Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A joke Easy wheat and chaff we ran one time revealed that everyone starts with a medkit instead of healing draught, and a strength potion. There were also noticeably fewer rats and tons of items in addition to them being easy to kill and doing trivial damage. Although I'm wondering if all the items we saw was just a side effect of us needing to use fewer of them (it does seem like difficulty affects # of items though).

A random level 3 joined us so we hauled him through hard after that game, and then he rolled a 7 and got an orange greatsword for kruber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Just got this yesterday, and it's pretty fun! I'm a bit confused as to how best to play as the Empire Soldier, though - when I wade out in front and swing my 2-handed hammer I keep getting surrounded and murdered by the smaller ones. I know I have a sweep attack, but its timing is a little tough.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
For any new players who have picked up the game - power attacks are the same regardless of whether you hold the mouse button down all the way through the charging animation, or you let go as soon as possible for it to count as a power attack.
The key to using power attacks as your main attack (which is what shield weapons and 2h hammers do on multiple targets) is getting used to how quickly you can release the mouse button, and walking back while charging and moving forward when swinging. Get into a rythym.
Also, if you swing your mouse in the direction of the swing mid-animation, it'll hit more targets.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Charging an attack for the minimum length of time does exactly the same damage as charging until the game makes you release the attack. Holding any longer than what it takes to do a charge attack is purely a timing thing.
Is this true for sorceress rightclick+leftclick aoe balls too?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Sure seems like it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Some of the bright wizards staffs are an exception to this. They increase their AOE the longer that they are charged. However, the damage itself remains constant.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I dont know posted:

Some of the bright wizards staffs are an exception to this. They increase their AOE the longer that they are charged. However, the damage itself remains constant.

Definitely not true on the bolt staff. A full lightning bolt does more damage than a quick fired one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

No, as those are ranged weapons so it's not exactly the same as a charge attack. Holding longer gives you a more powerful bolt, bigger fireball, or bigger conflagration (or obviously just keeps your beam running) depending on the staff you're using.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah I just got gifted this for Christmas from my brother - I'm pretty poo poo at it.

Was tossing up between the soldier and witch hunter, decided on soldier as he has a sweet feathered hat.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So the beam staff's left click makes my game crash on White Rat, that's pretty cool.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

el dingo posted:

Was tossing up between the soldier and witch hunter, decided on soldier as he has a sweet feathered hat.
you are playing the right game friend

not to imply the witch hunter sucks (he owns actually) but making any choices based on kruber's sweet hat are choices well made

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

At first I didn't like playing Witch Hunter but then I stopped being an ammo conserving baby and started firing my guns all the time and he became super fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Blocking works 360 degrees around you.

Do they ever tell you this? :stare:

I keep dying even on easy but Vick Saltpyre owns so much I'm not even mad. Wish GW would let their ~*brand*~ out to breathe a little more. Any tips for an idiot?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bogart posted:

Wish GW would let their ~*brand*~ out to breathe a little more.

Unfortunately Fantasy breathes no more at all. Like it still boggles my mind, Blood Bowl 2, Vermintide, Total Warhammer all get made and talked up in pretty quick timing and spread around the WH Fantasy setting a bit more, people who otherwise didn't know about it suddenly are like "Hey this stuff is pretty cool" and yet GW only did this after they've killed the setting.

It's sad because a bunch of dudes I've talked to have said initially they learned about 40K through the videogames, then read up on it and became big fans, then recently they've gotten more into the Fantasy junk too and it's like "Heeeey guys, welcome to the party :unsmith:"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's really odd that the best way to get the traditional Warhammer Fantasy experience is going to be to buy Total War: Warhammer and never ever play Age of Sigmar

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bogart posted:

I keep dying even on easy but Vick Saltpyre owns so much I'm not even mad. Wish GW would let their ~*brand*~ out to breathe a little more. Any tips for an idiot?

Couple of things. I've only made it to the lofty heights of ~Hard~ and the occasional Nightmare run but here are some of the things that were tripping me up.

Don't get tunnel vision. It's really tempting to try to snipe a special or a clan rat or even just make a break for an objective but I'm telling you the moment you stop paying attention to the immediate 360 degree area around your own body a clan rat will stab you in the kidney. It's like the Murphy's Law of this game. Even when a rogre shows up try to look out for clan rats. With some experience you can start doing the sniping thing or the rushing thing a little more reliably but at first watch your own rear end. Check your flank. Check other people's flanks.

Don't lag behind and make sure you wait up for stragglers. Going it alone is going to get everybody killed as you all die one by one. As an addendum to that sometimes it's worthwhile to let one person die so the rest of you may live. One guy runs off and gets nabbed by a packmaster, dragged through a hoard and then hoisted next to a ratling gunner? Unless he's got a grimoire just loving leave him. You'll all die one by one trying to save him.

Keep moving and keep blocking. More than 2 clanrats is a serious threat to a character, particularly if you have no good AOE option. I'm not saying to keep running in straight line but check your flank, use the dodge button and move around to get the best angle. Ideally you want a situation where only one clanrat is actually attacking you at any given nanosecond, so keep changing position until that's what you've got. This changes a bit for Kruber/Dwarf because of their shield options. And keep blocking, particularly if you've been cornered during a hoard or event.

Use items. People get so focused on healing items that they often forget to use bombs/potions. Use them because it's better to 'waste' an item and live than it is to hold onto it for the mythical final showdown that never comes. Sometimes the best uses for them is just on bog-standard hoards.

Don't hold your charge for longer than the minimum necessary, particularly if you're playing WH. Saltzpyre can thrust pretty quickly with the rapier and that can hit multiple clanrats. Same goes for 2H weapons; keep swinging. Aim for the head, but not to the exclusion of all else.

That's about it I think.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Mendrian posted:

Use items. People get so focused on healing items that they often forget to use bombs/potions. Use them because it's better to 'waste' an item and live than it is to hold onto it for the mythical final showdown that never comes. Sometimes the best uses for them is just on bog-standard hoards.

That's about it I think.

When roger comes, pop str pots then toss your bombs. Also be careful with this as hard+ has FF on and your bombs can kill your buds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bogart posted:

Hi! I use mostly Saltzpyre. He's super fun.

Best way to learn Victor in my opinion is to start with the rapier. Rapier has a bunch of advantages:
- The fast swing can hit cleave through enormous numbers of rats, and has an infinite swing combo with no dead time. If you have multiple small rats in front of you, just flail away with a swing swing swing swing swing. Try to get in a rhythm where you strafe a bit to the left as your swing goes left, and then strafe a bit to the right as your swing goes right. As you get more experience at the game, you'll notice that sometimes rats heads fly off when you hit them, this means you killed them with a headshot. Headshots do bonus damage no matter what weapon you're using, so as you learn how to position your swings for headshots you'll do more damage.

- The stab charge attack charges faster than any other melee weapon in the game, so you can spam them super quick. If you are fighting individual small rats or a single stormvermin or special rat, then spam charged attacks, again aiming for the head if you can manage it. It is possible to stunlock stormvermin to death by spamming charged attacks on them with a fast weapon like the rapier.

- The rapier lets you move at 75% speed while blocking. Most weapons in the game slow their wielder by 50% while blocking. Make use of this! If you're in a bad situation, don't try to kill all the rats around you, just hold block (it defends you in 360 degrees!) and backdash to a better position. The rapier has six stamina (each shield icon represents 2), and stamina comes back quite quickly.

- The offhand pistol is pretty bad for dealing damage, but if you see a small rat about to stab a buddy in the back as he's distracted, pop off a quick shot to save them. Remember that conserving your own health is your #1 priority, but your #2 priority is conserving your teammates' health.

As for ranged weapons, start with the brace of pistols. As you learn the levels better you'll get a feel for how spendy you can be with your bullets while still running from ammo dump to ammo dump. Ask your buddies where and if Roger is likely to appear in a given level. If he's likely to show up soon, save lots of pistol ammo - bombs aside, the fastest DPS in the game against Roger is the wizard's beam staff, and the witch hunter's brace of pistols.

When thinking about how to spend your ammo, consider your teammates' weapons. Wizards never need ammo. If your buddies brought big slow ranged weapons like the handgun or crossbow, they probably don't need many ammo drops, so you can be more free with your bullets. The Soldier's repeater handgun and Dwarf's grudge raker (shotgun) are more ammo hungry. Elf pretty much needs lots of ammo no matter what ranged weapon she brings, so if you have an elf in your party, make sure you coordinate so nobody runs dry.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got a sweet Shrieker staff and upgraded it to self heal on some kills but I haven't got good loot since, because randos are even worse at this game than me and can barely speedrun Easy, let alone get tomes. How can I get some more non garbage and what are some sweet tips for Bright Wizard?

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
I need some folks to play this with. It's suggested that I join the Steam Group chat, but I have no idea what Steam Group that is. Here's my SteamID, if that helps: https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/frocious

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Frocious posted:

I need some folks to play this with. It's suggested that I join the Steam Group chat, but I have no idea what Steam Group that is. Here's my SteamID, if that helps: https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/frocious

The group is called goonintide.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

At first I didn't like playing Witch Hunter but then I stopped being an ammo conserving baby and started firing my guns all the time and he became super fun.

Have you ever fired two guns into the air while telling "aaah"?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got a sweet Shrieker staff and upgraded it to self heal on some kills but I haven't got good loot since, because randos are even worse at this game than me and can barely speedrun Easy, let alone get tomes. How can I get some more non garbage and what are some sweet tips for Bright Wizard?

My first piece of advice is to try a harder difficulty level. I usually run Nightmare and have (I'd guess) a 3:1 win ratio despite playing only with randoms. If you're on Hard+, you'll probably get grouped with at least one person who kinda knows their poo poo. Alternately, you could learn the stuff yourself and teach the newbies.

I play the wizard almost exclusively, and here's what I do. Lots of people argue about what staff is best, but I prefer Bolt staff for fun-value, and Beam staff for effectiveness. (By Shrieker staff, I assume you mean a blue Beam staff.) If you get a Bolt staff, look for one with the Targeter trait, since its primary fire is a bit too wild otherwise. The alt-fire is always super fun though, and does ludicrous damage.

For the Beam staff, your primary attack is great for crowd control and assisting your teammates (especially if they're idiots). Assuming you got a good roll on your heal trait, it should proc pretty often with your primary fire. Any time a horde seems like it's starting to overwhelm the group, pop off a shot or two with the primary fire. Important fact: the primary fire doesn't damage friendlies in Nightmare+!

The alt-fire owns too (although be careful in Nightmare+ because it friendly-fires and can put a DoT on your teammates that loving hurts). If you pop a strength pot and shoot that beam at the rat ogre, he'll die ridiculously fast. It's pretty good for Stormvermin too, since a headshot stunlocks them. Many people advise against using it on clanrats/slaves, but they're wrong. If you're in an open area and can sweep that beam over a bunch of basic rats, they go down pretty fast. That said, for this case, you probably want the Stability trait to reduce heat buildup. The fact that the alt-fire has a decent zoom and you don't have to lead your targets also helps.

Bonus secret Beam staff feature: use the alt-fire beam and then left-click for a little explosion that does more damage. It uses a fair amount of heat, but it's great for dropping Stormvermin faster.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Whichever staff it is, the one that shoots rapid fire little balls of fire is amazing. The primary fire sucks unless you're popping a strength pot to fry a roger, but the secondary fire is great - if you charge it up it will dunk specials, and if you let off completely uncharged bolts it will still oneshot basic rats and pierce through several of them, so it's pretty nice for crowd clearing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Magres posted:

Whichever staff it is, the one that shoots rapid fire little balls of fire is amazing. The primary fire sucks unless you're popping a strength pot to fry a roger, but the secondary fire is great - if you charge it up it will dunk specials, and if you let off completely uncharged bolts it will still oneshot basic rats and pierce through several of them, so it's pretty nice for crowd clearing.

Yeah, that's the Bolt staff, and the primary fire owns if you have Targeter on it. It's great for mowing down hordes. I don't use it too much anymore though, since it's too easy to hit allies with it in Nightmare, and the soldier/dwarf are usually packing better sniping weapons anyway.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I ignored the beam staff until I rolled a pretty solid orange and never looked back. Close range crowd control is nuts and, as previously stated, absolutely melts rogers when combined with a strength potion. Just be careful of dumb asses who decide to walk into the beam, poo poo hurts.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Magres posted:

Have you ever fired two guns into the air while telling "aaah"?

Yes, but I say it IRL and over voice coms.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I've only played for like 4 hours, almost entirely as the Imperial Soldier using a sword+shield and some kind of lovely green blunderbuss. I'm doing really god on normal/hard maps, usually top in melee kills, but I can't seem to do anything to Stormvermin unless I get super lucky and score a really good headshot with my blunderbuss. Is that pretty much all I can do without an armor penetrating weapon?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got the orange gunnery school guide which sounded horrible for nightmare due to the friendly fire caused by bombs, so I did some tests to see just how bad it really is by throwing bombs at my feet (probably the most damage you can take from a bomb unless getting beaned by one from someone else somehow does more).

You have 11 bars of health. A normal bomb and an improved bomb did the same damage, about 1.4 bars of health each. A firebomb did about .75 of a bar from the explosion, and then .75 again from the burning.

This means firebombs are generally much more dangerous to you because just being on the edge of the explosion or running through the area afterward will set you on fire for the full damage, while being on the edge of a normal bomb explosion will just graze you. I was also surprised to see how little damage they actually do by themselves. Just getting hit by 2 normal rats on nightmare does more damage to you than a direct hit from a bomb, so if you're surrounded and likely to get hit 2 times or more, I'd say bombs are still decent panic options on nightmare. Definitely still worth being careful if you have 2 grimoires or someone is on white health, and I could see the damage on cataclysm being more significant, but on nightmare I think it's probably better to cause damage to yourself with bombs than to take hits from rats because you avoided using the bomb.

I'll need to try out the trinket on nightmare to see if it's worth it, but just from the numbers I think it will be.

Frog Act posted:

So I've only played for like 4 hours, almost entirely as the Imperial Soldier using a sword+shield and some kind of lovely green blunderbuss. I'm doing really god on normal/hard maps, usually top in melee kills, but I can't seem to do anything to Stormvermin unless I get super lucky and score a really good headshot with my blunderbuss. Is that pretty much all I can do without an armor penetrating weapon?

All melee charge attacks are armor piercing and the shield hits fast enough to stunlock them forever. Just shield bash them forever until you bowling ball them away, which is already what you want to be doing with the shield.

Switch to a different ranged weapon for the sgt as soon as you get one, both his other options are armor piercing and orders of magnitude better

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

If you just don't have the equipment yet then basically the Stormvermin are someone else's problem (hopefully). If you get a handgun then hang onto to that poo poo even if it's white quality because it can accurately blow heads off.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Frog Act posted:

The blunderbuss becomes a much better tool to deal with stormvermin/specials once you find a blue or orange one. I think with an orange one you can bodyshot most specials even on nightmare and still get a one hit kill.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's a roger

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Gort posted:

What's a roger
Rat Ogre

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Roger is real, and strong, and my friend.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So let me get this straight: The Skaven are a race of large-nosed literal vermin untermensch who go around stabbing people in the back and poisoning wells, causing problems for the German empire and whose presence in a certain location is necessary to bring about the end times?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nanomashoes posted:

So let me get this straight: The Skaven are a race of large-nosed literal vermin untermensch who go around stabbing people in the back and poisoning wells, causing problems for the German empire and whose presence in a certain location is necessary to bring about the end times?

The Skaven use gas against the Not-Germans though, not the other way around.

Theory wrecked.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They also worship the chaos gods, who are cthulhus, and who are the real problem.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They are a bunch of backstabbing racial suprematists, sometime dressed in brown shirts, using mad science and causing problems for the German Empire because of how belligerent and ridiculously rascist they are, yes indeed. They are Nazis by any other name.

It's almost unsettling how people instantly conflate Jewish people and the racist imagery they have been saddled with.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sometimes the heroes call the Stormvermin "black rats".

Calling them black because they are big and scary???? Disgusting racism.

• Locked thread