Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I didn't really feel much for the first two cases in AAI and i'm slowly going through the third (though it is more interesting so far) but part of it is probably because I went through the whole trilogy and AA4 over the course of a couple of months before immediately going to AAI, so I was fairly burnt out by then.

It's cool how it sorta blurs the line between investigating and trial, but I prefer them more separate so when I'm investigating i'm always looking forward to reaching the trial section and sort things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AAI's biggest fault is how long it takes to pick up steam, but the end result is worth the slog. AAI2 is definitely better, if only because it fixes the pacing, but it's hard to appreciate without playing AAI1 first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phoenix: "I'm only 24 myself."

Jesus I'm so old. :negative:

Edit: Why the gently caress is Will calling Maya's cell to request representation? The office HAS a phone.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 28, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: Why the gently caress is Will calling Maya's cell to request representation? The office HAS a phone.

My headcanon is that it's Edgeworth calling her, confident that she, unlike Phoenix, won't recognize his voice.

After all, it would be unfitting of the president of the Steel Samurai Fan Club to prosecute the guy without enduring he had a proper defense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's been a while since I've played AAI, but it has some of the weirdest logic in the series from what I recall. The thing about the number of kidnappers sticks out in my memory as very bizarre reasoning the game expected you to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always thought Larry should've kept being an artist and genuinely stuck to it, since they seemed to intend for that to be the conclusion to his character arc in T&T. Despite how annoying he is in that final case and his ulterior motives, he really seems to admire Elise Deauxnim and care about his art.

But then AAI put him right back on track to just being a nuisance.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought Larry should've kept being an artist and genuinely stuck to it, since they seemed to intend for that to be the conclusion to his character arc in T&T. Despite how annoying he is in that final case and his ulterior motives, he really seems to admire Elise Deauxnim and care about his art.

But then AAI put him right back on track to just being a nuisance.

Out of curiosity, did you play AAI2?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, actually my only real problems with AAI were the appearance of Larry and Oldbag in the last case. They were annoying as hell and dragged the case down a little bit. Should play AAI2 tho so I can love larry again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Out of curiosity, did you play AAI2?

Yeah, but it kinda rings hollow when we just saw him do yet another job just last game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I kinda assumed that AAI happened before the 3-5, I guess it actually takes place after T&T but before Nick was disbarred?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yup, they had to cram both AAI games in the 10 minutes Phoenix was allowed to keep his license after completing his character arc of becoming a master defense lawyer who can stand on his own.

I hate AA4 so much.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Yup, they had to cram both AAI games in the 10 minutes Phoenix was allowed to keep his license after completing his character arc of becoming a master defense lawyer who can stand on his own.

I hate AA4 so much.

I don't mind that plot point nearly as much ever since Dual Destinies came out.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I WAS 24 when I read that line for the first time. I feel old every time I replay that case, which is one of my favorites, so I get to feel old a lot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Motto posted:

I don't mind that plot point nearly as much ever since Dual Destinies came out.

I got into the franchise late and I think this is my stance as well, knowing that ultimately he gets back into it and uses the time to try and improve the system so that it can fairly look for the truth instead of being so easily manipulated is pretty good. When I played AA4 having to present the fake evidence was a pretty heavy moment, knowing where it'd take Nick but knowing that ultimately everything turns out fine helped lighten the mood, I'd imagine that was super harsh for fans at the time that simply saw it as the end of Nick's career forever and ever and that he'd stay a depressed hobo daddy forever.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My main fear was AJ's reception leading to either the end of the series or a sloppy soft-reboot that wrote Apollo out entirely. Thankfully while DD was indeed kind of a soft reboot, they handled it far more gracefully than I expected.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I was expecting them to completely gently caress up the characters in DD, but they ended up doing it surprisingly well. Phoenix is a lot more like his old self, but he's still a changed man who plays a leadership role. Also, they did their best to shove all of AA4's awful plot under the rug. Shame that Gavin still had to show up, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't think of any more of a conflict of interest than a juror being the mother of the defense attorney.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I can't think of any more of a conflict of interest than a juror being the mother of the defense attorney.

It's okay, she had gunshot-inflicted amnesia.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hobo Daddy Nick will bend any and every rule for whatever reason.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lurdiak posted:

Look, Nick just read about the system in books. He didn't grasp all the intricacies of the situation.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hobo Daddy Nick will bend any and every rule for whatever reason.

Hobo Nick puppet mastering that mother fucker into self destruction was pretty amazing, if not horribly terrifying. Nick can be a scary man if he needs to be.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

Hobo Nick puppet mastering that mother fucker into self destruction was pretty amazing, if not horribly terrifying. Nick can be a scary man if he needs to be.

I think that bit justifies the existence of AA4

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lurdiak posted:

The guy put in charge of the entire jurist system was a lawyer that was disbarred for fabricating evidence.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ometeotl posted:

The guy put in charge of the entire jurist system was a lawyer that was disbarred for fabricating evidence.

Who mentored the defense attorney and was the adoptive parent of said attorney's assistant. And in said trial, that same defense attorney JUST SO HAPPENED to clear him of all charges of fabricating evidence.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE :tinfoil:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 28, 2015

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fronz posted:

I think that bit justifies the existence of AA4

Case 4-1. And Klavier playing air guitar is the best animation in a series of outstanding ones.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Hey man Nick is just doing what other people in that law system do after a certain time.

Like multiple detectives, defense attorneys and prosecturors have broken the law(hell all in one game even with AAI). All we need are judges to start murdering people and they can make a trial take place inside the prison.

Makes you think why THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW only started after the whole Nick forging evidence thing and Blackquill murdering someone, stuff like that was happening way before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

My main fear was AJ's reception leading to either the end of the series or a sloppy soft-reboot that wrote Apollo out entirely. Thankfully while DD was indeed kind of a soft reboot, they handled it far more gracefully than I expected.

AA5 walked the post-AA4 burning tightrope drat near perfectly. It would have been so easy to have it just be Apollo Justice For All (Which I think we all expected more or less), but I really like the direction they took a lot better.

AA5 owns so much.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There will definitely be a judge who is either charged or actually guilty of murder in AA6.

Last Celebration posted:

Case 4-1. And Klavier playing air guitar is the best animation in a series of outstanding ones.

Fair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You'd think the things Damon Gant and Manfred Von Karma did would be a bigger issue than forged evidence. Godot also murdered a totally innocent woman in cold blood because he was angry at a ghost, too. (although everyone seems to have forgiven him for it)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

fronz posted:

There will definitely be a judge who is either charged or actually guilty of murder in AA6.

Mr. Wright just what are you suggesting!?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurdiak posted:

You'd think the things Damon Gant and Manfred Von Karma did would be a bigger issue than forged evidence. Godot also murdered a totally innocent woman in cold blood because he was angry at a ghost, too. (although everyone seems to have forgiven him for it)

Isn't Godot implied to be dead at the end of T&T anyway?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of AA6, someone I'd like to see again almost as much as Gumshoe and Maya would be Iris. Like, they introduce this character who's the love of Phoenix's life, and he's like "I'll visit you and wait for you always" and we get zero mention of her in 4 or 5. At least Maya sent a couple letters!

Strange Quark posted:

Isn't Godot implied to be dead at the end of T&T anyway?

With his lovely health, it's pretty likely. But no one seemed to be mad at him or anything.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I hope we never see Pearl again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fronz posted:

I hope we never see Pearl again.

You're a monster.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I am going to sacrifice Pearl Fey to bring Ema Skye back to Phoenix Wright :twisted:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 28, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am going to sacrifice Pearl Fey to bring Ema Skye back to Phoenix Wright :twisted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vengarr posted:

AA1 is very grounded besides all of the ghost channeling and psychic mediums and cross-examining parrots.
also the director that speaks entirely in l33tspeak

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I was expecting them to completely gently caress up the characters in DD, but they ended up doing it surprisingly well. Phoenix is a lot more like his old self, but he's still a changed man who plays a leadership role. Also, they did their best to shove all of AA4's awful plot under the rug. Shame that Gavin still had to show up, though.

Gavin's fine when he's not prosecuting. His appearance in DD is basically just him and Apollo making GBS threads on each other and it's great. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

I hate AA4 so much.

I'm fine with it because it eventually led to single dad Phoenix Wright and that's the most i've ever enjoyed the guy.

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of AA6, someone I'd like to see again almost as much as Gumshoe and Maya would be Iris. Like, they introduce this character who's the love of Phoenix's life, and he's like "I'll visit you and wait for you always" and we get zero mention of her in 4 or 5. At least Maya sent a couple letters!

She's just not all that memorable. Especially seeing as how Maya basically takes her role as defendant on the final day so she's kind of just not really involved in the dramatic conclusion of the case she was introduced in.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

fronz posted:

If Juniper becomes a judge, will that count retroactively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That was mentioned in DD, but Phoenix was there as a symbol of hope and reform. Until he was caught with forged evidence

• Locked thread