Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

A Fancy Bloke posted:

This should be a firing offense and should also bar him from ever serving as a police officer again but lol at the thought he'll face any type of appropriate punishment.

I have a friend who works in this rear end in a top hat's department. I'll ask her how everyone is expecting this to go down.

At 23 he has no seniority and zero political pull unless his last name is like Hubbell or something. Negligent shooting on Christmas Eve in the largest airport in Iowa... wouldn't surprise me if the Governor came down on his neck too, as much as Brandstad is otherwise a fucker.

So yeah, I honestly think there's a chance he's fired for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

This should be a firing offense and should also bar him from ever serving as a police officer again but lol at the thought he'll face any type of appropriate punishment.

Aw, come on. If you carried a gun as a part of your job, you wouldn't stand in the break room of a crowded airport and yell, "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me!?" and then try to quickdraw on the fridge? Uncool, bro.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

fosborb posted:

I have a friend who works in this rear end in a top hat's department. I'll ask her how everyone is expecting this to go down.

At 23 he has no seniority and zero political pull unless his last name is like Hubbell or something. Negligent shooting on Christmas Eve in the largest airport in Iowa... wouldn't surprise me if the Governor came down on his neck too, as much as Brandstad is otherwise a fucker.

So yeah, I honestly think there's a chance he's fired for it.

But even so, it's not like he won't just go to another department. That's another problem.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

A Fancy Bloke posted:

But even so, it's not like he won't just go to another department. That's another problem.

Can't say that I have a problem with that; I would have a problem if his position in that new department involved handling a firearm, since he has clearly proven himself too immature to be issued one. The lack of malice plays into my reasoning here -- I take a dimmer view of officers who abuse their fellow citizens getting such second chances, especially since they seem to go right back onto the streets instead of desk jockeying till retirement.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm surprised he didn't try to initially claim that he was stopping a terrorist who totally ran out that door before you got here, guys. I guess you have to be a 20-year veteran of the force before you start lying on impulse like that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/neal-browder-fridoon-nehad-shooting

quote:

A San Diego police officer who shot and killed a man within seconds of exiting his car initially told investigators that he didn't see a weapon but said days later that he recalled thinking the man might be carrying a knife, according to a report released Wednesday.

Officer Neal Browder answered "no" when asked the day of the April 30 shooting if he saw a weapon, at which time his attorney said his client wouldn't elaborate. Five days later, police let Browder and his attorney watch a business' surveillance video for about 20 minutes before another interview.

Browder, who was responding to a 911 call of a knife-wielding suspect, said in the second interview that he saw Fridoon Nehad, 42, carrying what looked like a metal object as the suspect walked down a dark alley toward the police car.

It turned out Nehad was wielding a pen.

:negative:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A very solid article from the NYT illustrating visually the problems with police ignoring complaints in CPD:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/15/us/chicago-police-officers-rarely-punished-for-civilian-complaints.html

Some quotes from the limited text, but check out the graphic as it helps explain the scale of the issue:

quote:

6,931 Chicago police officers had at least one allegation of misconduct from 2011 to 2015. Allegations can be filed by a resident or another officer. Officer Jason Van Dyke, who is charged with murder for shooting Laquan McDonald 16 times, had four allegations with known outcomes during this time period.
Just 469 officers were penalized at least once. Complaints are investigated by the city’s Independent Police Review Authority or the Police Department. When officers did receive discipline, most were reprimanded or suspended for less than a week.
More than half of the complaints were against white officers, but 36 percent of the disciplined officers were white. Nearly a quarter of the complaints were against black officers, but 41 percent of the disciplined officers were black.
While 62 percent of complaints were filed by blacks, 28 percent of them led to at least one officer being disciplined. In contrast, 20 percent of complaints were filed by whites, but 57 percent of them led to officer discipline.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Private sector workers get fired and disciplined for hearsay all the time. Do you believe that police officers deserve more protection than private sector workers currently receive?
I think all workers deserve protection from unsubstantiated complaints. I don’t see the fact that some workers don’t have this protection as a good reason to strip it from others. Why do you?

Ravenfood posted:

Well, that's interesting, because a huge chunk of the complaints here are that cops enjoy extrajudicial legal protections that aren't afforded to other citizens.

VitalSigns posted:

"Ah but is there a statute anywhere that says DA's must get experts to testify on their buddy's behalf when they're unsuccessful in burying the issue from public opinion? No? Okay then it's not a special protection when that happens."
If you think the problem is police receiving undue extralegal deference from prosecutors and superiors, why are you talking about stripping their written labor protections unless your thought process is, “anything that limits the rights of police officers is good?” Even if you admitted that you don’t give a single poo poo about workers’ rights, why do you think that making it easier for chiefs and prosecutors to go after police will make a difference if you think that the problem is that prosecutors and chiefs don’t want to discipline officers? It doesn’t make sense.

Terraplane posted:

I want the police to have at least the same accountability as normal people, if not more, yes. I don't think that's such an outrageous position. They already have powers and privileges far beyond that of a normal citizen, why should they have employee rights well above them as well?

And even if we lived in a worker's utopia, I would still think that the people of a city should to a certain extent be able to decide who they want policing them. I think that when an officer has lost the confidence of the city they serve the citizens of that city should have a way to get rid of them. Right now we have city employees who we can't fire failing to discipline other city employees who we also can't fire… As far as that goes, I wouldn't even limit it to police. I think it's outrageous that any employer could find themselves unable to fire an employee for that. It's just especially awful that they're police.
The problem is, you’ve already admitted that you think the situation of workers not being protected from baseless complaints and arbitrary termination is bad. If you think worker protections are good and lack of worker protections are bad, you should be advocating for worker protections, not trying to get them taken away. The concept of “fairness” being the lowest common denominator doesn’t make sense here: if I think it’s bad that some people don’t have health insurance, the solution is not to make it illegal for anyone to have health insurance until either *magic* or the proletariat getting fed up fixes the problem for everyone.

I think appointed or contracted public workers have a right to due process, which includes discipline being meted out in a timely manner, and protection from public sentiment. You want to change that because you don’t like the outcome in this case, but the result would be awful. What’s that, this public school teacher dresses in drag on the weekends? Is that really who we want teaching our children? He’s lost my trust as an educator. Have you seen his OKCupid profile? Or let’s say an employee is charged with some offense that shocks the conscience, but is found not guilty. Should the public be able to impeach them because they don’t trust them anymore? After all, everyone knows they did it.

Also, the SFPD chief is appointed by the mayor, who is elected. In this case, the chief wants to discipline the officers, but can’t because the department failed to act within the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations was set by the state legislature, who are elected. I’m not seeing the lack of democracy here.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yes. Absolutely. I don't think it's insane to believe "police officer" is a career that should be held to the highest standard. When you have the ability to kill someone or deprive them of their civil rights as an agent of the state, with the assistance of lethal weaponry, you should be on your best behavior.

Getting rid of bad cops would absolutely solve the problem. How is that even a question?
The problem is that you think rumors and innuendo have probative value, but only when they’re about people you’re already predisposed to think are guilty of something.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 26, 2015

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think all workers deserve protection from unsubstantiated complaints. I don’t see the fact that some workers don’t have this protection as a good reason to strip it from others. Why do you?

Because they aren't loving up people's lattes, people are getting killed. There's a world of difference and as people have repeatedly said and you've repeatedly ignored, we are not crabs in the same bucket as police.

quote:

If you think the problem is police receiving undue extralegal deference from prosecutors and superiors, why are you talking about stripping their written labor protections unless your thought process is, “anything that limits the rights of police officers is good?” Even if you admitted that you don’t give a single poo poo about workers’ rights, why do you think that making it easier for chiefs and prosecutors to go after police will make a difference if you think that the problem is that prosecutors and chiefs don’t want to discipline officers? It doesn’t make sense.
The problem is, you’ve already admitted that you think the situation of workers not being protected from baseless complaints and arbitrary termination is bad. If you think worker protections are good and lack of worker protections are bad, you should be advocating for worker protections, not trying to get them taken away. The concept of “fairness” being the lowest common denominator doesn’t make sense here: if I think it’s bad that some people don’t have health insurance, the solution is not to make it illegal for anyone to have health insurance until either *magic* or the proletariat getting fed up fixes the problem for everyone.

Because cops have the ability to kill people as an agent of the state. That is different than any other of these jobs you keep trying to equate it to.

quote:

I think appointed or contracted public workers have a right to due process, which includes discipline being meted out in a timely manner, and protection from public sentiment. You want to change that because you don’t like the outcome in this case, but the result would be awful. What’s that, this public school teacher dresses in drag on the weekends? Is that really who we want teaching our children? He’s lost my trust as an educator. Have you seen his OKCupid profile? Or let’s say an employee is charged with some offense that shocks the conscience, but is found not guilty. Should the public be able to impeach them because they don’t trust them anymore? After all, everyone knows they did it.

hey its going to sound like a broken record, but the only lead a teacher slings are in pencils for their student's hands. So yet again, not the same thing.

quote:

The problem is that you think rumors and innuendo have probative value, but only when they’re about people you’re already predisposed to think are guilty of something.

Can't speak for that person, but as I said before, police should be held to the highest standard. They are in a completely unique position in that they use literal force (not taxes or bullshit) to enforce the will of the state.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Words about worker rights

Everything that you're saying is 100% my poo poo but this isn't the place for a debate on workers rights and I think that bringing it up is disingenuous. Police are not normal workers, full stop. Even ignoring the history where police were used as an arm of the state and their moneyed interests to break up strikes (and you shouldn't), that still doesn't account for the fact that even in 2015 being a police officer gives you unique and very important rights in the course of your normal job. Lumping police officers in with everyone else is bullshit because they are not like everyone else, by design.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...es/201512240211

quote:

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies got the call around 8:20 p.m. Monday. The security guard for a mobile home park in Douglasville, Ga., said he had just been held at gunpoint for 45 minutes as he made his evening rounds.

That was around the same time that Bobby Daniels, 48, got the frantic calls from loved ones — his 25-year-old son Bias was having an emotional breakdown, he had a gun and had just been holding a hostage.

Bobby Daniels beat the deputies there, and according to family members talked his despondent son into putting the weapon down on the hood of a car. Moments later, the father of five was shot twice — not by his son, but by a Douglas County sheriff’s deputy.

As has often been the case in the aftermath of police shootings this year, police officials and the slain man’s family tell contradictory stories of how Bobby Daniels ended up shot and dying on the asphalt.

The family believes that Bias Daniels was going through a mental and emotional breakdown, which is a common precursor to police shootings this year. Roughly a quarter of all people shot and killed by the police this year have been in the midst of a mental health crisis, according to a Post analysis.

Mr. Stewart said that Bobby Daniels than continued to reason with his son, eventually convincing him to set the gun down on the hood of the car.

It was then, Mr. Stewart says, that deputies attempted to use a stun gun on Bias Daniels — but it was ineffective because he was wearing a heavy coat. Bias Daniels then took a step toward the gun and, in what the family describes as an attempt to keep his son from getting the weapon, Bobby Daniels also went for the gun.

Initially, local police claimed that Bobby Daniels got the gun and pointed it at officers:

“I think that he could have been trying to help the situation instead of hurting it, but when he pointed the gun at the officers, he was shot,” Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller told reporters at the scene Monday night. “There’s no doubt in my mind that my officer thought his life was in danger, and he did what he thought he had to do.”

That claim has enraged family members, some of whom witnessed the shooting. They said Bobby Daniels was a Navy veteran who had for years been employed as a security guard at CNN’s Atlanta headquarters and that he was an avid defender of law enforcement.

“My husband would never ever take a gun and point it at an officer,” Cynthia Daniels, the slain man’s wife, said through thick tears during a news conference on Wednesday afternoon. “He would never do that.”

They insist Mr. Daniels saw his son going for the gun and attempted to swat it away, hoping to prevent the police from having to use lethal force on his son.

“He tried to slap the gun off the car. They thought he was trying to grab the gun probably to shoot them, but no, he really wasn’t,” Garrett Daniels, a nephew of Bobby Daniels who witnessed the shooting, told Channel 2 Action News in Atlanta. “He was trying to protect him. That’s all he was trying to do.”

A statement released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigations offers a third version of events — stating that the father and son struggled over the gun, and that it was then that officers attempted to use a stun gun on the younger man.

“As the fight continued between Bias and Bobby, the handgun was pointed at the deputies, at which point one of the deputy fired, striking and killing Bobby,” the GBI said in the statement.

After his father was shot, Bias Daniels grabbed the gun and ran away. He was later taken into custody and charged with aggravated assault, kidnapping and obstruction.

Security guard and Navy veteran peacefully disarms his son, while unarmed, and then gets shot and killed by the jumpy brave cops who show up. Then they managed to capture the son without killing him anyway, demonstrating that they killed the man for no reason.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

ToastyPotato posted:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...es/201512240211

Security guard and Navy veteran peacefully disarms his son, while unarmed, and then gets shot and killed by the jumpy brave cops who show up. Then they managed to capture the son without killing him anyway, demonstrating that they killed the man for no reason.

I love how immediately and ruthlessly the authorities blame the dead father for his own death. OF COOOOOURSE the dad who talked down his own son into disarming would then want to pick up the gun and point it at the officers for.... some reason. Right. Christ, what incompetent, cowardly, fucklechucks.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why would the DoJ go after anyone for burning down a guy's house? They fuckin' love burning peoples' houses down. IIRC they still have the high score for teargas-based arson/murder. (76 women and children, FBI/ATF dream team #1!)

I'd ask if they at least have fire trucks ready in case since those canisters seem to ignite unlike this Arizona rear end in a top hat but I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

I at least assume they gear up BEFORE they they show up instead of in the guys front lawn. I'm sure that guys car they rolled their play tank over was when the parking brakes "failed" was paid for right? One of the neighbors interviewed thought it was some sort of prank, that they were going to go medevil on him with paintballs since he didn't see any sheriff or other law enforcement logos and them getting dressed up in front of the house because that kind of breaks the whole idea of a surprise raid on a gun runner. Wasn't till they started firing tear gas into every window that he realized it was real. Because of course warning neighbors you're about to storm a house full of illegal weapons is something you may want to warn them about.

buttcoinbrony posted:

Everything that you're saying is 100% my poo poo but this isn't the place for a debate on workers rights and I think that bringing it up is disingenuous. Police are not normal workers, full stop. Even ignoring the history where police were used as an arm of the state and their moneyed interests to break up strikes (and you shouldn't), that still doesn't account for the fact that even in 2015 being a police officer gives you unique and very important rights in the course of your normal job. Lumping police officers in with everyone else is bullshit because they are not like everyone else, by design.

Yeah, at least compare jobs that carry heavier scrutiny and penalties. A doctor will have the DEA pawing through every script he ever wrote if they even think he writes too many C2 prescriptions. That's not even a 'rule' that can be followed and supposedly can be started by an anonymous tip, no signed/sworn statements! A couple months of patients in severe pain and a higher number of painkiller prescriptions is all it takes. Again second hand from sister in law but it's why doctors are so reluctant to give out opiates even if the patient needs them. There is no set number you hit that triggers in investigation, and during which you can't write any and the rules for taking away your privilege are apparently almost completely arbitrary. Doctors and especially surgeons have to carry massive insurance policies because of the high risk in something going wrong and being sued, or making a severe enough mistake (like killing someone!) and getting your license suspended or revoked. gently caress up bad enough and you're no longer a doctor. Murder a kid or a guy holding a toy in a store or a dude walking down the street with a pen and your department and justice system bend over backwards to keep you out of even losing your job much less jail far too often.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 27, 2015

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Chicago police managed to get in one more murdered young black man before the end of the year.

Bonus: A neighbor, a grandmother was hit, accidentally police say, and killed as well.

According to the local story

quote:

His father called police and then called his downstairs neighbor to open the door when officers arrived. It is not clear whether Jones had even finished opening up the door for them when officers fired at LeGrier who was charging down the stairs still carrying the bat.
The "charging" bit isn't sourced to anyone (ed: a second article attributes it to the police); apparently the police statement didn't say much

quote:

In a statement released Saturday offering scant detail, Chicago police said they “were confronted by a combative subject” that resulted in “the discharging of the officer’s weapon.”

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 28, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Ahh there is that lovely passive voice again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a lawsuit in California that may be the beginning of the end of the cash bail system

quote:

Crystal Patterson didn't have the cash or assets to post $150,000 bail and get out of jail after her arrest for assault in October.

So Patterson promised to pay a bail bonds company $15,000 plus interest to put up the $150,000 bail for her, allowing the 39-year-old to go home and care for her invalid grandmother.

The day after her release, the district attorney decided not to pursue charges. But Patterson still owes the bail bonds company. Criminal justice reformers and lawyers at a nonprofit Washington D.C. legal clinic say that is unconstitutionally unfair.

The lawyers have filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of Patterson, Rianna Buffin and other jail inmates who argue that San Francisco and California's bail system unconstitutionally treats poor and wealthy suspects differently.

The lawsuit filed by the Equal Justice Under Law in San Francisco federal court in October seeks to abolish the cash bail system in the city, state — and the country. It's the ninth lawsuit the center has filed in seven states.

"The bail system in most states is a two-tiered system," said center founder Phil Telfeyan. "One for the wealthy and one for everyone else."

The center has settled four lawsuits, persuading smaller jails in states in the South to do away with cash bail requirements for most charges.

Telfeyan said a win in California could add momentum to the center's goal to rid the country of the cash bail system, which the lawyers say is used by most county jails in all 50 states. The federal system usually allows nonviolent suspects free without bail pending trial and denies bail to serious and violent suspects.

It's blindingly obvious what the system is, but I won't be the least bit shocked if all the settled law on the matter just so happens to gently caress over the poor real hard. Strange how that happens so often.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

There's a lawsuit in California that may be the beginning of the end of the cash bail system

It's blindingly obvious what the system is, but I won't be the least bit shocked if all the settled law on the matter just so happens to gently caress over the poor real hard. Strange how that happens so often.

That article is really bad and it's not clear what exactly they're challenging. Bail bondsman for example, aren't legal in all states, but if they're challenging the concept of bail in general I don't understand what they could possibly be basing it on. Not only is the concept of bail explicitly mentioned in the constitution, it's settled law that you don't have a right to receive it at all.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Jarmak posted:

That article is really bad and it's not clear what exactly they're challenging.
It is pretty poorly written, but I think what they are challenging is cash bail on the basis that it unfairly favors people wealthy enough to actually pay it on their own. Seems like the idea may be to force the courts to always offer cashless alternatives like signature bonds or to completely waive/deny it for each case.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Because they aren't loving up people's lattes, people are getting killed.

Good point. No more labor protections for publicly employed medical workers. After all, they're not just making french fries, their jobs involve matters of life and death.

Also, say goodbye to your union air traffic controllers. People get killed when you screw up.

I understand the thought process that goes into your position, it's just that it's a horrible one. Stripping cops of labor rights is not going to "fix" the system, however you imagine that looks like.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
None of those people have legal authority over other regular people up to and including legally shooting them to death. Feel free to argue the point on its own merits rather than making false equivalences.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

And none of them essentially have self-governance over their own improprieities to the massive scale that police do.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

And beyond that allies in the criminal justice system that will manipulate it to exonerate them if it even gets that far.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

ToastyPotato posted:

Ahh there is that lovely passive voice again.

Did they mean to make it sound like something completely different?

"I'm so sorry, that's never happened to me before."

"Don't worry... studies show... 3 in 10 officers have problems with... premature discharge."
*dies sexually unsatisfied*

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

The Insect Court posted:

Good point. No more labor protections for publicly employed medical workers. After all, they're not just making french fries, their jobs involve matters of life and death.

Also, say goodbye to your union air traffic controllers. People get killed when you screw up.

Neither of these are equivalent because they are not wielding weapons, nor are they employed as agents of the state to enforce the will of said state. It's not even close to the same thing.

That being said, it turns out that malpractice is a thing that is actually heavily investigated and punished (often with the revocation of a medical license if found guilty) and if your negligence crashes a plane while air-traffic controlling you'll likely lose your job also, so what is your loving point anyhow?

quote:

I understand the thought process that goes into your position, it's just that it's a horrible one. Stripping cops of labor rights is not going to "fix" the system, however you imagine that looks like.

I'd argue that being employed as a police officer should be a privilege, not a right, due to the (once again) totally unique power they wield.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?
It looks like there is surveillance footage of the double police shooting in Chicago. The bad news is the police have possession of it and we all know how the CPD handles surveillance video. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...-12-27-22-39-04

quote:

Adam also said police took the hard drive of a home-security camera from across the street, but it was unknown if it or other cameras in the neighborhood captured the shootings.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cops are kinda like Vampires but instead of just not being visible on photographs or video, the sections where they would be there just mysteriously disappear entirely.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Man if only there were an organization that investigated the police that wasn't the police.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jarmak posted:

That article is really bad and it's not clear what exactly they're challenging. Bail bondsman for example, aren't legal in all states, but if they're challenging the concept of bail in general I don't understand what they could possibly be basing it on. Not only is the concept of bail explicitly mentioned in the constitution, it's settled law that you don't have a right to receive it at all.

Bail as it is now is absurd and obviously a way to keep poor people locked up while exempting anyone with resources from the same hardship.

If cash bail is necessary, it should be a percentage of assets so a person's means don't enter into it. That really should be the case for all criminal penalties, fines included. The "justice" system we have now with regard to payments to courts grinds the already poor deeper into poverty without impacting those who have the ability to pay.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, uh, to talk about the topic at hand, VA nurses do get investigated or disciplined if they receive complaints about their behavior, especially repeated ones. So do city-employed paramedics, EMTs, etc. And, as mentioned, the comparison between them still isn't appropriate, but even so, the police officer has more protection than publicly employed medical workers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This idea that cops that cops should't be investigated or disaplined because of complaints is simple to understand once you realize that the people arguing it, as always, simply don't want or expect cops to be held to any professional standards.

Because in jobs that have standards, getting complaints means you're doing a bad job, and labor protections do not mean that you're protected for doing a bad job.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't the bond company get their bond back when the charges are dropped? So the only money that should be owed to them is the agreed interest, right?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

The Locator posted:

Doesn't the bond company get their bond back when the charges are dropped? So the only money that should be owed to them is the agreed interest, right?

Nope. You are paying a bondsman a fee of 8-10% of your bond amount for them to put up the other 90%.

Edit: I don't know specifics in her case but in Florida if you have enough assets for the 10% (but not the 100% otherwise you wouldn't need a bondsman) like say your car you can give them the title as assurance you'll pay the money. You still have to pay it which is where the interest is probably from but until she coughs up the entire 15k thats probably the interest charges.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 28, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

This idea that cops that cops should't be investigated or disaplined because of complaints is simple to understand once you realize that the people arguing it, as always, simply don't want or expect cops to be held to any professional standards.

Because in jobs that have standards, getting complaints means you're doing a bad job, and labor protections do not mean that you're protected for doing a bad job.

If you're a customer service agent and a few people fill out a survey negatively, you can be sure that at the very least your management will look into what's going on and give you some remedial training. The idea that an employer would have to go out and get a sworn affidavit from the people complaining just to investigate the issue is ridiculous, and has nothing to do with workers' rights. It just insulates bad employees from any sort of scrutiny.

Even more hilarious, imagine the response if customer service agents threatened and intimidated people trying to leave bad reviews like cops do.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even more hilarious, imagine the response if customer service agents threatened and intimidated people trying to leave bad reviews like cops do.

I take it you have never tried to cancel a telecom service.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor is going to make an announcement at 2 pm EST regarding the grand jury investigation into the murder of Tamir Rice. The family has said they don't expect an indictment. A livestream of the announcement can be found here http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/12/cuyahoga_county_prosecutor_to.html

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Murderion posted:

Did they mean to make it sound like something completely different?

"I'm so sorry, that's never happened to me before."

"Don't worry... studies show... 3 in 10 officers have problems with... premature discharge."
*dies sexually unsatisfied*

Why do you think so many of their wives leave them? :rimshot:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Jarmak posted:

I'm curious why you included the fact that bail is explicitly mentioned in the constitution, but decided not to explain that the mention is this: "Excessive bail shall not be required ..." It seems like the second part of the fact might be key to understanding the significance of the first, in the context of a lawsuit about excessive bail.

e: in any case what constitutes excessive bail in these terms is already settled case law, the Supreme Court in Shack v Boyle found that any imposition beyond what is reasonably certain to compel the accused to appear is not constitutional. With respect to the case at question, habitually imposing bail in the amount of ten times what any person accused can afford on the assumption that they can just go to the bondsman anyway (and forfeit all their money to him whether guilty or not) doesn't pass that test.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 28, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor is going to make an announcement at 2 pm EST regarding the grand jury investigation into the murder of Tamir Rice. The family has said they don't expect an indictment. A livestream of the announcement can be found here http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/12/cuyahoga_county_prosecutor_to.html

no charges, quelle surprise

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
"indisputable that Tamir was drawing his gun" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

"indisputable that Tamir was drawing his gun" :rolleyes:

He's playing defense attorney, like the DAs always seem to. But police get no special privilege!!

• Locked thread