Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Wished the bog map had like 50% less bloom/mist/fog/foliage, its kind of hard to focus on anything in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

A.o.D. posted:

Boomrauder

I've been using this build to level up both the 3R and 5m. The only difference is the 3R doesn't have jump jets, so the two tons can go to armor, heatsinks, or ammunition, whatever you like. Shield with your left.

Mad wubs, yo

This is a large pulse wub bolt, only it's a marauder. It has jump jets, and a dead left side you can use to shield. It's not bad???

Madsplat

This 5D uses SRMs to help bring the pain. It's another close range brawler. Shield with your right side on this thing.

Crazed gunman

You can also snipe in a marauder! I hear it was made to carry ppcs or something! This one is probably better for CW than the others I've linked. Obviously this will work on a 3r as well as a 5m, just trade the jump jet for armor, ammo, or heatsinks.

Dude you kick rear end! Thanks so much. Doing configurations now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

I would be all onboard FF if it actually were a little lighter AND offered more protection. That would be an actual choice.

It's a pity we can't get any of BattleTech's neat gimmick armors. Laser reflective armor to punish snipers, ablative armor that explodes to cut missile damage in half, hardened armor that straight-up doubles the amount of armor you can carry at a hefty speed penalty.

And the OP Clan Ferro-Lamellor armor that straight up reduces all damage by 20% at the "cost" of being heavier than ferro-fibrous

Bankerfox
Oct 11, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Stormcrows are great but may spoil you on every other robot. I like the Hunchback or Centurion with a bunch of SRMs as a good cheap generalist.

Thanks for the advice! Probably going to pick up a Hunchback.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Drakes posted:

Wished the bog map had like 50% less bloom/mist/fog/foliage, its kind of hard to focus on anything in the distance.

i wish it had most mist and fog which it apparently did

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bankerfox posted:

Thanks for the advice! Probably going to pick up a Hunchback.

The hunchback is a really great platform to learn on. It has a good autocannon variant, a good laser vomit variant, a good SRM variant, and a good LRM boat variant. The individual mechs are cheap enough that it won't take you forever to grind for them, and the gear you need to put on them isn't insane. What's more, it's a good weight class that you will probably need if you decide to get into CW.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

The wording is fun. The weight savings comes from getting 9 points of armor (in table top) per ton instead of 8 but the overall cap isn't changed.

And yeah, been around since closed beta, right about the time the Dragon was released, so Ive had lots of time for people to point out how dumb this games rules can be to me. :v:

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Applying to GIRL as Mobiac. I think its high time I play with goons, pubbies are starting to get on my nerves.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
someone post a good Top Dog build my brain only sees 9xMPL

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

FARTSTAR posted:

imo the best builds are just mass SRMs+a couple of large lasers to balance it out.

also great times in the goon inhouse today. let's do it again later.

edit-- vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv GIRL is CJF

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 28, 2015

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

did GIRL and WoL go Jade Falcon?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i bought an IV-Four and it is loving glorious

that is all

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

HexDog posted:

Can someone post some sweet marauder builds? I can't find any in the past 20 pages, or I missed them. You will have my eternal thanks and I will be your bro in game.

This is one thing that I actually liked the wiki for, since the OP has kind of a short list of recommended mechs and builds.

If you use anything half-decent and play with goons you do alright to good. We could certainly use a gdoc or something for "help me make x build not awful and" expanding the repitoire of semi-decent robots.

Photex posted:

did GIRL and WoL go Jade Falcon?

Noob question of the day: how do you actually change your loyalty? I think WoL changed it to steiner, but I'm still marked as Liao. How does this :pgi: stuff work?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

teepo posted:

that is all

Are Quickdraws good? I never see them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FARTSTAR posted:

I run a build similar to the 5SS with 8xMPL, each torso with its own firing group. It runs red loving hot but you're tanky as poo poo and you can linger on for a long goddamn time, since with torso twisting they have to eat through both your arms and both your torsos. You can also run an AMS on it if you want to run with 1 less heat sink, since it barely loving matters.

You can also just run it with 6xMPL and a gently caress ton of heatsinks

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Love Stole the Day posted:

imo the best builds are just mass SRMs+a couple of large lasers to balance it out.

Yeah man, SRMs work GREAT on TOP DOG.

jfc

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also, if I have a poo poo-ton of cbills, whats a good clan CW dropdeck to build towards?

The arctic cheetah is already on my list, as is the kit fox. two thirty tonners leave a 90+100 or 95/95.

I'm thinking synergy as far as eliting stuff. Multiple stormcrows is also a possibility.

Tell me about: Hellbringers and clan assaults/heavies.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

DiHK posted:

Yeah man, SRMs work GREAT on TOP DOG.

jfc

actually its working great in the matches ive tried so far :feelsgood:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

FARTSTAR posted:

actually its working great in the matches ive tried so far :feelsgood:

No you haven't.

E: Because I'm not sure you'll figure it out: top dog can't fit missiles, only energy weapons.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

Also, if I have a poo poo-ton of cbills, whats a good clan CW dropdeck to build towards?

The arctic cheetah is already on my list, as is the kit fox. two thirty tonners leave a 90+100 or 95/95.

I'm thinking synergy as far as eliting stuff. Multiple stormcrows is also a possibility.

Tell me about : Hellbringers and clan assaults/heavies.

The kit fox is super hard to build well or be taken seriously in CW. You are a very slow light with bad damage output and fall apart very easy. I do okay with mine, but it's still suboptimal and tends to be my last drop. Hellbringers can be built to laser vomit very effectively, and the ECM is nice to have. The Dakkawolf is your assault of choice usually, just give it some backup lasers, and at least one arm that can swivel back and forth, not just up and down. Helps deal with lights that get close. The Timber Wolf is still the go-to heavy, since you can set it up to do anything. I used to bring mine as an SRM brawler, but since IS does better in close range now, I might switch to laser vomit and try to keep my distance.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Great Beer posted:

No you haven't.

E: Because I'm not sure you'll figure it out: top dog can't fit missiles, only energy weapons.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seems legit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

The kit fox is super hard to build well or be taken seriously in CW. You are a very slow light with bad damage output and fall apart very easy. I do okay with mine, but it's still suboptimal and tends to be my last drop. Hellbringers can be built to laser vomit very effectively, and the ECM is nice to have. The Dakkawolf is your assault of choice usually, just give it some backup lasers, and at least one arm that can swivel back and forth, not just up and down. Helps deal with lights that get close. The Timber Wolf is still the go-to heavy, since you can set it up to do anything. I used to bring mine as an SRM brawler, but since IS does better in close range now, I might switch to laser vomit and try to keep my distance.

Ah ha. I knew there was something off about the kitfox. Thats pretty simliar to the mediums I've been running though.

If dire wolves are the go-to for dakka, then how are the mist lynxes? I'd need a pair of each.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Apparently my joke detector was off tonight :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

good LRM boat variant.

uh.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Wow, the trial Thunderbolt does work running 3LPLs like that.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

Ah ha. I knew there was something off about the kitfox. Thats pretty simliar to the mediums I've been running though.

If dire wolves are the go-to for dakka, then how are the mist lynxes? I'd need a pair of each.

My current CW set up is Kit-Fox, Nova, Storm Crow, and Dire Wolf. You could easily do 2 storm crows and play the role of light, medium, and heavy all in one. All around, it's just too good to not put in a drop deck. The kit fox is just...hard to set up, and I wouldn't recommend the Myst Lynx just because it always seems to be underwhelming in CW. I do really good in standard matches with it, but in CW people will see you as an easy, quick kill and usually take it. One salvo from a Thunderbolt or a good Atlas and you are toast. for the Kit Fox, the WUB build and Laser Vomit build on Metamechs are similar to what I use. You can use the Kit Fox for CW, but you need to buddy up with someone larger and work as a force multiplier.

The best light, hands down, is the Arctic Cheetah. You can set them up like a Raven 3L with 2 ERLL and hit at range, or as a light brawler with SPL. It's far more versatile then the Kit Fox or Myst Lynx, and as much as I like both of those mechs they just don't even come near the Cheetah. You could do a Cheetah, 2 Storm Crows, and a Dire and only come in at 240 tons, the old drop weight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

For faffing about in quick drops? Yeah. Pubbies are terrible and too stupid to avoid lrms.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

For faffing about in quick drops? Yeah. Pubbies are terrible and too stupid to avoid lrms.

Pubbies are also super easy to just core with lasers and ACs because torso twisting is martian technology. Dump the LRMs.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Playing with goons is good 'cos they don't judge me for my rampant and obvious alcohol issues.

Also sometimes we win.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

teepo posted:

that is all

What did you put on it? I put two AC10s on mine and just run around making boom noises.

E: For anyone who played planetside, my wife, a couple friends and I just teamed with BUzzCutPsycho and his "The Enclave" cronies.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 28, 2015

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Got the free Centurion. :yotj: How good/bad is this thing and how do you guys outfit it? I was thinking AC/20 + SRMs. Also I got myself into tier 3 and I don't like the prospect of playing against better players, why can't I just continue to seal club people without them shooting back :mad:.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 28, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Pooncha posted:

There's the 3xSRM4+AC20 with an XL running around. Since this Cent doesn't have any CT lasers there's little point in being a zombie.

I've also played a 3xASRM6+3MG but uh that's more comedy than anything. In fact, you can just dump the MGs entirely if that's the route you're going to take. It does give you enough room to stuff a standard engine so the entire right side can be used to shield.

EDIT: With the build I linked, you can add Ferro-Fibrous armor and trim 2 more armor points off somewhere to add another ton or ammo. Or armor up some parts and add only a half-ton of ammo! :yayclod:

It's okay. There are better Cents to be had, but it's a free `Mech so yay? :confuoot:

You're slow but tanky for a medium, so I'd suggest playing it as a force multiplier.

Also, I've been in Tier 3 since tiers were implemented. Trust me, you'll still find plenty of the :downs: Gallery to shoot at amongst some of the more competitive dudes.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bait and Swatch posted:

E: For anyone who played planetside, my wife, a couple friends and I just teamed with BUzzCutPsycho and his "The Enclave" cronies.

Oh god. I am so sorry for you. Though I am laughing.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Pooncha posted:

There's the 3xSRM4+AC20 with an XL running around. Since this Cent doesn't have any CT lasers there's little point in being a zombie.

So something like this then ?

Although that's alot of C-Bills for a "free" mech.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Still can't decide between grabbing the champ Stormcrow or some hero mech. Stormcrows own and it's a great cheap buy-in on them but more mechs with bonus c-bills also owns :negative:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Still can't decide between grabbing the champ Stormcrow or some hero mech. Stormcrows own and it's a great cheap buy-in on them but more mechs with bonus c-bills also owns :negative:

Champ mechs are +XP, not Cbills. If you want a +30% Cbill Stormcrow you have to buy it for 55$ a'la carte or get whatever package it's in from Clan Wave 1 for the (I) variant.

As far as IS heroes go, at 50% off the Sparky is a solid laser boat. It used to be relatively bad but with the last quirk wave its PPC quirks became generalized energy quirks. So you can run LPLs and mediums in it with an XL that's covered by the griffins crazy arms. The Arrow (blackjack) isn't bad either (3 well quirked large lasers and six machine guns) ...and at 50% off the Pirates Bane (locust) is only 700mc or something for a 150kph ECM light that can do four medium lasers (or three and a medium pulse if you want to get crazy.).

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Champ mechs are +XP, not Cbills. If you want a +30% Cbill Stormcrow you have to buy it for 55$ a'la carte or get whatever package it's in from Clan Wave 1 for the (I) variant.

As far as IS heroes go, at 50% off the Sparky is a solid laser boat. It used to be relatively bad but with the last quirk wave its PPC quirks became generalized energy quirks. So you can run LPLs and mediums in it with an XL that's covered by the griffins crazy arms. The Arrow (blackjack) isn't bad either (3 well quirked large lasers and six machine guns) ...and at 50% off the Pirates Bane (locust) is only 700mc or something for a 150kph ECM light that can do four medium lasers (or three and a medium pulse if you want to get crazy.).

Don't leave out the Huggin. Once you get good at aiming SRMs, and put an SRM 4 cool down on it, it can still brawl and take down much larger mech with ease. It just can't fight lights too well, sadly.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Don't leave out the Huggin. Once you get good at aiming SRMs, and put an SRM 4 cool down on it, it can still brawl and take down much larger mech with ease. It just can't fight lights too well, sadly.

I thought with the last quirk pass the Huggin lost its amazing ROF quirks for SRM4s? I mean if it still works then yeah by all means consider it too, I was just under the impression it got hurt bad so I didn't list it. I am more than happy to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Right. I meant that it's basically the choice between buying into a very good but also very expensive line in the Stormcrows at a reduced and attractive price or buying a hero mech in an unrelated line for that precious Cbill boost.

Honestly I did look at the Sparky because the Griffin line looks pretty good (especially for SRMing), but the XL engine is kind of unattractive to me. I am nowhere near good enough at shielding or spreading damage yet so the prospect of losing a side torso and thus gettin' blown up is a real one.

• Locked thread