Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

That's cute with ghostfire blade and scions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the new Bushwacker. Goblins definitely wanted more of them, and it could lead to some exciting turns in an ally deck. Standard tokens could maybe use it too.

Nameless Inversion is probably fairly strong in standard. Should be cool for C decks, and a good incentive to go in on that theme in draft.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I feel like the draw spell needs an extra surge effect for constructed, the best case of instant divination does not seem particularly strong
Artificer's Intuition saw a fair amount of play when we had Darksteel Citadel in spite of being just that. Standard is definitely light on surge enablers though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 28, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, our legendary dude is specifically a surge enabler. Doesn't mean much besides surge is going to be heavy in red and blue though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is Shardless BUG becoming A Thing again?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

Yeah, agreed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Is Shardless BUG becoming A Thing again?

It's been doing pretty well since the Dig Through Time bannings. Once again it has the best potential for raw card advantage now that everyone can't Cruise/Dig.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ramos posted:

Well, our legendary dude is specifically a surge enabler. Doesn't mean much besides surge is going to be heavy in red and blue though.
I mean more that standard is light on playable cheap spells, particularly instants.

Jori actually looks OK in a vacuum to me, although for similar reasons standard is not good for her right now. She can replace herself immediately then threaten to draw more cards if not dealt with.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like the new Bushwacker. Goblins definitely wanted more of them, and it could lead to some exciting turns in an ally deck. Standard tokens could maybe use it too.

Nameless Inversion is probably fairly strong in standard. Should be cool for C decks, and a good incentive to go in on that theme in draft.
Artificer's Intuition saw a fair amount of play when we had Darksteel Citadel in spite of being just that. Standard is definitely light on surge enablers though.

I feel like Nameless Inversion should be good enough for Standard, tho colorless NI is a harder sell

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

I feel like Nameless Inversion should be good enough for Standard, tho colorless NI is a harder sell

in standard it's silkwrap that can't hit half of a wingmate roc and can't cleanly answer hangarback walker, but doesn't die to half a dromoka's command and is at instant speed

that's probably good enough to see play, even with the stricter mana constraint

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UberJew posted:

in standard it's silkwrap that can't hit half of a wingmate roc and can't cleanly answer hangarback walker, but doesn't die to half a dromoka's command and is at instant speed

You can also use it to push through like three points of damage, I guess. So basically it's a step closer to just having Lightning Strike.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
and i should have specified being instant speed means it hits shambling vents, as that is basically a staple standard creature as well

e: and the flipside is since it doesn't exile it worse against rally, but you want instant speed removal against rally in general so its a bit of a wash

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 28, 2015

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

UberJew posted:

Like, I take your point here, but this is a terrible comparison. It's like Silkwrap insofar as it costs two, and targets creatures.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cactrot posted:

If they don't print a Lightning Strike that surges into Bolt, they screwed up.

God that would be amazing for older formats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

This won't happen for exactly the same reason that fiery impulse can't target players

the solution is to ban bolt in modern

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What's Bolt's Twitter account? Someone trick it into retweeting a spoiler.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

the solution is to ban bolt in modern

yeah let's ban the best card ever, NOT

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

stinkles1112 posted:

Like, I take your point here, but this is a terrible comparison. It's like Silkwrap insofar as it costs two, and targets creatures.

Two mana removal is a specific slot that decks want and whether this sees play is pretty dependent on how it stacks up to similar cards

Both Silkwrap and this one share the same general niche of 'kills small creatures', so they're more directly comparable than Ultimate Price f.ex

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

It's not really a terrible comparison, I think. There's not a ton of options in 2 mana removal - the most common one is Silkwrap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was a little surprised Draconic Roar didn't eventually show up in non-dragon decks, but I guess Fiery Impulse is just a much better card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

yeah let's ban the best card ever, NOT

There's a reason 3/5 of the best decks in the format have it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They cost different colors, is the main thing. I don't think people will try to splash for it but the fact that a deck playing C will have a decent Jace answer is good to know.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's a reason 3/5 of the best decks in the format have it

do you hate good cards or do you have a pet deck that just folds to decks with bolt in them

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How much of a resurgence do you all expect to see in wedge decks that run off of tri-lands and pain lands to support a colorless splash?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

do you hate good cards or do you have a pet deck that just folds to decks with bolt in them

It's King of Springs; he's trolling.

AlternateNu posted:

How much of a resurgence do you all expect to see in wedge decks that run off of tri-lands and pain lands to support a colorless splash?

Colorless cards need to be better than Nameless Inversion to get people to stop splashing for Crackling Doom in UWR decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No; I'm the Errant Gin Monks of red

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

This is going to end up as part of an engine for a combo deck, isn't it?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It might have a home in that Esper Familiar pauper deck

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

This is going to end up as part of an engine for a combo deck, isn't it?

Infinite mana with fastbond-crucible-zuran orb.

Not really something played a lot, but hey, it's an other part of an already fairly familiar engine, why not mention it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AgentSythe posted:

It might have a home in that Esper Familiar pauper deck

It seems just worse than Islands and bouncelands to me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It seems good with Amulet of Vigor, but I don't know if Bloom wants it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

My initial thought would be if it sees play in Amulet Bloom. Even without Amulet out you can get usable mana from Titan.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

It seems just worse than Islands and bouncelands to me.
Yeah I don't think there's a way to abuse it which doesn't work better with either basics or karoos.

Edit: forgot about prime time, so it probably is good as a 1-of or 2-of in amulet bloom as a tutor target.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This is when we get the Modern bans right? I'm still skeptical Summer Bloom is gonna make it this time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

This is when we get the Modern bans right? I'm still skeptical Summer Bloom is gonna make it this time.

Yeah, it and Twin are doomed this time!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Forgot if this was part of the leaked batch of rares but here you go

have yourself a reprint

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well, if anything this is when price spikes happen (ya know, if things change that is).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It's like a non-deck so that'd be weird.

My friend just built Twin, so I'm now in the position of hoping they don't ban anything from that anymore :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Well, if anything this is when price spikes happen (ya know, if things change that is).

Speaking of, Stoneforge is 40$ right now and rising fast.

Either someone knows something, or the speccing is real.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of, Stoneforge is 40$ right now and rising fast.

Either someone knows something, or the speccing is real.

Stoneforge GP promo has a lot of people thinking (Wrongly, IMO) that it'll be unbanned in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

Stoneforge GP promo has a lot of people thinking (Wrongly, IMO) that it'll be unbanned in modern.

It is the only GP promo made after Modern became a format that isn't currently legal in it, so there's that.

• Locked thread