Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Ah ha ha... finally made it to Drangleic Castle...

I opened all six Ruin Sentinel doors by accident before I figured out what was going on... :cry:

Edit: So, wait - if these weird tentacle-altars I keep running into are the connections to the three DLC areas... where they there in the base game, and you just couldn't get in until they added the keys via DLC? How did that work with the Shrine of Winter being the gateway to Drangleic Castle?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

I opened all six Ruin Sentinel doors by accident before I figured out what was going on... :cry:

enemy horde ahead therefore try luring out one at a time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: So, wait - if these weird tentacle-altars I keep running into are the connections to the three DLC areas... where they there in the base game, and you just couldn't get in until they added the keys via DLC? How did that work with the Shrine of Winter being the gateway to Drangleic Castle?

Uh, by not touching the altar?

That particular one was there from day one, it just didn't do anything. The other two were added to their respective areas later on via a game patch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ghost of Starman posted:

The only one that was in the base game was the Shrine of Winter, the others got added in later. You just walked by it without doing anything though. Couldn't even examine it. It was kind of a mystery.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Woo! King's Ring, motherfuckers!

Which door should I go through first, friend goons? :v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Woo! King's Ring, motherfuckers!

Which door should I go through first, friend goons? :v:

You should hit the one in the castle first, unless you want to add extra challenge to the admittedly pretty easy final boss. After that, the one north of shaded woods, then the one in forest of fallen giants.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Well now that it is 18 bucks I don't think I can feel bad about buying this, also bought Lords of the Fallen because that is 10 bucks. Deciding which to play first, just finished a Soul Lvl 1 Run in Dark Souls 1 so feel pretty pumped for any more souls like content at this point.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

rjderouin posted:

Well now that it is 18 bucks I don't think I can feel bad about buying this, also bought Lords of the Fallen because that is 10 bucks. Deciding which to play first, just finished a Soul Lvl 1 Run in Dark Souls 1 so feel pretty pumped for any more souls like content at this point.
Do you have a few friends over and beers? Do you really like making fun of bad games? Maybe even stream your misadventures? Then you should play Lords. It's hilariously awful. Really, I'm not exaggerating here, you will die laughing at how bad it is especially compared to a Souls game. Don't get me wrong, it's well worth its :10bux:, but not in the slightest because it's actually fun to play :D.

Point of advice and first joke: the controls are 100% exactly the same as in Dark Souls (1), up to including a kick (which is useless in Lords) instead of guard break, but Interact (A button) and Dodge (B button) are swapped...in the default scheme. They have an alternate control scheme. All it does is swap the buttons back to make it an exact Souls copy :haw:.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only thing that is kinda nice about Lords of the Fallen is the feel to the equipment weight, with heavy armor you can ram enemies and make them stumble. Too bad the rest is too slow and you have to backtrack A LOT.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Guillermus posted:

The only thing that is kinda nice about Lords of the Fallen is the feel to the equipment weight, with heavy armor you can ram enemies and make them stumble. Too bad the rest is too slow and you have to backtrack A LOT.
I killed a boss and a door didn't open after the boss, I then had to run back through the entire dungeon again, through ANOTHER dungeon, to talk so Some Dude who said "man you should really check out [first dungeon], there's a lot of poo poo going down there". Only then did the door open.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Just started playing it and I was super amused when I was fighting a shield enemy and out of reflex kicked him and lo and behold the kick is the same button config as dark souls. So far its pretty blah. Like its a Souls rip off in every single way except it has this super tacky storyline with really awkward dialogue and early 2000s moral choice system kinda going. I hear its pretty short so I am just going to finish it before playing Dark Souls 2, gives me a break from super intense game play.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I hope that game goes free on ps+ or something because I'd still like to play it, but not so much that I want to buy it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Guillermus posted:

The only thing that is kinda nice about Lords of the Fallen is the feel to the equipment weight, with heavy armor you can ram enemies and make them stumble.

This actually sounds like a cool feature to give super heavy armour. If you sprint and then roll you do a special move that stagger smaller enemies and makes them fall on their rear end.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Or you can use a heavy weapon that inflicts a huge amount of poise damage, which is basically the exact same mechanic.

Heavy armor is used to absorb poise damage, not dish it out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
While overall lords of the fallen had some medicore combat it had a few neat ideas that made me annoyed dark souls games havent used. I'm not sure why it gets so much hate though. It's a perfectly fine game for the most part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Or you can use a heavy weapon that inflicts a huge amount of poise damage, which is basically the exact same mechanic.

I don't know, giving the player a different move or two based on armor weight sounds pretty cool, actually. I might even actually wear heavy armor myself if I could do something cool with it to offset having s crappy roll.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Speaking of, is 'heaviest armor you can grab, & greatshield' viable enough to offset losing a decent roll, in either DS1 or 2? I guess I haven't actually tried, it just seems like there are so many bosses that would 'lolnope' you regardless of how beefy your defense.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Speaking of, is 'heaviest armor you can grab, & greatshield' viable enough to offset losing a decent roll, in either DS1 or 2? I guess I haven't actually tried, it just seems like there are so many bosses that would 'lolnope' you regardless of how beefy your defense.

It was extremely, ridiculously viable in DaSo at launch. Hollow Knight Shields had more stability than most greatshields do now and even just the stone set could face tank most anything. Once you got Iron Flesh you just stopped giving a gently caress.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mr Dog posted:

The problem is that armor isn't good in any of the Souls games. You can get by wearing massively heavy armor, but ultimately it doesn't offer you any advantage commensurate to the disadvantage it puts you at by sacrificing your fast roll. No matter how good an individual piece of armor is, it doesn't have any defense equal in value to "press button to move past/away from enemy while becoming temporarily invincible to all damage". In DeS armor was basically completely useless and there was very little reason to ever not go naked. DaS tried to forestall that with poise; DaS2 pretty much broke that game's poise system by merging it into the existing hyper armor system, while trying to be a little more permissive about rolling so you can wear metal pants without screwing yourself out of the most powerful defensive tool in the game. Bloodborne said the hell with the whole thing. That's too bad because armor looks cool and intuitively seems like it should be a good thing to have on. It would be nice if armor had a mechanic other than damage mitigation to give it a bit more reason to exist than fashion. Fat rolling into someone having the same effect as a kick/goomba stomp is a pretty fun idea imo. Make it work like Armor of Thorns. Minimal damage, but staggers. Since you're fat rolling though, it would have a pretty long recovery animation that leaves you vulnerable and makes the move hard to spam.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
It's pretty easy to beat Dark Souls without touching the dodge button if you know what you're doing. Very few bosses can do anything if the player is blocking behind a good shield, and high poise means uninterrupted estus sips.

There's a reason From gave every other boss a grab attack in DS2/Bloodborne.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I don't know about DS2 since I just started that but generally heavy armor is going to disappoint you because bosses will just murder you and you will probably want the mobility over the defense. With a few exceptions however, I would always wear super heavy armor ( stone , havel , etc... ) against like the Four Kings or other DPS race bosses. My thoughts are though, just do what you like, try not to read too much and play it more as an experience rather than an optimization game. I just beat DS1 at Soul Level 1 wearing armor I thought looked cool and I am not that great of a player. Just pick a cool set, a cool sword and whack people.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Played DS2 a year-ish ago (I forget) and honestly wasn't a very big fan due to the hitboxes, unexplained agi stat, diminishing HP on death, and other quibbles that killed it for me. Still finished it while cursing and bitching the whole ride. Going this game without a guide seems like an exercise in frustration then and now; while actively exploring is one thing, this game tries too hard to be vague and I really do not like most of the dull dialogue where the clues are hidden. On that note, I can't remember how much guide use I did the first run; it was present however.

Curiosity got the best of me and last week I upgraded vanilla w/o DLC to SotFS. It's a smidge better overall, but also feels like they took a pepper shaker to add more enemies about.

Friend who gave me the vanilla game swears the DLC is 100% awesome, so I'm sorta looking forward to that this time. I just wrapped up or am about done with the Bastille, so I've got a long while to go and outside of being even more godawful at the combat then previously, it's much smoother sailing on replay.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I always did find it weird that people complain about Dark Souls II hitboxes and hold it as a negative over the first game, because while they can be pretty wonky, the first Dark Souls had really weird and poo poo hitboxes too which was something I'd noticed pretty heavily in my recent replay of Dark Souls 1. Bloodborne was the one game where I didn't notice any weirdness with hitboxes.

I guess it's more noticeable in Dark Souls II because of the Adaptability stat determining how many iframes you have and having low Adaptability means getting hit while you're nowhere near the enemy or its attack is somewhat more common.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Friend who gave me the vanilla game swears the DLC is 100% awesome, so I'm sorta looking forward to that this time.

Absolutely, they're basically DS1 levels. Good level design, great art, amazing bosses.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Best way to kill Nito is to go full Havel and just hit him in the face while laughing at his stupid skeletons.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Absolutely, they're basically DS1 levels. Good level design, great art, amazing bosses.

Didn't see any hastily copy pasted textures and dragon butts everywhere in the DLC.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mans posted:

Didn't see any hastily copy pasted textures and dragon butts everywhere in the DLC.
Shulva's basement is covered with completed dragon butts.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mans posted:

Ok, Izalith doesn't count :v:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Elman posted:

Ok, Izalith doesn't count :v:

or demon ruins. or duke's archives. or crystal caves. or tomb of giants.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Eh, I actually thought those were fine. Izalith is the only area that's blatantly unfinished, it's just a bunch of copy pasted dinosaur butts everywhere, followed by useless fat demons and then the most unfun "boss" in the game.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Elman posted:

Eh, I actually thought those were fine. Izalith is the only area that's blatantly unfinished, it's just a bunch of copy pasted dinosaur butts everywhere, followed by useless fat demons and then the most unfun "boss" in the game.

demon ruins is just copy pasted taurus and capra demons.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Undead Burg is just copy pasted hollows.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Since everyone is saying armor sucks, can someone explain how much defense armor actually gives you? Let's say i have 1500 hit points, and I'm naked, and a monster hits me for 1000 hp. If you put on a maxed out Elite Knight Set, which looks to have about 475 physical defense, do you take that same hit and lose 525 instead of 1000?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Duke's Archives is good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, I don't know in what crazy world Duke's Archives and Tomb of Giants aren't considered good levels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Since everyone is saying armor sucks, can someone explain how much defense armor actually gives you? Let's say i have 1500 hit points, and I'm naked, and a monster hits me for 1000 hp. If you put on a maxed out Elite Knight Set, which looks to have about 475 physical defense, do you take that same hit and lose 525 instead of 1000?

There's an old reddit post that suggests that physical defenses reduce damage by roughly 1 point per 20 defense, but newer posts seem to indicate that it changed in a patch and is something else entirely now. Elemental defenses are a flat 1/10% resistance except that you start with 100 points that aren't shown on your stat sheet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Elemental defence is good if you can stack it since its % based. Physical defence apparently got nerfed at some point so its not as important. Fextalife wiki claims its 1 damage reduced per 12 points of armor. Poise is mostly good if you get a lot of it, othervise its probably going to be a waste.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Crystal caves were really cool and very very short and I really don't get people whining about it.

Did you really have that much trouble watching the snowflakes to figure out where to walk?

Also Tomb of Giants wtf?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Dabir posted:

Duke's Archives is good.

duke's archive starts off strong with an unwinnable boss fight. it does this so it can put you through the least interesting prison break sequence imaginable. (good thing seathe thought to put the one snake man with single-digit hp right outside your cell.) then you go through a series of uninspired fights, mostly against against snake men and hollows. occasionally there is a teleporting sorcerer. if you're real good at dank souls, you might be able to get back to the unwinnable boss arena, recover your souls/humanity and homeward bone out before seathe kills you again. better do it quick if you don't want to be cursed. finally there are some golems wandering around in an open area that you fight one by one.

seriously, i know it probably seems that i'm way too salty about the forced loss. i could probably deal with that if the rest of the area made up for it, but there's just nothing particularly interesting there. the octopus monsters are kinda neat, i guess?

Zaphod42 posted:

Crystal caves were really cool and very very short and I really don't get people whining about it.

Did you really have that much trouble watching the snowflakes to figure out where to walk?

the crystal caves consist of invisible platforms and - speaking of copy and paste - moonlight butterflies. this creates three problems for the devs:

1. you can't have enemies standing on the invisible platforms, or you give away the whole gimmick.
2. even if you could, it's really hard to make a combat encounter on an invisible platform that is involved and difficult without being overly frustrating.
3. it's literally impossible for melee players to fight the butterflies.

presented with the choice of dropping their dumb invisible platforms gimmick or not having any combat encounters to speak of, the devs boldly go for option b. the result is an area of long straight walkways with nonagressive eye candy moths and the occasional golem or clam monster that you fight one by one. except for that one bit of crystal platform that you sometimes inexplicably slide off, the area is non-threatening and mostly serves as a pointlessly long run to the boss. thankfully the boss is lovely & easy so you probably won't have to run through the caves a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the hardest part of seath is playing ring around the rosie to get his tail cut. kinda glad they got rid of that mechanic in ds2.