Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Two minor questions:

1. Do studios need to ask permission to use a car brand from the manufacturer? I imagine the brand owner would love James Bond to drive their car, but what if the car were portrayed as unreliable or driven by an evil character. Could Pontiac have stopped Breaking Bad from using the Aztek?

2. For long running shows where there is an overweight character, are there clauses to require an actor to maintain an unhealthy weight during shooting? I'm thinking like Kevin from the Office.

1. I think the manufacturer can request that their logos not be shown. You can see this in some episodes of the X-Files. It's obvious they're driving Ford Crown Victorias, but the Ford logo is blacked out on the grill.

2. I know they can dictate how an actor looks (like hairstyles, for example), but I don't think they can go that far. I seem to recall the stars of Mike & Molly having lost weight and had to wear padded costumes. Lecy Goranson (Becky from Roseanne) wanted to cut her hair and the producers said no. She complained to Roseanne who then took a pair of scissors and hacked off all of her hair and told the producers to deal with it.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mister Kingdom posted:

1. I think the manufacturer can request that their logos not be shown. You can see this in some episodes of the X-Files. It's obvious they're driving Ford Crown Victorias, but the Ford logo is blacked out on the grill.

2. I know they can dictate how an actor looks (like hairstyles, for example), but I don't think they can go that far. I seem to recall the stars of Mike & Molly having lost weight and had to wear padded costumes. Lecy Goranson (Becky from Roseanne) wanted to cut her hair and the producers said no. She complained to Roseanne who then took a pair of scissors and hacked off all of her hair and told the producers to deal with it.

Roseanne Barr is pretty nuts and I'd hate to be on her bad side but she's also totally badass. gently caress the system, show those producers you mean business, hail Satan erreyday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Jaleel White has stated he was pressured by producers to remain scrawny for Urkel. As in he wasn't allowed to work out at all since Urkel couldn't have any muscle tone.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The best weight-related thing will always be Mac getting fat for season 8 of Always Sunny for no reason other than that he thought it would be really funny.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Roscoe Arbuckle supposedly had to stay at a certain weight at Keystone. After his trial, though, he lost something like 100 pounds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I seem to recall the stars of Mike & Molly having lost weight and had to wear padded costumes.

Melissa McCarthy has lost something like 60 pounds over the last year or so, so she definitely had to wear padding for the current season.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I see now that Revenant moved from Christmas day to January 8th, but...

Where the hell is Hateful 8?

It was slated for Christmas Day, but now it's not only not in theaters, but it's not listed as an upcoming movie on google, yahoo, fandango, or movietickets.com

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It was slated for Christmas Day, but now it's not only not in theaters, but it's not listed as an upcoming movie on google, yahoo, fandango, or movietickets.com

Search on fandango for it. The 70mm roadshow is playing in most major cities.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Hateful Eight is only in 100 theaters right now and doesn't go to wide release until January 1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While not contractual obligation, Wayne Knight has said that he consulted with a doctor for a way to try and keep himself healthy while still being overweight because he couldn't get any work skinny.

redback3
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah well, I was supposed to, but then Arne came and put my head into some porridge.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm a bit worried about the hateful 8, it seems like Tarantino's films have been taking a dive in quality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redback3 posted:

I'm a bit worried about the hateful 8, it seems like Tarantino's films have been taking a dive in quality.

No they haven't.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

No they haven't.

Ever since Kill Bill ended and he started getting more thoughtful his movies have started getting more backlash from people on the internet who keep expecting more mindless over-the-top violence and then getting talky movies criticizing Hollywood's depictions of war and slavery instead.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Two minor questions:

1. Do studios need to ask permission to use a car brand from the manufacturer? I imagine the brand owner would love James Bond to drive their car, but what if the car were portrayed as unreliable or driven by an evil character. Could Pontiac have stopped Breaking Bad from using the Aztek?

If you're using a product as it is to be intended then you can legally use it free-and-clear. Once you get past that (driving drunk, running down people, etc) then they have to worry about logos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sleeveless posted:

Ever since Kill Bill ended and he started getting more thoughtful his movies have started getting more backlash from people on the internet who keep expecting more mindless over-the-top violence and then getting talky movies criticizing Hollywood's depictions of war and slavery instead.

I suppose there's a point to be made that none of his later films are as good as Pulp Fiction, but almost no films that exist are as good as Pulp Fiction.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skwirl posted:

I suppose there's a point to be made that none of his later films are as good as Pulp Fiction, but almost no films that exist are as good as Pulp Fiction.

You made a mistake there. You wrote "Pulp Fiction", when clearly you meant to write "Jackie Brown".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You made a mistake there. You wrote "Pulp Fiction", when clearly you meant to write "Jackie Brown".

By "later" I meant films released in the 21st century. Depending on mood I waffle between Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction being better, but the shear audaciousness of Pulp Fiction usually gives it an edge.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just rewatched PF a few days ago and yeah it's totally bonkers that stuff was in a major release: the OD scene, the gimp dungeon, the car cleaning, etc. And with major actors, trusting a relatively inexperienced director.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
After Reservoir Dogs I can certainly see actors being willing to jump into Pulp Fiction to see what the new director was made of. How Tarantino got the people he did for Reservoir Dogs is another thing.

Although yes Jackie Brown is better than both, the points go to Bloody Hedgehog

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have actually not sat and watched Pulp Fiction since like '96. I need to fix that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got around to watching it last week for the second time ever (first was in like '06) and it's still reeeeeeal good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

How Tarantino got the people he did for Reservoir Dogs is another thing.

Basically, Keitel did a poo poo-ton of schmoozing on Tarantino's behalf after he read the script.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Basically, Keitel did a poo poo-ton of schmoozing on Tarantino's behalf after he read the script.

Didn't know that. That's really awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

No they haven't.

ehh, apart from Kill Bill i've liked everything he's done, but i still don't think anything he's made since his first three films has been as good, and for me Django was a notch down from Basterds. still excited for Hateful Eight though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
It would really take a lot for me to hate or even dislike a Tarantino movie. He just loves film so much and it oozes through his work, not to mention he has yet to make a bad movie, IMO, and I can't really say that about any other director who has been making movies as long as him.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ehh, apart from Kill Bill i've liked everything he's done, but i still don't think anything he's made since his first three films has been as good, and for me Django was a notch down from Basterds. still excited for Hateful Eight though.

For my money Django is his best work, although I've liked pretty much everything hes done to a greater (pulp fiction, kill bill pt1) or lesser (inglorious basterds, kill bill pt2, jackie brown) extent. Honestly, I didnt know that "Django is a step down" was a widely held belief.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's pretty much how I feel about him. The first three films start well and are exciting in the way you can see him developing from all potential and no experience. But I sorta feel like after Jackie Brown (1997), with the exception of Death Proof (2007), his films have felt more like bundles of twitching mannerisms than an expression of the potential you see in his first three films.

I also kinda think I'd like his films better at around 90 minutes instead of around 150 minutes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had so much hope for Deathproof but instead it turned out to be one of the worst films I've ever watched.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

EmmyOk posted:

I had so much hope for Deathproof but instead it turned out to be one of the worst films I've ever watched.

Well, what didn't work for you?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I think Inglourious Basterds is not only his best film but one of the best films ever and essentially perfect.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

I think Inglourious Basterds is not only his best film but one of the best films ever and essentially perfect.

I'm partial to it since it's the only one of his I saw in the theater.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm partial to it since it's the only one of his I saw in the theater.

i saw it at the drive-in which was pretty drat dope

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Criminal Minded posted:

I love it too

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

It's a good film, but like the rest of Tarantino's post-Jackie Brown films, except Death Proof, the thing I like most about it is Robert Richardson's photography.

I mean I guess all appropriate props to a director for surrounding himself with the right talent. And I'm not saying that dismissively---I think it totally `counts' and is one of the things that makes a good director a good director. But when I think about the things I like about Inglourious Basterds (2009) the first thing I think of is the photography, followed by the performances of all of the principles and most of the supporting cast. And Tarantino is good about getting loving slam-dunk performances out of his cast, and at casting actors who aren't necessarily considered top-shelf at when they appear in his films. But at the same time if I list all of the things that I like least about the film, all of those are the quintessentially Tarantino parts---the uneven tone, the length, the incessant re-use of poo poo I already know from other films, and so on.

Tarantino's right up there with M. Night Shyamalan as a director whose technical proficiency I much admire but who never seems to produce films equal to their apparent promise as a filmmaker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Roscoe Arbuckle supposedly had to stay at a certain weight at Keystone. After his trial, though, he lost something like 100 pounds.

Who wouldn't?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SubG posted:

Tarantino's right up there with M. Night Shyamalan as a director whose technical proficiency I much admire but who never seems to produce films equal to their apparent promise as a filmmaker.

Not to say it'd change your mind (it won't) but did you see The Visit?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Not to say it'd change your mind (it won't) but did you see The Visit?
Nah. I only infrequently watch films before they've been out for a few years.

Timby posted:

Keitel's really a good luck charm for first feature films. Who's That Knocking at My Door (1967), The Duellists (1977), Reservoir Dogs (1992).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Duelists is a really neat movie. I'm a huge sucker for swordfighting, and that movie has some of the least romantic swordfighting I've ever seen.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Does anyone else cry at every movie, when you are on an airplane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
It's been an ongoing side topic on Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode's radio show for a couple months. The technical name the show has coined for it is Altitude Adjusted Lachrymosity Syndrome. It seems like a lot of people have noticed it.

I want to say Doug Benson has talked about it on one of his podcasts as well.