Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So many people say Under The Skin is good but I couldn't even finish it, which is pretty rare for me and that type of movie is right up my alley. Just found it really dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This may have extremely limited appeal but if even one of you lot watch it then it's a win:

Rebel Scum, the documentary about Knoxville punk(?) band The Dirty Works, which has been mysteriously delayed for almost 10 years, is now out for streaming on YouTube for $4. Here's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKkdhWMqhpI

It's uh... it's something alright. I know I'm biased because people I know are in it (and so am I, briefly :ninja: ) but I wouldn't say these are people that I actually like... endorse. If you like watching hosed up people do stupid poo poo, in the way of Dig! or Jesco White's movies, I think it's worth taking a look at.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hahaha what the gently caress? Knoxville has a great music scene but I'm struggling to think of a venue that would host these idiots. Definitely going to watch this.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There was an entire thread about jump scares on this very subforum!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Parachute posted:

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have any jump scares? Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

It has at least one so I think that list is bullshit.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone made the journey into Hard to Be a God? After reading reviews I am not sure if I want to watch it or run from it. I am afarid with the that running time it will turn into another Inland Empire for me.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

nate fisher posted:

Has anyone made the journey into Hard to Be a God? After reading reviews I am not sure if I want to watch it or run from it. I am afarid with the that running time it will turn into another Inland Empire for me.

I tried to watch it, and it certainly takes a herculean effort to get through it. It's imagery is exceedingly grimy, violent, and depressing. The plot was kind of hard to follow, as I went into it expecting some sci-fi elements but instead walked into an esoteric slog through a very muddy and excrement-laden dark ages story. And it's less of a story and more of an experience, as the storyline is very sparse.

I only made it about an hour in, but kind of want to go back. Give it a shot, but it's definitely not an easy watch.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Doctor Butts posted:

I didn't even know half of the good movies on that list that are leaving, were even on the list.

That's how I always feel. I think it's because I browse the catalog and stream via devices (Roku, PS3, Wii, and LG G4) that suck at showing the catalog. I need to get on my pc and actually add a bunch of movies to my queue. I did that once and found a bunch of 70s horror and exploitation movies that I had no idea were on there otherwise.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The "here's what's coming to ____ next month" pieces tend not to catch all of it either (though I suppose some deals are fairly last minute.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a new joint up on netflix named Macro Polo: One Hundred Eyes, seems pretty self-explanatory and did they steal the entire script from the Mongoliad? :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty sure Macro Polo is really just a rehash of the earlier release of Micro Polo, writ large.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure Macro Polo is really just a rehash of the earlier release of Micro Polo, writ large.

Well done

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

There's a lot to laugh at here, but it annoys me to no end that they cut between two identical camera angles with slightly different focus.

What is this?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wow... that was loving trippy!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Did you know that Netflix not only has a special TV Fireplace special filmed in 4k, they loving had TWO OF THEM THAT FEATURE DIFFERENT TYPES OF WOOD?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

caligulamprey posted:

Did you know that Netflix not only has a special TV Fireplace special filmed in 4k, they loving had TWO OF THEM THAT FEATURE DIFFERENT TYPES OF WOOD?

http://instantwatcher.com/title/80093400

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I can't sleep when I don't have the sound of an oscillating fan in the background. This will actually be perfect for whenever I travel.

In fact Netflix's algorithm says I'll enjoy this program a full five stars.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just watched Coherence on Amazon Prime. It's a very solid entry in the "mindbending sci-fi happens at a dinner party" genre, highly recommended, I'd say it's kinda similar to Time Lapse but a lot better imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time someone mentions Coherence I think they are talking about Compliance.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

Example Short 23.976 or gtfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3EAmdg3xls

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

caligulamprey posted:

But why would you watch a boring fireplace video when instead you can watch Nick Offerman sip whiskey by a Yule log for 45 minutes instead?

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
When I watched Human Centipede 3 with the sound up, I had the window open.
My upstairs neighbor wanted to call the cops- Dieter Laser is that berserk.

I thought the kidney-porking scene was pretty creative, though.

A new low in cinema. You can't scrape the bottom of the barrel when the barrel has no bottom.
I kinda liked it- but I have anti-taste. That's my excuse.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Everyone needs to drop everything and watch Stop Making Sense on Amazon Prime.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Everyone needs to drop everything and watch Stop Making Sense on Amazon Prime.

This is the best advice in all 165 pages of this thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Queen of Earth is weird as hell.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

On it right now!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just found out Netflix is producing a new Christopher Guest mockumentary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mascots_(film)

No Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy for some reason, but most of the recurring cast is there. This makes me very happy.

Hopefully that means they will be adding Waiting for Guffman, a Mighty Wind, Best in Show, and For Your Consideration to the streaming selections this year.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm hoping they do, but the one has nothing to do with the other. The film companies retain the streaming rights to all those movies, and it's up to their negotiations with Netflix whether the movies are there or somewhere else.

Speaking of mascots, Behind the Mask on Hulu is pretty good for a documentary series. Nothing really mindblowing, but some nice stories.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm going to find whoever in this thread that recommended Making a Murderer and punch you. I'm 3 episodes in and so angry I don't think I can take more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it gets worse.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

it gets worse.

It's for people who loved that heartwarming feeling Dear Zachary gave you and you want it stretched out for 12 hours.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

agreed.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NESguerilla posted:

it gets worse.

So, so much worse.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched "The Nightmare" the other day, and while I liked it, I have mixed feelings about it overall.

They did a good job at approximating what sleep paralysis is like in my own experience. On the other hand though, I really didn't care for how at they end they heavily implied that it's a spiritual affliction.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched "The Nightmare" the other day, and while I liked it, I have mixed feelings about it overall.

They did a good job at approximating what sleep paralysis is like in my own experience. On the other hand though, I really didn't care for how at they end they heavily implied that it's a spiritual affliction.

The Nightmare, for better or for worse, tries to be 100% objective without commenting on whether what these people believe is true or not. I feel it works better here than it does in Room 237 because it's more about how these people's experiences have led them to believe what they believe, but it still is a tiny bit annoying with how little it cares about the actual facts and how it sort of goes with certain things without any backup. Like the movie makes a big thing about how it might have a mental contagion aspect despite the fact that out of all the people they talk to only one guy had experienced it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Iron Crowned posted:

Rodney Ascher's whole gimmick is giving mentally ill people enough rope to hang themselves while saying nothing to the contrary. I doubt he thinks sleep paralysis is a spiritual affliction anymore than he thinks The Shining is about Kubrick faking the moon landings or the logo for Screen Gems is the embodiment of evil.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I'm going to find whoever in this thread that recommended Making a Murderer and punch you. I'm 3 episodes in and so angry I don't think I can take more.

Please stay away from the thread for it in TVIV, it will make you much more mad.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Medullah posted:

Episode 4 is when poo poo really hits the fan.

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought the bit with the guy and his hippie girlfriend having a seance in the woods followed up by the woman basically saying "it's all bullshit, your brain is still half-dreaming" kinda put it less on the spiritual side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Episode 4 is when poo poo really hits the fan.

I thought the bit with the guy and his hippie girlfriend having a seance in the woods followed up by the woman basically saying "it's all bullshit, your brain is still half-dreaming" kinda put it less on the spiritual side of things.

I wish she had had more time in the movie.