Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Jesus Christ. I missed this as well.

Edit: That sword must be incredible sharp to not just crush him.
Behold the superior might of glorious NipponJovian steel! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I think it could be argued that this just might be the best Gundam show.

Don't jinx it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

For me its this and Build Fighters. I prefer the Mecha design in Build Fighters (I like the strike, so shoot me) but drat if this show is't near perfect in terms of its overall narrative.

I also feel like the soundtrack killed it this episode, when normally I don't notice it at all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Green Intern posted:

Jesus Christ. I missed this as well.

Edit: That sword must be incredible sharp to not just crush him.

Mono filament edge more than likely, to cleave through nano laminate armor.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Man they're doing a good job of making Mika creepy as gently caress, I think that kiss scene pushed it over the edge for me, it was so drat sociopathic. I wish they'd started advancing his character arc much earlier though, he's not exactly pleasant to watch in his current state.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Xy Hapu posted:

Man they're doing a good job of making Mika creepy as gently caress, I think that kiss scene pushed it over the edge for me, it was so drat sociopathic. I wish they'd started advancing his character arc much earlier though, he's not exactly pleasant to watch in his current state.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I took as more akward than anything. Now all things considered, Mika is a stone cold killer, but I do think that the show is leaning toward him trying to humanize a bit better. Giving us info that he has a life goal and scenes of him learning to read and write are going a long way towards his character. The show is doing its best to give Mika his developmemt but the pace it's going at is what it should be. I'm still convinced that the show is going to either go one of three ways: A) Mika is in it until they complete their job and then tries to either become a farmer or settle with Kudelia if it goes anywhere, B) Have Orga die and Mika has to learn to exist as himself or C) Kudelia bites it and Mika loving snaps.

If Iron Blooded Orphans ends positively in a way that works well with the themes of the show, I'll be stoked. Realistically I'm expecting some really gnarly poo poo to go down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Not enough cows for that.

It's still pretty good so far, mind. Just, you know. Not enough cows.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheManSeries posted:

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I took as more akward than anything. Now all things considered, Mika is a stone cold killer, but I do think that the show is leaning toward him trying to humanize a bit better. Giving us info that he has a life goal and scenes of him learning to read and write are going a long way towards his character. The show is doing its best to give Mika his developmemt but the pace it's going at is what it should be. I'm still convinced that the show is going to either go one of three ways: A) Mika is in it until they complete their job and then tries to either become a farmer or settle with Kudelia if it goes anywhere, B) Have Orga die and Mika has to learn to exist as himself or C) Kudelia bites it and Mika loving snaps.

If Iron Blooded Orphans ends positively in a way that works well with the themes of the show, I'll be stoked. Realistically I'm expecting some really gnarly poo poo to go down.

Yea I got less a sociopath thing and more a 'Mika is a broken human being who will probably never fully be a real person' thing. He's aware of how normal people behave, he seems to genuinely WANT to behave that way, but it just doesn't work because that dude didn't live that kinda life. It felt less like 'I am mimicking how humans behave to fool you' and more like 'I've seen people do this, in theory, this is how a happy, adjusted, person acts right?'

Also totally casting my vote for C, Mika's on a path right now that either ends in farmer or ends in him just covered in blood screaming and this show REALLY doesn't feel like the kinda show where Mika gets to be a farmer and raise a cute baby and poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mika is absurdly better at being the Child Soldier archetype than Heero or Setsuna ever were. He really genuinely seriously feels like a hosed-up kid and not a monotone nobody.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Xy Hapu posted:

Given that Mika's only real example of "This is what a functioning adult looks like" is Naze, and Naze is also the guy with the huge harem who will occasionally just up and start necking with his wives, the kiss scene makes sense. Naze is a cool guy that Orga admires and Mika likes, he's grown up and leads a ship and has his poo poo together, and Naze does it all the time. Just up and kissing a girl you like is how things work for adults, right?

It's not a sociopathic thing, it's a bottomless void in his understanding of how "normal adults" do things. Naze is the only experience he's ever had in the "This is how you interact with women" category.

E: I don't mean say that Mika isn't sociopathic to some degree, especially to anybody who isn't in his in-group, since he kind of is. I meant that this specific scene doesn't really show any sociopathic tendencies if you consider his role models.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 28, 2015

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

TheManSeries posted:

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. I took as more akward than anything.

I was debating this myself, the scene really does come across as a more lighthearted thing. But the way he just went for it with zero inhibition, and how afterwards was completely over it and calmly munching on his plums struck me as exactly what how he acts when cold bloodedly murdering people. Also how he completely aped the harem guy's kissing, down to calling her cute, as if he saw that and was like 'oh so this is what humans do, I will copy this'.

I definitely don't think he was being malicious or deceptive, the creepy factor comes from him essentially being an alien going through human motions and Kudelia falling for it. I was like 'jesus christ stop blushing you have NO IDEA what's actually going on in his head and he would be acting the same if he'd just shot you in the gut :gonk:'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Mika is absurdly better at being the Child Soldier archetype than Heero or Setsuna ever were. He really genuinely seriously feels like a hosed-up kid and not a monotone nobody.

Yeah, he does. A big part of that is that Heero and Setsuna spent 99.999% of their time hanging out with people who were pretty much just as hosed up as they were so their insanity was sort of normal. Mika hangs out with people who are relatively normal, so his weirdness is highlighted and focused upon. His attempts at acting normal often come off as super unnatural and scripted, like a parrot imitating human speech, because he's simply trying to ape what other people do since he legit doesn't understand how to interact with other people. It's doubly magnified/tragic because Mika's super cool exterior and extreme level of competence means that those normal people are totally blind to exactly how hosed up and lost Mika is on a basic level; They look at him and say "Well, Mika seems emotionally alright and he's a super ace pilot so he's obviously got his poo poo together and is just a little weird, right?". Mika's hands shaking in this episode are the first time anyone has ever gotten an inkling that something might be wrong with him.

ShiroIchida posted:

Given that Mika's only real example of "This is what a functioning adult looks like" is Naze, and Naze is also the guy with the huge harem who will occasionally just up and start necking with his wives, the kiss scene makes sense. Naze is a cool guy that Orga admires and Mika likes, he's grown up and leads a ship and has his poo poo together, and Naze does it all the time. Just up and kissing a girl you like is how things work for adults, right?

It's not a sociopathic thing, it's a bottomless void in his understanding of how "normal adults" do things. Naze is the only experience he's ever had in the "This is how you interact with women" category.

Pretty much. None of the Tekkadan kids ever had (surviving) father figures or any indication of how normal people act. They've finally got a really good thing going with some allies that legitimately care about them and look out for them and seem to have all their poo poo together, so it's not terribly surprising that the less-adjusted ones among them like Mika would take cues from Naze and company.

Xy Hapu posted:

I definitely don't think he was being malicious or deceptive, the creepy factor comes from him essentially being an alien going through human motions and Kudelia falling for it. I was like 'jesus christ stop blushing you have NO IDEA what's actually going on in his head and he would be acting the same if he'd just shot you in the gut :gonk:'

Nah, he wouldn't be acting the same. If there's one thing Mika has been shown to be adamantly clear about it's knowing friend from foe and reacting to them differently. He very clearly likes Kudelia a lot simply based on how much he's bothered to interact with her compared to every other character, but he doesn't know how to show it properly so he just decided to try Naze's method and see how it worked.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 28, 2015

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
oh i so do not like kudelia's odds for surviving this all the sudden

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Sazabi posted:

Maybe when they get scrapped they'll get reincarnated into something even more traumatizing cute like how Acguy was reincarnated into Bearguy

They're getting sold to the new Full Metal Panic anime as spare parts for Rk-92 Savages.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

oh i so do not like kudelia's odds for surviving this all the sudden

That would invalidate all we've seen so far. If she's dead then Tekkadan goes home in shame and failure and everything we've seen so far is for nothing - while they may have set out on their own, they turned out to be nothing but a bunch of dumb kids. Besides, Gundam princesses don't die.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Kanos posted:

Nah, he wouldn't be acting the same. If there's one thing Mika has been shown to be adamantly clear about it's knowing friend from foe and reacting to them differently. He very clearly likes Kudelia a lot simply based on how much he's bothered to interact with her compared to every other character, but he doesn't know how to show it properly so he just decided to try Naze's method and see how it worked.

This could be true, but the danger here is that you're applying normal people standards to a not normal character, I'd be hesitant to say things like he likes her a lot with that much certainty, and I'd be even more hesitant to say that him liking her will affect his actions in a situation where he feels he has to kill her. If it came down to a scenario where he has to kill Kudelia to save the rest of the Tekkadan, which seems like it could realistically happen the way it's set up now, I'd put my money on him dispatching her with little fanfare. That's one of the fresh things about IBO, it's not "I can't pull the trigger *cries*" it's "I pulled the trigger *dies a little more inside*"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

This could be true, but the danger here is that you're applying normal people standards to a not normal character, I'd be hesitant to say things like he likes her a lot with that much certainty, and I'd be even more hesitant to say that him liking her will affect his actions in a situation where he feels he has to kill her. If it came down to a scenario where he has to kill Kudelia to save the rest of the Tekkadan, which seems like it could realistically happen the way it's set up now, I'd put my money on him dispatching her with little fanfare. That's one of the fresh things about IBO, it's not "I can't pull the trigger *cries*" it's "I pulled the trigger *dies a little more inside*"

Kudelia's life is inextricably intertwined with the future life/success of Tekkadan. Orga has made it adamantly clear that he has pinned Tekkadan's entire future on the Kudelia mission, and everything positive they have ever achieved has been because of it; them having enough money to even operate and the alliance with Teiwaz are due to Kudelia. A scenario where Mika would have to kill Kudelia to save the rest of Tekkadan is totally unthinkable and nonsensical with the current setup because even if they were surrounded by the entirety of Gjallarhorn and told "Kill Kudelia or we kill you", even if Mika did it, Tekkadan is dead anyway because their Teiwaz alliance is blown and their first big job as a merc organization is a failure.

I don't think Mika is as beep boop robotic as you think he is, as hosed up as he obviously is. I think there's a fair number of people he would not harm under pretty much any circumstances; I can't imagine a situation where he'd hurt Atra or Cookie or Cracker, for example. Kudelia easily fits into the same category since she's gone out of her way to help the kids of Tekkadan, including Mika himself.

A far more likely situation is Kudelia getting martyred, hurt badly, or captured, at which point Mika might go postal in a massively magnified version of when he went berserk on Gaelio.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'll agree he'd never hurt Atra/Cookie/Cracker and would go batshit if anything happened to them, I'd still say Kudelia's in a gray zone though, he's only known her a short time and hasn't shown any hint of protectiveness, it's hard to say how much he cares due to his nature. He almost treats her like a curiosity sometimes. I definitely wouldn't buy it though if her dying freaks him out, he didn't even bat an eye at the roomful of his dead buddies, I just can't see someone of his background flipping a table over a girl he recently met who he seems to kind of like.

I don't actually think he'll kill her or that she'll die, just that it's an open possibility. I think you overstate how important Kudelia is to Tekkadan on a practical level though; sure it would be a huge psychological blow (which they would just triumphantly overcome in the next episode after a rousing speech about what Kudelia would have wanted) but it doesn't change Tekkadan's significant fighting ability and it's not like Teiwaz and Naze are suddenly gonna be like yeah I know we swore we're blood brothers and had a fancy ceremony and poo poo and spent a billion dollars fixing your gundam just because we like the looks of you but the girl died so gently caress ya'll you're on your own now. If nothing else how's that gonna look to the other 'blood brothers'? And sure they needed her for start-up money but they're raking it in on their own merits at this point so even that's not a concern. I don't even see how their reputation would suffer that much, so they gave the solar system's greatest military a run for their money for a while but ultimately lost, how many merc organizations can say they've even won a single skirmish against them? Worst comes to worst they'll just rename to Tekkadom and start from scratch like they did before and let their skills and equipment do the talking. From a storytelling perspective it would be a pretty solid move as well, it'd force a lot of character development and really shake up the story. I don't think it invalidates any of her efforts either, Tekkadan itself being her legacy is much more effective and realistic than 'I talked to some politicians and made mars peace happen'. Still don't think it'll happen though.

EDIT: We also shouldn't forget that 'Tekkadan is successful' is still a pretty drat bad outcome, what with the whole child soldier thing; we as viewers should take a step back from Orga's idealization of that goal.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 28, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

I'll agree he'd never hurt Atra/Cookie/Cracker and would go batshit if anything happened to them, I'd still say Kudelia's in a gray zone though, he's only known her a short time and hasn't shown any hint of protectiveness, it's hard to say how much he cares due to his nature. He almost treats her like a curiosity sometimes. I definitely wouldn't buy it though if her dying freaks him out, he didn't even bat an eye at the roomful of his dead buddies, I just can't see someone of his background flipping a table over a girl he recently met who he seems to kind of like.

I don't actually think he'll kill her or that she'll die, just that it's an open possibility. I think you overstate how important Kudelia is to Tekkadan on a practical level though; sure it would be a huge psychological blow (which they would just triumphantly overcome in the next episode after a rousing speech about what Kudelia would have wanted) but it doesn't change Tekkadan's significant fighting ability and it's not like Teiwaz and Naze are suddenly gonna be like yeah I know we swore we're blood brothers and had a fancy ceremony and poo poo and spent a billion dollars fixing your gundam just because we like the looks of you but the girl died so gently caress ya'll you're on your own now. If nothing else how's that gonna look to the other 'blood brothers'? And sure they needed her for start-up money but they're raking it in on their own merits at this point so even that's not a concern. I don't even see how their reputation would suffer that much, so they gave the solar system's greatest military a run for their money for a while but ultimately lost, how many merc organizations can say they've even won a single skirmish against them? Worst comes to worst they'll just rename to Tekkadom and start from scratch like they did before and let their skills and equipment do the talking. From a storytelling perspective it would be a pretty solid move as well, it'd force a lot of character development and really shake up the story. I don't think it invalidates any of her efforts either, Tekkadan itself being her legacy is much more effective and realistic than 'I talked to some politicians and made mars peace happen'. Still don't think it'll happen though.

EDIT: We also shouldn't forget that 'Tekkadan is successful' is still a pretty drat bad outcome, what with the whole child soldier thing; we as viewers should take a step back from Orga's idealization of that goal.

The roomful of dead buddies were made dead by an enemy who had already been defeated and smashed to dust after Mika had brutally slaughtered their mobile suit corps, not an active heat-of-the-moment scenario. The one time we've seen people Mika cares about in a dangerous situation that Mika wasn't already in, he went loving ballistic(when Cookie and Cracker met Gaelio).

Tekkadan's alliance with Teiwaz was made entirely due to Kudelia being willing to accept Teiwaz as her sponsor, not because of Tekkadan's talents or manpower or even because Naze likes the Tekkadan boys(though the latter certainly helped). If Kudelia's mission fails due to her death or otherwise and Tekkadan can't present a drat good reason why they're still useful to the organization, it's quite easy to foresee their sponsorship being revoked, ceremony or no. Remember that Tekkadan are actively wanted criminals by Gjallarhorn. Having them on payroll is not a profitable scenario for Teiwaz unless they're getting some sort of major return on the investment, and the return on that investment is Kudelia's mission succeeding so that Teiwaz can claim credit and take advantage of the new political landscape. In a scenario where Teiwaz cuts them loose and their mission is a failure due to Kudelia biting it or otherwise, Tekkadan and the people in it are completely hosed.

Tekkadan being successful is the only realistic outcome for the near future success and survival of its members. It's pretty drat sad but conditions on Mars are so bad that being a paid child soldier in an organization that gives a drat about their welfare is a gigantic step up for what a bunch of illiterate children would be doing otherwise(likely crime or starving to death in the streets). Kudelia's mission may change the situation for the better but even then that's going to be a process that involves many years of reform and economic recovery and all of the current Tekkadan would have long reached adulthood before the situation improved meaningfully. Orga's approach of "Let's make Tekkadan super successful and awesome" is quite literally the only hope that all of its members have for the foreseeable future and dreams like Mika's of running a farm are pretty strictly long term goals.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

W.T. Fits posted:

Agreed, and that's not a claim I take lightly. But man, this show's really on fire. They've still got half a season to gently caress it up, of course, so we can't hand them any gold statuettes quite yet, but if they can keep up the quality? Yeah, best Gundam I've ever seen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mika is the best Gundam anime protagonist, period. :allears: I hope the show just lets him keep being him.

jng2058 posted:

Agreed, and that's not a claim I take lightly. But man, this show's really on fire. They've still got half a season to gently caress it up, of course, so we can't hand them any gold statuettes quite yet, but if they can keep up the quality? Yeah, best Gundam I've ever seen.

Definitely. It totally eclipses everything else, honestly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO is good on an emotional and character levels but I admit so far I find the actual plot pretty boring. The strongest moments to me are the little character moments and the development of Mika. My interest in the political situation is pretty minimal and I kind of honestly remember Macky and pals exist when the screen focuses on them. I also don't give the smallest poo poo about Ein's rageboner over Mika killing Crank except in how it might influence Mika's character. This might change once they finally get Kudelia to Earth but at the moment I'd much rather just watch Tekkadan dealing with their weird lovely reality than anything involving Gjallerhorn

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I also don't give the smallest poo poo about Ein's rageboner over Mika killing Crank except in how it might influence Mika's character.

Ein has kind of been the show's weakpoint. I hope he gets offed super casually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

IBO is good on an emotional and character levels but I admit so far I find the actual plot pretty boring. The strongest moments to me are the little character moments and the development of Mika. My interest in the political situation is pretty minimal and I kind of honestly remember Macky and pals exist when the screen focuses on them. I also don't give the smallest poo poo about Ein's rageboner over Mika killing Crank except in how it might influence Mika's character. This might change once they finally get Kudelia to Earth but at the moment I'd much rather just watch Tekkadan dealing with their weird lovely reality than anything involving Gjallerhorn

The Gjallarhorn dudes are only getting scenes right now to remind the viewers that they exist, because the first half of the show hasn't really been about them at all except peripherally and the main characters are only vaguely aware McGillis and Gaelio even exist. I'm fairly certain Ein being worthless and ineffectual is intentional, and unless things change in a major way like Ein somehow killing Orga or Kudelia or something I'm pretty sure Mika's response to Ein going "I WANT VENGEANCE ON YOU" will be "Who are you again?" before pilebunkering his cockpit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
13 episodes is a lot to work with. I'm just awaiting the major poo poo that will erupt when they reach Earth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Gjallarhorn dudes are only getting scenes right now to remind the viewers that they exist, because the first half of the show hasn't really been about them at all except peripherally and the main characters are only vaguely aware McGillis and Gaelio even exist. I'm fairly certain Ein being worthless and ineffectual is intentional, and unless things change in a major way like Ein somehow killing Orga or Kudelia or something I'm pretty sure Mika's response to Ein going "I WANT VENGEANCE ON YOU" will be "Who are you again?" before pilebunkering his cockpit.

It's unclear whether he's young enough to get Alaya-Vijnana implants, which would make him an infinitely more dangerous opponent as the pilot of the Kimaris. McGillis's scenes do serve an important purpose as well, though, giving us another perspective on this spectacularly broken world and showing that it's aristocratic heart is in some ways as savage and exploitative as its impoverished periphery.

Regarding the recent Mikazuki discussion, I do feel that he's on the path to a breaking point, but it sort of feels like a good thing. One of the biggest reasons for the pressures he's under is because of Kudelia and Atra gently dragging him towards becoming a functional human being, and him hitting a point where he can no longer handle his present life seems like a necessary step for him to start healing. Keeping it all bottled up is way unhealthy. I think the most likely source of drama there is how Orga will react. He absolutely cares for his best friend, but he also doesn't have the greatest idea of what's good for him, not least because he needs him as his pet killer (which he rationalises as needing Mika to be ruthless so the kid can survive the bleak, dark world they were born into). The girls defusing Mika would likely put them in conflict with Orga, bringing to the surface their difference of opinions over what's best for Tekkadan.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

ShiroIchida posted:

Well, that sure was an episode. First half was incredibly brutal, but the second half was pretty nice.

The possibility of Mika actually internalizing the joys of killing is pretty terrifying. On the other hand, his job does by definition involve a lot of killing and it looks like he'll be in it for at least a short while longer. Obviously the best situation would be one in which you're not a child soldier, but if you are...maybe it's better for your mental health to like it? Better than hating it?

Wow, that sure sounds messed up now that I've typed it out.

Reminds me of Raiden's breakdown/realization during the middle of Metal Gear Rising.

Say, doesn't something in the Allaya-Vijana system use nanomachines too? :V

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

The only other ones I can think of in the same region are Sosuke Sagara, whose immense psychological trauma is played for laughs, and Kappei Jin from Zambot 3, which is definitely a bit different.

"do i enjoy killing people? if i do, is that wrong? it seems to me that most people consider that hosed up, even that gross fuckhead i just killed thought it was messed up, but what's really wrong with-"

*kaname busts into scene and uses Domestic Abuse 4*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lanz posted:

Reminds me of Raiden's breakdown/realization during the middle of Metal Gear Rising.

The thing about Metal Gear Rising, though, is that Raiden realized the villains were just being hypocritical dickheads and that carving through bad guys was Cool and Fun. Mika's awesome because he's already there.

Granted, many of the engagements up to this point have been kind of morally gray, but only in that it's regretful they had to take place at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Also I definitely get that weird vibe with McGillis, and think he's up to some Dark & Heinous poo poo, but definitely not pedo stuff. I think it's more likely, based on his talk about reforming Gjallarhorn from the inside, that he's going to be using his childbride as some kind of gambling chip or human sacrifice.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sousuke's are played for laughs the majority of the time, but they are given weight occasionally. I can't remember most of what I read of the novels, but I do recall the anime only arc about him visiting his homeland giving some weight to his issues for instance. It was one of my favorite parts of the original anime too. Especially the ending, with him and Kaname just curled up in the corridor, both bone tired and happy to be in each other's presence again finally because they were the single best element in each other's lives and the one person they could be themselves around a lot of the time.

That said, I really like Setsuna and probably still prefer him to Mika, at least for the moment. It depends on how Iron Blooded Orphans pans out I guess. I liked that Setsuna was always portrayed as fundamentally broken by his past and incapable of proper interpersonal relationships, that even during the second season he was living vicariously through Saji instead of magically curing his own issues and that he became the perfect ambassador because he was so broken he represented both the best and worst of humanity and was willing to leave everything behind because he was so emotionally unattached to everything. It was great that as much as the show threw magic powers and poo poo at him, it never actually fixed his major personality problems and always left as problems that he could never get over and that would always haunt him. That scene early on of him sitting on a park bench eating a sandwich in an idyllic scene and it cutting to his own view of it as surrounded by death and destruction a la a flashback intruding on every day life is great too.

This episode did make me realize that I think the show missed a trick by having all the evil adults in both CGS and Brewers just be assholes who started their own company apparently and not having any of them being legacy orphans who were raised in that environment and learned to treat others in that same way. Having Kudal or anime Hitler be orphans with AV implants themselves, who were raised in that way and know nothing but it would add a lot more to the tragedy and pathos of the way they act I think, than just having them randomly treat kids like poo poo just because it makes them look more evil. The sheer shittiness of a lot of those characters is probably my biggest problem with the show though. They're just too cartoonisly evil, especially the Brewers guys who look like they're pulled out of a completely different show to boot.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 29, 2015

Lanz
May 30, 2013

muike posted:

Also I definitely get that weird vibe with McGillis, and think he's up to some Dark & Heinous poo poo, but definitely not pedo stuff. I think it's more likely, based on his talk about reforming Gjallarhorn from the inside, that he's going to be using his childbride as some kind of gambling chip or human sacrifice.

Something occured to me today reading some thoughts about the interaction

So like, the Kimaris is a Gundam, probably going to be in Gjallahorn custody. Being a Gundam, it's set up for and, possibly, still has its Alaya-Vijnana system intact.

The Alaya-Vijnana system can only feasbily be succesfully implanted when you're still young and you and the rig can adapt to one another.*

And McGillis is currently in an arranged marriage with a kid who's just the right age to get an advanced BCI Rig bolted into her nervous system and is boosting her spirits and self worth in relation to himself.

Almiria's totally getting pushed into getting a few whiskers bolted onto her spine before this show is done, isn't she?

*That still feels weird and out of place to me in a world where we have BCI experiments from DARPA where a middle-aged woman hooked up to it can control a flight simulator with her mind

Lanz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 29, 2015

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
As long as that doesn't turn into cyber-newtype bullshit I'm fine with this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Ooh, I could see that if he goes full Char.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its fair to believe the complete opposite of what you think would happen will happen in regards to UC concept like things. So instead of the person being turned into a crazy murderer because of the system, it'll end up opening their eyes to how hosed up everything is in the world.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 29, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Its kind of hard to believe that we are over halfway done with this show already. This really feels like it needs to be a 52 episode series. Either the entirety of the show is going to just be the trip to bring Kudelia to Earth and then end, or the plot is going to get seriously hurried along at some point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Its kind of hard to believe that we are over halfway done with this show already. This really feels like it needs to be a 52 episode series. Either the entirety of the show is going to just be the trip to bring Kudelia to Earth and then end, or the plot is going to get seriously hurried along at some point.

I'm pretty certain that the entirety of the show is the trip to bring Kudelia to the Earth and what happens once they get there. Since they're done with the Space Drama stuff I'd wager they're going to be nearing Earth within the next couple of episodes, which leaves 8-10 episodes to be all about What Happens On Earth and Gjallarhorn.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

13 episodes is a lot to work with. The pacing is gradual, but there's no filler episode unlike most Gundam shows or shows in general that go 50+.

Gurren Lagann didn't kick off its operation against Lord Genome until episode 14.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I guess part of it may just be that prior to Reco G I am pretty sure that there wasn't a major Gundam TV show with an episode count below 40, with almost all of them running around 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I guess part of it may just be that prior to Reco G I am pretty sure that there wasn't a major Gundam TV show with an episode count below 40, with almost all of them running around 50.

And most of them can be fit into 3 movies well for a reason.

• Locked thread