Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I gained some weight a few years ago and was 5'7" and 175 pounds before I lost the weight and absolutely no one would think that I looked threatening in the least (hey I'm white). That's really not that big especially depending on where the weight is and it's totally reasonable to point out this kid is 12 and the people arguing that his size was the reason he was shot are full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cole posted:

Saying that someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds looks older than 12 years old is dog whistle racism?

How big are the 12 year olds around where you live?

It. Doesn't. Matter. Its a red herring. The fact that prosecution even brought it up as a way to defend should be enough for you stop defending it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

It's unreal that people can claim that with a straight face. In Georgia, police have full access to grand jury proceedings, can have a lawyer present and are allowed to make an unrebutted statement to the grand jury. But they're just like us
Can you cite this? I don't understand how an unrebutted statement could even work. Like they can walk up to the grand jury say "2+2=5" and the grand jury isn't allowed to ask later people what is 2+2?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

It. Doesn't. Matter. Its a red herring. The fact that prosecution even brought it up as a way to defend should be enough for you stop defending it.

It was brought up way before I "defended" it. I agree it doesn't matter if Tamir Rice looked six or 60. The shoot was unjustified. But harping on it as bullshit (which was done in this thread before I ever commented on it) actually bolsters the cop's defense because it is the only believable thing he said in his entire statement.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Radish posted:

Tamir's alleged hugeness is a stupid red herring. (btw this is him in his Hulked out glory)

THIS PERSON IS BIG seems like a really dangerous precedent for summary extrajudicial executions but I'm not a prosecutor so what do I know?

:siren:gang signs!!:siren:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Tamir's height is median for a 15 year old boy, and 20th percentile for an 18 year old.

He looked like a child.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Raerlynn posted:

I get what you're saying, but the point here is that even if the kid turned green and cracked the earth with fists the size of garbage cans, is funny how this detail comes out NOW, when we've had literally a year to review that footage.

That's before we even get into "why the gently caress did you roll up into melee range if you were that scared of him". It's a cop out lie, pure and simple.

I thought the guy who shot him wasn't driving?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Radish posted:

Tamir's alleged hugeness is a stupid red herring. (btw this is him in his Hulked out glory)

THIS PERSON IS BIG seems like a really dangerous precedent for summary extrajudicial executions but I'm not a prosecutor so what do I know?

He must have big bones if he's 195 pounds there.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

fosborb posted:

Tamir's height is median for a 15 year old boy, and 20th percentile for an 18 year old.

He looked like a child.
What about his weight? And as others have said, why does it matter? Or does it only "not matter" when I say something about it?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Cole posted:

It was brought up way before I "defended" it. I agree it doesn't matter if Tamir Rice looked six or 60. The shoot was unjustified. But harping on it as bullshit (which was done in this thread before I ever commented on it) actually bolsters the cop's defense because it is the only believable thing he said in his entire statement.

the fact that he was 12 is a moral outrage, and is just one of many morally outrageous things about this case. that you can't understand this is telling.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
By unrebutted I think the poster means by the DA whose loving job it is to indict.

As for "look how big he was" I'm not going to get into an argument about height/weight averages for teens because it's completely irrelevant to the danger level of a pellet gun.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

How could he possibly weigh that much at 5'7" and not look comically overweight?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Um sorry but your child's puffy coat put about 20 pounds on him visually which put him out of the percentile of "cute kid" and into "scary adult" so we had to kill him."

The kid looks like a kid and if the officers couldn't tell then because his silhouette was large or whatever the gently caress they thought maybe they should have looked a little harder before killing him so casually. It's a garbage argument, it's irrelevant, and I feel like I'm being tricked even discussing it at all and giving it legitimacy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zas posted:

the fact that he was 12 is a moral outrage, and is just one of many morally outrageous things about this case. that you can't understand this is telling.

i can understand it.

what YOU can't understand is that he could possibly look older based on his height and weight, which is the one of the only factual things the cop said in his statement, and trying to refute it isn't going to help discredit the person who pulled the trigger.

I don't think it's wrong of me to want people to focus on things that are actually wrong in this case. Saying he looked older is not wrong. Everything else is. So it isn't wrong to want people to focus on the "everything else."

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

twodot posted:

Can you cite this? I don't understand how an unrebutted statement could even work. Like they can walk up to the grand jury say "2+2=5" and the grand jury isn't allowed to ask later people what is 2+2?

They make a statement and that's that. No cross-examination or anything like that. Not really too confusing to me. http://investigations.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/16/police-special-privileges-in-shooting-cases-face-challenge/

quote:

Georgia is the only state that allows an officer to be in the grand jury room the entire proceeding, hear all the evidence against them and close out the proceeding with a statement that can’t be questioned by prosecutors or grand jurors

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Cole posted:

Saying he looked older is not wrong.

you sure about that?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

i can understand it.

what YOU can't understand is that he could possibly look older based on his height and weight, which is the one of the only factual things the cop said in his statement, and trying to refute it isn't going to help discredit the person who pulled the trigger.

I don't think it's wrong of me to want people to focus on things that are actually wrong in this case. Saying he looked older is not wrong. Everything else is. So it isn't wrong to want people to focus on the "everything else."

If his age is not relevant to justifying the shooting, what is there to understand about the cops/DA claiming he looked older? It's not wrong because of the facts of the argument (which are completely irrelevant), it's wrong because it's not a loving excuse to shoot someone in the first place.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

i can understand it.

Cole would like to legitimize the Prosecution's claim that Tamir looked older than 12, therefore the shooting was justified and somehow this fact was important to bring up during a Grand Jury as proof that they needed to kill him.

Please stop Cole. You're embarrassing yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If his age is not relevant to justifying the shooting, what is there to understand about the cops/DA claiming he looked older? It's not wrong because of the facts of the argument (which are completely irrelevant), it's wrong because it's not a loving excuse to shoot someone in the first place.

I don't know. Why not ask the people who were talking a lot about it before I ever got here?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

Tamir looked older than 12, therefore the shooting was justified

If you can find where I said this I will donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

I don't know. Why not ask the people who were talking a lot about it before I ever got here?

And you're engaging them and defending the cops/DA because...?

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I didn't even connect the dots that Georgia is an open carry state. That additional fact makes this entire thing even more disgusting. I really wonder how many extrajudicial killings this country needs before something actually changes. I'm guessing the answer is "depressingly high".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

Like the Grand Jury? They presented him looking older as evidence that the shooting was justified, yet here you are trying to say that somehow his age enters into their decision to drive up to a 12 year old with a pellet gun and shoot him through the passenger side window of their vehicle.

It was important enough that his appearance relative to his age was brought up in the officer's defense at the Grand Jury. So stop.

Pathos posted:

I didn't even connect the dots that Georgia is an open carry state. That additional fact makes this entire thing even more disgusting. I really wonder how many extrajudicial killings this country needs before something actually changes. I'm guessing the answer is "depressingly high".

This was in Cleveland. Which is still in an Open Carry state.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And you're engaging them and defending the cops/DA because...?

Because harping on the one justifiable part of the cop's statement doesn't help anything, and I would rather people help the cause rather than hurt the cause.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

He looks like maybe 15 at the oldest. What the cop thought at the time is unfalsifiable, but by that standard we'd never convict anyone of any crime.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pathos posted:

The people electing these guys apparently support it so...

Lyesh posted:

He looks like maybe 15 at the oldest. What the cop thought at the time is unfalsifiable, but by that standard we'd never convict anyone of any crime.

If the standard for cops was used for every other citizen we'd have no need for jails. I'm told these are the same for everyone but somehow people end up in prison regardless.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

Because harping on the one justifiable part of the cop's statement doesn't help anything, and I would rather people help the cause rather than hurt the cause.

But it's not a justifiable part of the statement, since it is not relevant to the shooting regardless of accuracy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

They used his appearance as justification to shoot on sight. And you don't see why we're upset about that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

Like the Grand Jury? They presented him looking older as evidence that the shooting was justified, yet here you are trying to say that somehow his age enters into their decision to drive up to a 12 year old with a pellet gun and shoot him through the passenger side window of their vehicle.

It was important enough that his appearance relative to his age was brought up in the officer's defense at the Grand Jury. So stop.

Actually, I just said that it's possible someone who is 5'7" and 195 pounds could look older than 12, which a lot of people seem to disagree with.

And I said that because, as I've stated multiple times, it is silly to give any focus to the one part of the officer's statement that can be considered justifiable, which some people have been doing, rather than all of the other stupid poo poo he did.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Will someone please explain to me how weight works I seriously cannot understand how someone who looks how Tamir does in the photos could weigh 195 at 5'7".

E: like, scientifically.

E: how does he weigh 40 pounds more than me at 4 inches shorter and not looked muscled or fat??

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

5'7" is the average height of 15 year old boys in America. So really, if you think the "looked older" part justifies it, you're basically saying that killing 15 year olds is ok.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

And I said that because, as I've stated multiple times, it is silly to give any focus to the one part of the officer's statement that can be considered justifiable, which some people have been doing, rather than all of the other stupid poo poo he did.

Again, its not justifiable. Because their argument, and this is key and what you've been glossing over, is that his appearance as to his age allowed them, in their words, to engage him with gunfire out of fear of their own safety.

From the passenger seat of the cruiser.

That they pulled up next to him from less than 5 feet away.

If he looked so loving old and scary, why the gently caress did they pull up to him like a McDonalds drive through?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

They used his appearance as justification to shoot on sight. And you don't see why we're upset about that.

CommieGIR posted:

Again, its not justifiable. Because their argument, and this is key and what you've been glossing over, is that his appearance as to his age allowed them, in their words, to engage him with gunfire out of fear of their own safety.

From the passenger seat of the cruiser.

That they pulled up next to him from less than 5 feet away.

See, this is your problem. You are connecting dots that aren't there.

His size isn't justification for the shoot, but thinking he looks older than 12 based on his size is justifiable. If I saw Tamir Rice from a distance at the mall or at the grocery store and thought he was older than 12, that would be a justifiable thought.

Now, the cop didn't see him from a distance. He pulled up to him and went Jet Li action movie. That's something to focus on.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

he could be 30 and 300 lbs and not change the fact that in an open carry state a cop killed someone from a car before it even fully stopped accelerating

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

His size isn't justification for the shoot, but thinking he looks older than 12 based on his size is justifiable. If I saw Tamir Rice from a distance at the mall or at the grocery store and thought he was older than 12, that would be a justifiable thought.

joeburz posted:

he could be 30 and 300 lbs and not change the fact that in an open carry state a cop killed someone from a car before it even fully stopped accelerating

He could've been a loving 30 year old NBA star and this would still be wrong.

Age does NOT ENTER INTO the justification to shoot to kill. Ever. At all.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

Will someone please explain to me how weight works I seriously cannot understand how someone who looks how Tamir does in the photos could weigh 195 at 5'7".

E: how does he weigh 40 pounds more than me at 4 inches shorter and not looked muscled or fat??

I don't know the dating of the photos of him. A person who was under 6' tall, and going on 200 would look obese, especially an under-15 year old. Even then, you don't 'look older' just because a kid is heavier. Whatever mistakes the officer made and should be criticized for apparently wasn't enough to convince the jury, but the argument the 12 year old resembled a hulking adult, is the one they used, overwhelmingly in their choice not to indict.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

He could've been a loving 30 year old NBA star and this would still be wrong.

Age does NOT ENTER INTO the justification to shoot to kill. Ever. At all.

I never said it did, so thanks for the irrelevant comment?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Cole, yes someone who is 5'7" and 195lb could look older but that kid sure does not.

The Kingfish posted:

Today they're saying he weighed 175 which seems more reasonable if that picture isn't old.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm starting to feel "is saying that a 5'7" twelve year old is big enough to be shot as an adult a fair complaint?" is this thread's "lets argue flashing your brights is against the law so it's your own fault when the police pull you out of your car and shoot you for five pages."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

I never said it did, so thanks for the irrelevant comment?

No, you're just here saying that their statement about his age was justified, while conveniently forgetting that they used this justification in a Grand Jury to legitimize shooting him.

But hey, keep on arguing about it.

• Locked thread