Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

god dammit it was showing up as a facebook trend for me, thats weird

:gowron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

suboptimal posted:

Three years ago

:nsavince:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i honestly think i posted that last year too

maybe on this day

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
japan is going to pay out 8 mil USD to south korean comfort women

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So how does that calculate, per hour or per handjob/blowjob/full service?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wonder why south korea flexed that hard for 8 mill

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
There's 46 comfort women still alive, and if this was direct compensation, which it isn't, that would be 180K per.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Isn't this like the first admission by Japan that they may have been a bunch of assholes for about 10 years in the mid 30s to mid 40s?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Isn't this like the first admission by Japan that they may have been a bunch of assholes for about 10 years in the mid 30s to mid 40s?

It was a little bit longer than 10 years but yes.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Waiting for Internet weeaboos to get butthurt about this.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wonder why south korea flexed that hard for 8 mill

All about the face

Getting Japan to own up to anything is loving impressive

They'll still probably obscure it in their public education system

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zeris posted:

All about the face

Getting Japan to own up to anything is loving impressive

They'll still probably obscure it in their public education system

The US has spent the last 70 years ho humming away every terrible thing the Japanese did in WW2, in no small part because we wanted a friendly country close to China and Russia and the other Asian communist countries during the Cold War.

The US has a really good track record of decisions during that time period.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Pardoning Unit 731 is probably a top tier retarded decision throughout history. Just take their research and gently caress em

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The US has spent the last 70 years ho humming away every terrible thing the Japanese did in WW2, in no small part because we wanted a friendly country close to China and Russia and the other Asian communist countries during the Cold War.

The US has a really good track record of decisions during that time period.

We also nuked them twice.

Imagine if someone blew up your neighborhood which killed your entire family and everyone else and then that person came up and smiled and shook your hand.

That's some boss poo poo.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Paris report: It seems wildly under policed. I do occasionally see teams of four gendarmes running around with rifles, but they aren't shooting any of these ladies with headscarves so I don't know what the point is.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

Imagine if someone blew up your neighborhood which killed your entire family and everyone else and then that person came up and smiled and shook your hand.

dont forget that we firebombed 67 of their cities before that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmfPThGZ-s

tokyo

shizuoka

toyama

dont gently caress with us :911:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

psydude posted:

Japan made a poo poo ton of apologies. There were plenty of shitheel ultra-right wingers who didn't believe it and you can always argue how serious "Japan" (because it's all literally a hive mind where everyone feels the exact same, of course) was about the apologies, but a lot were made.

Also this is not the first time Japan has paid money to Korea, and in fact they paid a whole lot more in that past. Japan even specifically pushed for money to be given specifically to the actual victims of the occupation and their families but the Korean government said hahaha gently caress that and kept most of it for "economic development" aka let's give a bunch of lucrative contracts to our buddies in the major domestic companies.

People like to drill down WW2 (and its aftermath) in Asia to really black and white conflicts, but it's in general all stupidly complicated gray-zones filled with suffering and assholes at every turn.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 28, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cole posted:

Had to drop the 2nd because they believed we only had a single.(we had 2, because the science gods anticipated this exact sort of poker playing bullshit)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Nearly three actually.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah the Koreans don't give a gently caress about some money it's literally all about "Oi gently caress you Japan you cunts". There is some serious deep goddamn hatred for Japan in South Korea. One of my students (an 8 year old) once came up to me and said "TEACHER HIROSHIMA NAGASAKI BOOM BOOM HAHAHA" and i basically pulled a :aaa: , my co-teacher just laughed and gave the kid a pat on the head.

Comfort women is one way they get the hate out. Dokdo is another. They have more love for that birdshit covered rock than America has for football, I poo poo you not.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah the Koreans don't give a gently caress about some money it's literally all about "Oi gently caress you Japan you cunts". There is some serious deep goddamn hatred for Japan in South Korea. One of my students (an 8 year old) once came up to me and said "TEACHER HIROSHIMA NAGASAKI BOOM BOOM HAHAHA" and i basically pulled a :aaa: , my co-teacher just laughed and gave the kid a pat on the head.

Comfort women is one way they get the hate out. Dokdo is another. They have more love for that birdshit covered rock than America has for football, I poo poo you not.

weird how being brutally occupied will cause a lot of hatred

just look at the us occupation of iraq and afghanistan, and how relatively benign those were, then go ask the locals how many american heads they want to cut off on video

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Tangent: for anyone who hasn't seen this, it's The Fog of War, a fantastic documentary where Errol Morris interviews former SecDef McNamara. If you haven't yet sat down and soaked this one up, you really should. It provides a whole lot of insight into... the way things were back then.

e: posted video too soon, not the right one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Grand jury just came out and said there will be no criminal indictment regarding the death of Tamir Rice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Naked Bear posted:

Tangent: for anyone who hasn't seen this, it's The Fog of War, a fantastic documentary where Errol Morris interviews former SecDef McNamara. If you haven't yet sat down and soaked this one up, you really should. It provides a whole lot of insight into... the way things were back then.

The fog of war is a great film. It's available free on youtube.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Grand jury just came out and said there will be no criminal indictment regarding the death of Tamir Rice.

So now that cops have the all clear to try it, what's the ideal speed for executing a sweet forward roll as you jump out of the moving car before bringing the gun to bear? 15mph?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was just looking for it, and it's no longer available for free. :(

e: And now I can't find my DVD copy of it. gently caress.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

weird how being brutally occupied will cause a lot of hatred

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

Bit of movie nerd poo poo: they used a teleprompter video setup so the dude could interview mcnamara on the teleprompter. That way they could make it look like mcnamara is talking right to the viewer.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Fog of War is really good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Naked Bear posted:

I was just looking for it, and it's no longer available for free. :(

e: And now I can't find my DVD copy of it. gently caress.

Here's part one on dailymotion http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw68h9_the-fog-of-war-part-1_news

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Smiling Jack posted:

Fog of War is really good.

This.

Also really good because it gives you a really good perspective on the Gulf of Tonkin incident that isn't pure boiled "LBJ AND MCNAMARA MADE THE WHOLE THING UP!"

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This.

Also really good because it gives you a really good perspective on the Gulf of Tonkin incident that isn't pure boiled "LBJ AND MCNAMARA MADE THE WHOLE THING UP!"

I was in high school when that went down, and I remember thinking "who cares, why are they making such a big deal" Turns out LBJ wanted to make a big deal of it.

also, from Wikipedia, that unimpeachable source:
In 1995, former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara met with former Vietnam People's Army General Võ Nguyên Giáp to ask what happened on 4 August 1964 in the second Gulf of Tonkin Incident. "Absolutely nothing", Giáp replied.[5] Giáp claimed that the attack had been imaginary.[6]

In 2005, an internal National Security Agency historical study was declassified; it concluded that Maddox had engaged the North Vietnamese Navy on August 2, but that there were no North Vietnamese naval vessels present during the incident of August 4. The report stated regarding the first incident on August 2 that "at 1500G,[note 1] Captain Herrick ordered Ogier's gun crews to open fire if the boats approached within ten thousand yards. At about 1505G,[note 1] the Maddox fired three rounds to warn off the communist boats. This initial action was never reported by the Johnson administration, which insisted that the Vietnamese boats fired first."[7]

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was in high school when that went down, and I remember thinking "who cares, why are they making such a big deal" Turns out LBJ wanted to make a big deal of it.

also, from Wikipedia, that unimpeachable source:
In 1995, former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara met with former Vietnam People's Army General Võ Nguyên Giáp to ask what happened on 4 August 1964 in the second Gulf of Tonkin Incident. "Absolutely nothing", Giáp replied.[5] Giáp claimed that the attack had been imaginary.[6]

In 2005, an internal National Security Agency historical study was declassified; it concluded that Maddox had engaged the North Vietnamese Navy on August 2, but that there were no North Vietnamese naval vessels present during the incident of August 4. The report stated regarding the first incident on August 2 that "at 1500G,[note 1] Captain Herrick ordered Ogier's gun crews to open fire if the boats approached within ten thousand yards. At about 1505G,[note 1] the Maddox fired three rounds to warn off the communist boats. This initial action was never reported by the Johnson administration, which insisted that the Vietnamese boats fired first."[7]

I agree that LBJ and McNamara made what was really a trivial thing it into a bigger deal in order to ramp up escalation. The issue I have is that the common "Amerikkka" logic/story I run into is that they both fabricated the entire event from start to finish (not true), rather than just taking what was a couple of over excited sonarmen/watch officers reports on false (though what they at the time believed to be accurate) sonar readings and seeing those reports escalate in nature/scale as it went up the chain.

The escalation in Vietnam was going to happen at some point regardless, they just happened to go with the Tonkin incident first rather than wait for some over cause.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I agree that LBJ and McNamara made what was really a trivial thing it into a bigger deal in order to ramp up escalation. The issue I have is that the common "Amerikkka" logic I run into is that they both fabricated the entire event from start to finish (not true), rather than just taking what was a couple of over excited sonarmen/watch officers reports on false (though what they at the time believed to be accurate) sonar readings and seeing those reports escalate in nature/scale as it went up the chain.

The escalation in Vietnam was going to happen at some point regardless, they just happened to go with the Tonkin incident first rather than wait for some over cause.

Yeah, agreed. I recently finished reading We Were Soldiers Once and Young (based on the book thread itf) and recall a passage where Moore is saying that LBJ wanted to do a horse trade with the North involving industrializing the Mekong for them (which fits my faint recollection, and also LBJ's character to a T) but they refused to negotiate as long as the U.S. was bombing Hanoi (duh) and LBJ got pissed off.

There's another passage right after Ia Drang, where LBJ, McNamara, Westmoreland and everybody are in a meeting determining how many bodies it's gonna take to succeed. McNamara said (in his best nerd stats guy voice, no doubt) something about the 400k soldiers Westmoreland was requesting that it would still only be a 1 in 3 or 50-50 chance of winning, at best. Looks like they ignored that, huh.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Looks like Lemmy just passed away. RIP in piece warty faced dude. :(

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
drat Lemmy died:(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

RIP Lemmy :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwC2QljLn4

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Trick question, Lemmy is god, therefore he cannot be dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBDkwa_WrU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mr. Nice! posted:

the one he did on Rumsfeld (Known Unknown I think) is also really good

I mean if you can get past your uncontrollable urge to reach through the TV and mercilessly beat Rummy to death

Fog of War is great because it shows just how much McNamara regrets and/or is haunted by what he did. Known Unknown is interesting to watch for the exact opposite reason. Dude completely hosed up US foreign policy for the next 25 years (not to mention several thousand US personnel dead plus the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who died) and regrets literally nothing.

Also since the Gulf of Tonkin incident came up, Dereliction of Duty is required reading on the subject of how and why we got entangled in Vietnam in the early '60s.

LBJ and McNamara may not have made the whole thing up, but they're still both colossal pieces of poo poo; also every single one of the JCS in the early '60s was a gutless coward.

• Locked thread