Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

This is a video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2vjgoQ7gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah, shoot a friend request to D43M0N_au_ and I'll invite you to the goon group if you want. Thanks to A Flying Cake and Samurai Paul for banging heads against the wall of mission 96 for however many hours earlier today.
I'll bang my head against just about anything as long as everyone is reasonably equipped for the task.

And by that I mean don't do what a pubbie game did and be Air Raiders with <400 hp trying to farm mission 91 on Inferno. With equipment less than lv.60. I could not carry them hard enough :(

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Even Giant Bomb says this game would be better on PC.

XSEED, please, for the love of God...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of Giant Bomb, it was so nice to see an EDF quicklook with people who actually enjoy the game. I especially loved hearing Dan's reactions.

I have no idea how Jason played through the entire campaign without upgrading his Wing Diver's health, though. :stare:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Doc Morbid posted:

I have no idea how Jason played through the entire campaign without upgrading his Wing Diver's health, though. :stare:

unastrike posted:

So, here's what happened:

When I created the character, I went to the Adjust Armor menu. In that menu, you can select Maximum or Change Armor. I guess Maximum is selected by default. Anyway, I wanted to see what Change Armor did cause I was like "oh poo poo! Do you get different types of armor?!?" Nah. All that was in there was a min/max of 150 HP - no more, no less. I tried sliding it and it didn't do anything (because I hadn't obtained any armor upgrades yet). Hitting X didn't do anything besides bump me back out to the previous menu. I thought that was stupid.

BUT IT DID DO SOMETHING! It manually capped me at the 150 cause I guess that's what I told the game to do? Normally, if set to Maximum, it'd automatically increase my armor.

Totally thought it was weird that my armor wasn't increasing as I played. Completely forgot about it cause I was blasting the poo poo out of bugs and dragons and robots and that was really fun. Also, holy christ, did you see me in that big-rear end robot?

After figuring out what a dumbass I was, I have 418 armor.

Whoops!

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
If anyone is going to be on within the next few hours and is down to clown or farm, add DeathGibs on PSN.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what type of weapon should i be using on hectors as a wing diver? can't kill them fast enough even on normal.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

what type of weapon should i be using on hectors as a wing diver? can't kill them fast enough even on normal.

You can stunlock them up close with the laser chainsaw or kill them with like..anything gradually from far away. I pretty much use nothing but a laser chainsaw or a thunderbow / some type of electrical weapon for every enemy in the game.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 27, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, either snipe with a monster/thunder sniper/etc or get in close with a powerful rapier, chainsaw, or laser lance. Or even a plasma ram if you feel like it.

I feel like certain types of hectors are more dangerous to wing divers though, the long-range cannon dudes are usually pretty safe to rush but the more rapid ones can get you in a pattern sometimes.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like certain types of hectors are more dangerous to wing divers though, the long-range cannon dudes are usually pretty safe to rush but the more rapid ones can get you in a pattern sometimes.

Yeah the rapidfire ones are motherfuckers. You have to constantly change your trajectory and try to get in and out quickly w/ a stunlock.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I love wing Diver but I hate dealing with anything at long range/flying well above her.

Hectors for example. On Normal your level zero default rapier will gently caress them up pretty easily. Meanwhile a Thunder sniper I got from dipping into Very Hard still takes 90% of my energy bar to kill a single Hector :v:

Various other distractions are why I'm still only in the early 30s for missions where I left off, but the thought of dealing with the Endgame Things with Wing Diver in solo is super depressing. Even though I'm basically an untouchable deity for underground missions. "Okay time to kill the Queen-oh it's already dead from collateral damage while I was thinning out the normal ants coming out of the tunnel".

Every time I feel frustrated with a UFO that's outside of convenient thunder bow or rapier range without running out of juice just trying to fly close enough to hit it, I remember that the Ranger who's rocket launchers I am wishing for to shoot down UFOs from a mile away can't kill every single loving ant and spider in front of me with one or two trigger pulls at zero risk of self harm. Then I feel better again :black101:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Always independence day into ships and cut them apart with laser chainsaws. ALWAYS.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
What is everyone using to coordinate lobbies and stuff?

PSN: SATequila

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the psn community shows you games in progress and i usually join those

i wish the chainsaw would drop for me.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Which PSN community? Is there one specifically for goons & EDF?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

a cop posted:

Always independence day into ships and cut them apart with laser chainsaws. ALWAYS.

Please, that's highly impractical.

Now, using a one shot plasma ram on a Red Drone? That on the other hand, totally makes logical sense even if I plummet from the sky every time I do it.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Oh poo poo this is on PS4 now? I got the PS3 version when it came out but really don't like switching out to the older system anymore.

Downloading this now. PSN:Ralconn

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Tequila posted:

Which PSN community? Is there one specifically for goons & EDF?

The GDF Deploys

Use discover communities to see if anyone on your friends list is in it or post your PSN and someone can invite you.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

Obsurveyor posted:

The GDF Deploys

Since none of my friends are in, can I get an invite? PSN DeathGibs apparently I can just work my way in through the trending communities.

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 27, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Section Z posted:

Hectors for example. On Normal your level zero default rapier will gently caress them up pretty easily. Meanwhile a Thunder sniper I got from dipping into Very Hard still takes 90% of my energy bar to kill a single Hector :v:

Some of the thunder snipers aren't great for non-underground levels, but they're incredible in tunnels. I find thunder bows are the best anti-hector weapon (and are a great general-purpose weapon, especially the more advanced ones).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

fritz posted:

Some of the thunder snipers aren't great for non-underground levels, but they're incredible in tunnels. I find thunder bows are the best anti-hector weapon (and are a great general-purpose weapon, especially the more advanced ones).

Hence my disappointment with the SNIPER weapons, yes. I can't imagine how terrible trying to use the single digit level sniper weapons you get dropped on normal would be, when I usually need two, sometimes three shots with my level 20-30 ones to down a normal Drone (and drones love to be juuust spread enough to not hit many of them).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 28, 2015

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I have the JPN version on EDF 4.1 and so tempted to get the US version now that it's released. Would be so nice to be able to read what the weapons actually do. How is the goon community? My roommate refuses to play this with me. He says he can't stand all the screaming :wtc:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is there any good reason for farming mission 80 instead of 81? 80 takes a lot longer and has less drops but I see so many people running it

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It was the go to place to get weapons since 81 has the chance of boxes falling in water. I'm just gonna wait until the dlc levels hit so I can run golden darkness forever.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Section Z posted:

Hence my disappointment with the SNIPER weapons, yes. I can't imagine how terrible trying to use the single digit level sniper weapons you get dropped on normal would be, when I usually need two, sometimes three shots with my level 20-30 ones to down a normal Drone (and drones love to be juuust spread enough to not hit many of them).

Use a thunder bow or idunn or mirage for drones. Only times I really use the sniper weapons are for big enemies (dropships, reitarius, deroys, etc) and underground rooms (try den of thieves / killer queen with a thunder sniper). What level are you playing on that you need that many shots to get a drone, and which weapons are you using for it?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Danith posted:

Would be so nice to be able to read what the weapons actually do.

Google translate on the jp wiki: http://www50.atwiki.jp/edf_4/pages/20.html

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Danith posted:

I have the JPN version on EDF 4.1 and so tempted to get the US version now that it's released. Would be so nice to be able to read what the weapons actually do. How is the goon community? My roommate refuses to play this with me. He says he can't stand all the screaming :wtc:

the screaming stops after a few levels because implicitly all the civilians are dead

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

this page is what I'm using, switch it to english. no descriptions though

http://weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/?p=w

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Modest Mao posted:

the screaming stops after a few levels because implicitly all the civilians are dead

You're doing things wrong if there is no screaming. Fill the void with your chanting and battle cries!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

fritz posted:

Use a thunder bow or idunn or mirage for drones. Only times I really use the sniper weapons are for big enemies (dropships, reitarius, deroys, etc) and underground rooms (try den of thieves / killer queen with a thunder sniper). What level are you playing on that you need that many shots to get a drone, and which weapons are you using for it?

Thunder BOW loving rules. Thunder bow is shotgun Jesus, I wasn't exaggerating when I said I didn't realize I had killed the queen in the next room with my thunder bow while thinning out the normal bugs coming through the tunnel at us.

My experience with Thunder SNIPERS meanwhile in the early first 30 levels leg of the game has been. "Hmm, enemies spawn far away in the ocean/There are a bunch of UFOs/It's mostly Drones flying above. I should bring the level 30 Thunder sniper I got dipping into Very Hard, to Normal difficulty... oh it's a piece of loving poo poo for fighting enemies even if I Can shoot a UFO down with it from farther away. Restart, do over with literally anything else with zero problems."

But considering later game enemies from 2025 where flying all the way up to them isn't exactly something I can imagine pulling off without sucking it up and bringing a sniper weapon along. Because nothing else will be able to reach even if I use 100% of my energy to fly upwards, even if I'm somehow not shot down on the way.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 28, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The endgame Thunder Sniper gives up and is just the biggest, meanest Thunder Bow with sniper range instead of a clip.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I never did like any of the Wing Diver snipers that aren't the Monster series and Gungnir. The laser ones are loving trash and the thunder ones are way too drat weak to be worth it. Raijin is ok but I only use it when sniping is mandatory.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of like the laser snipers because it's basically a weaponized laser pointer and I find that hilarious. Wing Diver, for this mission to fight a kaiju, we have equipped you with an overblown cat toy. MOVE OUT!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Past Raijin the Thunder Sniper 6 is where the sniper line starts being reasonably statted. It's energy usage is okay enough to fire off maybe 4-5 shots from a full battery, enough to take a fair chunk out of transport ships and will bring down any enemy that isn't a ship, a mech or a boss in Hard with one shot. Have another weapon with capacity on switch (Idunn-E or Reflectron) and you've got a loadout that can handle any general threat at all ranges.

Their particle cannons are goofy as all get out, though. Feels like I'm playing Contra.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

I kind of like the laser snipers because it's basically a weaponized laser pointer and I find that hilarious. Wing Diver, for this mission to fight a kaiju, we have equipped you with an overblown cat toy. MOVE OUT!

I have been having fun with the shorter range "Hold it down for LAZER" weapons when I want some variety from using rapiers always and forever, yeah.

I keep trying to use the Particle cannons, but I just can't handle the fact they match your movement direction so I'm always firing them off at 45 degree angles away from my target or, occasionally, loving BACKWARDS which I have no idea if it's even supposed to do in the first place.

Perhaps later in the game if they go full Contra Spread gun, then we'll talk, particle guns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Section Z posted:

I have been having fun with the shorter range "Hold it down for LAZER" weapons when I want some variety from using rapiers always and forever, yeah.

I keep trying to use the Particle cannons, but I just can't handle the fact they match your movement direction so I'm always firing them off at 45 degree angles away from my target or, occasionally, loving BACKWARDS which I have no idea if it's even supposed to do in the first place.

Perhaps later in the game if they go full Contra Spread gun, then we'll talk, particle guns.

They go much, much further than Contra spread gun. You can get a 9 shot spread in choice of cone or flat patterns.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Section Z posted:

I keep trying to use the Particle cannons, but I just can't handle the fact they match your movement direction so I'm always firing them off at 45 degree angles away from my target or, occasionally, loving BACKWARDS which I have no idea if it's even supposed to do in the first place

Rule 1 of EDF: The bugs are features and the features are bugs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, particle cannons are godawful when you're flying; it'll only hit if you're flying/falling directly toward the target. Otherwise you're just spraying and praying it's doing something. Best in crowds but at anything except at extreme close range it's awful for single targets.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

just picked this up along with a PS4 :D

I'm running into the same problem that I did with the old release in that I don't know what to play and am overwhelmed by choices :(

PSN ID is CowmanIII

Is the DLC worth picking up?

Also, I like blowing up everything so what class is good for that? I like the movement of the wing diver but I can't blow anything up so it's not as fun.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rangers get the bog standard missile launchers and grenades. Like their weapon set, they make average explosions.
Fencers get larger missile launchers and access to even BIGGER missiles if they have an air raider friend to spot them a target. They make big explosions.
Wing Divers get plasma explosions that are wildly variable in their power and usefulness. Geist is the most hilarious slow moving bomb ever. They make pretty explosions.
Air Raiders get their buddies from the navy and airforce to lend them the BIGGEST missiles out there. And they can call in for vehicles built specifically around shooting large missiles at targets. They make catastrophes. :getin: