Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sykic posted:

Only if it's Vox doing the voice over, set to footage of him staring at pillars and taking screenshots.

And slamming the RPG for breaking the game in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolguye posted:

bad idea. some cut-aways if something truly funny happens on another heister's screen (such as a cop blasting off and returning to his home planet) are great, but you do not want to make a habit of it. it is disorienting and annoying to someone who is only half paying attention, which is what people will do if they're snuggling in their chair. you want to decide on a 'host' for the LP and stick with his/her view as much as possible to avoid rubber banding people. the pre-planning shots are can and should be organic as possible, with the 'host' playing straight man talking about the plan in great detail with the other 3 drawing insulting pictures of the guy who's talking on the board. might want to avoid dicks, but you could totally draw some pictures comparing vox to a charlie brown teacher while he's sketching out the plan of attack.

I wasn't advocating for some dickhead editing style of cutting between players every 10 seconds, more making the general point that having extra footage from players other than the primary is better than just having one person's PoV.

The way you'd actually go about editing things is pretty organic. Besides the obvious of "funny thing is happening on the screen of non-primary" you can edit based on the beats of the heist itself. Just using Big Bank as an example, it would make sense to have an aside showing the crane jockey's trip up to the roof and getting the pig going, then go back to the extended shootout in the lobby and forget about them for a while. Once the pig's ready, you can maybe very briefly cut back to show them pulling the lever and the start of the pig drop, before going back to the primary watching it drop from inside. Something similar might apply during the vault, where you might very briefly highlight the saw bitch doing their thing, before cutting back to the main action.

Basically, the more distance there is between the heisters or if they're doing simultaneous relevant actions, I would think cutting between them would make things more coherent rather than less. For the other 80% of the time when they're standing back to back and shooting cops, there's no real reason to jump between them, no. In a much simpler heist, like Trustee bank, teams already naturally play musical chairs with cop spawns and there's nowhere near as much ground to cover. Little to no reason to go edit crazy there.

As for the pre-planning-ish stuff, I was again more thinking in terms of continuity, cohesion, and working around some of the boring bits. If you could do them well, little animated heister masks moving around a map can cover for 5 boring minutes of dicking around with bags, help clarify a confusing map layout, or explain what half the team is up to better than random glimpses of their silhouettes would.

Though it also definitely boils down to how well the players can perform and/or direct. I think we're on the same page that a good LP involves way more than recording yourself playing as normal and hoping for the best. (There's already a whole lot of competition in that category anyway.) There's way less need for overly fancy bullshit if you have four players who are savvy enough to cleanly articulate what they're doing just using their voices and the primary player can direct their viewpoint worth a drat, with just a little editing backing that up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tempest_56 posted:

You're vastly misinterpreting what I'm suggesting. I mean like '3 second pause, draw a circle on the screen with a note next to it saying "Remember this power box, we'll be back here in two minutes", then unpause' not 'let's pause here for fifteen minutes and try to describe the science of gunfeel'. When the team's going full bore there's a lot of finer details that zip by REALLY fast because goons have 100+ hours in this poo poo and know where everything is and how it works - but viewers/newbies end up standing there wondering WTF just happened.

same difference. the thing you have to wonder is, what's going on in those 3 seconds otherwise? if it's something more fun (ie, shooting another cop or otherwise advancing the heist) then that's not a great tradeoff and still probably not fun. you can probably get everything said with a quick verbal comment as you're coming up to the thing or going away from the thing, rendering an actual pause unnecessary. if a fine detail goes by so fast that you can't spare a quick comment for something because the host has done it a million times, that's a problem for the host to take to heart to and adjust to so they're more fun to watch, instead of painstakingly fixing crap in post and putting out something that probably interrupts the fun.

John Murdoch posted:

I wasn't advocating for some dickhead editing style of cutting between players every 10 seconds, more making the general point that having extra footage from players other than the primary is better than just having one person's PoV.
tru fax here. worst thing ever is for something hysterical to happen on someone else's screen, the host misses it, and you just have to be like 'OH MAN YOU SHOULD'VE BEEN THERE IT WAS AWESOME'

quote:

The way you'd actually go about editing things is pretty organic. Besides the obvious of "funny thing is happening on the screen of non-primary" you can edit based on the beats of the heist itself. Just using Big Bank as an example, it would make sense to have an aside showing the crane jockey's trip up to the roof and getting the pig going, then go back to the extended shootout in the lobby and forget about them for a while. Once the pig's ready, you can maybe very briefly cut back to show them pulling the lever and the start of the pig drop, before going back to the primary watching it drop from inside. Something similar might apply during the vault, where you might very briefly highlight the saw bitch doing their thing, before cutting back to the main action.
yeah you get this

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I also feel like this game is more interesting to play than to watch. I've recorded a bunch of raw footage for internet points and never watched it myself, but trying to watch other people play, no matter how good they were at the game, wasn't entertaining.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

UnknownMercenary posted:

I also feel like this game is more interesting to play than to watch. I've recorded a bunch of raw footage for internet points and never watched it myself, but trying to watch other people play, no matter how good they were at the game, wasn't entertaining.

Pretty much this. Payday is something fun to play while listening to Viklund's banging tunes.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Personally, I can't really enjoy watching people play games that I'm myself proficient at. I get too nitpicky. That's why I never finished the entire PD: TH LP. I would watch a PD2 LP though, to see how people stealth heists because I'm mostly a loud player.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
can confirm that if anyone does an LP of this game that you can bring me in as the "mediocre pubby" gag guest to show off fail states of heists

I don't know how to get cuffed on hoxbreak day 1 tho, might need to practice that

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tempest_56 posted:

You're vastly misinterpreting what I'm suggesting. I mean like '3 second pause, draw a circle on the screen with a note next to it saying "Remember this power box, we'll be back here in two minutes", then unpause' not 'let's pause here for fifteen minutes and try to describe the science of gunfeel'. When the team's going full bore there's a lot of finer details that zip by REALLY fast because goons have 100+ hours in this poo poo and know where everything is and how it works - but viewers/newbies end up standing there wondering WTF just happened.

That's still going to wreck the pacing completely. Most of the ideas thrown around will make this theoretical LP incredibly boring and uninteresting, although any LP of the game will be without some really fancy editing or amazing banter between the players since there is so much repetitive downtime for a spectator.

Still, this is kind of like criticizing death vox. Sure it looks awful, unfun, and tedious but it's not like it's ever going to get realized.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kikas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPsRPbfUN7U I think I'm gonna enjoy playing around with this mod.

You should.

EDIT: Did someone say HERESY?!

widespread fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 28, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like the Alesso heist, but it takes way too drat long.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Geight posted:

I like the Alesso heist, but it takes way too drat long.

The security hack seems unnecessary.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For Death Vox I have a ton of additional closets to raid and C4 to obtain, with similarly increased tasks and loot later on. Should I cut the hack defense step?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

What a Goon LP always needs is some mushed-mouth nerd who reads off the Wikipedia page while looking at the start screen and the second post in the thread complains you didn't Sandcastle it first.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Plan Z posted:

The security hack seems unnecessary.

Maybe replace the hack with a short-medium length drill to open the door, then once inside you can instantly unlock the closets.

My pet peeve with Alesso is the circle cutters. In theory, you can be all super efficient and split them up, but I've never seen anyone bother, which makes the already kinda dull basement section take even longer. And it can still be a remarkable pain in the rear end to actually get on top of the forklift properly.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Either give us 3 circle cutters or make all vaults have 2 spots for saws. The circle saw spots don't have to correlate to the amount of C4 you stick up there since it blows one big hole anyway.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I've never posted in this thread mainly because I'm convinced I have the worst avatar on the forums, but people talking about the Alesso Heist have me wanting to throw my $0.02 in. First off Alesso shouldn't take longer than 40 minutes, under a half hour if you've got a team (or even just one more person with you). One person stays in casing, playing human camera for the guy masked up who will be collecting the C4 & circle cutters. Once all the C4 is collected both players (one masked & one in casing) will go to & secure the basement, keep at least one person in casing for this next part. The mask will set the C4 while casing makes his way to "the lounge". Once there you'll notice a gaurd blocking the entryway, as soon as the last C4 is set he will walk into the lounge & do a full circle through the DJ booth before changing his path to walk back & forth behind the DJ booth. Sneak in, kill or tie up the DJ & start the show. Then it's just a matter of sneaking back to the basement without being spotted. Everything after that point is easy. On DW the only pagers you really want to use are the 2 guards in the basement. Also when Bain tells you which chute you can use to transport the loot you can take care of the gaurd on either side. Just make sure you avoid all security until basically the end that way you have 2 pagers to do whatever you want with.

It did of course take my friend & I 2 months to complete this in stealth on DW but our time when we finished it (24minutes) was oh so satisfying.

Also if I could get added to the payday2goons group that'd be sweet. Thanks guys.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/actually_dead

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
gently caress stealth.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr Cheeto posted:

gently caress stealth.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

gently caress stealth.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe replace the hack with a short-medium length drill to open the door, then once inside you can instantly unlock the closets.

My pet peeve with Alesso is the circle cutters. In theory, you can be all super efficient and split them up, but I've never seen anyone bother, which makes the already kinda dull basement section take even longer. And it can still be a remarkable pain in the rear end to actually get on top of the forklift properly.

Yeah, this. I quite like Alesso - but the basement sequence and the hack are low points. The basement honestly doesn't get enough cop-flow to have any real challenge, and the hack's just padding. I love the pyro booth sequence, though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's just the RNG. Sometimes the basement has nothing because cop pathing is busted and sometimes it is swarming with cops because the basement door spawns are working properly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr Cheeto posted:

gently caress stealth.

Yeah this

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
"It shouldn't take longer than 40 minutes" is also kind of a weak reply to "the heist takes too long". The sad thing is that stealth and loud feature the same issue - there's a lot of time spent just not doing anything.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dr Cheeto posted:

gently caress stealth.

Thread title for all time.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
opinion: stealth is fun sometimes

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Afraid of Audio posted:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Afraid of Audio posted:

i didn't come here to not click on policemen

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Afraid of Audio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyN4dhJIv8

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
play alesso on deathwish, it's better that way

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Afraid of Audio posted:

You mean like doing Shadowraid for a change of pace every once in a while? It's the only stealthable heist so you don't want to do it too often.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Since we're fancrafting Alesso, here's my revised Death Vox Alesso heist. Your feedback is welcome. Enemy health and damage are generally at Overkill levels. Special units are tweaked to be nastier.

DV Alesso Heist
General:
1. 6 vaults, 36 bags of cash. All required. All four areas spawn. This means, by my calculations, 10 C4 rooms to get to.
2. Three cutters. I’m not a monster.
Stealth:
1. No camera room- offsite camera operator.
2. Changed, worse camera positions. More guards in hallways, but spread across wider areas for more clumping.
3. Basement guards path around the hallways around the C4 area and can sometimes see into it, but do not path through it. Separate guards occupy their "later" positions in the intermediate hallway.
4. Pyro booth guard doesn't path into main booth at all. A second and third civilian will arrive during the show, however, one from the entrance and one from the elevator.
5. Since there are 6 C4 sets, there are also 6 pyro sequence sets. The button hits are in sequence ("left, then right, then middle!"), 4 series per sequence. Equipment breaks (the button task) can occur during a stealth pyro show. Fires will not.
6. Vents have limited capacity- 6 per vent. The vents are sequential, with the last one being one of the ones in the pyro booth.
7. The final de-mask doesn't actually happen. Once you fade to black, Bain tells you that the feds have put the arena on lockdown and are combing the place. You then have to sneak out as black ops and security sweep the halls. Escape is at the entrance, de-mask area is in the upper arena entrance (one of the places the bodybag asset spawns). Going loud means escaping by the chopper location- and a substantial (4 minute) wait.
Loud:
1. No powerbox defense- it’s boring.
2. No zipline. It wasn't very helpful anyways.
3. Cloaker spawns from the vents in the pyro booth.
4. Since there are 6 C4 sets, there are also 6 pyro sequence sets. The button hits are in sequence ("left, then right, then middle!"), 3 sequences per set.
5. Winters spawns partway through the pyro sequence.
6. More fires. The fire extinguisher is gone from the booth- there are several others needed in the heist area, in kitchens and in the basement.
7. More buttons for the equipment break. They sprout up all around the pyro booth.
8. Surprise! One of the vault cutters will cause a Dozer to fall out of the vault when it's removed.
9. Sniper spawns at the hall of fame skylight.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 28, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Since we're fancrafting Alesso,

nobody's doing this

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
my fancrafted alesso is alesso but with one more circular saw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was expecting "Boo this Fauxton"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Afraid of Audio posted:

my fancrafted alesso is alesso but with one more circular saw

10/10 GOTY

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dr Cheeto posted:

10/10 GOTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvvwwCTCA0

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

FAUXTON posted:

I was expecting "Boo this Fauxton"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlOyL0IBxM

Can you believe that was over a year ago?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
"Boo this Fauxton" is pub stealth in a nutshell

"Hey check this out"
*failure cascade*
"What even were you trying to do?!?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fellis posted:

"Boo this Fauxton" is pub stealth in a nutshell

"Hey check this out"
*failure cascade*
"What even were you trying to do?!?"

In my defense, I had previously been able to scoot behind the guard near the gate to get into the yard. That time I either misjudged his distance or got schlonged by netcode. Either way it's a pub mistake :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
When you make it so I can kill thousands of cops in stealth then I'll likely care to do it again. Until then, give me my drill melee option. I want a 10% to kick over a dozer and instantly kill it with a drill to the dome.

Or make Grinder complete by making a high risk/high reward industrial chainsaw weapon.