Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

deftest posted:

New tron that focuses less on consistently assembling the lands early and more on control?

Soooooo blue tron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

deftest posted:

New tron that focuses less on consistently assembling the lands early and more on control?

Or maybe just some Kozilek's Return in tron

W/U Tron already exists

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

W/U Tron already exists

Any deck that can run Calciform Pools is at minimum tier 2

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's not gonna be hard to cast for most decks. Generating colorless mana is not hard to do.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ramos posted:

Soooooo blue tron?

Wouldn't play this card in a million years. It needs Dismember too badly to deal with Bananamen, zombie fish, and Deceivers which are the only scary cards from otherwise good matchups.

Although attacking for 9 with a Wurmcoil isn't nothing. :v:

Edit: Not to mention this costs 2 mana to Dismember's 1. What does this kill that Pyroclasm/Volvanic Kozilek doesn't?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Like, the one thing that card does well - killing Etched Champion - is something Tron doesn't really care about, since its strategy of make enormous colorless threat on turn 3-4 is good against etched champion anyway. It's more interesting in Affinity, but there why are you putting it in your deck over dismember? Are there any other decks in Modern that can expect to consistently cast it and care about both Etched Champion and Burn (because otherwise they would probably just run Dismember)?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

Wouldn't play this card in a million years. It needs Dismember too badly to deal with Bananamen, zombie fish, and Deceivers which are the only scary cards from otherwise good matchups.

Although attacking for 9 with a Wurmcoil isn't nothing. :v:

Splinter Twin isn't a big deal thanks to Commandeer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Like, the one thing that card does well - killing Etched Champion - is something Tron doesn't really care about, since its strategy of make enormous colorless threat on turn 3-4 is good against etched champion anyway. It's more interesting in Affinity, but there why are you putting it in your deck over dismember? Are there any other decks in Modern that can expect to consistently cast it and care about both Etched Champion and Burn (because otherwise they would probably just run Dismember)?

Jund, aside from the "consistently cast it" thing. I'm pretty sure that's it.

rabidsquid posted:

Splinter Twin isn't a big deal thanks to Commandeer.

Don't think I haven't thought about it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hey wizards ban me for leaking cohort's existence a month early and ban everyone else in this thread too

Lottery of Babylon posted:

From the Magic Duels game:

Looks like Allies might be getting a new mechanic called Cohort in the small set.

Spatial Contortion looks good but it's kinda underwhelming that the Weird Alien True-Colorless Eldrazi card is just a colorshift of a black card that was actually much weirder due to the creature type mechanics.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Looks like I was right about mythic rares/rares not having reminder text about colourless mana but the commons would, at a minimum.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am far too powerful for wizards of the coast to ban

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ramos posted:

We seem to be missing a card in Elyv's list.

I wish this was a common - pauper Goblins's best card is Goblin Bushwhacker, and a second Bushwhacker would be bananas.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

I wish this was a common - pauper Goblins's best card is Goblin Bushwhacker, and a second Bushwhacker would be bananas.

You're throwing a lot of shade at Goblin Sledder my man

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

reprint skullclamp and I'll care about this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait no I won't it has 2 toughness

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Neat, except wizards refuses to print good equipment so we always get cockteases like this. Just reprint bonesplitter or something already.

There are like 4 different white 2/1 dudes for W so it would still be sweet, plus 1/1 token making cards.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Both a combo and a non-bo with Skullclamp!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Terrible Horse posted:

By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

I don't agree. Nothing terrible so far. Just mostly competent mediocrity.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Balon posted:

Combos with Spatial Distortion. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Terrible Horse posted:

The art is all starting to look like static videogame concept/rendered art. Obviously, this is just future-proofing these new sets to accommodate our future MODO-only game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Valakut Tyrant is a cool design, it's just a shame it's either overcosted or a decent 5 drop you can't cast with 5 mana.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

There are like 4 different white 2/1 dudes for W so it would still be sweet, plus 1/1 token making cards.

skullclamp isn't being reprinted so it's kinda moot, heck I don't think BFZ had any amazing equipment (slab hammer's okay I guess) so it's not like it's all that exciting in draft either

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

BizarroAzrael posted:

Valakut Tyrant is a cool design, it's just a shame it's either overcosted or a decent 5 drop you can't cast with 5 mana.

Just cast mutagenic grwoth or something theehee

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It also gives extra toughness to skullclampees

E: turns skullclamp into bone splitter kind of

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Balon posted:

Just clamp 2 clamps on an x/1, problem solved!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I feel like the draw spell needs an extra surge effect for constructed, the best case of instant divination does not seem particularly strong

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
You don't play Skullclamp in limited just to sac your 1/1 creatures - why would you play bad cards just to turn Skullclamp on? You clamp up your 2/2s to make them into unblockable 3/1s that your opponent can't trade with or remove without getting swiftly outcarded, then move it over to another 2/2 to have a 3/1 blocker that your opponent can't attack into. Skullclamp is sick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
As a Tron dabbler I'm very excited to cast some World Breaker's.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

I wonder if this can do something dumb with Grafted War Gear/Demonmail Hauberk in Modern. Not viable, but "I can't believe I lost to that crap" dumb. Turn 1 Doomed Traveler, Turn 2 Outfitter, Turn 3 Wargear-> Sac Traveler to equip to Outfitter and cantrip -> attack with the 6/5 Outfitter?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

New goblin bushwacker is certainly constructed playable too, dragon fodder and hordeling outburst haven't rotated yet.

I for one really want to do the turn 4 play of Bushwacker with Surge cracked in for 6+

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whateverfor posted:

I wonder if this can do something dumb with Grafted War Gear/Demonmail Hauberk in Modern. Not viable, but "I can't believe I lost to that crap" dumb. Turn 1 Doomed Traveler, Turn 2 Outfitter, Turn 3 Wargear-> Sac Traveler to equip to Outfitter and cantrip -> attack with the 6/5 Outfitter?

That doesnt seem that amazing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Since surge is a thing how likely is Oath being full of cheap, efficient spells?

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That doesnt seem that amazing

Yeah it's definitely not actually good but it's spoiler season, more fun to try and make things sort of work even if you know that it won't. The interaction is powerful but not nearly good enough for modern, unless they print a better Grafted Wargear (which wouldn't be crazy).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Support could be good if there's a good 2 cmc instant with it, but something about Shoulder to Shoulder makes me think we won't get it. Really I'd like Shoulder to Shoulder to just be one mana less. Support 3+ will probably just be wasted most of the time and too costly.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Since surge is a thing how likely is Oath being full of cheap, efficient spells?

If they don't print a Lightning Strike that surges into Bolt, they screwed up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

They probably won't, because that would have taken up a mythic spot.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

They probably won't, because that would have taken up a mythic spot.

Then surge is a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cactrot posted:

This won't happen for exactly the same reason that fiery impulse can't target players

• Locked thread