Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

Does anyone know more about this? Given how nasty and complex state budgets can get this feels like it could have been taken way out of context and he doesn't really attribute any evidence to it. Which Republican legislator was this? Which hospital? I mean don't get me wrong this is the mother fucker responsible for the Terri Schiavo shitcircus so I'm not putting it past him but i'd like some ammo on this.

Its not out of place for the GOP and Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Necc0 posted:

Does anyone know more about this? Given how nasty and complex state budgets can get this feels like it could have been taken way out of context and he doesn't really attribute any evidence to it. Which Republican legislator was this? Which hospital? I mean don't get me wrong this is the mother fucker responsible for the Terri Schiavo shitcircus so I'm not putting it past him but i'd like some ammo on this.

The book's author cited this GQ article.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Looks like 2015 was a great year... For gun sales.

I might be getting one. And if I did, I might get a CCW (but never carry).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only way that JEB! story could be better is if one of the "business associates" that told him other guys that might be his real friends was his wife.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

The book's author cited this GQ article.

It comes from a fairly unrelated indictment of term limits; that the practice basically gives the Governor a lot more power since Senators can no longer expect to outlast any given Governor.

quote:

"The legislature is not its own branch of government anymore," Smith began. "We're Jeb's workroom. Because of the Republican numbers, they can do whatever they want. They don't really negotiate with us. And once Jeb became governor, they laid down for him. They have bent over backward to give him more and more power. They gave him the power to appoint the secretary of state. They gave him the power to appoint all the trustees for the universities. Before, members would tell a governor, 'Screw you, you're out in eight years, and I'll be here for twenty,' but now that we have term limits, members think, 'I'm gonna be out of here in a few years. I don't want to have the governor mad at me.' So term limits have got him in a real good spot."

Klimek interjected, "A few members do stand up to him, but they pay for it. Senator [Alex] Villalobos has had money taken away from him that he was trying to get for a children's brain-tumor center in Miami."

Smith nodded. "If you don't walk the line, your appropriations get zinked. Because the governor has the veto pen."

I'd believe that Jeb literally took away money for helping children with cancer.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

Yeah, for young children, baseball is a horribly boring sport; no way around it. But, the reason I love baseball so much is because it's the nerdiest, most geeky sport in the world. Everything about baseball can be explained by math and physics. Look at the huge amount of stats coming out of baseball for enthusiasts to poor over and analyze. Even the trajectory of the ball coming off the bat is determined by the velocity of the ball and the speed and angle of the bat. It's just a huge 9 inning math and physics lesson on display every game.

I have also grown to despise what baseball has become over the years because 70 years after Jackie Robinson, baseball at the amateur and collegiate level is the most segregated sport in America; the small number of black athletes playing the sport in high school and college is a horrible indictment of the sport.

baseball even more than football is the bastion of Real America of the old type, a tobacco-chewing friend of the family-hating sexist old white southern man's dream come true

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

WampaLord posted:

I lived in Florida while he was governor. Your empathy is misplaced.

Cosigned. My favorite Jeb story came from his favorite part of the job: hearing requests for re-enfranchisement. A guy who had been out infraction-free and unable to vote for 20 years got denied because he sounded "too uppityinsufficiently remorseful." Be sure to speak your petition to his highness with the proper respect!

My second favorite story was that his kid was such an addict poo poo-stain my high school refused him entry. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him in a few decades.

e: before anyone point this out, obviously Rick Scott is even worse

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 28, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So I just visited Wall Street for the first time and saw people literally lined up to rub the bull's balls for good luck in business. Is there any more blatant pagan idol worship than that that happens in America these days? Where the hell are all the Christian protesters?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

So I just visited Wall Street for the first time and saw people literally lined up to rub the bull's balls for good luck in business. Is there any more blatant pagan idol worship than that that happens in America these days? Where the hell are all the Christian protesters?
I think this was posted recently

http://wonkette.com/403920/jesus-people-pray-that-false-idol-will-save-gods-economy

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

right there with them

http://wonkette.com/403920/jesus-people-pray-that-false-idol-will-save-gods-economy

E: DAMNIT!! Beaten

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Least they worship something, you Godless heathen! - How I imagine an evangelical responding

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

It sort of seems like modern organized American Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with the Bible or any biblical teachings, and is entirely about leveraging a convenient group and natural tribalism to consolidate power.

Thousands of christians worship a literal golden calf idol, something there is literally a story about in the bible and is literally breaking the first commandment, and yet no one seems to care. However gay people and abortion, which aren't really mentioned in the bible, are huge important topics for weird religious zealots and drive a huge part of the narrative.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

icantfindaname posted:

baseball even more than football is the bastion of Real America of the old type, a tobacco-chewing friend of the family-hating sexist old white southern man's dream come true

I've heard this sentiment before but have to conclude it's bullshit. Baseball's biggest concentrations of fans are in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA ~ it's ridiculous to cast it as a down home Good Old Southron Boy pursuit.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Welcome to New York buddy, pretty sure if you walk a few blocks you will find more than a bull's balls that might upset Christians.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I've heard this sentiment before but have to conclude it's bullshit. Baseball's biggest concentrations of fans are in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA ~ it's ridiculous to cast it as a down home Good Old Southron Boy pursuit.

Yes but there's also St. Louis, where the Best Fans In Baseball routinely have hot takes about Ferguson protesters and talented black players leaving in free agency.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yes but there's also St. Louis, where the Best Fans In Baseball routinely have hot takes about Ferguson protesters and talented black players leaving in free agency.

As a militant Pirates fan I refuse to speak of them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GalacticAcid posted:

Yeah, casting it as "southern racists" is weird. It's mostly northern racists, concentrated in places known for their abuse of minorities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA...

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Fetishism is something far cruder than Christianity.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Stereotype posted:

It sort of seems like modern organized American Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with the Bible or any biblical teachings, and is entirely about leveraging a convenient group and natural tribalism to consolidate power.

As my doctor told me when I got my Hepatitis C test back, "you got it kid!"

EDIT: This is an out-of-context 30 Rock joke and I am definitely not Hazel Wassername :ninja:

Speaking of which, Medicaid is rationing access to Hep C drugs, so unless you already have liver damage from it good luck poor people, hope you don't pass it on to anyone else!

(The drug also costs Medicaid a good $95k per course, so it's understandable from an administrative perspective, but JHC there's so much authentically American awfulness happening here.)

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

You're right that 'Southern' wasn't the best choice of words, if anything I associate baseball more with classic/pre-1970s major cities in the North. The thing is though, those cities were run white people who were (and still are lots of the time!) incredibly racist. Martin Luther King called Chicago worse than Mississippi after all. Baseball peaked during and was defined by an era of American society which agreed to assimilate 'white ethnics' but still considered blacks, mexicans, asians and women beyond the pale , and that attitude and legacy has stuck with it. So maybe 'old white southern man' isn't accurate, but 'old white pre-70s northern city dweller' is

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

NYTimes Editorial Board comes out for a $15 federal minimum wage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Speaking of which, Medicaid is rationing access to Hep C drugs, so unless you already have liver damage from it good luck poor people, hope you don't pass it on to anyone else!

(The drug also costs Medicaid a good $95k per course, so it's understandable from an administrative perspective, but JHC there's so much authentically American awfulness happening here.)

You say "costs Medicaid $95,000 a course", I and the rest of the country hear "OBAMACARE DEATH PANELS."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Irony is dead.

Isn't worshipping a golden calf literally word-for-word verboten in the Bible?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Last time people did that God was not too pleased, yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drilldo squirt posted:

Last time people did that God was not too pleased, yes.

God was going to kill everyone for it until Moses talked him down by going "Hey man, if you kill everyone, the Egyptians will be like 'Haha! Look how dumb the Hebrews are! Their God brought them out of slavery and then killed all of them! What a stupid god.'"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Anyone remember that time someone dropped a bunch of dollar bills into the stock exchange pit and started a riot

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I remember seeing a picture of fat wall street types crawling over each other to get the dollar bills.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

God was going to kill everyone for it until Moses talked him down by going "Hey man, if you kill everyone, the Egyptians will be like 'Haha! Look how dumb the Hebrews are! Their God brought them out of slavery and then killed all of them! What a stupid god.'"

Hmm, dudes toned down since sodom and that flooding thing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Presidential Monuments on the National Mall are undisguised recreations of the old Roman system of Imperial Cults and the deification of the Emperors. Also this:

Literally titled The Apotheosis of Washington.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Squalid posted:

The Presidential Monuments on the National Mall are undisguised recreations of the old Roman system of Imperial Cults and the deification of the Emperors. Also this:

Literally titled The Apotheosis of Washington.

Ive been on a tour of the Capitol building and been near the ceiling where this is painted as well as the roof. It's kind of terrifying being that high off the ground as echo-ey as that building is!

Are any other Western countries as pseudo-religious towards its founding fathers (excluding Turkey, which is nominally "Western" as it is)?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are any other Western countries as pseudo-religious towards its founding fathers (excluding Turkey, which is nominally "Western" as it is)?

You'd have to define founding father.

Like for example, is Germany's some national hero from before the unification, the unification parties itself (Bismarck et all), :godwin:, the post WW2 leaders, or the post-Cold War factions?

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 28, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Well, most European countries are *old*. So founders, not so much (and they are often half-mythical, think Britain/Arthur), but all countries have a historical 'good King x' or something that's particularly well-remembered.

Fascist Italy tried explicit veneration with ancient Rome, I think. But even then, I don't ghink these were individual people.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Ive been on a tour of the Capitol building and been near the ceiling where this is painted as well as the roof. It's kind of terrifying being that high off the ground as echo-ey as that building is!

I can't find any examples of this exact kind of pseudo-religiousness in Western states, which is arguably unique to our nation's obsession with Christianity and manifest destiny.

It's still worthy to note that other Western nations can still have ghosts of something like that surrounding them — Charles de Gaulle in France (not to mention their obsession with laïcité), Churchill for the UK — but that's more the usual reverence, hero myths, and rigid insistence on particular shared values that are the foundation of just about every major Western nation-state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

Well, most European countries are *old*. So founders, not so much (and they are often half-mythical, think Britain/Arthur), but all countries have a historical 'good King x' or something that's particularly well-remembered.

Again, this depends on your definition. You can make a reasonable argument that many modern European states are quite new, younger than the United States even (France didn't overthrow its monarchs for good until the 1870s, Italy didn't unify until the 1860s, Germany didn't unify until the 1880s, etc).

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Dude looks like an overwhelmed substitute teacher in every picture.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The thing about founder-worship in the US versus say Turkey or some other country is that the founders are not invoked to defend/promote the actual exact ideology that the founders actually held, whereas Ataturk is extremely closely associated with a specific, narrow ideological vision and people who don't share that vision hate the guy. Literally everyone in the US will invoke the founders to support their ideology. I guess the lesson is that pluralist liberalism owns

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

The thing about founder-worship in the US versus say Turkey or some other country is that the founders are not invoked to defend/promote the actual exact ideology that the founders actually held, whereas Ataturk is extremely closely associated with a specific, narrow ideological vision and people who don't share that vision hate the guy. Literally everyone in the US will invoke the founders to support their ideology. I guess the lesson is that pluralist liberalism owns

To be fair, we had many founders and they believed wildly different things. So you can find one supporting or opposing virtually anything, see also, slavery.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It makes sense that the founders are a big deal in the USA since the Constitution is the bedrock of the government - moreso than many nations - and they wrote that. So there's a definite moral authority that anyone and everyone can draw on.

Of course, much like everything else they touch, the far right has muddled the facts beyond recognition and added deific veneration on top of everything else.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

computer parts posted:

Again, this depends on your definition. You can make a reasonable argument that many modern European states are quite new, younger than the United States even (France didn't overthrow its monarchs for good until the 1870s, Italy didn't unify until the 1860s, Germany didn't unify until the 1880s, etc).
Well, the way I thought about it is, what is taught as specifically 'national history' in grade schools? (As opposed to 'world history'?) Mine started with the description of the first walled settlements of the people who spoke the precursor of my current language, plus the surviving founder myths. Then we went through all the kings, dynasties, wars and so on. So, I would argue that, independent of academics, what's being inculcated in children - the gut/truthiness/heuristics level - is continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It makes sense that the founders are a big deal in the USA since the Constitution is the bedrock of the government - moreso than many nations - and they wrote that. So there's a definite moral authority that anyone and everyone can draw on.

Of course, much like everything else they touch, the far right has muddled the facts beyond recognition and added deific veneration on top of everything else.

Someone could create pictures of the founding fathers with right wing media heads but then people would start using it un-ironically.

• Locked thread