Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've gone three days with only minimal interactions with the general public. I feel better than I have since I got back to Canada at the beginning of June!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PT6A posted:

I've gone three days with only minimal interactions with the general public. I feel better than I have since I got back to Canada at the beginning of June!

Oh boy, do I have just the thing for you!

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

If that's the worst Boxing Day can get out of Canada, a fist fight and calm talk afterwards, I'd say that's a win. The American version would be a lot shorter, involve guns and maybe one local right-wing politician tweeting a thoughts-and-prayers for the victims.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't the giant Sega Playdium across the street from there?

ftfy, formerly for obvious Sega reasons. And yes, just across the street.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
"But americans are worse"

:qqsay:

literally every canadian thinks this

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

"But americans are worse"

:qqsay:

literally every canadian thinks this

Mostly because it's true :v: How did you spend the christmas season CI?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baudin posted:

Mostly because it's true :v: How did you spend the christmas season CI?

Santa gave him coal wrapped in pure spite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Arguing that you're not so bad because someone else is worse is sophistry, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There won't be a referendum on electoral reform.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-wont-hold-referendum-on-voting-reform/article27942303/

The Globe made a story of this, after Dominic Leblanc was on Question Period on CTV on the weekend. “Our plan is not to have a national referendum. Our plan is to use Parliament to consult Canadians. That has always been our plan and I don’t have any reason to think that’s been changed," he says.

I know Ontario tried electoral reform many years ago by putting it on the ballot during the 2007 election, I think, and it failed miserably, something like 30% voted in favour of getting rid of FPTP. I have to wonder if the same result would happen if it was put to a nationwide vote.

This is funny, though:

G&M posted:

Wilfred Day, a lawyer who is a member of the national council of Fair Vote Canada, which promotes electoral reform, says the Liberals won a majority on a promise to make every vote count and that means they already have a mandate to bring in proportional representation.

Because any form of proportional representation would require changing electoral boundaries, he said, there is not enough time to hold a referendum in which voters have time to digest all of the complicated information and time to redraw constituencies before the next election in 2019.

Abandoning proportional representation and moving instead to a ranked ballot without a referendum is “definitely not” something that Fair Vote Canada would support, Mr. Day said. But he said he is not worried that that is even a possibility.

“I don’t think the Liberals would dare pull a bait and switch and bring in the ranked ballot, which does nothing except help the Liberal Party,” Mr. Day said. “It doesn’t fulfill the promise to make every vote count.”

:mmmhmm:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Conservatives are going to lose their loving poo poo if when they change the election process

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Isizzlehorn posted:

If that's the worst Boxing Day can get out of Canada, a fist fight and calm talk afterwards, I'd say that's a win. The American version would be a lot shorter, involve guns and maybe one local a bunch of right-wing politician tweeting a thoughts-and-prayers for the victims second amendment.

ftfy

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Professor Shark posted:

Conservatives are going to lose their loving poo poo if when they change the election process

Judging by online comments sections, they already have.

I am very wary of this announcement. While government decisions are not normally subject to a referendum, this is a very special sort of decision and one where the public might rightly expect to have a say. That said, I do appreciate that previous referenda have been defeated by campaigns of fearmongering that capitalize on voter ignorance. It would be a painful irony to have a change that would ultimately enhance democracy in Canada be defeated by democratic forces.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
The people should have a voice (except when they make bad decisions)

go democracy!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

The people should have a voice (except when they make bad decisions)

go democracy!

Let's just acknowledge that we all made a mistake and the Trudeaus are Canada's natural ruling bloodline. We'd've been better off with King Pierre for the last 20 years or so.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Oh hey, you guys were complaining about teh referendum for electoral reform first because "The public will just vote against it like in BC and Ontario". But now it's a prime example of Lib gonna Lib?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Why would the Liberals need an expensive referendum when they could just use C-51 to check our sentiment?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They ran on a platform of getting rid of FPTP, so they have a mandate for it. It's not like we have referendums when we redraw boundaries and (afaik) we never had a referendum to pick FPTP.

If they go to a referendum, they should save the money and not bother.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Ikantski posted:

Why would the Liberals need an expensive referendum when they could just use C-51 to check our sentiment?

We are cultural barbarians after all.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Democracy is a sham and should be abolished.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The government may not use Section 33 to override Section 3, so any change to the voting system will be litigated on the basis of denying the right to vote. They won't escape that one.

edit: unless the court denies standing, which I doubt it will. The government has a perfectly fair defence under Section 1.

edit: said legislated, meant litigated.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 28, 2015

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Woops we accidentally voted ourselves into a position we can't legally vote ourselves out of guess that's the way it's meant to be! *jumps off a cliff*

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

The government may not use Section Sunny Ways to override Section Heart Outwards, so any change to the voting system will be legislated on the basis of questioning the fabric of space and time. They won't escape that one.

edit: unless the court denies standing, which I doubt it will. The government has a perfectly fair defence under Section It's 2015.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Arguing that you're not so bad because someone else is worse is sophistry, though.

It's worked so far! :haw::canada:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Bunny what are the chances of ever seeing Justin branded selfie sticks

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Slightly Toasted posted:

Bunny what are the chances of ever seeing Justin branded selfie sticks

Pretty good

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
As a British Columbian, I'm pretty soured on the idea of referendums.

In the public eye, complex and nuanced issues become reduced to simplistic, misleading talking points, and fear and misinformation ultimately end up ruling the day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'm reasonably impressed that whoever's responsible for this sort of thing measured the mass of the selfie stick down to the tenth of a gram, though I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Butcher posted:

As a British Columbian, I'm pretty soured on the idea of referendums.

In the public eye, complex and nuanced issues become reduced to simplistic, misleading talking points, and fear and misinformation ultimately end up ruling the day.

Democracy can't function very well when the vast majority of the citizenry is disengaged and indifferent to political processes. Inevitably the people with the money or with ownership rights over big media are going to dominate elections or referendums.

This all comes back to how the rest of the economy is structured. If the vast majority of people are completely absorbed by the need to continuously sell their labour to survive then it should hardly be surprising that they mostly end up ignoring politics, leaving society to be dominated by the people who can live off their ownership of capital. There's a reason that the higher living standards of the mid 20th century coincided with the most dramatic upsurge of popular movements seeking to humanize society (fighting sexism, racism, imperialism, etc.) and there's also a reason that a central part of the neoliberal project has been to systematically strip away the economic security of the middle class: an economically insecure citizenry doesn't have as much spare time or energy to dedicate to politics and is much more vulnerable to the discipline of the market.

One of the chief problems with contemporary society is that we have political democracy without economic equality. Which means in practice that we don't have democracy at all but rather a system of organized bribery and pandering in which organized special interests loot the state at the expense of everyone else.

It is perhaps the special charm of our system, like other fraying 'social democracies', that a handful of public sector labour unions and middle class homeowners are allowed to feast on the scraps. But make no mistake, our government isn't a democracy in the sense of "rule by the Demos" that was envisioned by the pre-modern Ancients. The system we have is descended from less inspiring medieval examples and was never actually intended to be a mechanism for expressing the popular will.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And yet you dumb fucks still vote even when all the parties and candidates are garbage. You all deserve this.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

And yet you dumb fucks still vote even when all the parties and candidates are garbage. You all deserve this.

Try a little harder at least. :rolleyes:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

what if i voted straight ticket communist, huh. what then
(none of this namby-pamby CPC-ML poo poo either)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Butcher posted:

Try a little harder at least. :rolleyes:

It's a viable argument, honestly, even if I don't agree with it and even though the person delivering it (Cultural Imperial) is a notorious troll. Given how awful the major parties are who could be blamed for condemning the entire system?

I don't expect CI specifically is going to ever change his mind because of something that I write but when people express a desire to turn their backs altogether on electoral politics that's a reasonable, legitimate and in some cases even a healthy instinct for people to have. The first time I actually attended an NDP convention I was almost sick to my stomach at all the meddling and behind-the-scenes trickery involved. Modern politics is a disgusting business mostly run by morally compromised individuals. So if you want to convince people not to give up on politics you need to be ready to endure a lot of snark and sarcasm as you explain why you think it's worthwhile to participate.

Party politics can still be a way to organize people and to mobilize them around achieving concrete or specific goals -- usually resisting cuts or trying to halt a particularly odious development scheme -- and at the margins this kind of political action can make a real difference in terms of the quality of life of a lot of people. Besides which, the declining percentage of people bothering to vote has mostly made our lovely system even shittier.

Until there's some kind of halfway decent grassroots movement creating pressure for reform the NDP and the big labour unions -- as corrupt and inept as those institutions often are -- are the only game in town, and I don't think anything is gained by abandoning these organizations. As defunct as they've become they still represent the culmination of decades of struggle and abandoning them now would just mean they'll have to be rebuilt in the future.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

So if you want to convince people not to give up on politics you need to be ready to endure a lot of snark and sarcasm as you explain why you think it's worthwhile to participate.

I agree, and if it was anyone else saying something like that I'd give an honest attempt to explain why it's an unhelpful and self-defeating (if understandable) position.

That was just lazy even for CI though.

Keep the effort posts coming man. You could probably write and sell a book on the state of politics today and the actual concrete steps needed to fix things if you ever wanted to.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ambrose Burnside posted:

what if i voted straight ticket communist, huh. what then
(none of this namby-pamby CPC-ML poo poo either)

the marxist leninist party is the one thats the actual communist party. they split from the cpc because they are revisionaries.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Which is the one that thought Enver "Bunkers" Hoxha was the man to emulate?

Because yes Vancouver would be vastly improved by 700,000 concrete bunkers in random places.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Which is the one that thought Enver "Bunkers" Hoxha was the man to emulate?

Because yes Vancouver would be vastly improved by 700,000 concrete bunkers in random places.

CPC-ML. They also became a pseudo-cult idolizing the founder, Hardial Banes.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Saw this on Reddit and had to share. I had no idea what a shithole Chilliwack is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7k08Ytdq4

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You see the wanton disregard for anyone else in that video? That p. much sums up all of the lower mainland.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canuckistan posted:

Saw this on Reddit and had to share. I had no idea what a shithole Chilliwack is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7k08Ytdq4

Hard working rural canadians, real canada.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Outside of the loneliest suburban streets, you'll see that poo poo anywhere you stick a night camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
The only thing missing is the pervasive smell of cow poo poo.

At least there`s hope that large parts of Chilliwack will eventually be cleansed by the purifying waters of the mighty Fraser.