Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm just worried that with two conspiracies run by the federal government, they'll cut Valkyrie in favor of VASCU. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, VALKYRIE and VASCU work great together because they're explicitly very unfriendly towards each other - VALKYRIE doesn't play by the rules and stomps all over your nice, legal FBI case. It's an amazing dynamic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, VASCU and Valkyrie occupy different niches both in-setting and from an out-of-setting perspective. One is about the blackest of ops and terminating monsters with extreme prejudice (except when their secret backers call them off for ~mysterious reasons~) and one is about investigating crimes and solving mysteries culminating, hopefully, with an arrest rather than a pile of ashes. Also VASCU has the whole X-Files thing going for them where despite their successes they're still a bit ragtag and fringe and viewed with suspicion and confusion by their more normal Bureau counterparts while TFV is all elite tier one black budget and stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One is X-COM, one is X-Files.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, VALKYRIE and VASCU work great together because they're explicitly very unfriendly towards each other - VALKYRIE doesn't play by the rules and stomps all over your nice, legal FBI case. It's an amazing dynamic.

I think one of my favorite little setting-building comments in Hunter is that VASCU has a dedicated bureaucratic code for when VALKYRIE Freedoms the poo poo out of a case.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Daeren posted:

I think one of my favorite little setting-building comments in Hunter is that VASCU has a dedicated bureaucratic code for when VALKYRIE Freedoms the poo poo out of a case.

VALKYRIE gently caress yeah!

-Dracula explodes-

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Josef bugman posted:

VALKYRIE gently caress yeah!

-Dracula explodes-

Goddamit, we were just about to get him for over a hundred years of tax evasion! You just cost the country billions!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lot of unpatriotic, namby-pamby VASCU sympathizers in this thread :911:.

Valkyrie probably sees VASCU as naive small-timers unable to see the big picture and how terrifying and dangerous it is. Favorably, they want to help them, might even prefer revealing the truth and going after things on the book, but the big picture is classified and it's hard enough to get civilians to comprehend real world military experiences, let alone ones where the enemy isn't even human. Unfavorably, they're just as lost as them because their superiors keep them in the dark, so they just tell them they can't handle the truth.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MonsieurChoc posted:

Goddamit, we were just about to get him for over a hundred years of tax evasion! You just cost the country billions!

Suck it nerds! Woooooooooooo

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Kavak posted:

Lot of unpatriotic, namby-pamby VASCU sympathizers in this thread :911:.

Valkyrie probably sees VASCU as naive small-timers unable to see the big picture and how terrifying and dangerous it is. Favorably, they want to help them, might even prefer revealing the truth and going after things on the book, but the big picture is classified and it's hard enough to get civilians to comprehend real world military experiences, let alone ones where the enemy isn't even human. Unfavorably, they're just as lost as them because their superiors keep them in the dark, so they just tell them they can't handle the truth.

So they are both the xfiles?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

drgnvale posted:

So they are both the xfiles?

Valkyrie feels more Delta Green flavored than X-Files. There's a nod to The Shadow over Innsmouth in their part of the corebook, too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"I like the Barrett Commission," a lone voice howls into the void.

Specifically, I like "Drunk Lindsey Graham, Vampire Hunter".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Barretts are cool, yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, I'd say Night Stalkers had some of the strongest new Compacts with the Barrett and the Night Watch.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I'd say Night Stalkers had some of the strongest new Compacts with the Barrett and the Night Watch.

I think the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood is pretty good too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Denim Avenger posted:

I think the Maiden's Blood Sisterhood is pretty good too.

Yeah, I was saying overall using those two as examples.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Too bad about the Cainite Heresy though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

Too bad about the Cainite Heresy though

They're better than the Carrefour guys, I guess?

I mean, they're not playable or fun, but they make pretty scary antagonists for a Vampire game at least.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're better than the Carrefour guys, I guess?

I mean, they're not playable or fun, but they make pretty scary antagonists for a Vampire game at least.

What's Carrefour, again?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think he means the conspiracy of Bad Idea Bears from Spirit Slayers.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Ah. Agreed, they're good antagonists/complications, but terrible PCs.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I still want to know why their two page splash illustration has them wearing Iron Fist masks. Was that in the art notes or was that the illustrator's idea? I'm not sure which possibility is more confusing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, those guys.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is anyone else following the Onyx Path facebook account? Because they're posting fanart and photos from Changeling fans and it's hilarious.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That is a sorrowful tattoo. The sigil itself would be not bad, if cliche. Add the stained glass, ugly. Now, let's add some text because what is aesthetics. And that nocker's truck is poo poo compared to what the Pakistanis get up to.

This is awesome, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Deep Dream loves dogs and eyes. I never could figure out why.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It was probably trained on a series of images containing dogs and eyes.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Next Hunter Open Dev post is up!

This one is about Compacts in general and globalization. Also what your three favorite compacts are and why.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The number of people going to bat for Ashwood Abbey in the comments section of that blog is both surprising and very, very not-surprising.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

Deep Dream loves dogs and eyes. I never could figure out why.

Pattern recognition is a strange thing, but recognizing eyes makes sense. It's meant to see patterns in images the same way we do, and the thing we naturally zone in on is anything that looks like a face, human or otherwise.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

For me, my favourite three Compacts have always been Ashwood Abbey, Null Mysteriis and Network Zero. With the Abbey it was that sort of wildly human element of “Why wouldn’t someone do this for fun?” That it was even an option was a shot across the bow in the Core that this wasn’t anywhere near as simple as being a holy mission or quest of vengeance.

I mean, who wouldn't rape a werewolf?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If Ashwood Abbey was a bunch of rich assholes fighting evil as a daytrip that turns horrific sometimes they'd be kinda fun to have around, but the whole raptastic version of them is just not a good plan.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
More 'Well, old chap, John, James, the Baron Rothsburg and I were out grouse hunting one day and we saw the damnedest thing. A wolf turning into a man! Naturally, we shot him in the head because what else is one to do in such a situation? And that is how Ashwood Abbey started hunting monsters." and less 'Have you ever hosed a man who could fly?' please.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

If Ashwood Abbey was a bunch of rich assholes fighting evil as a daytrip that turns horrific sometimes they'd be kinda fun to have around, but the whole raptastic version of them is just not a good plan.

Loomer posted:

More 'Well, old chap, John, James, the Baron Rothsburg and I were out grouse hunting one day and we saw the damnedest thing. A wolf turning into a man! Naturally, we shot him in the head because what else is one to do in such a situation? And that is how Ashwood Abbey started hunting monsters." and less 'Have you ever hosed a man who could fly?' please.

These are more or less my thoughts on the matter, and it's in fact what I thought Ashwood Abbey was going to be based on extremely early descriptions of them instead of the whole "Hellfire Club except sometimes they hunt monsters, or maybe they are the monsters, ~oooooooohhhhh~" version we actually got. I don't mind it if various Hunter organizations have some (or a lot) of ambiguity in precisely how "good" they are...hell, I'm a huge fan of the Cheiron Group despite the fact that they're basically the Umbrella Corporation trying to find the next big wonder-drug by cramming monster parts into people...but Ashwood Abbey is just insufferable.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I fixed Ashwood Abbey by making them Wooster with no Jeeves. I figured the rape etc. stuff was just That One Guy getting a Conspiracy to himself. Like, if he'd gotten the Malleus it'd have been all about pedophile Hunters. I dunno, clubkids vs Nosferatu worked well for my group.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That, and taking idle rich who have nothing in their lives that actually means anything to them and suddenly exposing them to the Vigil and giving them a glance at what happens in the dark corners of the earth seems like a great way to get some great mental breaks or some really impressive heroics and character development.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kai Tave posted:

These are more or less my thoughts on the matter, and it's in fact what I thought Ashwood Abbey was going to be based on extremely early descriptions of them instead of the whole "Hellfire Club except sometimes they hunt monsters, or maybe they are the monsters, ~oooooooohhhhh~" version we actually got. I don't mind it if various Hunter organizations have some (or a lot) of ambiguity in precisely how "good" they are...hell, I'm a huge fan of the Cheiron Group despite the fact that they're basically the Umbrella Corporation trying to find the next big wonder-drug by cramming monster parts into people...but Ashwood Abbey is just insufferable.

Cheiron benefitted from its writers not even trying to make them anything but a somewhat more competent version of Umbrella. The Abbey had several competing methods of presenting them in the different books.

Peztopiary posted:

I fixed Ashwood Abbey by making them Wooster with no Jeeves. I figured the rape etc. stuff was just That One Guy getting a Conspiracy to himself. Like, if he'd gotten the Malleus it'd have been all about pedophile Hunters. I dunno, clubkids vs Nosferatu worked well for my group.

Night10194 posted:

That, and taking idle rich who have nothing in their lives that actually means anything to them and suddenly exposing them to the Vigil and giving them a glance at what happens in the dark corners of the earth seems like a great way to get some great mental breaks or some really impressive heroics and character development.

Loomer posted:

Yeah, a compact that's a cross between The Most Dangerous Game, (Were)Wolf of Wall Street, and "Abbot, Costello, and the Rich Kids of Instagram meet Frankenstein" has miles upon miles of potential. You just need to weed-whack your way through all the Slaanesh stuff.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Should I rely on/exploit this rich dude who thinks hunting vampires is good for a laugh and stands a good chance of getting himself or other people killed but he can bankroll our efforts in a way that very few other people can, am I willing to involve this guy despite the potential risks?" is a better and more interesting question than "should I make friends with the people who snort powdered werewolf dongs y/n?"

Beyond the skeezier elements part of what makes Ashwood Abbey weak as a Hunter group imo is they don't really have any strong driving motivation or mission. The Union wants to protect their turf which is basic but a solid reason to go hunt vampires and werewolves, you're protecting your own. VASCU has a duty to find and arrest criminals that normal police and federal agents can't. Cheiron needs more monsters for R&D, the Barrett Commission is trying to keep vampires from secretly subverting the government and major political and financial power structures, Network Zero wants to get the truth out to people, etc. Ashwood Abbey...hunts monsters because it's fun I guess. I mean yes, as players playing an RPG it is in fact fun to hunt monsters, but as the major motivation behind one of the setting's big power players, "#YOLO" isn't really that interesting a (melo)dramatic hook for an entire PC-intended group to be based around.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Part of the mission for the Abbey can be a twisted noblesse obligee. Your responsibility to the proles means you and Muffy (and your lackeys) are going to go after the things that go bump in the night. I think that a group of rich jerks adds to the Hunt. I also had that the parties they can throw are effectively supernatural, in that people (and other things) are compelled to show up. Maybe it costs you five dots in resources, but the subject of your Hunt shows up at your rave even if they aren't really sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daeren posted:

Yeah, a compact that's a cross between The Most Dangerous Game, (Were)Wolf of Wall Street, and "Abbot, Costello, and the Rich Kids of Instagram meet Frankenstein" has miles upon miles of potential. You just need to weed-whack your way through all the Slaanesh stuff.

Can literally weed-whacking through the Slaanesh stuff with a bunch of dimension travelling Spehss Murines or your choice of Warhammer guys be it's own campaign?

This wouldn't be half as bothersome if they were the Oakwood Abbey or something, just let the other compacts influence the reader so they get to it and think "Oh, a pure antagonist faction" instead of "Wow this is creepy poo poo, I regret buying this book."