Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
RE: Sonic R and "Why didn't they just make Super Mario Kart?" They did. Sonic Drift and Sonic Drift 2 for the Game Gear, both which came out before Sonic R.
Incidentally, Mario Kart 64 came out before Sonic R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Air is lava! posted:

Besides that, they mostly did licensed showelware. They also made an agressively mediocre, but still fun 3d action platformer called "Haven, Call of the king". That obscure game will forever stay in my memory because it has the worst ending of any game I have ever played. It's not quite "next life"-bad, but "you think you won? Well how about I kick you in the balls and laugh at you instead."-bad.
I really want to see someone LP that stupid game one day.

What variety of horrible ending are we talking here? "Your Wife is your arm" bad, or "Good job you are the victory now please hard mode to true battle'?

Christ, that new Bionic Commando game was such a mess. Such high hopes from the first boss and then... nope.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 28, 2015

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I just wanted to let you know you guys are great. That's all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Section Z posted:

What variety of horrible ending are we talking here? "Your Wife is your arm" bad, or "Good job you are the victory now please hard mode to true battle'?

Your only friend betrays you. This delivers a prince, who is the last hope for humanity into the hands of the evil emperor. You catch up to them, only to see the prince die. After an annoying QTE-battle, the emperor notices that he can't really harm you. So he just grabs you, chains you to a rock and let's you succumb to a poison.
Zoom out with dramatic voices, credits.

Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHCdc4XEXA&t=1800s

There actually is an insanely complicated and tedious way to 100% this game to get one extra scene. But that is just a text which amounts to "congrats on getting 100%. If you have questions send us an email to be continued".
gently caress that game!

I kinda want someone to LP that mess now. In fact I requested that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 28, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I really, really needed the laugh that came from Snake breaking his neck on the stairs. It was just as hard as the ones coming out of you two.

Also it's a shame you didn't try for a Xmas special...I know The Perfect Game you could have played for that...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Air is lava! posted:

Your only friend betrays you. This delivers a prince, who is the last hope for humanity into the hands of the evil emperor. You catch up to them, only to see the prince die. After an annoying QTE-battle, the emperor notices that he can't really harm you. So he just grabs you, chains you to a rock and let's you succumb to a poison.
Zoom out with dramatic voices, credits.

Oh, the "railroaded to death by the GM because success doesn't fit his dramatic vision" ending.

Yeah, that's it's own special brand of annoying. As hilarious as the final boss going "gently caress this bullshit" in regards to fighting YOU is.

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Choco1980 posted:

I really, really needed the laugh that came from Snake breaking his neck on the stairs. It was just as hard as the ones coming out of you two.

Also it's a shame you didn't try for a Xmas special...I know The Perfect Game you could have played for that...

We were TOTALLY going to do a Christmas special, we even talked a little about it. Since Dan HATES Christmas, and I love it, it would have been great comedy. But we couldn't think of any games and the only day we could have recorded it was the day I was sick and we only recorded one episode so it didn't happen :(

Also now the fact that this exists makes me so mad time didn't work out for us to do it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There's still time to make a Christmas Special in time for Eastern Orthodox Christmas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not to run it in, but over at the fan games thread, they started on xmas doing the sequel, which seems far more involved than the original game. I guess they're Goon-Made too. Surprisingly good voice work.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Not to run it in, but over at the fan games thread, they started on xmas doing the sequel, which seems far more involved than the original game. I guess they're Goon-Made too. Surprisingly good voice work.
Surprisingly little gameplay judging by the first videos stop every 5 steps for Codec. Even MGS proper isn't that bad! :arghfist:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Episode 1 - Limes and Coconuts

Peace Walker! Due to technical issues forcing us to start over, and another project we were working on, both of us are a bit drunker than we normally are when we start out.

This episode is almost entirely cutscenes and single player, but we got it all out of the way at once, meaning Episode 2 is when Grace joins in! :v:

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
One thing I've learned about Metal Gear (from Peace Walker, in particular) is that the more we learn about a mysterious and cool character, the lamer they get.

I, for one, hope the Pain remains a character that boils down to "I'M COVERED IN BEES!!" in perpetuity. Expanding on that is what aggressively non-canonical fan fiction is for.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jeedy Jay posted:

One thing I've learned about Metal Gear (from Peace Walker, in particular) is that the more we learn about a mysterious and cool character, the lamer they get.

I, for one, hope the Pain remains a character that boils down to "I'M COVERED IN BEES!!" in perpetuity. Expanding on that is what aggressively non-canonical fan fiction is for.

I don't think they ever say anything more about him so don't worry about that. Regarding Peace Walker, you probably already know this but the game isn't over after the first set of credits roll (not to mention the fact that Ground Zeroes picks up where this game's second ending left off).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danaru posted:

Peace Walker! Due to technical issues forcing us to start over, and another project we were working on, both of us are a bit drunker than we normally are when we start out.

This episode is almost entirely cutscenes and single player, but we got it all out of the way at once, meaning Episode 2 is when Grace joins in! :v:

Here comes the next 10 years of this LP! :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Grace was probably thinking of Puerto Rico.

And yeah I cannot wait for some of the later poo poo the game throws at you guys :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

We're officially in blind territory for me, so I'm excited. I've always been into this game's storyline because it's interesting political intrigue based on real life totally mixed up with some of the craziest what the hell things in all of video games.

Speaking of story, I took a glance at Kaz's origin, and apparently met in-between Portable Ops and this game on the battlefield. I guess it's talked about in Ground Zeroes.

Also Grace, I too always thought Costa Rica was an island for some reason. My mind, she is blown.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will both of you drink whenever one of the conditions is met or will Grace screw up intentionally to get Dan all liquored up?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

White Coke posted:

Will both of you drink whenever one of the conditions is met or will Grace screw up intentionally to get Dan all liquored up?

There aren't any conditions for Peace Walker specifically for that reason :v: Also because Grace is a wuss who refuses to try beer

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Danaru posted:

There aren't any conditions for Peace Walker specifically for that reason :v:

Will you drink twice as much for the next game in compensation?

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Choco1980 posted:

Also Grace, I too always thought Costa Rica was an island for some reason. My mind, she is blown.

I know right, it always just... seemed like something that was an island.

White Coke posted:

Will you drink twice as much for the next game in compensation?

+1 vote for him to do that

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You're 100% right about MGS2 Substance, at least in my opinion. It's just boring as hell to watch. It seems like a dull, tedious game. I wouldn't watch anyone LP that. But I'm happy to return now that you're on Peacewalker!

Grace posted:

I know right, it always just... seemed like something that was an island.

I'm gonna invite myself to guest on this LP, and then just sit quietly in the background until you need geography facts, when I will reemerge to defy the ignorant American stereotype and tell you which countries are islands.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Danaru posted:

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Danaru posted:

*Posts first Peace Walker video*

The Chris-Grace ratio in this video is outta control.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

gregory posted:

The Chris-Grace ratio in this video is outta control.

Part of me feels like I still need to call Chris "Grace", the other part of me doesn't really know why anymore.

:allears::allears::allears: Oh my god this is perfect

Seriously, google it, Che Guevara was a complete loving rear end in a top hat and is not at all worth celebrating. I didn't mention it on episode but he was also super sexist and anti-semetic, so gently caress that guy. Big Boss is more of a rebel than he could ever be :colbert:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

Part of me feels like I still need to call Chris "Grace", the other part of me doesn't really know why anymore.

:allears::allears::allears: Oh my god this is perfect

Seriously, google it, Che Guevara was a complete loving rear end in a top hat and is not at all worth celebrating. I didn't mention it on episode but he was also super sexist and anti-semetic, so gently caress that guy. Big Boss is more of a rebel than he could ever be :colbert:

I've wanted to say it since that picture went up in the cosplay thread, but I feel safe saying it here.

That's the best Mr Hanky cosplay I've ever seen.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Danaru posted:

Che Guevara was a complete loving rear end in a top hat and is not at all worth celebrating. I didn't mention it on episode but he was also super sexist and anti-semetic, so gently caress that guy.

Andrew Jackson is another complete rear end in a top hat who gets an undue amount of praise. And just like Che Guevara would hate that his image is used by capitalists to make poo poo loads of money, Andrew Jackson would hate that his image is on the most used denomination of paper currency. There's something satisfying about historical monsters getting memorialized by the things they hated. I wonder if there's a kosher deli that uses Hitler as part of their logo.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

White Coke posted:

Andrew Jackson is another complete rear end in a top hat who gets an undue amount of praise. And just like Che Guevara would hate that his image is used by capitalists to make poo poo loads of money, Andrew Jackson would hate that his image is on the most used denomination of paper currency. There's something satisfying about historical monsters getting memorialized by the things they hated. I wonder if there's a kosher deli that uses Hitler as part of their logo.

Oh my god, I never realized the irony behind the central bank of the United States throwing Old Hickory on the most used bill in circulation. Dude loving hated the concept of a centralized banking system.

Also, Danaru, as a 100% heterosexual male I have to concur with you on Kaz vs Ocelot. I'm secure enough to recognize a ridiculously handsome man when I see it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Episode 2 - Co-ops

It's easy to forget that the two of us CAN work together when we actually want to.

Also can you tell neither of us speak Spanish

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just looked up what Calorie Mate is in Japanese and it's カロリーメイト, Karorīmeito. So it's mate as in friend, not mah-tay.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dabir posted:

Just looked up what Calorie Mate is in Japanese and it's カロリーメイト, Karorīmeito. So it's mate as in friend, not mah-tay.

This Mate is a South American tea, actually :v: I don't think Calorie Mates are in Peace Walker

Danaru fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 4, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shows how much attention I was paying then :v:.Well now you know about Calorie Mate anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would drink a Calorie Mate Mate. Especially if it was the chocolate flavored ones.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Chico actually is closer to "Kid" than "Boy" in spanish.

There are still some places in South America that look at Che Guevara in a very romantic way, as a guy who kept fighting against imperialism even to the end of his life. So it makes sense that he's compared to Big Boss, the mercenary who says he just wants to build a place for soldiers, but somehow ends up building a METAL GEAR!

I haven't seen this movie, but I heard it's pretty good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motorcycle_Diaries_%28film%29

And yeah, we do pronounce CIA as "Cía". Because a)it's easier phonetically and b)I remember reading that CIA agents in Latin America said that they worked for "The Company" or "La Compañía" a.k.a. "Cía."

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

This LP is already a gift :3:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Congratulations Pinkie-chan. :allears:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I cannot wait for bossfights :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If you want to spice up Substance-like videos why not replace all the sounds the guards make as they're getting shot and fall down stairs or whatever with the various screams and cries that Grace makes when she takes a drink.

Krysmphoenix posted:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Not only are there blond haired, blue eyed hispanic people there are Hispanic people who come from many diverse backgrounds such as this former President of Peru: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Fujimori

I don't expect any better from Grace since those of us from the US are all terribly racist, but Dan's Canadian. There's a higher standard he has to live up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Jurassic Park books and movies take place on islands in Costa Rica. Maybe that's why Grace was confused.

Also not only is Steven Blum in this game, he's also the voice of the main antagonist in Portable Ops. Given that is the game that takes place chronologically right before this, I find it semi-hilarious that Snake is conversing with his old enemy wearing a mustache. Well, not really but it's still weird for me. I guess he's

I no longer play MG games but I will enjoy watching this for you and Grace.