Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. But moe-centric poo poo is...well, poo poo.

There, I said it. :colbert:

I probably wouldn't have given Madoka a second thought if episode 3 didn't end the way it did. And I probably wouldn't have gotten past the first episode of Shirobako if it was just K-On! with anime instead of music.

K-On! failed the 3 episode test for me.

You may now bask in your hatred of me. :unsmigghh:

tbh to this day I still dunno what "moe" means so I don't know what you're getting at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Motto posted:

tbh to this day I still dunno what "moe" means so I don't know what you're getting at

It is that feeling you get, when you see something that is moe.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
Can I still vote or are we just arguing about high school girls now?
  1. Shirobako. It's good.
  2. Gatchaman Crowds Insight. Also good.
  3. The Rolling Girls. It's bad, but I love it anyway.
  4. Sound! Euphonium. KyoAni doing the KyoAni thing.
  5. Wakakozake. A great way to relax.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

1&2 are more of a tie, but I went with the one that I thought about more.

1. Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku

SNAFU 2 is a extremely well written show with a compelling cast. For me, nothing this year reached the same level in its complex depiction of conflict, and character growth.

2. Shirobako

I only watched this like a month ago, after not maintaining interest after the first few episodes when it aired. It's the most wrong I think I've been about a show. Shirobako is incredibly entertaining, but it is also a show so real at times that it's almost hard to watch. The reveal in episode one says it all.

3. One Punch Man

Saving anime one week at a time. People talk about its incredible animation, action, and humor, but one thing that stood out to me about OPM is its heart. Mumen Rider confronting the Sea King was a genuinely emotional scene for me, and that's a testament to how OPM is not just a simple gag anime.

4. Ore Monogatari

Ore Monogatari began as my Nozaki methadone, but now I think it almost stands alongside it in my mind. The clingwrap kiss is one of the top scenes this year.

5. Death Parade

An interesting premise and strong animation made this appointment viewing.
I feel like the ending was rushed, and that the core concept had legs for another season, but ultimately Death Parade was a show that felt very exciting and fresh as it aired.

Honorable mentions:
Arslan Senki: I really liked it but it always felt a little loose.
Parasyte: Had some amazing scenes but the third act was kind of a drag.

Best show I haven't watched but will probably like:
Hibike! Euphonium: I like Kyoani shows, but just never watched this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admoon posted:

What exactly is the problem then? Seems like he doesn't want to watch shows about high school girls. Not enjoying the subject matter is like the most inoffensive reason

littleorv posted:

guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys guys

AIDS

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Motto posted:

either "burning" or "sprouting", depending on which kanji you use. hth.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

either "burning" or "sprouting", depending on which kanji you use. hth.

Oh, so Nadesico's OP is about moe. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Oh, so Nadesico's OP is about moe. :v:
it kind of is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

it kind of is

I believe it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

There's a fuckton of good anime this year, but unfortunately for the list I only watched and finished a handful of shows, and not all of them were good. (Owari no Seraph s1 was fun, but dumb, and it doesn't deserve to be on a top 5 or even top 10 list in a year with everything else going on)

So, from the top -

1. One Punch Man. A gorgeous, funny show with heart.
2. Gundam Reconguista in G, one of my favorite Gundam shows thanks to it being a non-stop madcap rush of adventure and fascinating world-building. Pure, unfiltered Tomino and I adored all of it.
3. Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider. A smart, smart show that I appreciated the more I thought about it. A slow burn that was boring in places, but ultimately fit together like a neat puzzle, and I am very happy I saw it.

I'm watching Shirobako now because of this thread, too!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This thread made me decide I should really watch One Punch Man, and I did, and it was good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Probably Magic posted:

This thread made me decide I should really watch One Punch Man, and I did, and it was good.

This but for Shirobako

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now watch Snow White with the red hair.

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
1. Hibike! Euphonium - At the start of the year I definitely didn't expect my favourite show would be a KyoAni one but that's what happens when you pander to my inner band geek. Great cast, great animation, great romance and none of the novel readers can convince me otherwise.

2. Shirobako - I initially passed this off as moe trash but it ended up being a really entertaining and emotional celebration of the anime industry. It never examined some of the problems with the industry as much as I hoped, but it was nice to watch the characters grow throughout the series and deal with more realistic problems than in your average anime.

3. Blood Blockade Battlefront - Rie Matsumoto is an amazing director. Best ED of the year by a mile.

4. Yuri Kuma Arashi - I'm a sucker for Ikuhara's weird style of anime and having a shorter one-cour show meant he was a bit more focused with the themes this time.

5. GARO: Honoo no Kokuin - It was a toss-up between this and One-Punch Man but I preferred Garo's JAM PROJECT OP so

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
He just asked a question, chill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

He just asked a question, chill.

???

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
5.Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen Sets the standard in monster-of-the-week shows, and an amazing finale.
4. Hibike! Euphonium A high quality production with great direction keeps one hooked to this great story.
3. Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2) Pushes the boundaries of a superhero show. How CG and colour should be done.
2. Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku Scratches ones cringe and embarrassment itch as you follow the character development of some truly awkward teenagers. The best twist since Onani Master.
1. Prison School Near perfect adaptation of a side-splitting manga. Comedy this good, where one has to pause the show to stop laughing, is a rarity. For letting me cackle my lungs out at the end of every monotonous week of work, for twelve weeks, puts this show at number 1.

Honourable mentions
Akagami no Shirayukihime - Refreshing visuals with competent characters.
Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2 - Strong female protagonist let down by a truly terrible male one.
Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live) - Should of had a higher walking-body count.
One-Punch Man - Worth it seeing great art animated.
Owarimonogatari - Quality Nisio talking-heads storytelling, but let down by a weaker second half with just no dramatic tension, due to being set in the middle of a bunch of time-lines. Felt like build-up for some resolution in some future season.
Shirobako - Would have been no. 6. Great original drama series.
Sidonia no Kishi s2 (Knights of Sidonia) - Sci-fi opera fix with great sound and above average CG robots.
Working!!! (s3) - Slows down the comedy for character development.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's Wakako-zake.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jojos

My love story

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Too many shows I still have yet to finish, but still I managed to find time to get a top 5 list:

1. One-Punch Man: Simple slice-of-life about an ordinary superhero trying to save time and money by living frugally. Also, the animation was boss, even if it could never quite reach the hype of Murata's drawings.

2. Maria the Virgin Witch: Had no complaints about this one. It had a western-style witch going against God and God-like beings while fighting a quixotic battle against the concept of war itself. Good points made on all sides of this show's conflict. Best of all, there was actually some closure in the ending, even if it was anime-original.

3. The Perfect Insider/Subete ga F ni Naru: Based off an actual novel and not a LN, so this story was good and not ironically "good." Interesting locked-room mystery that ended up using some programming tricks to find the real culprit, though I question if anyone can smoke that much these days, let alone inside a sealed room like that. Wonder if there will be any similar stories adapted?

4. Garo the Animation: Like Power Rangers if it was set in the Spanish Inquisition. Even with all the "monster-of-the-week" episodes I still found this one incredibly enjoyable with that setting.

5. Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans: Kids learning the meaning of family and sticking together through hard times, while some of them have to fight other guys in giant mecha suits. Basically like a later Fast & Furious movie if the characters were aged down by about 20-30 years.
EDIT: Apparently IBO continues into next year so it doesn't count? Bah. Let me switch that vote to...

5. Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers: A story that starts out as some high-falutin' fantasy and then quickly turns into something of a mystery. The meso-American backdrop was also a nice touch. Having said that, did they really have to hit the reset button at the end to lead into what might be a season 2? That is some real bullshit of an ending, and that's before we get into all the times that the killer could have eliminated other members of the cast within the bubble and simply didn't.

Honorable Mentions to...
Ninja Slayer (#1 in my heart)
Yuri Kuma Arashi (it was good, but not really my style)
Beautiful Bones (somewhere between Bones and House, if House was a beautiful anime girl)
Yatterman Night (started off pretty dark, at some point I'll watch the rest of it)
Rolling Girls (basically a Blue Hearts cover music video project if you ignored the lacking plot and near-useless MCs)

Kleptobot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 1, 2016

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In no particular order, these are the only ones I feel like including:

* Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair)
* Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
* One-Punch Man

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
This thread also made me watch Shirobako and I liked it until that new animator who can't speak came on and now I'm really annoyed by her presence and communication through gasps and squeaks. Does she learn to talk like an adult at some point?

I also liked Koufuku Graffiti, The Perfect Insider, and Shokugeki no Soma. I like watching anime for tweens.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
1. One-Punch Man - The best show ever.
2. Shokugeki no Soma - Cooking orgasms rule.
3. Baby Steps 2 - The continuing adventures of a nerd playing tennis, great fun.
4. Parasyte - Migi :kimchi:
5. Rokka - Adventure becomes a whodunnit, but pretty great regardless.

Honorable Mentions:
DanMachi - http://hestia.dance/
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Not done yet, but goddamn maybe my favorite mecha anime. So good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• 1. Sound! Euphonium - Beautifully made little band drama with a lovely, complicated romance woven through it.
  • 2. One Punch Man - Hilarious, action-packed, and crafted with sincere love.
  • 3. Concrete Revolutio - Part Planetary, part Watchmen, and definitely it's own thing. Beautifully and stylishly made with a cast that i love.
  • 4. Gatchaman CROWDS: Insight - An absolutely worth sequel to a show that is one of my all time favorites.
  • 5. My Love Story! - ridiculously cute and good.

Some honorable mentions:
DRRR!!! and Working!!! both were still fun and wonderful, mostly felt like sticking with things that were new to this year.
Shirobako - absolutely great in many way, i just haven't actually finished it yet. :v:
School-Live for exceeding any expectations i had going in and just being quite good.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 28, 2015

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

1. Shirobako - I've heard complaints from older directors and authors that the new generation of creators are too much fans to create anything of substance, that all they do is regurgitate their favourite shows or their own boring lives. Shirobako embraces and refutes that criticism.

2. Hibike! Euphonium - Band girls. I liked it as a more dramatic K-On!, I guess.

3. One-Punch Man

4. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April)

5. Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru (Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation)

Honorable mention to Classroom Crisis, which ended up surprisingly entertaining.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

district 12 posted:

This thread also made me watch Shirobako and I liked it until that new animator who can't speak came on and now I'm really annoyed by her presence and communication through gasps and squeaks. Does she learn to talk like an adult at some point
yes. also she's cute. also she's barely in the show.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I also did not watch the girls in a band anime because that's not a hook.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

here's a hook: it's really good

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

here's a hook: it's really good

I'm not going to watch a romance with no payoff which is what y'all have made it sound like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I'm not going to watch a romance with no payoff which is what y'all have made it sound like.
it has pay-off

in fact the final episode has one of the best pay-offs to a character arc ive ever seen

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also it's getting a second season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

romance isn't the only point of the show, anyway. it's just as much a competitive club show...just with music instead of sports.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

Wanting to see people smooch is a commendable goal.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Wark Say posted:

Wanting to see people smooch is a commendable goal.
Agreed.

Also I put this off because there's more shows I wanted to see, but it seems like that's not happening anytime soon, so uh here's a list.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW
Shirobako
One-Punch Man
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Working!!!

I think that'll do.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
1. Shirobako
2. Sound! Euphonium
3. Gatchaman Crowds Insight
4. One-Punch Man
5. Blood Blockade Battlefront

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I'm gonna smack you

with my dick

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

I'm gonna smack you

with my dick

what's that going to accomplish

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I've only seen four of the listed shows so far, although I have a fifth on the plate to watch until the new year's so I might add it later???The running theme throughout my choices is not having a lot of time this year (in general, really) so I usually watch short stuff or things I'm familiar with. With that said:

Stardust Crusaders Part 2 - Good, solid, off the wall fights sourced from a good, solid, off the wall manga wrapped in an excellent package, both visually and audibly. Lots of good tunes and always consistently entertaining.

Parasyte - Old favorite of mine, and the adaptation did a good job modernizing it. It hit all the emotional highs from the original manga, so the adaptation was nearly perfect as far as I'm concerned. There might have been flaws, but it's been a while since I've seen. I'm... actually surprised it was from this year???

Onepunch Man - An incredibly good manga with an excellent adaptation. The fact that I can recommend it to non-anime viewers is a perk in its favor as well.

Wakako Zake - A nice, short series about food, which I am a sucker for. Sadly only caught after it aired, unlike the previous shows which I watched as they aired. Its strongest point is its brevity, being able to watch the entire thing during an evening is something most anime can't do. Its weakest point is making me hungry at times where I can't get food readily :argh:

Young Black Jack - Finally got around to watching this and binged it over two days. Wonderful show that captures the spirit of Tezuka's original stories. The Hyakki arc was silly given the serious mood of the show but I'll accept it as the comedy portion of the series. I mean come on, that scene with his eye was so over the top!

Honorable mentions, maybe:

Garo - Watched the first episode, but had to drop it due to various obligations. I *am* a fan of the series though, so if I had time I might have watched it.

Seven Deadly Sins - Fan of the manga, but low on the list of manga I want to see animated given my schedule this year. I haven't actually watched it so I can't give any meaningful opinions about it.

Kamen Rider Drive - Not an anime, but it should totally be considered for one, dagnabbit! One of the strongest Kamen Rider showings recently backed mainly by an excellent cast of villains and a solid lead cast.

Akagi - Again, not an anime but it's based of a manga so it should also be considered??? Almost manages to actually cover the Washizu arc this time, but stops short because the final match hadn't started in the manga while it was airing (???). Akagi's actor did a fantastic job emulating his mannerisms and Washizu's actor was an amazing jolly old murderous grandpa. Weak point is the lack of zawas, magical sands from hell and a pale attempt at RON! RON! RON! RON! RON! RON! RON! ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 29, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Top Five
1. Shirobako - Insightful and amusing. It's a series by anime fans, for anime fans (and others). The characters have an amazing charm about them and every one (but one) is likable and endearing in their own way. The animation is top notch where it needs to be and makes no pains to flaunt it. It's hard to find fault with this, imo, besides that it may turn off those interested in particular niche series, but this could be said to be an amazing love letter to anime and the industry that produces it.

2. Hibike! Euphonium - KyoAni saving anime once again. Just like everything else they put out, the animation is immaculate and jaw dropping. The studio does its best when making comedies or rom-coms and here we have another of the latter. Every character is animated with loving detail up to and including the background characters who may only ever get a line in the entire series at the most. The musical direction is also fantastic as appropriate for an anime about a high school concert band. The main characters are charming and fun, even if the heroine of the series shares a number of personality traits of KyoAni's other male leads.

3. Ore Monogatari!! - Most :3: series of the year. If it were judged on the merits of a rom-com alone, this would be #1 of the year (maybe even decade). Since this is overall, it has to be compared in other aspects where it's not as amazing as its competitors. That doesn't mean it's bad at any of those things. Takeo's hugeness is never underemphasized or forgotten and is always used to maximum effect. Yamato is the sweetest and sugariest character could put people into cardiac arrest from how adorable she is. It gets straight As in just about everything (save for things that don't tend to get emphasized in romcoms), but it's amongst competitors that are getting A-pluses in some of of those same fields.

4. Non Non Biyori Repeat - Comfiest show this season. It's not a series that would win awards for being technically spectacular. It's not one that would keep a viewer at the edge of their seat wanting more. But watching it just gives the warm fuzzies in a way most other series can't do. It's still well animated where it counts and the characters are completely adorable and endearing.

5. Gatchaman Crowds Insight - Still cool. Still amazing. Still thought provoking, though not as much as S1. The message is a little more opaque and the resolution is a little less interesting. Still, it makes up for its smaller failings with oodles of style. The music is still fantastic and pulse pounding. The fights are still some of the best of the year. It's just not quite as good as S1.

Honorable Mentions - No particular order
One-Punch Man - If there was a number 6 spot, this would get it. The animation is amazing. The VAs are great. The story is fun and amazing and always left me wanting more. But...it just sorta falls short in that way a shonen adaptation does. It's never quite satisfying in any of the things it does besides the fighting. It's just a bit too serious where there should be more levity and there's too much drama where there should be more comedy. It does go into a but of philosophical musing of the nature of a hero, but it's too loose about it in the single cour it occupied, mostly due to it being an adaptation of an ongoing series. When compared to CROWDS or Revolutio, it falls short a little bit in that aspect.
Arslan Senki - If Arakawa had storyboarded the whole series and felt a bit more complete, this probably could've shoved its way into the top five. As it stands, it probably gets in behind OPM and is definitely nipping at the heels. It's an unfinished work, even if the anime run is technically over, and can only fare worse when compared to more finished pieces.
Concrete Revolutio - Confusing start and the series definitely needs a chart to keep track of everything going on what with the various flashbacks/forwards. It's still also half done, but it's a pretty drat good first half. Crowds is pretty much better in almost every aspect (though some of that may be because the issues and events in this series are a bit less relatable to a foreign audience). What this does better than Crowds is have characters that are more interesting and more endearing and be more apparent about what themes it's talking about.
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen - This doesn't make the five for a few reasons. One in particular is the drop in quality near the end to terrible levels. The overall vibrance also felt a bit toned down compared to the previous seasons. Though it had some of the best battles in the series, as a whole it didn't feel as interesting.
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou - An adaptation of a cult hit and part of the genesis of the monster girl trend. It is exactly what it looks like and is not at all apologetic about it. Slime best girl
Shimoneta - A moment to mourn the loss of the Student Council President of the series. She did an amazing job capturing the batshit craziness of the character. The series overall is one big dirty joke that would fit in alongside bawdy 70s comedies like Benny Hill. There are running gags, but they're never run into the ground which is impressive for a comedy like this. It scratches the itch Seitokai Yakuindomo left almost perfectly.
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou - The animation is sorta bad, but not RWBY bad. In its defense, it's done based on primarily improved recordings without storyboards to guide the VAs. And given the lead times for animation, it's pretty impressive. What's more impressive is how amusing the improved sections are. I've not watched much Japanese variety TV, but I wish we could get a show like this in the US where it's just four or more people faffing about around a table being amusing (Whose Line is close, but I give zero shits about the people on it now. QI is actually closer). It also gets special mention for having a game of Werewolf (also known as Mafia) as two of the episodes.
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - Amazingly heartwarming and continues the trend from last season. It's nice to see an otaku actually be a responsible adult in a relatively realistic manner. The same goes for his wife who has to learn to put up with his poo poo among other things that plague all people over 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Done. All glory to Shirobako.
I seriously can't think of anything wrong with this show. (...okay, new animator girl in the later half was annoying. Oh well.) It's not even a little bit spiteful, and even though the shows they're making look like run-of-the-mill standard fare (...are they? Still gotta check out the additional episodes), I've never been so invested in the fate of an, uh, anime's anime. May not beat One Punch Man for me personally, but oh well, ranking's meaningless in the top 5 anyway.

...my favorite character was Taro, because he's every annoying office dude you've ever known rolled into one, yet he grows on you :unsmith:

The anime they work on is kinda deliberately danced around because the implication is that it's actually pretty standard fare. That's kind of the hardest hitting part about the show, is that due to the realities of creative production (no matter where it is) 95% of the stuff these people will work on in their lives is doomed to nameless mediocrity, but it's their job and they're passionate about it because they have to be or else they'd go insane or end up like that PA in the second half. It's a cool part of the show that's never blatantly addressed (that I can recall, it's been a while) but it kinda haunts the entire series

• Locked thread