Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dijon du jour posted:

I'm just glad Xenoblade Chronicles came along and fully fleshed out FFXII's superior gameplay.

That's kind of how I describe it to people though.
Final Fantasy 12 done right.
The Gambit system was really good but the world was bland as all gently caress. Kinda the opposite for Xenoblade. The world is insanely loving awesome but the combat is just kinda okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think I might be done with History of Power Rangers. Linkara got really, really ranty and it was not fun ranty. It felt like the equivalent of listening to someone read their EXTREMELY ANGRY ALLCAPS FORUM POST.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jsor posted:

I think I might be done with History of Power Rangers. Linkara got really, really ranty and it was not fun ranty. It felt like the equivalent of listening to someone read their EXTREMELY ANGRY ALLCAPS FORUM POST.

Can you give a run down? Those things are like 2 hours long and I'd rather not slog through it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

This sounds like I'm gonna unironically love it. :allears:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can you give a run down? Those things are like 2 hours long and I'd rather not slog through it.

Nothing really interesting. For part 3 of his Megaforce review it was basically just one long shouty rant about how the anniversary season wasn't giving due deference to the series, was lazily produced, didn't have a good story, etc. None of his points were even necessarily bad content-wise, but it was just him shouting for like 15 minutes. He's shouting some more in Episode 4 and I just kind of paused it out of boredom.

I liked when HOPR was just a fun project where he did a quick recap and then some character and middling-effort theme analysis. Like I said, now it feels like an incensed forum post. Really, the best way I can describe it is exactly like one of those long effortposts you get in TVIV when someone really hates a new episode of Doctor Who.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 27, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
One of Linkara's biggest issues is that he's really not funny enough to pull off an angry rant and not seem incredibly grating and annoying. When he pieces together and clearly states the issues in the work he's excellent and interesting, but holy poo poo is it annoying when he slips into those rants, especially with his weird anti-cursing thing where he says poo poo like "WHAT THE FUNK AND WAGNAL" which is just cringey.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jsor posted:

Obligatory post of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuzZIirRus

JB50 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Even before clicking that I knew exactly what video it was.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Oh my God, this (combined with the second one) are perfect. Where have I been that I haven't heard this before?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Jsor posted:

I've watched the first four parts and nothing from Linkara seemed that bad to me. It just sounds like a really bad two seasons of power rangers with a lot wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's really Megaforce's fault more than anything. It's just a trash loving series.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shouldn't be surprised because youtube comments, but boy are those notably lovely.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've watched the first four parts and nothing from Linkara seemed that bad to me. It just sounds like a really bad two seasons of power rangers with a lot wrong.

It might just be that since the last episode I've gotten almost completely out of the "angry reviewer" scene. The closest I've gotten is Baywatching which is Lupa having an immense amount of fun instead of being mad. Even the few Linkara things I've watched have all been positive (Steam Wars and Homestuck). The few "angry" things I've engaged with have all been text, so maybe I've just disengaged with the whole thing so much things I wouldn't have noticed before stick out to me now.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 28, 2015

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Shouldn't be surprised because youtube comments, but boy are those notably lovely.
Yeah, I can't really understand how you could get so angry about someone as milquetoast as Linkara as to make transphobic comments related to him and his ex-girlfriend.

And the Larry Bundy Jr. ones surprised me. I haven't watched anything from him (or any of the other game people from Channel Awesome, really) since the years when That Guy With the Glasses was in its prime, but I recall him being a relatively chill guy who was friends with Stuart Ashen. What happened?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Yeah, I can't really understand how you could get so angry about someone as milquetoast as Linkara as to make transphobic comments related to him and his ex-girlfriend.

And the Larry Bundy Jr. ones surprised me. I haven't watched anything from him (or any of the other game people from Channel Awesome, really) since the years when That Guy With the Glasses was in its prime, but I recall him being a relatively chill guy who was friends with Stuart Ashen. What happened?

He's a gater iirc. That pretty much sums up all you need to know.

On that note, I looked up Linkara's ex's twitter because I completely forgot she existed and wondered what she was up to these days and she is also a gater. :staredog:

Can't say I was expecting that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

On that note, I looked up Linkara's ex's twitter because I completely forgot she existed and wondered what she was up to these days and she is also a gater. :staredog:

:( That is super disappointing, always thought she was cool.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 28, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, it's really Megaforce's fault more than anything. It's just a trash loving series.

Word, Megaforce is an insane combination of laziness, crappiness and misplaced effort which is a shame because Gokaiger (the pirate one) is super fun.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Whoops, someone out there holds an opinion I disagree with. How super disappointing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PiedPiper posted:

Whoops, someone out there holds an opinion I disagree with. How super disappointing.

That tends to be disappointing when it comes to gamergate.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 28, 2015

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Glass houses, WickedHate. Glass houses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't understand the point of re-shooting a fight scene because you make one of the rangers into mmpr. No poo poo he was fired for financial reasons.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Your posts in the Star Wars thread raised an eyebrow, but now I can add you to my ignore list without hesitation.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

He's a gater iirc. That pretty much sums up all you need to know.

Can't say I was expecting that.

The only good gator is a dead gator

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
guys remember gaamergate talk is against the rules of this thread. let reel this in before it get's messy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The only good gator is a dead gator

This, but unironically

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DStecks posted:

Your posts in the Star Wars thread raised an eyebrow, but now I can add you to my ignore list without hesitation.

But I thought I already was in your ignore list. Or was my controversial opinion on Zelda not enough?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I am still shocked spoony wasn't a gater. everything I seen from his twitter he despise the group moreso then angry joe.

also spoony's forum is a gamergate cesspool now, I got banned there by going into blind rage when they started bringing up rape victims being fake in the games forum.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 28, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

quote:

NEW VERSION: No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.

so let end this now.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cyron posted:

so let end this now.

Hey guys, stop posting about this thing I keep posting about

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OctoberCountry posted:

Hey guys, stop posting about this thing I keep posting about

ok gently caress the Rules them .

gamergaters should be drag out of their house and lynch. there are bigiots and not just to woman, their neo conservative by nature. their holding back the artform of gaming by making the rest of us look like clowns. and the the "ethics" they promote is a joke. they just get pissy when a review site rate a game below a 9 and when some site did some sort of real journalism they shitted on the site.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 28, 2015

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cyron posted:

ok gently caress the Rules them .

gamergaters should be drag out of their house and lynch.

Are you drunk?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cyron posted:

I am still shocked spoony wasn't a gater. everything I seen from his twitter he despise the group moreso then angry joe.

also spoony's forum is a gamergate cesspool now, I got banned there by going into blind rage when they started bringing up rape victims being fake in the games forum.

Based on how you post here, I sincerely doubt that's how it went down at all.

OctoberCountry posted:

Are you drunk?

No, Cyron is just really, really stupid. No matter what side Cyron is on in any issue, you can always bet he'll make it look way worse.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 28, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Asuron posted:

Based on how you post here, I sincerely doubt that's how it went down at all.

No, Cyron is just really, really stupid. No matter what side Cyron is on in any issue, you can always bet he'll make it look way worse.

what do you mean. that post was a year ago. if people are still hung up about what i said then i apologies 16 times by then.

anyways on internet critic topics jim sterling just posted his wrost of the year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nd6I9W_z6Y

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
So did anyone post Todd's new music review that came out a couple days ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFjVy87HJM

He really hits most of the points as to why 'Hello' was disappointing (it's basically a lesser retread of 'Someone Like You'). He didn't mention the fact that it sounded like a depressing dirge and is very hard to listen to.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cyron posted:

what do you mean. that post was a year ago. if people are still hung up about what i said then i apologies 16 times by then.

Your posting hasn't improved, as proven on this very page. You've only changed what side your on, which doesn't mean what you're saying is any less stupid. I mean for christs sake you're actually sincerely advocating for people to be dragged out of their homes and get lynched, what makes you think that's acceptable in any way?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Asuron posted:

Your posting hasn't improved, as proven on this very page. You've only changed what side your on, which doesn't mean what you're saying is any less stupid. I mean for christs sake you're actually sincerely advocating for people to be dragged out of their homes and get lynched, what makes you think that's acceptable in any way?

I think he might be using what scientists call hyperbole.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mad Lupine posted:

So did anyone post Todd's new music review that came out a couple days ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFjVy87HJM

He really hits most of the points as to why 'Hello' was disappointing (it's basically a lesser retread of 'Someone Like You'). He didn't mention the fact that it sounded like a depressing dirge and is very hard to listen to.

I dunno. I do agree that "Hello" is disappointing and mediocre, but even a lesser Adele song beats a lot of other pop songs in my book, and is lightyears beyond "Hotline Bling," which is utter garbage. Drake is capable of putting out good music, but his bad stuff is baaaaaaaaad.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Asuron posted:

as oldtenniscourt said that was hyperbole, and considering we had people a few post above me saying a good gater is a dead gater, I am shocked you didn't yell at them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did we know that Movie Nights did the Grumpy Cat movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2skfQW0rY

She likes it, and I kind of do too. However she did point out something even more depressing about the exploitation of the real-world Grumpy Cat (original name Tard): she is so mutated that she can barely walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

God why is this thread in particular always so weird and bad and entertaining

Anyway noted video game critics The Retronauts mentioned notably good website legendsoflocalization.com and it's worth a look if you're interested in how games change between Japan and other areas of the world. Read it instead of this thread, it's engaging and interesting.

• Locked thread