Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Well the new gate arrived and he's not yet broken through to the other side. He still cries and howls for a bit at night, but then seems to settle. I hope it doesn't take too much longer for him to be alright. Thank you for your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

We adopted Spike & his sister Lina just over a year ago today. We knew they were old dogs when we took them in. Yesterday Spike had a poor reaction to the anesthetic while having his teeth cleaned. When we took him in for an ultrasound, they also found an aggressive tumor in his spleen. It's operable, but the damage has been done--even after removing it they think he'd have 3 months at most. Six weeks of that would be spent recovering from the surgery.

The vet said when the time comes it'll probably be over quick. So we took him home and started him on a regimen of painkillers, plus an herbal supplement to restrict bloodlflow to the tumor. He's curled up against me now, sleeping peacefully. I'll probably post a couple pictures of him over the next few days as a means of coping.

E: here's another one. He loved to curl up in the sun out back, so we got him a mat. He used it once and went back to napping on the dirt.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 18, 2015

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
My mom's friend found a puppy dirty and alone on the street on Xmas eve of all nights. I come over and it turns out to be a pit bull mix. My mom is keeping her for now. She already has a Yorkshire and somewhat large and beefy rat terrier. Both dogs are extremely submissive. She lives in a rural area, with a large fenced in backyard.

Should we bother raising the pit and looking into training or just offload it ASAP and never look back?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

My mom's friend found a puppy dirty and alone on the street on Xmas eve of all nights. I come over and it turns out to be a pit bull mix. My mom is keeping her for now. She already has a Yorkshire and somewhat large and beefy rat terrier. Both dogs are extremely submissive. She lives in a rural area, with a large fenced in backyard.

Should we bother raising the pit and looking into training or just offload it ASAP and never look back?

Considering you used the word "submissive" to describe dogs, find it a different and better home that knows something about dogs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astrollinthepork posted:

Managing a pitbull around not one but two established dogs is going to be quite a handful. Even a well behaved pit plays very rough and you're going to need to manage all of their interactions with you other dogs.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I wouldn't try and fit a new dog in like that without a ton of prep, pit or not.

Find a good shelter for it.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

astrollinthepork posted:

It's a puppy, unless it is showing signs of genetic predisposition to aggression, raised with other dogs it should be fine

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Considering you used the word "submissive" to describe dogs, find it a different and better home that knows something about dogs.
Go gently caress yourself for real. You have been posting on PI for way too long to have a problem with me using a certain word. Your title seems to be very accurate.

The Yorkshire is a young dog that basically stays with my mom 100% of the time. It is terrified when she leaves and finds the first hiding place to go. The rat terrier is a big dumb sweetie. The only time any sort of aggression comes into play with him is when a dog comes up on TV.

So far they are both absolutely terrified of the puppy. Even the Yorkshire is twice her size but that doesn't stop her from running away and crying. So submissive is a pretty apt word when it comes to these dogs and trying to predict interactions with a loving pit bull. Please think for more than ten seconds before posting instead of just blindly posting the first lovely comment you can.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 25, 2015

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
So, I'm watching my brother's dogs while he's on vacation ( we live in the same house so it's no big deal) but the problem is the male dog won't let the female eat. He's developed food aggression while they've been away. I've been told that he was always a gentleman and let's the girl dog eat but not this time. I've had to separate them so she can eat. They fight around bed time and food time but there has been no blood.

I am wondering if this kind of aggression can be fixed or should we have to put him down? (I've watched those animal cop shows too much and that's what they do).

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

pizzadog posted:

It's a puppy, unless it is showing signs of genetic predisposition to aggression, raised with other dogs it should be fine

It's at least part pit bull, there's your genetic predisposition.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Well apparently the dog was given to my mom under false pretenses. It was not found on the street, but taken from someone who had a litter. Mom's friend decided she couldn't keep it so I guess she made up a story so my Mom would take it. Mom is looking to offload her. Supposedly knows of a farmer with a rather large property and another female pit puppy so we'll see!

Thanks for the helpful responses.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Rangpur posted:

We adopted Spike & his sister Lina just over a year ago today. We knew they were old dogs when we took them in. Yesterday Spike had a poor reaction to the anesthetic while having his teeth cleaned. When we took him in for an ultrasound, they also found an aggressive tumor in his spleen. It's operable, but the damage has been done--even after removing it they think he'd have 3 months at most. Six weeks of that would be spent recovering from the surgery.

The vet said when the time comes it'll probably be over quick. So we took him home and started him on a regimen of painkillers, plus an herbal supplement to restrict bloodlflow to the tumor. He's curled up against me now, sleeping peacefully. I'll probably post a couple pictures of him over the next few days as a means of coping.

E: here's another one. He loved to curl up in the sun out back, so we got him a mat. He used it once and went back to napping on the dirt.

Much love being sent your way.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

CoolCat posted:

Much love being sent your way.
Thanks. Truthfully, he seems like his old self most of the time. Only change is spending more time asleep. I wanted to upload more, but thought it might come off as spamming. Here's one with the whole gang:

Spike, Lina, and also some non-dog life form or another but who cares about him.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Know where I'll be on the 2nd (petco unleashed)

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So my frenchie is really settled at night now. In fact, after his last toilet trip outside he often runs straight in to his crate ready for bed.

My new challenge is to get him to stop pulling on his lead when we walk. I've done some research and apparently every time he does this I should stop until he stops pulling, rather than yanking. I have been doing this but he doesn't really seem to be getting it. In fact, tonight he got pretty frustrated every time I stopped and started trying to leap forward, which he has never done before. Is this normal? Should I persevere with this method or is it just going to result in a dog who jumps forward instead of walking?

Thanks for any help

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Balcony posted:

So my frenchie is really settled at night now. In fact, after his last toilet trip outside he often runs straight in to his crate ready for bed.

My new challenge is to get him to stop pulling on his lead when we walk. I've done some research and apparently every time he does this I should stop until he stops pulling, rather than yanking. I have been doing this but he doesn't really seem to be getting it. In fact, tonight he got pretty frustrated every time I stopped and started trying to leap forward, which he has never done before. Is this normal? Should I persevere with this method or is it just going to result in a dog who jumps forward instead of walking?

Thanks for any help
You can change direction when he pulls and give treats when you have a loose leash to help accelerate it, but good walking etiquette will take time. Also try other treats/commands/namegame in the middle of the walk so he knows that he needs to be looking at you.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Just wanted to vent - i've been lucky as gently caress to have an awesome, awesome dog (entlebucher mountain dog) for 14 years. I never had issues with him. He was full of life and personality and loved my stupid rear end more than he probably should have at times.

Tomorrow, I likely have to put him down. Dementia and severe anxiety have tormented him for the last month or so and he just doesn't have that sparkle in his eye anymore. Always nervous, always pacing, always fighting sleep. A few thousand dollars and a couple different vets later, nobody has an answer, so everyone is guessing dementia.

I loving hate this.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

pizzadog posted:

its a pit bull

its genetically predisposed to dog aggression

h t h

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Balcony posted:

Thanks for any help

The leaping is a good sign - when you're training a dog to stop an undesirable behavior, the behavior will sometimes worsen for a bit as they experiment with changing it up to see if some variation of the behavior works, before they finally stop altogether. Just don't give in; if you do, you've taught him to leap forward on the leash.

Either that, or he just saw something really attractive and wanted it really badly, in which case you should distract him with a treat or command or something to get that thing out of his mind.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

GoatShaver posted:

Just wanted to vent - i've been lucky as gently caress to have an awesome, awesome dog (entlebucher mountain dog) for 14 years. I never had issues with him. He was full of life and personality and loved my stupid rear end more than he probably should have at times.

Tomorrow, I likely have to put him down. Dementia and severe anxiety have tormented him for the last month or so and he just doesn't have that sparkle in his eye anymore. Always nervous, always pacing, always fighting sleep. A few thousand dollars and a couple different vets later, nobody has an answer, so everyone is guessing dementia.

I loving hate this.

Stay strong buddy. Its better this way. Dementia is a bastard.

Sending good vibes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AsYouWish posted:

its a pit bull

its genetically predisposed to dog aggression

h t h

pit bulls are
genetically predisposed

to FACE KISSES

like no, dude, get your nose off of my face, no not in my mouth either, yeah I love you but come on.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

pit bulls are
genetically predisposed

to FACE KISSES

like no, dude, get your nose off of my face, no not in my mouth either, yeah I love you but come on.

Worf update? Have you built the pitbull chariot yet?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
no, he is too busy trying to figure out wtf snow is. really hard to get him to pee because stepping in the snow kicks it up, which then becomes a THING TO CHASE, which kicks up more snow. it's a vicious circle of adorable running in circles through the snow trying to eat it out of the air as it sprays in front of him.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

dog chariot webm

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I might have said this before but substituting "Fido" for "your dog" is the most irritating written cliche. It makes half of the dog advice articles online unreadable.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Main Paineframe posted:

The leaping is a good sign - when you're training a dog to stop an undesirable behavior, the behavior will sometimes worsen for a bit as they experiment with changing it up to see if some variation of the behavior works, before they finally stop altogether. Just don't give in; if you do, you've taught him to leap forward on the leash.

Either that, or he just saw something really attractive and wanted it really badly, in which case you should distract him with a treat or command or something to get that thing out of his mind.

Thank you. I hoped that this was the case.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Brodie. Martin BroDog. Named after the most succesful netminder in the NHL, he was meant to be a cool as gently caress dog.

Brodie is my 6 month Lab puppy.

I need help. I can't trust him. At all.

We went to obedience classes and the first 6 weeks he was top of the class, I was so proud of him. He would recall on command, sit, lie down (if baited by a treat), stay, leave food until given a release command to eat it. Then at about 4 months we started the second set of lessons and he went from the top of the class to the bottom. It was so bad that one of the course leaders said that if Brodie would just be calm for 2 minutes, then that would some success that I could take away with me and be proud. I stopped the classes as I believe that he was associating a certain behaviour with the location, the building that the classes were in.

At home he has always been a pain. He steals my daughters toys and will not let them go, even when I try and distract him and focus his attention on his own favourite toys/food/treats he ignores them and I have to resort to prising his jaws open. Since he has been big enough to do so he has jumped up to the kitchen counter and taken all sorts of items that we try and put out of the way. If we prepare any food and turn our back he is up at the counter scoffing our dinner. He has ripped up letters, chewed our dining table chairs and ended up costing us over £430 in vet bills, he has ruined the kitchen vinyl flooring by ripping it into pieces not once but twice. He pulls on the lead and lurches at other dogs (we've just about stopped him jumping up at other members of the public, nearly). He has chewed and ripped every type of clothing from jeans to socks to t-shirts to work clothes. He has dug holes in my garden and after being let out for a wee or a poop, he won't come inside when called. He just stands at the back door.

Recently he has been ignoring his name and recall commands when I let him off the lead on the huge field behind my house which impacts on his enjoyment and exercise, if I can't trust him to come back when I need him to, then I can't let him off the lead. He only walks at heel when bribed with a treat but even that has lost its effectiveness and I resort to pulling him back to my side. I try and stop every time he pulls and bring him back to my side with treats but he continually pulls, it took me an hour and 40 minutes to do a 30 minute walk the other day because I stopped everytime he pulled, which isn't feasable to achieve when I am back at work after the Christmas period.

I praise highly when he does something good but he doesn't seem to make the association. He does come and sit with me and is calm mostly in the evening after my partner and toddler have gone to bed but that's a bit of a cop out because he sleeps most of the time then, so it is no wonder he is quiet. It's hard to find the positives. It really is. Oh, he waits obediently and patiently until I say 'ok' and that he can go to his dinner. Thinking about it, he is great with my daughter, she likes to cuddle him and calls him her best friend. He sleeps well in his crate, and barks to let us know he needs the toilet.

I know that you are going to suggest that he is not stimulated mentally or physically but that simply isn't the full picture (if it is at all) as I sit on the floor and play with him, I have a book called brain games for dogs which we do stuff out of every day, we hide treats for him to sniff out, we throw balls for him to chase down the length of the house. He gets two walks a day of about 40 minutes where we cover between 2 and 3 miles. He also runs with me and covers up to 4 miles at a time (he is never pressured to run, he loves it). He is well exercised and we have a variety of toys for him to play with us but also to play with on his own (mostly involving knocking it to get food out of it).

If I'm honest, Brodie is making me frustrated, which in turn is having a detrimental affect on my family life. My fiance complains that I am always grumpy and it's not fair on her or our daughter. The whole situation is making me miserable and it is a far cry from the companion that I hoped for myself to have and my daughter to grow up with. I want to be able to trust him. I want to trust him to come back when I call him, trust him to not chew the poo poo out of anything that is left within his reach (despite us being wise to it and moving everything out of the way), to trust him not to lurch at members of the public and other dogs. I want him to be a nice dog.

Am I doing something horrendously wrong? Am I not cut out to own a dog? Are my expectations waaaaaay too high? How can I change my attitude and approach to improve the situation?

I'll take any advice you can give. Thanks for reading.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The 6-18ish month phase is generally when dogs become total shitlords since they're in the "no gently caress you mom and dad" teenager mindset. Good news is he'll likely grow out of it, bad new is it's gonna take a while.

In the meantime management is key. Keep your daughter's toys in containers he can't get into or keep her room's door shut so he can't get in it. If he's counter surfing during mealtimes you can always crate him with his dinner so he can't steal the food you're trying to prepare. They also make mats you can put on your counters that give them a little shock when they touch it that you could try as well. It's a giant pain in the rear end but don't let him out of your sight and if you need to leave the house he goes in a crate.

As for his recall just start from square one like how you learned in class. Pretend he doesn't know it at all and go from there.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Has anyone had experience with training dogs to pull/drag with them.

Recently i got the bright idea to long board with my dog though living in the wonderful land of scotland smooth pathways and flatland are but a dream to me, My dog loves running with the board and gets noticeably frustrated when im going too slow for him (turning and barking at me), I noticed also when im going to slow hes happy to pull to speed me up, on a collar this is not exactly something i want so i plan to go find him a harness suitable for this.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

DerVerrater posted:

Has anyone had experience with training dogs to pull/drag with them.

Recently i got the bright idea to long board with my dog though living in the wonderful land of scotland smooth pathways and flatland are but a dream to me, My dog loves running with the board and gets noticeably frustrated when im going too slow for him (turning and barking at me), I noticed also when im going to slow hes happy to pull to speed me up, on a collar this is not exactly something i want so i plan to go find him a harness suitable for this.

Look up skijoring or bikejoring for some equipment ideas. You'll likely want an X-back harness designed for pulling for your pup, and maybe a padded waist belt for yourself. Work on directional cues so your pup understands a right vs left, and a go/halt.

Blinks posted:

Brodie. Martin BroDog. Named after the most succesful netminder in the NHL, he was meant to be a cool as gently caress dog.

Brodie is my 6 month Lab puppy.

I need help. I can't trust him. At all.

This all sounds pretty normal, but also pretty frustrating. Firstly, he's a puppy (and a Lab) and they go through an rear end in a top hat stage or two around this age. The trick is trying to utilize management so the rear end in a top hat puppy behaviours are less likely to become habits. Crates, gates, exercize pens, etc. where he can spend some time relaxing or playing solo or chewing on something appropriate.

Work with him to trade low value items for higher value rewards. Start really easy at first.

Use a long drag line to keep control of him while letting him get a bit more freedom at the park so he can't blow off your recall cues. Don't call him if you're not 99% sure he's going to come (not now, at least) because you need to reteach a recall in such a way that he never decides that recalls are optional.

Here's a thread with a lot of good information for you. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451 I don't really have the time to do a fully fledged and well thought out post for your problem, but there are some links to helpful posts re recall, teaching trades, addressing resource guarding, etc there.

Praise means approximately gently caress-all to a lot of dogs (like mine!). Most don't find it very reinforcing, especially when compared to food, play, exploring, etc. The dog gets to decide what it finds reinforcing -- not you. Use what works and lay groundwork for good behaviour patterns. Don't wean off food too early, but also be mindful to not use it as a bribe.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:siren:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Know where I'll be on the 2nd (petco unleashed)

:siren:

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

pit bulls are
genetically predisposed

to FACE KISSES

yesterday one of mine got through an open window, and jumped off the roof of my house from the second story (concrete broke his fall) so that he could go chase my pigs

thankfully it happened when we were home and my pigs are all alive, but he did attempt to carry one up the driveway by its hind leg for an afternoon snack and it was v put out

good dog :solanadumb:

Blinks
May 9, 2004

a life less posted:

Look up skijoring or bikejoring for some equipment ideas. You'll likely want an X-back harness designed for pulling for your pup, and maybe a padded waist belt for yourself. Work on directional cues so your pup understands a right vs left, and a go/halt.

This all sounds pretty normal, but also pretty frustrating. Firstly, he's a puppy (and a Lab) and they go through an rear end in a top hat stage or two around this age. The trick is trying to utilize management so the rear end in a top hat puppy behaviours are less likely to become habits. Crates, gates, exercize pens, etc. where he can spend some time relaxing or playing solo or chewing on something appropriate.

Work with him to trade low value items for higher value rewards. Start really easy at first.

Use a long drag line to keep control of him while letting him get a bit more freedom at the park so he can't blow off your recall cues. Don't call him if you're not 99% sure he's going to come (not now, at least) because you need to reteach a recall in such a way that he never decides that recalls are optional.

Here's a thread with a lot of good information for you. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451 I don't really have the time to do a fully fledged and well thought out post for your problem, but there are some links to helpful posts re recall, teaching trades, addressing resource guarding, etc there.

Praise means approximately gently caress-all to a lot of dogs (like mine!). Most don't find it very reinforcing, especially when compared to food, play, exploring, etc. The dog gets to decide what it finds reinforcing -- not you. Use what works and lay groundwork for good behaviour patterns. Don't wean off food too early, but also be mindful to not use it as a bribe.

Thanks for the reassurance (it's good to know other peoplehave felt the same) and the advice. I like the idea of a long leash on the field. He retains the freedom and I retain control.

Blinks
May 9, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The 6-18ish month phase is generally when dogs become total shitlords since they're in the "no gently caress you mom and dad" teenager mindset. Good news is he'll likely grow out of it, bad new is it's gonna take a while.

In the meantime management is key. Keep your daughter's toys in containers he can't get into or keep her room's door shut so he can't get in it. If he's counter surfing during mealtimes you can always crate him with his dinner so he can't steal the food you're trying to prepare. They also make mats you can put on your counters that give them a little shock when they touch it that you could try as well. It's a giant pain in the rear end but don't let him out of your sight and if you need to leave the house he goes in a crate.

As for his recall just start from square one like how you learned in class. Pretend he doesn't know it at all and go from there.

Regarding recall I'm going heavy on the positivity and treats, small steps, big fuss. We try and manage everything so it is out of reach as much as we can.

I think after venting about how I feel yesterday, I feel like my patience has grown and we've had a great day so far, some training, a nice walk, a good nap for him, a little bit of barking but lot of playing indoors. Thanks to all who commented again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How feasible would it be for me to adopt an older dog? I'm 100% certain a puppy would not be for me but I've been talking to some friends and they think an older dog would be possible. I live alone with two cats and out of the house 8am-6pm every weekday for work. I'd love someone I could take out on hikes on the weekend. Is adopting something that could work for my situation or would I not be able to handle it?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

bamhand posted:

How feasible would it be for me to adopt an older dog? I'm 100% certain a puppy would not be for me but I've been talking to some friends and they think an older dog would be possible. I live alone with two cats and out of the house 8am-6pm every weekday for work. I'd love someone I could take out on hikes on the weekend. Is adopting something that could work for my situation or would I not be able to handle it?

Nothing there seems like an issue. I'd only want to be super, duper careful about a new dog and your cats. I'd plan to keep them separated when you're not home at least for the foreseeable future, even if they seem fine together when you're home 'cause accidents happen. You may want to plan to arrange a mid-day visit for the potential future dog to let him/her out to pee, at least while the dog is getting settled. My dog is a rad hiking partner.

Look at shelter ads, or private rehomes and be really specific about what you're looking for. Some dogs will likely have more energy (or issues) than you're prepared to deal with. It will depend on the individual animal when it comes to fitting your lifestyle.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I was planning on crating the dog while I'm out and making sure I find a good match for my lifestyle from the shelter. The ones I was looking at have a two week trial period and in-home interview before adoption so they all seem pretty responsible.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

bamhand posted:

As somone who is out 7am - 5pm it is shockingly manageable if you can arrange that mid day visit. Even witha troublesome energetic breed like the collie I have only ever had 2-3 incidents of damage and that was when he was like 3 months.

As for as a hiking partner I went from lazy gamer goon to walks on average 7-10 miles a day and saw so much of scotland for it. I cannot recommend a dog enough if you want a hiking partner.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
We have a few ex-racing greyhounds that come to the park. They apparently sleep for like 23 hours a day, and then are up and ready to go play with their humans on the weekend. You can't let them off leash though, and I have no clue how they are around cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions! Any good general resources for what to expect/prepare for? I think the op for this thread is mainly geared toward puppies.