Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no fuckin' way on Earth that BB-8 isn't going to be in the next one. He is the most marketable toy the new Star Wars films have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- There's pretty much no reason for BB8 to be in the next one, since he's completed his Get the Map mission. I'll miss him! (They'll probably force some reason for him to be prominent in Ep 8 though)

Yeah remember when R2D2 completed his mission of delivering the Death Star plans and he was never seen again?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- There's pretty much no reason for BB8 to be in the next one, since he's completed his Get the Map mission. I'll miss him! (They'll probably force some reason for him to be prominent in Ep 8 though)

BB8 is Poe's equivalent of R2D2. He'll probably be in Poe's scenes like R2 was in Luke's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Fast droids are like fast zombies. Once they appear, there's no going back.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Yeah the "it was snoke" thing had me cringe so hard in a movie that was otherwise completely uncringeworthy

Except with how much of a pussy kylo is. Reminds me of the nerdy guy from Grandmas Boy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah remember when R2D2 completed his mission of delivering the Death Star plans and he was never seen again?

:thejoke:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kylo fuckin owned.

I really like the whole direction they took him with the being 'tempted' by the light. The thought of someone just not having it in them to be grimdark 100% of the time is a nice twist to the standard boring sith deal they always have going on. I kind of hope that he's doing the long con, where he's actually a good guy who is trying to eliminate the sith / other dark side users, and the only way he thinks he can is to infiltrate them. Some of the scenes he was in were ambiguous enough to make me think it's a possibility, like when he's talking to Vader's helmet. The whole "I will finish what you started" deal could mean a couple things, one of which is potentially destroying the last of the Sith, like Vader.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Han/Kylo bridge showdown. How did you interpret it?

I thought Kylo was maybe struggling but his plan was definitely to 'betray' Han from the get go. He says something along the lines of "I know what I need to do but I don't know if I can, help me". Han, and the audience, interprets this as him wanting to come over to the light. But what he actually means is he must kill his father to truly join the dark side/begin his training as a sith. He extends his light saber but refuses to let go when Han grabs it. You can see the look of surprise on Han's face as Kylo wrestles it into position. That's how I saw it.

Anyway, the whole "the galactic senate moves around, Couscant wasn't vaporised" thing was news to me. How badly was the republic fleet damaged by Starkiller base? I think Leia or someone says the republic will be sitting ducks without their fleet, as if it had been destroyed. But that seems unlikely, if TNO have the resources to build such a weapon, the Republic must have quite a vast fleet (and not be stupid enough to station all of it close together. But then again, Star Wars). I figured only The Resistance attacked the base because The Republic was reeling from the first attack and the weapon was set to fire again in like half an hour once they had any battle plans ready.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mon Mothma demilitarized the Republic (cut the army down to a tiny fraction), and the fleet follows the senate around :thumbsup:

It got exploded. The big picture is that the good and bad guys are on equal footing now, despite the Republic's 30 year head start.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Did anyone have somebody walk out of the theater after Han gets iced? I counted one dude at mine.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Snoke has to be either one of people from the Empire that fled after ROTJ to "find the source of the Dark Side" and became corrupted by the Dark Side or an old Sith they revived/discovered/awoke when they went there. I cannot imagine that they wrote that in Aftermath if that isnt where they were going to be drawing the new baddies from.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kaedric posted:

Kylo fuckin owned.

I really like the whole direction they took him with the being 'tempted' by the light. The thought of someone just not having it in them to be grimdark 100% of the time is a nice twist to the standard boring sith deal they always have going on. I kind of hope that he's doing the long con, where he's actually a good guy who is trying to eliminate the sith / other dark side users, and the only way he thinks he can is to infiltrate them. Some of the scenes he was in were ambiguous enough to make me think it's a possibility, like when he's talking to Vader's helmet. The whole "I will finish what you started" deal could mean a couple things, one of which is potentially destroying the last of the Sith, like Vader.

Actually, they're most likely going with the irony route. The more Kylo tries to be like Vader, the less he ends up like him. Vader wouldn't kill his son, but Kylo killed his father. Vader came back to the light side, and Kylo is moving further away from it. Vader was in control of his character, and Kylo is totally out of control. So we aren't likely to see him getting redeemed.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Han/Kylo bridge showdown. How did you interpret it?

Han thinks that he can bring Kylo home by just reminding him that he has a family to come home to, and it almost works. All of Kylo's temptation by the light is to set up that he is legitimately considering taking Han up on it, but he ignites the saber during the split second where he summons the resolve to stay on the dark side.

People are whining that Kylo Ren isn't scary, but I think that his dopiness is going to make him more dangerous than Vader was. If he was some hot poo poo Sith who knew he was hot poo poo, he wouldn't have felt the need to kill Han. But Kylo Ren is a man with something to prove, and that makes him unpredictable, it means he might do something irrational if he thinks it will make him more like Vader. The temper tantrums were funny in this movie, but I'd put money on Ep8 showing a human on the receiving end of one of those.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Obstacle2 posted:

Snoke is a dumb name for the evil leader of the bad guys. It would have been fine for some dude sitting in a corner in Maz's place.

Also Jabba's name is perfect.

Snoke is a terrible name. It sounds like a name of someone in Harry Potter (like Snape?) This is especially the case when you make the decision to have guy look like he's Voldemort.

I couldn't escape the feeling that Voldemort escaped to Star Wars and needs to destroy the Republic if his planned revenge on Harry Potter is to succeed.

In other news, I've thought about it all week and I like the film less and less. It's almost completely derivative of the original series--scene for scene--and the plot feels almost entirely derived from Episode IV.

And that's not getting into all of the confusing "A, B, C, D, E... Z," which either does not make sense or in some way breaks continuity.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kaedric posted:

Kylo fuckin owned.

What was great about Kylo is that I already feel like I understand his entire motivation without hardly a paragraph of script devoted to it. He had a rough childhood-- his parents were both war veterans; one is a politician and the other is a known delinquent who we can all assume goes back to his old ways pretty quickly. Luke trains him and probably shows him the Force the same way he ultimately learned it-- that you need to face your inner darkness and learn to deal with it instead of trying to expunge negative feelings. But because his upbringing, it backfires and he embraces that darkness and the promise of power and emotional release that it offers.

When he's speaking to Vader's helmet he asks it to show him again the power of the Dark Side-- he knows that he's walked down a seemingly irreversible path, and he needs to be convinced that it was the right decision, because he feels conflict inside himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kulkasha posted:

Did anyone have somebody walk out of the theater after Han gets iced? I counted one dude at mine.

Maybe they just had to piss.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kulkasha posted:

My entire theater was struck so silent you could hear a pin drop when that happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope Snoke is like fifty feet tall and the hologram was actually making him smaller instead of bigger.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Empress Theonora posted:

My entire theater was struck so silent you could hear a pin drop when that happened.

I read zero spoilers and this event was so obvious to me the moment we find out Ren is Hans son.

I even immediately identified when it was going to happen. Look, he's walking out onto a bridge--derived from the scene where Luke is first confronted with the fact he is Vader's son. A bridge over a pit. I bet Han is somehow thrown into the Abyss--derivative of the Emperors death scene in Return of the Jedi.

It was all so obvious that the scene evoked zero emotion from me at all.

Edit

Really, from the standpoint of a movie in a pre existing series of films, the movie was a unoriginal piece of garbage. If I could better divorce myself from the fact this movie was situated in an ongoing cinematic story consisting of 6 previous movies, it would have been drat good. Not with the huge scope and gravitas of the original (again forget about context), but very entertaining and pretty compelling.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 28, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Snoke is a terrible name.

Villain who appears only as a hologram - "smoke and mirrors" - "smoke" - Snoke

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope Snoke is like fifty feet tall and the hologram was actually making him smaller instead of bigger.

This.

I also hope they don't ruin Fin by making him a Jedi.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

ZombieLenin posted:

I read zero spoilers and this event was so obvious to me the moment we find out Ren is Hans son.

I even immediately identified when it was going to happen. Look, he's walking out onto a bridge--derived from the scene where Luke is first confronted with the fact he is Vader's son. A bridge over a pit. I bet Han is somehow thrown into the Abyss--derivative of the Emperors death scene in Return of the Jedi.

We got a real bad rear end movie watcher over here.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Kylo Ren bows only before the new leader of the sith, Dark Lord Snooki

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It must be a bummer to only be capable of having an emotional reaction to things if you're surprised by them.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

DStecks posted:

DStecks posted:

You mean exactly like Palpatine in episode IV and V or like Sidious in episode I & II?
Let me guess, we will see Snoke for real in episode IX?

I really should forget this thread exists because it keeps digging the hole deeper--in my mind at least--for The Force Awakens.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ZombieLenin posted:

You mean exactly like Palpatine in episode IV and V or like Sidious in episode I & II?
Let me guess, we will see Snoke for real in episode IX?

I really should forget this thread exists because it keeps digging the hole deeper--in my mind at least--for The Force Awakens.

Egad! A visual and thematic continuity was maintained among these films somehow! How did they know my one weakness?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

Really, from the standpoint of a movie in a pre existing series of films, the movie was a unoriginal piece of garbage. If I could better divorce myself from the fact this movie was situated in an ongoing cinematic story consisting of 6 previous movies, it would have been drat good. Not with the huge scope and gravitas of the original (again forget about context), but very entertaining and pretty compelling.

This is how I would imagine Hux posts on message boards. Why are you trying so hard to convince yourself not to enjoy it, when you already agree that its a good movie?

Actually, don't answer that. Let the hate flow through you.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm not sure why predicting an event makes it lose any of its impact, unless of course you don't give a poo poo about Han or what he's gone through since we last saw him.

quote:

Edit

Really, from the standpoint of a movie in a pre existing series of films, the movie was a unoriginal piece of garbage.

You don't know what "original" actually means.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jedit posted:

^^^ Vader is German for "father", though.

Lee's last work was for a children's computer game called Eggbird that he made with Mel Croucher just a couple of months before he passed, and he was just as invested in that. He did an awful lot of things for the money in his fallow period between the end of Hammer and being cast as Saruman, but he never gave less than his all.

Seeing even bad movies with him in it is a treat, just because he lifts a movie by his presence alone. Besides, one of my favorite horror/thriller movies is The Wicker Man, so he will forever get a pass from me.

As far as the Hobbit, he was a giant Tolkien nerd, so he would of course want to be a part of them. He was not the reason they sucked.

DStecks posted:

Han thinks that he can bring Kylo home by just reminding him that he has a family to come home to, and it almost works. All of Kylo's temptation by the light is to set up that he is legitimately considering taking Han up on it, but he ignites the saber during the split second where he summons the resolve to stay on the dark side.

People are whining that Kylo Ren isn't scary, but I think that his dopiness is going to make him more dangerous than Vader was. If he was some hot poo poo Sith who knew he was hot poo poo, he wouldn't have felt the need to kill Han. But Kylo Ren is a man with something to prove, and that makes him unpredictable, it means he might do something irrational if he thinks it will make him more like Vader. The temper tantrums were funny in this movie, but I'd put money on Ep8 showing a human on the receiving end of one of those.

Ren might go berserker rage in ep8. That would be interesting.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, they're most likely going with the irony route. The more Kylo tries to be like Vader, the less he ends up like him. Vader wouldn't kill his son, but Kylo killed his father. Vader came back to the light side, and Kylo is moving further away from it. Vader was in control of his character, and Kylo is totally out of control. So we aren't likely to see him getting redeemed.

Kylo Ren is basically Luke had he decided to go dark side. Hux is Luke had he joined the empire and made a career of it and never heard a thing about the force. Poe Dameron is practically Luke had he ignored the Ben vision on Hoth. Finn had he become a stormtrooper, he probably would have defected to the rebels also. I absolutely agree that Kylo Ren wont be redeemed, they will do a fake out though. Would be a good way to get to Leia and I don't put it passed his character to go through all that trouble to accomplish something, after failing hard with Starkiller/Rey.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Viller posted:

I absolutely agree that Kylo Ren wont be redeemed, they will do a fake out though. Would be a good way to get to Leia and I don't put it passed his character to go through all that trouble to accomplish something, after failing hard with Starkiller/Rey.

They already did the fake out.

Leia is unlikely to fall for it, since she's Luke's sister and would sense Kylo's bullshit.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Not that anybody asked, but here's my father's synopsis of Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

lizardman's Dad posted:

It's a sad tale of a man who gets killed doing what his wife wanted him to do, after he told her there was nothing that could be done to fix the situation. The moral of the story is: Men - do what you know is right, even if the women you love wants you to do something else."

He's been through two divorces, so...

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Doronin posted:

If the Aftermath book is any indication, odds are that it's some planet they hid around while they started to rebuild. At the end of that book, we're introduced to some yet-unnamed Fleet Admiral with a Super Star Destroyer in his command, and everyone presumed this mystery man dead. So there are elements to the First Order, from the very outset, that not even other remnants of the former Empire are aware of.

Episode 8 speculation: I really hope this unnamed admiral is Benicio Del Toro as Thrawn. Del Toro was Rian Johnson's first choice for episode 8's villain and he resembles Thrawn, so I think it's likely.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Viller posted:

Kylo Ren is basically Luke had he decided to go dark side. Hux is Luke had he joined the empire and made a career of it and never heard a thing about the force. Poe Dameron is practically Luke had he ignored the Ben vision on Hoth. Finn had he become a stormtrooper, he probably would have defected to the rebels also.

It's Lukes all the way down!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I've tried to keep up with the thread so maybe this has been discussed already, but have we talked about Rey's skills in/proclivities for fixing poo poo and being nice to droids as a way of showing a potential relation to Anakin?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's Lukes all the way down!

poo poo, all I got are Luukes over here. :smith:

edit: wait, there's a Luuuke as well? Holy moly, EU.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 28, 2015

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

To be fair I do think that Rey and Finn do split some of the Lukeness. She of course has the whole thing with being the jedi and the Chosen one, but generally comes off as more competent within the first movie. Finn takes a lot of the more early noviceness of Luke in my opinion. I do wonder what will happen with him in the later movies though, leaving him as basically Han but with early movie Luke's general level of competence outside of the Death STar run would make him come off as a side kick which I think would suck.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kaedric posted:

Kylo fuckin owned.

I liked that too - a little twist on the good guy tempted by the bad

But the actor looks like a fuckin nerd and the scrawny weasel thing just killed the character for me once he took his helmet off

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

oswald ownenstein posted:

But the actor looks like a fuckin nerd and the scrawny weasel thing just killed the character for me once he took his helmet off

That's an essential aspect of the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

I liked that too - a little twist on the good guy tempted by the bad

The actor looking like a complete nerd once he took off his scary wannabe Vader helmet is a pretty central part of who the character is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I saw the movie for a second time last night and enjoyed it more. A lot of the issues I had, like death star 3.0 and the chain of coincidences aka the will of the force, didn't bother me on the rewatch. Instead of a jarring "oh come on" reveal when han and chewie board the falcon, I felt excited knowing they were coming in screen.

Compared to phantom menace where I dread a solid hour of the film I won't have a problem watching this in 10 years. the light saber duel is even better for me the second time paying more attention to the actors instead of trying to follow the action.

Still mystified at jj not understanding space. Trek and wars both have the reaction shot to a planet exploding overhead despite being light years apart

• Locked thread