Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Coup is easily the most played game in my group. Weekly game nights will usually have three games, one of them is always a dozen hands of Coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My family is insufferable and will only play One Night Werewolf over and over again while they drink. Can anyone suggest some balanced and varied setups for 6 players? I have all the expansions. I just want some godsdamn variety.

I feel like the game lacks good guidance on setups.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

jmzero posted:

Has anyone tried M.U.LE.? I loved the video game when I was a kid, and the theme is certainly doable as a board game, but I'd rather not buy complete garbage.

Sadly, it's complete garbage. Random events can gently caress over the entire game for someone in a single turn, and there is no catchup mechanism in place to mitigate it. One of your actions is seriously to take a 30% chance to get money, otherwise you've wasted food and half of your turn. The rulebook devotes like 2 pages of optional rules that basically scream "we have no idea what's fun or balanced in this game, so you figure it out!" It really surprised me that a strategy game could be so awful in 2015.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kiranamos posted:

Sadly, it's complete garbage. Random events can gently caress over the entire game for someone in a single turn, and there is no catchup mechanism in place to mitigate it. One of your actions is seriously to take a 30% chance to get money, otherwise you've wasted food and half of your turn. The rulebook devotes like 2 pages of optional rules that basically scream "we have no idea what's fun or balanced in this game, so you figure it out!" It really surprised me that a strategy game could be so awful in 2015.

Just watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaBDzp4T7g on repeat instead. :3:

I didn't hate the board game as much as Kiranamos did but that may have just been me playing with awesome people, I pretty much agree with everything he said.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just how anime is Argent? I'm looking for a thematically anime worker placement game similar to Tragedy Looper or Puzzle Strike.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

Just watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaBDzp4T7g on repeat instead. :3:

I didn't hate the board game as much as Kiranamos did but that may have just been me playing with awesome people, I pretty much agree with everything he said.

The MULE theme is absolutely the best part about the game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

The MULE theme is absolutely the best part about the game.

I never played the videogame and it's still obviously true. I kinda want that to be my ringtone?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Sadly, it's complete garbage.

Ah, too bad - but thanks for the convincing review.

Tried Diamonsters. Very simple simultaneous card selection game that starts with identical hands and has a couple small wrinkles. Plays well with a 7 year old (in fact, he won 2/3 games against me and the wife). But I can't imagine playing it with adults for long.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Offworld Trading Company is a great modern adaptation of MULE. Unfortunately it's a computer game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Chill la Chill posted:

Just how anime is Argent? I'm looking for a thematically anime worker placement game similar to Tragedy Looper or Puzzle Strike.

Anime enough. The art is inspired by anime, but it's only anime~esque.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OmegaGoo posted:

Anime enough. The art is inspired by anime, but it's only anime~esque.

Thanks. It might have to do. Imagine how cool it'd be to have an anime Caverna or space alert. :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brought Dominion along for xmas, expecting to just get my brother into it. Surprisingly my 11 year old nephew got super into it and was mauling us all with horrifying engines from his first game.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That MULE theme made me nostalg real hard.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Played Boss Monster for the first time this weekend. Was expecting complete garbage wherein the only content was "HEY REMEMBER BIDEO GAMES?!?!?!?" But was pleasantly surprised to find like 90% of a pretty good game.

Are the expansions worth picking up?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

Played Boss Monster for the first time this weekend. Was expecting complete garbage wherein the only content was "HEY REMEMBER BIDEO GAMES?!?!?!?" But was pleasantly surprised to find like 90% of a pretty good game.

Are the expansions worth picking up?

What did you find good about it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Codenames was a rotund failure for my group.

They didn't understand the point of the game, they kept doing safe one word guesses and kept wanting to play Sushi Go instead of it. I also found that the English version plays better, my other group played in English and we had a blast but we are all fluent in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got a spymaster who did Blahblah:1 for the whole game and only won because the opposing spymaster was a non-native english speaker with a heavy accent.

"Paris?" "No! Paris!" "Yeah, Paris!" "No, like Jekspar" "What!?"
He meant Pirates.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SynthOrange posted:

Got a spymaster who did Blahblah:1 for the whole game and only won because the opposing spymaster was a non-native english speaker with a heavy accent.

"Paris?" "No! Paris!" "Yeah, Paris!" "No, like Jekspar" "What!?"
He meant Pirates.

You can ask the spymaster to spell the word.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's weird because they love Sushi Go and The Resistance but they didn't like Skull or Codenames.

They also love CAH.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine how cool it'd be to have an anime Caverna or space alert. :unsmith:

Anime Space Alert exists!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Azran posted:

It's weird because they love Sushi Go and The Resistance but they didn't like Skull or Codenames.

They also love CAH.

Sever.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sockser posted:

Congratulations on drawing a draw engine room in your opening hand. Not all of us have that luxury.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "thematically anime." If you mean "the art looks anime-ish I guess" then yes, if you mean "it's a worker placement game where you're competing to build the biggest underage catgirl maid harem something something uguu" then no, there's nothing especially anime about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

I never played the videogame and it's still obviously true. I kinda want that to be my ringtone?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Codenames was weird last time I tried it. It went down well, but I don't think we went a round without the spymaster reading the board wrong or something. Turns out the fun gets sucked out of the round pretty quickly if the spymaster suddenly says "Wait, poo poo" mid-debate. :bang:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Codenames was weird last time I tried it. It went down well, but I don't think we went a round without the spymaster reading the board wrong or something. Turns out the fun gets sucked out of the round pretty quickly if the spymaster suddenly says "Wait, poo poo" mid-debate. :bang:

For being a fairly simple game Codenames really requires you to be on the ball about stuff. Tell your spymaster to get gud.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Yeah we had a game of Codenames with colleagues when one spymaster indeed went "oh, gently caress" in the middle of his team discussing. I reminded him to keep a pokerface or forfait the game (wasn't his first offense). His team chose the assassin as their first guess.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

I have no idea what you mean by "thematically anime." If you mean "the art looks anime-ish I guess" then yes, if you mean "it's a worker placement game where you're competing to build the biggest underage catgirl maid harem something something uguu" then no, there's nothing especially anime about it.

Oh drat was looking for the latter but the theme seemed to be anime enough. I thought it was about a bunch of high school Harry Potter wizards? That's p anime.

Really what I want is Caverna but you're scavenging for robot parts for your colony's giant Gundam robot. You attack the earth during missions and the animals are like factory machines idk how gundams are built.

Ooh looks neat.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

theroachman posted:

Yeah we had a game of Codenames with colleagues when one spymaster indeed went "oh, gently caress" in the middle of his team discussing. I reminded him to keep a pokerface or forfait the game (wasn't his first offense). His team chose the assassin as their first guess.

We had this and rolled with it. We went on a 3 guess streak to win the game. It owned

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Final Attack is a also goon-created game, isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jinkeez posted:

Final Attack is a also goon-created game, isn't it?

Yep, Broken Loose is responsible for it. It failed at Kickstarter back in February.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh drat was looking for the latter but the theme seemed to be anime enough. I thought it was about a bunch of high school Harry Potter wizards? That's p anime.

Really what I want is Caverna but you're scavenging for robot parts for your colony's giant Gundam robot. You attack the earth during missions and the animals are like factory machines idk how gundams are built.

I mean you could just reskin Argent to be literally Harry Potter Faculty Rumble and it would still be the same game, there's nothing really about the stuff you're accomplishing in the game that wouldn't work exactly the same if it were illustrated by, I dunno, Larry Elmore or something. It does not "feel" like an anime, whatever that means in this context that I'm still not sure I understand.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jedit posted:

Yep, Broken Loose is responsible for it. It failed at Kickstarter back in February.

More like ragequit a kickstarter.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Oh do tell. :allears:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Kickstarter had a few days left and it only had 14k out of 20k, so instead of risking squeezing over the edge and produce a lacklustre product, BL stopped the Kickstarter instead. There was no rage involved.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I played a game of Final Attack! with Gutter Owl and one other goon (sorry I don't remember your name) at GenCon this past year, and had a good time. It would be nice to see the final form, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The people I play games with the most IRL do not like Space Alert. I had planned to PnP Final Attack, but that now seems like a lot of effort for something that might fizzle. If I recall, they're different enough that they might like it, but :effort:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'm pretty sure BL's goal was to make a board game that'd be impossible to recreate in video game format, so there were lots of things like "You must point at the person you're talking to" or "hold onto the box at all times" and etc effects. Not to mention the game was realtime. It'd be like trying to PBP Space Alert.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

What did you find good about it?

The rampup is a bit weird but the final two rounds or so when you have to balance attracting adventurers to your dungeon so you can get to 10 but also try to keep other adventurers from going to someone else to keep them from winning was pretty fun. Maybe it was just my group?

It does definitely benefit the front runner and the first person to build a meat grinder has a real high chance of winning but I still quite enjoyed the mechanics.

Or is this one of those games like Munchkin where the third time I play it and everyone understands the rules it's suddenly the worst loving game ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

SynthOrange posted:

I hate when the Spymaster plays too safely, but some boards are really hard too come up with links for.

Though playing with my parents, I was able to use the clue "PE:5" (perhaps a stretch of the rules, but no one objected), and they got four of my five; parachute, yard, school, and gym, only missing "train". That was a hard guessing round to keep impassive during.