Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
This guy's prediction on Star Wars pretty much came true.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=111

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Filthy Casual posted:

Needs an Iroh, but unfortunately murdered his best shot at it.

Iroh is Zuko's bearded super powerful but self-exiled uncle. Fortunately that exact same character is introduced at the end of this movie.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Randomzx posted:

This guy's prediction on Star Wars pretty much came true.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=111

This post is a joke, right? (No, I'm not talking about the blog)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Gorelab posted:

Something like that yeah. I think they could easily make having more than one of the main characters being jedi pretty interesting. Just have Rey more traditional and powerful with the force and Finn more unorthodox and having to basically improvise. With Rey almost certainly being related to Luke by blood I'd love some sign that the Force isn't the most nepotistic mystical power ever.

They kinda hint at Finn and Rey being a romance thing and it'd be a great gently caress you to the prequels' Jedi order if the heroes are a Jedi power couple. gently caress you, attachment to other people owns, Yoda you green lil poo poo.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bad Moon posted:

Dupre: Haunts Serpent Isle
Shimino: Escapes the Realm of Souls
Iolo: Goes home to his wife Gwenno to retire

well technically the avatar merges with the guardian and ascends to a higher plane of existence but most people never got that far because IX was a crashy piece of poo poo game

oh. oh no. oh god. i'm an old nerd.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well technically the avatar merges with the guardian and ascends to a higher plane of existence but most people never got that far because IX was a crashy piece of poo poo game

oh. oh no. oh god. i'm an old nerd.

Trap sprung, Old Nerd. Now rejoice, we can be happy a once murdered franchise is alive again and good agan and maybe someday Ultima will be back too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's important to remember that in the original trilogy Ben Kenobi and Yoda are lying assholes who try to trick Luke into training to murder his dad and tell him not to have friends.

I like that Rey and Finn are friends just that friends. It's better.

So I hope Lukes advice in the next film is " Make a bunch of friends, I'm your dad, you can totally redeem Kylo Ren now let me train you to be a jedi."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, gently caress the jedi. I want Rey and Finn banging by the next movie because it means that Luke (or Rey) is ditching the stupid jedi traditions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, gently caress the jedi. I want Rey and Finn banging by the next movie because it means that Luke (or Rey) is ditching the stupid jedi traditions.

In the old EU, that would be called "pulling a Bindo" after that old Jedi in KoTOR on the Wookie planet who you can take as a party member. It's probably also meant to sound dirty.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Iroh is Zuko's bearded super powerful but self-exiled uncle. Fortunately that exact same character is introduced at the end of this movie.

I am so on board for this idea. It'd be sweet if he fit the Yoda archetype, maybe let out a faint Joker laugh once or twice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

I hope not, no one with force ability is allowed to be funny, it's the law. I'd rather Finn get to continue being fun.

I dunno, prequel obiwan had a pretty good sense of humor. Especially in the clone wars animated series.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It's important to remember that in the original trilogy Ben Kenobi and Yoda are lying assholes who try to trick Luke into training to murder his dad and tell him not to have friends.

I like that Rey and Finn are friends just that friends. It's better.

So I hope Lukes advice in the next film is " Make a bunch of friends, I'm your dad, you can totally redeem Kylo Ren now let me train you to be a jedi."

Maybe Luke will have a change of heart. Maybe the reason Kylo turned to the dark side is because Luke didn't let him get close at the academy ("I told you not to call me uncle you stupid little poo poo, I am your MASTER!") and Kylo gathered a bunch of his buddies and went postal.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I find the quest to find plot holes in TFA to be somewhat odd given how many silly little tidbits and retcons there clearly are in the OT.

I mean obviously Lucas never thought about the whole "Luke is Vader's son" thing during the writing of ANH, and Leia being Luke's twin is clearly shoehorned in ROTJ through the exposition of a force ghost. And really hiding Luke on some desolate planet is a good plan but how about changing his last name to something other than Skywalker? Vader obviously had no notion that Leia was his daughter when they first met, he wouldn't have known about Luke either had they just named him anything other than Skywalker... and wouldn't Vader think about looking for his long lost son with his last living relatives?

Each of the star wars movies, all seven of them, has very stupid plot details that make very little sense and require a considerable amount of hand waving to explain; it's fortunate though that at least 4 Star Wars movies are really super fun to watch and manage to produce epic and memorable moments even when much of the plot is very silly.

Vader thought his children died with Padme. Remember, this is before the force became an overpowered mess thanks to video games and EU trash, so Vader wouldn't have a clue about Leia and Luke. Vader only realizes Leia is Luke's sister in Jedi because Luke is thinking about her and Vader can sense it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Vader thought his children died with Padme. Remember, this is before the force became an overpowered mess thanks to video games and EU trash, so Vader wouldn't have a clue about Leia and Luke. Vader only realizes Leia is Luke's sister in Jedi because Luke is thinking about her and Vader can sense it.

"Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... sister. So, you have a twin sister. And... You kissed her??? What the gently caress is wrong with you dude?!"

*Vader starts vomiting profusely into his helmet, giving Luke the chance to ambush him from the shadows!*

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I finally watched the film and just made me laugh how incompetent the First Order is. I love it.

A+ film, will watch again, excited for the new stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure how they are incompetent. They built a planet-sized super weapon capable of destroying multiple planets from across the galaxy, and managed to use it on New Republic.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

A planet full of dudes couldn't fight off however many x-wings (didn't look like more than 40?) and they built another single load bearing structure for their weapon. It just felt like the Republic was thrown in the movie for sole reason to be destroyed and had no weight on the story. Still loved the film, First Order still remain funny and not really scary bad guys.

More Resistance stuff though, Poe fuckin owns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spudd posted:

A planet full of dudes couldn't fight off however many x-wings (didn't look like more than 40?) and they built another single load bearing structure for their weapon. It just felt like the Republic was thrown in the movie for sole reason to be destroyed and had no weight on the story. Still loved the film, First Order still remain funny and not really scary bad guys.

More Resistance stuff though, Poe fuckin owns

Starkiller Base is actually smaller than the Death Star. It's an entire planet but it isn't an entire planet's worth of people while the Death Star was a literal moon-sized battle station. The Death Star couldn't fend off the attacks of a group of X-Wings without internal sabotage by a traitor.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Starkiller Base is actually smaller than the Death Star. It's an entire planet but it isn't an entire planet's worth of people while the Death Star was a literal moon-sized battle station. The Death Star couldn't fend off the attacks of a group of X-Wings without internal sabotage by a traitor.

So the Rebellion/Resistance are just the best drat pilots in the universe?

It might seem like I am making GBS threads on the film but I feel like I need to reinforce that I really liked it. Now I am just stoked for the next film to see what happens.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spudd posted:

So the Rebellion/Resistance are just the best drat pilots in the universe?

On average they are far better pilots than their Empire counterparts, yes. And because there's fewer of them, they have much better squadron cohesion. In contrast, TIE fighter pilots are treated as disposable (since there's so many of them).

Also note that the final battle was going very badly for the Resistance pilots until Poe noticed the structural breach created by the internal detonations and managed to slip through to finish the job.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 28, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

On average they are far better pilots than their Empire counterparts, yes. And because there's fewer of them, they have much better squadron cohesion. In contrast, TIE fighter pilots are treated as disposable (since there's so many of them).

Yeah I got that, I just thought they were going to throw everyone at them since they don't care about their troopers but when the planets exploding you can dudes escaping on left over Tie Fighters. I think I'm thinking too much about a kids movie... I'm an adult now, I don't like being like this for Star Wars.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 28, 2015

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Acaila posted:

"I know you've seen the map. It's in there. And now you'll give it to me"
Ummm.....sounds like a command with the expectation that it'll be followed to me.

I watched this again and this scene is framed more like "I was just probing your mind and I know the info is in there so I am going to probe your mind some more to get the precise info" as opposed to "I am mind tricking you."

Incidentally did Leia have a line that's like "The Republic Fleet was destroyed, they're sitting ducks." since I swear I heard it the first time I watched but I don't remember it the second time.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 28, 2015

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

enraged_camel posted:

Not sure how they are incompetent. They built a planet-sized super weapon capable of destroying multiple planets from across the galaxy, and managed to use it on New Republic.
And they managed to keep it secret right up until that.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So was the entire senate killed? Looks like the Republic might actually be dead. Especially if their entire fleet was also wiped out and the only military they have left was an illegal PMC they were funding under the table which only had like, ~30 X-wings to spare to a critical battle.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So was the entire senate killed? Looks like the Republic might actually be dead. Especially if their entire fleet was also wiped out and the only military they have left was an illegal PMC they were funding under the table which only had like, ~30 X-wings to spare to a critical battle.

I felt like the movie failed to set up the stakes at play for Ep VIII. We don't really get to see what's going to happen next - did the First Order inflict a deathblow to the Republic? Did the Resistance the same on the Order? What's the aftermath? The movie could've ended with multiple cliffhangers, instead of having only Rey meet with Luke.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Kurzon posted:

And they managed to keep it secret right up until that.

Is it stated in the movie that no one knew where/if the Death Planet existed?

EDIT: like I knew Fin played a major part in telling the Resistance where its weaknesses were but they seemed to have known it existed prior to his arrival.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Spudd posted:

Is it stated in the movie that no one knew where/if the Death Planet existed?

EDIT: like I knew Fin played a major part in telling the Resistance where its weaknesses were but they seemed to have known it existed prior to his arrival.

If the Aftermath book is any indication, odds are that it's some planet they hid around while they started to rebuild. At the end of that book, we're introduced to some yet-unnamed Fleet Admiral with a Super Star Destroyer in his command, and everyone presumed this mystery man dead. So there are elements to the First Order, from the very outset, that not even other remnants of the former Empire are aware of.

Canemacar posted:

2: Kylo is easily one of the most interesting new characters. They knew they couldn't one-up Vader, so making his character a wanna living in the shadow was the best way to play it. I agree with everyone who felt that he's essentially Anakin done right: an arrogant, insecure douche who thinks taking the quick, easy path to power will make up for everything. I don't really see a redemption arc in his future though. He's already slaughtered his classmates, a village of civilians, and killed one of the most beloved characters in the series in a very personal betrayal. 99% of the audience probably has a "gently caress that guy" mentality towards him.

I agree 100% with this. I'm just surprised at how many people I've talked to, or comments I've read, not digging Kylo, even though he's the most dangerous kind of villain - insecure and sinister ambition that makes him too impulsive for his own good. So yeah, in other words as you put it, Anakin done right this time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

So what's the awakening that happens anyway? It's the title of the drat movie but what did the force do? Is it just that Rey is able to use it? Was it gone? Movie doesn't explain poo poo.

In general I got the feeling from this film more like the OT where the force is ancient history a lot of people don't even think exists. Like how Han has to stop to point out that the force/jedi are real to Rey and Finn.

The returning OT trio, Snoke, Ren and whoever works directly with him understand that the force is a thing and Luke/Ren/Snoke are as far as we know the only characters left that are deep into it in the galaxy. The only other character that knows anything about the force is Maz, but she's specifically 1,000 years old and a friend of Han and probably Luke too.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Watching it a 2nd time I started thinking about what the story would be like if the end of this trilogy is a proliferation of Jedi (or more realistically just force users) a la Dune. Like you can't stop the big bads from hunting down and trying to destroy the handful left so attempt balance by the law of large numbers and ingrain the force into everyday life across the galaxy.

Of course this was like at least a 4 book arch in Dune, so it's never going to happen in SW....

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Canemacar posted:

2: Kylo is easily one of the most interesting new characters. They knew they couldn't one-up Vader, so making his character a wanna living in the shadow was the best way to play it. I agree with everyone who felt that he's essentially Anakin done right: an arrogant, insecure douche who thinks taking the quick, easy path to power will make up for everything. I don't really see a redemption arc in his future though. He's already slaughtered his classmates, a village of civilians, and killed one of the most beloved characters in the series in a very personal betrayal. 99% of the audience probably has a "gently caress that guy" mentality towards him.

I watched it for the 2nd time last night and all I could think about was how much of a better Anakin Kylo Ren is. That should've been what we got from the PT Anakin, not whatever he was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Force IS the Midichlorian, the Midichlorian IS the Force!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

Father, the Force has awakened!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Neo Rasa posted:

That's not how the force works!

enraged_camel posted:

That reminds me, I kept hoping to see other TIE pilots (or X-wing pilots) ejecting after seeing Finn do it. It would have been a really nice touch.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That reminds me, I kept hoping to see other TIE pilots (or X-wing pilots) ejecting after seeing Finn do it. It would have been a really nice touch.

That's only on the deluxe models.

Come to think of it, the advanced TIEs the FO uses is another sign of how hosed up/weak they are - the Empire had at least 2 other cooler, sleeker designs for their better pilots, while the order bolts on a couple of (admittedly nifty) extra features onto the base model and paints on a go-faster stripe.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's not how the force works!

The Harrison Fordiest moment in the movie

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Krowley posted:

He expended more emotional energy in delivering that line and the next than he did in the entirety of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

It's kind of funny how the thread seems to be split between people who think Ford did a smashingly good job and those who think he phoned it in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's kind of funny how the thread seems to be split between people who think Ford did a smashingly good job and those who think he phoned it in.
I don't think his performance was anything special, but we've seen what Harrison Ford phoning it in looks like many, many times. He at least wanted to be in this film and made an effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I can understand thinking it wasn't his best performance but this was the first role in like a decade from Harrison Ford that it didn't feel like he was there for a paycheck and wanted to get off set as fast as possible.

Possibly because he knew he'd never have to come back after this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I thought we saw that in the TIE fight with the Falcon. Finn disables one of those TIEs and I swear the pilot ejects, with all the Jakku scavengers flocking to the crash site. The other one doesn't get the chance to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Krowley posted:

Nope. "Yes I do! Every time. "

• Locked thread