Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I thought with the last quirk pass the Huggin lost its amazing ROF quirks for SRM4s? I mean if it still works then yeah by all means consider it too, I was just under the impression it got hurt bad so I didn't list it. I am more than happy to be wrong.

It's not AS good as it used to be. It can't poo poo missiles so fast it overheats in a heart beat any more, but when you get used to it it still eats larger mechs fairly easily. The quirks to it's internals help balance it out, I guess. It can still hurt like a son of a bitch when used right. You can't just Rambo into groups anymore, sadly, but anyone off guard is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Right. I meant that it's basically the choice between buying into a very good but also very expensive line in the Stormcrows at a reduced and attractive price or buying a hero mech in an unrelated line for that precious Cbill boost.

Honestly I did look at the Sparky because the Griffin line looks pretty good (especially for SRMing), but the XL engine is kind of unattractive to me. I am nowhere near good enough at shielding or spreading damage yet so the prospect of losing a side torso and thus gettin' blown up is a real one.

I misread and thought you meant the Stormcrows had cbills.

But regarding Sparky and griffons- I ran mine without an XL and it was still excellent. And the thing to consider regarding spreading and side torsos is that the Griffon chassis has basically insane arms with huge rear end shields sticking off it. You don't need to be a huge skilled twister, if you just actively flank (the 2n and 3m do this amazingly) your sides are protected regardless. The 2N benefits from ECM and the 3M benefits from asymmetrics but I never even noticed it.

It's just not a chassis that's really gonna challenge your twist skills.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Devorum posted:

Are Quickdraws good? I never see them.

the 5k and 4g are very good but the iv-four is considered by many to be a terrible mech, basically bottom tier

Bait and Swatch posted:

What did you put on it? I put two AC10s on mine and just run around making boom noises.

E: For anyone who played planetside, my wife, a couple friends and I just teamed with BUzzCutPsycho and his "The Enclave" cronies.

2lb10x, 2ml, 1jj, x290

so loving fun

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Still can't decide between grabbing the champ Stormcrow or some hero mech. Stormcrows own and it's a great cheap buy-in on them but more mechs with bonus c-bills also owns :negative:

There's the steam pack with it but its 30bux. has some MC and premium time tho.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Axetrain posted:

So something like this then ?

Although that's alot of C-Bills for a "free" mech.

Yeah, but with an XL255. Stuff the ammo in the head/legs and that's about right.

If you're short on money, here's a stock-engine version. Slow as rear end, so you'll have to be careful.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Are there still any dual AC20 builds or are those dead?

Are my Jaegers worthless now?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

There's the steam pack with it but its 30bux. has some MC and premium time tho.

Nah I'm not spending real money, I just have 3900 MC leftover and am taking the opportunity to shore up my inventory a bit and want to limit regrets :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Razzled posted:

Ac20 jaeger is still good. Left / right mouse, map something to alpha when you absolutely positively need it dead.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Razzled posted:

They can work. Just remember that you gotta try to keep your existence concealed until you can ruin someone's day. Once they know there's an ac40 fucker they WILL focus you, even there's otherwise no teamwork.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Where is the in house *my honoures* duels video? :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Ah ha. I knew there was something off about the kitfox. Thats pretty simliar to the mediums I've been running though.

If dire wolves are the go-to for dakka, then how are the mist lynxes? I'd need a pair of each.

The mist lynx is one of the worst mechs in the game. It's worse than an urban mech.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Unhappy Meal posted:

Wow, the trial Thunderbolt does work running 3LPLs like that.

LPLs and SRMs are the best weapons in the game, imo. Most efficient for heat management, most efficient for damage output, etc etc.

That Italian Guy posted:

Where is the in house *my honoures* duels video? :colbert:

I'll get started on that now for you. Prepare for 10fps Playstation2-tier graphical video content.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Love Stole the Day posted:

LPLs and SRMs are the best weapons in the game, imo. Most efficient for heat management, most efficient for damage output, etc etc.

Yeah this. I ran 3x LPL and 2 SRM4s on the marauder 5D with a couple token jump jets. I used to run around legging other marauders in it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Update about the Honor Duels inhouse we did:

Turns out that Dxtory reset my microphone audio stream to Speakers and so all of my speech during my recording is gone. God loving damnit.

On the bright side, SchoolBus' recording has everything as well as a few more frames, although he only started recording about halfway through the thing. I'll have to work with that, I guess.

edit-- also turns out that Schoolbus' recording quality is pretty poo poo and the audio is really high pitched for some weird reason. his bitrate was like 10kbps or something. i think i'll just have to use my original recording, but redo all of my audio parts or cut it out so that it's only minimal.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 28, 2015

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pooncha posted:

Yeah, but with an XL255. Stuff the ammo in the head/legs and that's about right.

If you're short on money, here's a stock-engine version. Slow as rear end, so you'll have to be careful.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=242&l=b34894d40390b46752678efc7798cce73a652d5f

Here's what I'm currently running. It's kinda okay I guess? I'm gonna do what you've suggested though and maybe put a 255XL engine in it or I could just put a 275 STD and up those srms to srm 6s and not run any balistics at all. Don't know yet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Should I be dumb and buy the $20 Archer pack? The Archer is a cool-looking robot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Should I be dumb and buy the $20 Archer pack? The Archer is a cool-looking robot.

Downsides to buying it:

Don't get it for months
Doesn't look THAT good
No idea whether or not it will be a good robert

Upsides:

You can Lord it over people that didn't pay for it when it first comes out
More efficient than burning money

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Upsides:

You can Lord it over people that didn't pay for it when it first comes out
More efficient than burning money

I was hoping people would convince me not to make a poor financial decision, but instead, you're making some good arguments for why I should spend the money.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The 9-missile hardpoint Archer (you'll probably only use eight) will likely be fun, but the rest are quirk-dependent

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Pattonesque posted:

The 9-missile hardpoint Archer (you'll probably only use eight) will likely be fun, but the rest are quirk-dependent

Is clan gauss better/different than IS gauss? Some of the top builds on meta mechs have them, but I thought gauss was out of style.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gauss cooldown is super bad and meta mechs isn't meta enough to change up their meta builds to the current meta.

It's always been a bad site, anyway.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is clan gauss better/different than IS gauss? Some of the top builds on meta mechs have them, but I thought gauss was out of style.

Clan gauss is 3 tons lighter, and almost no mechs get quirks. Depending on the quirks, IS gauss can be better than Clan. Only use gauss on IS mechs that are quirked for it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Dual gauss still has a place -- my dual-guass HBK-IIC does work -- but single gauss doesn't hold up. Supposedly gauss cooldown will be slightly reduced soon so this may change, but you really feel that six second (plus charge) cooldown in a pinch

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They all look cool, even if they suck. Don't do it.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
If anyone from GIRL is online invite Etreri please. I'm on for a few hours

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don't have any clan mechs yet, just got back into playing a few rounds here and there. Is the Summoner pretty good? That was my favorite mech in the old games

edit: Sorry lots of questions. Did they ever make the LB10xAC not poo poo?

Razzled fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 28, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Razzled posted:

I don't have any clan mechs yet, just got back into playing a few rounds here and there. Is the Summoner pretty good? That was my favorite mech in the old games

the jump jets are nice, and you can boat streaks or regular SRMs on it, but it's a big target and not tanky enough to really use all those missiles. Timber, EBJ, and Hellbringer are all much better

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Razzled posted:

edit: Sorry lots of questions. Did they ever make the LB10xAC not poo poo?

Summoners are garbage

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Dead Like Rev posted:

Summoners are garbage

A shame to be sure. What should I look at for my first clan mech if my favorite playstyles were the Gauss Ilya Muromets, 3xLL+Gauss Highlander HM and the triple SRM Centurion?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Razzled posted:

A shame to be sure. What should I look at for my first clan mech if my favorite playstyles were the Gauss Ilya Muromets, 3xLL+Gauss Highlander HM and the triple SRM Centurion?

Ebon Jaguar might work? you can do dual-gauss, gauss plus lasers, or srms plus a big ballistic on it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stormcrow, or Timberwolf.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

sebmojo posted:

This

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

sebmojo posted:

True. I'd run a Stormcrow 1st, it is the "Best" robot in the game per ton. Just watch the heat you make with all the death you shoot out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DancingShade posted:

Pubbies are also super easy to just core with lasers and ACs because torso twisting is martian technology. Dump the LRMs.

You still can't beat them for brainless c-bill grinding or farming stockings during the event. I'm watching TV, drinking beer, and picking up an easy 200k per match. It's working for me.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Devorum posted:

Are Quickdraws good? I never see them.

The Quickdraw 5K is actually quite good. I use mine as a sort of a laser striker with 2x LPL and 4x ML on a 310 XL. It's pretty niche but stands up well; it's basically a 60-ton Sparky. The 4G makes a nice LLas boat.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I just picked up a Top Dog since gently caress it, it was one sale and gets me one step closer to Thunderbolt mastery. I used the proceeds from the sale of the free Centurion to swap in double heatsinks and dropped in a 300 standard. I also dropped the large laser and two medium lasers in favor of a large pulse laser; I think it's gonna work out pretty good. Now I need to decide if I'm saving C-Bills for a Thunderbolt 5SS or a Timberwolf S.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The Griffon 2N with 4 SRM 4 and Artemis is a murder machine, and it has bonus ecm. Just shoot poo poo in the knees. People under armor their legs, or stuff them with ammo.

I run an XL 330, the SRMs, 2 med lasers that are rarely used, endo, and 1 or 2 double heatsinks. With speed tweak you hit 104 kph.

The only drawback is you are taller than nearly every other mech. You can almost stare eye to eye with an atlas. I like to think the stature is deserved.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The Griffon 2N with 4 SRM 4 and Artemis is a murder machine, and it has bonus ecm. Just shoot poo poo in the knees. People under armor their legs, or stuff them with ammo.

I run an XL 330, the SRMs, 2 med lasers that are rarely used, endo, and 1 or 2 double heatsinks. With speed tweak you hit 104 kph.

The only drawback is you are taller than nearly every other mech. You can almost stare eye to eye with an atlas. I like to think the stature is deserved.

the weird thing about the Griffin's stature is that it feels like a lot of it is taken up by the already-massive shield arms, so it's almost a bonus?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I actually think the 3M is a little better since it has a bunch of extra structure and missile quirks. Plus, all the missiles on one side let you run a STD engine and shield the hell out of that side. ECM is cool too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

novaSphere posted:

I actually think the 3M is a little better since it has a bunch of extra structure and missile quirks. Plus, all the missiles on one side let you run a STD engine and shield the hell out of that side. ECM is cool too, though.

the shield arms are so big and the twist rate/structure bonuses are so high that you can get away with an XL

I run (roughly) this and go about 3/1 K/D in it, and most deaths come when I'm out of ammo or drat close to it:

GRF-3M

• Locked thread