Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Breaking: ISF claims they have just recaptured Ramadi, and Peshmerga and US SF forces have raided ISIS base in Hawija

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
This is hope against hope but I wonder at what point the rank and file realize this is not the real caliphate and we see a failure cascade. It will be interesting to see how this all ends up.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think that'd be Yemen. First it devoured Egypt's deployment, and now it continues to eat off KSA's intervention.

Also, Israel are the clear Jedi of the region, and Iran the Sith.

Ummmm, so Israel is a group of religious fanatics who sleepwalked into a deserved genocide?? Mods?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Having not played SWTOR in a long time can you please elaborate?

The Republic side stories are all largely boring, but the Jedi's are the worst of the lot. In addition, the Republic is consistently portrayed as corrupt and/or incompetent, and entirely willing to compromise morals at the drop of a hat. The Jedi largely follow their marching orders to the letter, such as not helping a group of villagers under attack by monsters because the Republic doesn't want them on a planet.

The Empire stories are not only more interesting than the Republic, playing a light side Sith turns you into feeling like the only sane person in the galaxy. While the Empire is transparently the "baddies," there is little difference between them and the Republic.

The story writers interestingly point out a few times that the majority of the galaxy doesn't care who "owns" the planet, they just want to be left alone. If you want greater details, ask in the SWTOR thread and goons will post about it for pages.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
It's USA vs Soviet Russia Roman–Persian Wars in Space.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTwbz8v0NDM

Fireworks celebrating the liberation of Ramadi

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Freedom Falcons have claimed responsibility for this weeks Istanbul bombing. Killed a cleaning lady, way to win western hearts and minds.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think that'd be Yemen. First it devoured Egypt's deployment, and now it continues to eat off KSA's intervention.

Also, Israel are the clear Jedi of the region, and Iran the Sith.

Wait, the Israelis are a faction we're told we should sympathize with but actually turn out to be murderous thugs high on their own supply and were prevented from unlawfully establishing their own state? When did you come around on the Israelis there MIGF?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FaustianQ posted:

Wait, the Israelis are a faction we're told we should sympathize with but actually turn out to be murderous thugs high on their own supply and were prevented from unlawfully establishing their own state? When did you come around on the Israelis there MIGF?

When Iran killed Han Solo while Israel advanced the cause of gender equality in combat forces

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Apparently MIGF thinks that allowing Iran to kill all the Jewish children will one day save the galaxy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

Apparently MIGF thinks that allowing Iran to kill all the Jewish children will one day save the galaxy.

Why does MIGF want Iran to kill all the Israeli children, then for Israel to pack it up, cede its territory, and run away to become an isolationist on a different planet? Is he some kind of anti-semite?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/EjmAlrai/status/681181905371402242

quote:

"Get ready Jarablus (#ISIS), we are coming." #YPG fighter writes on Tishreen Dam. Photo by @rojinakin v @dijraberi

https://twitter.com/4rj1n/status/680836424623648771

quote:

After taking control of Tishrin Dam SDF operation continues w. coalition airsupport on the western side of Euphrates. #TwitterKurds

quote:

SDF advanced 2 km west of Tishrin Dam. Fierce ongoing clashes with ISIS. 1 SVBIED neutralized. 11 ISIS bodies in SDF possession.

Coalition is providing airsupport to SDF. Further north, ISIS shell Girê Ebir & Qibê villages (on the eastern banks) from western banks.
Turkey's "red line" just got crossed, and nothing has happened (yet).

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Freedom Falcons have claimed responsibility for this weeks Istanbul bombing. Killed a cleaning lady, way to win western hearts and minds.

The TAK coming back after years of inactivity is a really bad sign by the way, they where always much more indiscriminate in their attacks and considered to be much more hardline than the PKK military leadership were (at least openly).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Can't say Turkey hasn't brought it on themselves.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So is it confirmed that the YPG has crossed the Euphrates? Like somewhere other than twitter?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Roland posted:

So is it confirmed that the YPG has crossed the Euphrates? Like somewhere other than twitter?

I'm pretty sure I heard Erdogan's gnashing teeth all the way here a few hours ago, so probably.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Count Roland posted:

I found an article or two, but they're ANHA and they both lead back to the same twitter stuff I've been posting. The problem is a lot of this stuff is only reported via twitter, it takes regular news outlets days to report it, if they bother to mention it at all.

It's like, a lot of the tweets have pictures attached, the YPG/SDF obviously took Tishrin dam with the assistance of coalition airstrikes, and so when those same tweet sources say the YPG/SDF are entering the town of Tishrin with the assistance of coalition airstrikes I tend to believe them.

I guess you can have this as some kind of proof:
Nope, no embedding this one

quote:

Update #tashrin town
#YPG #SDF entered the town till now 7 #ISIS killed
Clashes on going, #twitterkurds
Attached to the tweet is a picture of a YPG/SDF dude next to a dead ISIL fighter from a town, which I presume to be Tishrin since that's where the fighting is.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 9, 2016

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Can't say Turkey hasn't brought it on themselves.

Funny how no one would say 9/11 was deserved, but when muslims face terrorism folks say poo poo like this.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
The tweets I'm posting also aren't just random, unsourced tweets, they're generally from the same group of twitter users (Jack Shahine, Dr. Partizan, Cahida Dêrsim/@dilkocer, A Dunon/@4rj1n, and the general #twitterkurds group among others) so by now I recognize them and they've been generally as accurate (or more accurate) than regular news sources.

Just because it's from twitter doesn't mean it's inaccurate, a huge part of the Syrian Civil War is from twitter. You have to learn to know how accurate a source is and what biases they have (Peto Lucem being a pro-gov mapmaker, for example) when looking at what they're saying is happening on the ground.

lilljonas posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard Erdogan's gnashing teeth all the way here a few hours ago, so probably.
Erdogan has got to be loving fuming knowing there's not a drat thing he can do about this latest advance. Manbij is out of range of Turkish artillery, and flying planes over the area would run the risk of dealing with Russian, US, or Syrian (helicopter) planes already in the area.

And Erdogan knows he can't complain too loudly because the US/NATO backed him after he shot down that Russian plane. Privately I'm assuming that's why the US is now okay backing the YPG/SDF into Turkey's "safe zone", because they know Turkey isn't in a position to complain or make demands.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 27, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Breaking: ISF claims they have just recaptured Ramadi, and Peshmerga and US SF forces have raided ISIS base in Hawija

good news for once. are they still fighting holdout or is ISIS pulling out?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I know it won't happen in a day, but what happens if the kurds/rebels take Manbij? How would that affect ISIL?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

uninterrupted posted:

Funny how no one would say 9/11 was deserved, but when muslims face terrorism folks say poo poo like this.

He was talking about the YPG crossing the Euphrates, not the loving terrorist attacks, Captain Offended.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good news for once. are they still fighting holdout or is ISIS pulling out?

Allegedly the raid on Hawija was to free Peshmerga captives again, and ISF control 60% of Ramadi.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Allegedly the raid on Hawija was to free Peshmerga captives again, and ISF control 60% of Ramadi.

And Ramadi is surrounded so presumably there's no pulling out for Daesh.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

The tweets I'm posting also aren't just random, unsourced tweets, they're generally from the same group of twitter users (Jack Shahine, Dr. Partizan, Cahida Dêrsim/@dilkocer, A Dunon/@4rj1n, and the general #twitterkurds group among others) so by now I recognize them and they've been generally as accurate (or more accurate) than regular news sources.

Just because it's from twitter doesn't mean it's inaccurate, a huge part of the Syrian Civil War is from twitter. You have to learn to know how accurate a source is and what biases they have (Peto Lucem being a pro-gov mapmaker, for example) when looking at what they're saying is happening on the ground.

Erdogan has got to be loving fuming knowing there's not a drat thing he can do about this latest advance. Manbij is out of range of Turkish artillery, and flying planes over the area would run the risk of dealing with Russian, US, or Syrian (helicopter) planes already in the area.

And Erdogan knows he can't complain too loudly because the US/NATO backed him after he shot down that Russian plane. Privately I'm assuming that's why the US is now okay backing the YPG/SDF into Turkey's "safe zone", because they know Turkey isn't in a position to complain or make demands.

Thank goodness for Putin's intervention in Syria, without which ISIL would not be rolling back as they currently are by mostly appropriate forces due to Turkish air support.

Turkey wants to bomb YPG forces in Syria? I'm sure Russians would love to shoot themselves down some Turkish jets and bomb Turkish convoys.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Anosmoman posted:

there's no pulling out for Daesh.

It's an ineffective strategy anyway.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

I know it won't happen in a day, but what happens if the kurds/rebels take Manbij? How would that affect ISIL?
It makes ISIL's supply lines to Raqqa much longer than they currently are. Here's a map from reddit from a few days ago:

Here's the current control map:

One year ago, ISIL had control of Tal Abyad, which meant that their supply lines went straight from the Turkish border to Raqqa. When that was cut off in May/June by the Tal Abyad offensive, that meant ISIL's supply lines got a lot longer, since they had to go from Jarabulus through Manbij through Tishrin dam to Raqqa.

Now, Tishrin dam is cut off, meaning ISIL has to go through that chokepoint between Lake Jabboul/Jabbul on the left and Lake Assad/Revolution Lake on the right, and enter Raqqa from the south across the Euphrates. (A lot of those bridges south of Raqqa have been destroyed, making this even harder.)

If Manbij is taken, that makes ISIL's supply lines even longer, and put ISIL at serious risk of being choked off entirely from access to the Turkish border depending how all the other forces in the area react to the YPG/SDF taking Manbij.

ISIL is slowly being choked off; you might say the plan going forward is to "degrade, and ultimately destroy" them.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 27, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

It's an ineffective strategy anyway.

true. where would they pull out too. My guess is either surrender or fight to the last man.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

SSNeoman posted:

I already see Kurdish nationalists claiming Manbij is majority Kurd. Which I'm sure it will be when they're done with it.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 28, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

This is a much more clear cut case of begging for blowback.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Why does MIGF want Iran to kill all the Israeli children, then for Israel to pack it up, cede its territory, and run away to become an isolationist on a different planet? Is he some kind of anti-semite?
He probably thinks it would shut up all the men in the Arab world butt-hurt about their atrocities against Palestine, and in driving them out would also significantly lessen the US as a focus for their hate (supporting Israel and all). And that without such conflict (brought upon by, you know, genocide) that such Islamist sentiments against the west so everyone can go sing 'kumbaya'. Except that, you know, the Middle East is already drying up (in terms of food, water and oil) in resources, that, couped with an exploding population of disgruntled young zealots, is already going to launch the Middle East into a socio-ecological death spiral anyways, no matter what we do.

In short he's trying to be all Tywin Lannister/Machiavellian and poo poo, (and I wouldn't have known better than to concur 5 years ago) but is failing epically on many levels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

He probably thinks it would shut up all the men in the Arab world butt-hurt about their atrocities against Palestine, and in driving them out would also significantly lessen the US as a focus for their hate (supporting Israel and all). And that without such conflict (brought upon by, you know, genocide) that such Islamist sentiments against the west so everyone can go sing 'kumbaya'. Except that, you know, the Middle East is already drying up (in terms of food, water and oil) in resources, that, couped with an exploding population of disgruntled young zealots, is already going to launch the Middle East into a socio-ecological death spiral anyways, no matter what we do.

In short he's trying to be all Tywin Lannister/Machiavellian and poo poo, (and I wouldn't have known better than to concur 5 years ago) but is failing epically on many levels.

how long does the middle east have. 100 years? 50 years?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Of course TAK reactivating to carry out attacks isn't a good thing as it only allows Turkey to justify its repression of Kurds.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how long does the middle east have. 100 years? 50 years?
Twenty to thirty before critical mass is reached.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true. where would they pull out too. My guess is either surrender or fight to the last man.

Everyone always thinks they'll be able to time it perfectly, too, but it never happens quite like that.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

How can people support these petty vandals? Assad and ISIS may be objectively worse but I don't see how Syria can be rebuilt by people who commit misdemeanors.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Thank goodness for Putin's intervention in Syria, without which ISIL would not be rolling back as they currently are by mostly appropriate forces due to Turkish air support.

Turkey wants to bomb YPG forces in Syria? I'm sure Russians would love to shoot themselves down some Turkish jets and bomb Turkish convoys.

The Kurds have been beating up Daesh since Kobane so it's really just the push across the Euphrates that is new. Well that and more Syrian civilians getting blowed up.

But yeah, Turkey antagonizing Russia worked out great. One more country has been alienated from Russia and Erdogan is kept from loving with the Kurds. It's always risky when a couple of regional powers start waving their tiny dicks around but sometimes everything just works out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anosmoman posted:

The Kurds have been beating up Daesh since Kobane so it's really just the push across the Euphrates that is new. Well that and more Syrian civilians getting blowed up.

But yeah, Turkey antagonizing Russia worked out great. One more country has been alienated from Russia and Erdogan is kept from loving with the Kurds. It's always risky when a couple of regional powers start waving their tiny dicks around but sometimes everything just works out.
Inevitable ecological death-spirals aside, what do you suppose will happen next in regards to Turkey and/vs Russia?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yup Russia's bombing sure is helping the kurds, despite not helping the kurds and instead bombing rebels fighting ISIS in a completely different part of Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one of the drawbacks of relying on foreign fighters is that they're far less concerned about losing ground in (their eyes, anyway) some podunk desert provincial town than local fighters are. The locals rightfully fear retribution towards their families/property and have an emotional connection to the land they're fighting for; foreigners have their fanaticism and little else. I'd be interested to see the ratio of foreign/local ISIS fighters that've been captured.

• Locked thread