Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Too early to tell. Savage Turn 2 might require clearing A4S for all we know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So I just started today and I'm really having a good time so far. I had to choose Exodus server because I wanted to start playing right away (all of the other servers were unavailable) and I went with the Arcanist for now after reading that they were good soloers.

I just rolled on Excalibur since it is 5am now so I can start another character here. My question is as a completely new player, aside from playing with goons of course, would I be better off on a newer server like Exodus or at this point is everyone already a veteran so there isn't much difference between legacy and normal servers? Seeing other people playing the game in an MMO is nice, and I am not a fan of low level wastelands.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The great thing about the Armoury system and Dungeon roulettes is that you'll see people running around all the time in nearly every zone. The absolute beginner zones might be a bit quieter but otherwise you'll usually see at least a few people running around the zone. And it's almost a guarantee that someone in a dungeon group will have run it before.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Obligatum VII posted:

I still think that probably the easiest fix for PLD is making them the tank equivalent to the AST and giving them some buffs to throw out for the DPS that makes up their own personal DPS gap.

I don't think that turning the "worst tank" into the equivalent of the "worst healer" is going to solve anything.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

rio posted:

So I just started today and I'm really having a good time so far. I had to choose Exodus server because I wanted to start playing right away (all of the other servers were unavailable) and I went with the Arcanist for now after reading that they were good soloers.

I just rolled on Excalibur since it is 5am now so I can start another character here. My question is as a completely new player, aside from playing with goons of course, would I be better off on a newer server like Exodus or at this point is everyone already a veteran so there isn't much difference between legacy and normal servers? Seeing other people playing the game in an MMO is nice, and I am not a fan of low level wastelands.

There's always a fairly steady stream of new players. The majority hang out in Ishgard but you still have to do all the 2.x content to get to that point, and all of that takes place in the original zones.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The Crystal Tower Runs LS had its maiden voyage yesterday and it was a resounding success. We did Labyrinth of the Ancients, Syrcus Tower, and World of Darkness in one fell swoop. Additionally, having so many goons level synced provided tremendous hilarity- as Hank touched on, we pretty much broke the Bone Dragon. Hell, forget the Bone Dragon, every single function of LotA was broken. Thanatos was down before the third party was given Ghost-Touched, King Behemoth was trounced with excessive speed (so fast that there were a few deaths from meteors, but they caused absolutely no issues) and then we died once to Phlegethon because his second Ancient Flare was so immediate that not everyone was prepared to step back onto their platforms in time.

Syrcus also went exceedingly well. Scylla didn't have a chance to petrify anyone- hell, she only got off one, maybe two Ancient Flares before she fell from a barrage of goons pelting her with constant attacks. Most people familiar with ST at its zenith will probably have taken out Glasya Labolas before he activated the platforms, so it's not a stretch to say that we didn't see them. Amon was aggro'd early and there was some confusion, so an effort was made to kill him with half of the party intact. It failed, but not before taking him down to 50% as well. Second try, Amon fell easily. Xande went down nearly as fast.

WoD still has plenty of mechanics that must be followed, but the raid still went very fast. No wipes at all during this raid.

I can't say enough good things about how much fun it all was. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next time the group of goons will journey into CT. Those who are interested, definitely look into joining the LS while we have free spots. Perks include tons of Poetics Tomestones (including an additional 50 when even one party in the alliance has a new player to the raids), level 80-120 gear, minions (Wind-up Onion Knight, Wind-up Cloud of Darkness), and tokens used to create and/or upgrade the level 100 and 120 weapons and armors. Potential Onion Knight Triple Triad card can also drop from the World of Darkness, rarely. Think I'll try taking video next time I join in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Remember to set the video to Yakety Sax, because that will certainly be the prevailing mood in the raid.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Grimace posted:

The Crystal Tower Runs LS had its maiden voyage yesterday and it was a resounding success. We did Labyrinth of the Ancients, Syrcus Tower, and World of Darkness in one fell swoop. Additionally, having so many goons level synced provided tremendous hilarity- as Hank touched on, we pretty much broke the Bone Dragon. Hell, forget the Bone Dragon, every single function of LotA was broken. Thanatos was down before the third party was given Ghost-Touched, King Behemoth was trounced with excessive speed (so fast that there were a few deaths from meteors, but they caused absolutely no issues) and then we died once to Phlegethon because his second Ancient Flare was so immediate that not everyone was prepared to step back onto their platforms in time.

Syrcus also went exceedingly well. Scylla didn't have a chance to petrify anyone- hell, she only got off one, maybe two Ancient Flares before she fell from a barrage of goons pelting her with constant attacks. Most people familiar with ST at its zenith will probably have taken out Glasya Labolas before he activated the platforms, so it's not a stretch to say that we didn't see them. Amon was aggro'd early and there was some confusion, so an effort was made to kill him with half of the party intact. It failed, but not before taking him down to 50% as well. Second try, Amon fell easily. Xande went down nearly as fast.

WoD still has plenty of mechanics that must be followed, but the raid still went very fast. No wipes at all during this raid.

I can't say enough good things about how much fun it all was. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next time the group of goons will journey into CT. Those who are interested, definitely look into joining the LS while we have free spots. Perks include tons of Poetics Tomestones (including an additional 50 when even one party in the alliance has a new player to the raids), level 80-120 gear, minions (Wind-up Onion Knight, Wind-up Cloud of Darkness), and tokens used to create and/or upgrade the level 100 and 120 weapons and armors. Potential Onion Knight Triple Triad card can also drop from the World of Darkness, rarely. Think I'll try taking video next time I join in.

Who should I talk to if I want to join?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Badger of Basra posted:

Who should I talk to if I want to join?

There are people with invite privs in all three goon FCs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Remember to set the video to Yakety Sax, because that will certainly be the prevailing mood in the raid.

"Alliance C has decided to try and wipe the raid. Lets see if Alliances A or B notice"

Sunshine Bandit
Oct 12, 2006
I haven't really played an MMO since poopsocking in Everquest 1. Is it possible to casually play and enjoy this game (2 little kids, limited time) or should I just save my $30?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sunshine Bandit posted:

I haven't really played an MMO since poopsocking in Everquest 1. Is it possible to casually play and enjoy this game (2 little kids, limited time) or should I just save my $30?

This game is more fun the less time you put into it, with fun peaking somewhere below 10 hours a week.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Niton posted:

This game is more fun the less time you put into it, with fun peaking somewhere below 10 hours a week.

Unless you're working on the story, in which case the sky's the limit.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

This is ultimately irrelevant since I have to do it either way, but did they change the way the former (ARR) endgame content works so it provides useful exp (and less likely, rewards) for people with the expansion? I know I have to do all the MSQ to get to the new stuff, but it's going to be frustrating if I don't see any meaningful gains from it.

I know common wisdom was to get someone to send me the vendor poo poo from the new area once I hit 50, is that still true? If the old content gives me no gear upgrades and negligible exp, that's pretty stupid.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

dromal phrenia posted:

This is ultimately irrelevant since I have to do it either way, but did they change the way the former (ARR) endgame content works so it provides useful exp (and less likely, rewards) for people with the expansion? I know I have to do all the MSQ to get to the new stuff, but it's going to be frustrating if I don't see any meaningful gains from it.

I know common wisdom was to get someone to send me the vendor poo poo from the new area once I hit 50, is that still true? If the old content gives me no gear upgrades and negligible exp, that's pretty stupid.

All of the level 50 (4-man) dungeons now give proper dungeon exp, so they don't feel like wasted effort / a lovely roulette below 60.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

dromal phrenia posted:

You get some good XP, doing the MSQ from 2.1 to 2.55 plus dungeons will get you to half way to 53. With daily roulette's, might be 54. But the best thing to do is run the lvl 50 dungeons for poetics, then buy the Ironworks gear that's i120. That'll last until about 54-56, then the HW stuff is better.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I subbed so that I can join the guild, registered on the forum etc. and looks like now I just need to get in one in game. Any difference between the three guilds? I'm closest to Mist so the third one looks like it will be the most straightforward of the three.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

rio posted:

I subbed so that I can join the guild, registered on the forum etc. and looks like now I just need to get in one in game. Any difference between the three guilds? I'm closest to Mist so the third one looks like it will be the most straightforward of the three.

They're all pretty comparable, but TPT has the best house so you should go with them.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

rio posted:

PBC and DGKK are basically indistinguishable.

TPT is cool for new players because they have a no spoiler policy and with the new folks joining the game, it might make things easier on you for getting content done.

That said, the cool kids are obviously in DGKK.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

Some people seem to think lalafells - potatos - are worth playing even though you can't see your outfits (the True Endgame) for crap. To their credit, they do have some pretty sweet animations (and mustaches on dude potatos).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Lmf9YbRh8

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Started playing two nights ago (cautiously, since XI wound up sucking up so much of my time back in the day), and I currently have a level 10 LNC on Excalibur that I'm working on. Thing is, even though I've read the OPs and a bit on the wikia and all, there's still some things I don't really get all that well, like the difference between an FC and a LS, and how those work in XIV, exactly. I mainly want a good, active goon community to play the game with, though I don't really know what to do to "register as a FFgoon," etc.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

A free company is a guild. A linkshell is a private chat channel. If you want to play with goons, join an FC, and if you become close friends with some of them, start an LS. If you want to join a goon FC, you'll need to make an account on http://forums.ffgoons.com/ to get an ID code, then follow the instructions on the site and send an application to the FC.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Tenik posted:

A free company is a guild. A linkshell is a private chat channel. If you want to play with goons, join an FC, and if you become close friends with some of them, start an LS. If you want to join a goon FC, you'll need to make an account on http://forums.ffgoons.com/ to get an ID code, then follow the instructions on the site and send an application to the FC.

Thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So just in case this hasn't been made clear via context, right now if you're a new player for any level 50 or 60 duty, ask in your various FC and you will have an eager party of good players ready to go to crush that poo poo. It doesn't matter what it is in particular, people will pounce on you right now for a newbie bonus. Did you always want The Final Witness for your title but never stepped foot in coil? Ask and a group can get together with a quickness to do pretty much anything.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As another point of clarity, you can only be in one free company but you can be in up to eight linkshells. Free companies provide more tangible benefits beyond simply communication, such as buffs, housing, chocobro stabling/raising/dyeing, or a guild bank ("FC chest"). For social organization purposes, they're pretty much equivalent except that you're limited to 512 people in a FC and 128 people in a single LS.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

dromal phrenia posted:

Old content will help unlock your daily Low Level and Level 50 Duty Roulettes, which will help your experience as you level, especially as a tank with short queue times. It also gives you all those nifty items that you can use for glamours, which is of course the true endgame.

Older content will also give you up to level 130 gear, but to be fair, that will only cover you until about level 54/55 before it starts wearing out. Still a nice boost, but you would also be perfectly fine using the i115 gear from the Heavensward vendors.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

TheHeadSage posted:

But the best thing to do is run the lvl 50 dungeons for poetics, then buy the Ironworks gear that's i120. That'll last until about 54-56, then the HW stuff is better.

Just having done the 2.0 to Heavensward bit, I'd say you can skip doing dungeons for the i120 stuff. Unless Ironworks can somehow be upgraded, you'll get 120 stuff from the MSQ soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCUvx2BExZI

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That tater is all up in that goobue taint, good poo poo.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Sunshine Bandit posted:

It can be super casual. You can also get it right now for under six bucks with a free month in the current Humble Bundle. Go for it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Valle posted:

Just having done the 2.0 to Heavensward bit, I'd say you can skip doing dungeons for the i120 stuff. Unless Ironworks can somehow be upgraded, you'll get 120 stuff from the MSQ soon enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCUvx2BExZI

How do you run around with your arms out like that?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
play a race made out of starch

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

vOv posted:

How do you run around with your arms out like that?

There was a glitch way back in the day where if you used an emote at the right time while sitting down your top half would get stuck in the emote pose. It was fixed a while ago I think?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

:aaaaa:

This is making me want to fantasia.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

jyrque posted:

:aaaaa:

This is making me want to fantasia.

Yeah, I understand that. I would want to get as far away from that race as possible too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Surprisingly well done. Schtick and everything. It's a denmo video, of course it is.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The only Fantasia change you should make is to be to change to a roegadyn

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
http://www.lalafellmasterrace.com/

Found my new homepage.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ban this sick filth.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Site isn't mobile friendly. Do they really think lalafels would use anything but a cell phone to browse the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Valle posted:

you can buy carbontwine/coat with poetics to upgrade it to i130, but that's only worth doing for the weapon.

• Locked thread