nostalgia kick so in between tinkering with the gamex86.dll code and replaying the original game and expansions I'll go check it out. I managed to find a download for it but it's a shame that Quake 2 stuff was so poorly archived.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

short public service announcement

remember trailblazer, the gameplay mod for doom? it's going to get an update, someday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNbpeH31h-k

also, this video popped on my tumblr feed and I think it's one of the most interesting upcoming zdoom (and later, gloome) projects - memoirs of magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIA-2GQdQM8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

short public service announcement

remember trailblazer, the gameplay mod for doom? it's going to get an update, someday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNbpeH31h-k

This looks fun as hell, especially if I have Elvis to groove to, playing in the background. Come to think of it, I would have to say all Doom gameplay would be more fun with that song playing the whole time through.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

I dunno I think these gun models look like serious butt

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Has anybody else playing Arcane Dimensions managed to find all the tomes on ad_swampy? I want to love the map, poo poo's huge and really impressive but god drat is that an obnoxious prop hunt

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno I think these gun models look like serious butt

Yeah, definitely a mixed bag. Actually I only liked the nailgun and grenade launcher, super shotgun looks like the author tried to imitate Q2 ssg, but it doesn't really work. I liked the details like battery pack on lightning gun, and the whole thing shows a lot of work done, but it doesn't really click for me. But my mate, who bought the whole Quake series on Steam sale few days ago loved it, so maybe it's for people who didn't grow with blocky shotgun and rocket launcher that looks like a construction tube with holes. Rest of us can always use the "fixed" weapons pack from primevil.

Also I only could make the Q1.5 pack work in darkplaces, qspasm immediately closes before it loads any map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the construction tube with holes is the best rocket launcher in videogame history and there are no substitutes