Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm almost done getting my 3 Crabs maxed on basic mods so I can go elite. Just around 10k more exp on my 27b and I'm gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

the shield arms are so big and the twist rate/structure bonuses are so high that you can get away with an XL

I run (roughly) this and go about 3/1 K/D in it, and most deaths come when I'm out of ammo or drat close to it:

GRF-3M

The 3M doesn't have any torso twist rate bonuses :confused:

The 2N (ECM) variant does, though; but lacks the torso structure bonuses of the 3M.

I usually run a 300 STD with 2 jets and 5 tons of ammo instead of 330 XL with 4 jets and 6 tons, but I can't boast a 3.0 KDR in it. I shelved it before the SRM buffs because I couldn't loving stand trying to play a brawler at the time. Now it's fantastic!

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Just wanted to chime in and say that the Griffin is a Good Robot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

novaSphere posted:

The 3M doesn't have any torso twist rate bonuses :confused:

The 2N (ECM) variant does, though; but lacks the torso structure bonuses of the 3M.

I usually run a 300 STD with 2 jets and 5 tons of ammo instead of 330 XL with 4 jets and 6 tons, but I can't boast a 3.0 KDR in it. I shelved it before the SRM buffs because I couldn't loving stand trying to play a brawler at the time. Now it's fantastic!

I worded that poorly -- the big XL engine lets you twist very quickly. all the Griffins are p. good robots now!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I have more mechs than when I stopped playing in open beta- namely, an AS7-S (L) and an (L)... Hunchback? (Some medium mech, I can't check right now.)

Were these a bonus at some point?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a cent AH, and yep.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, you got an Atlas, Centurion and King Crab "Loyalty" variant for paying money and poo poo at some point. You also may have gotten a Wolverine or a Cicada or other non-notable variants.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Should I be dumb and buy the $20 Archer pack? The Archer is a cool-looking robot.

The $20 are actually pretty good deals tbh, especially if you preorder. I wasn't playing actively but I regret not buying the $20 Marauder pack.
Marauder pack has 2 XL300 engines. The Archer pack has 2 XL 280s which are useful as well, but not as good a deal as 2 XL300s.

The preorder bonuses are actually pretty good: 6.5mil cbills, modules, some random extra junk.

Worst case scenario, you pay $20 for 30 days premium time, 3 mech bays, 6.5mil cbills, a few modules, and 2 XL 280 engines.

However, don't listen to me, because I make many poor financial decisions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The robot packs are only a few more dollars than the premium time, and come with tons of extra poo poo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My only complaint about the 20 dollar packages is that you can't get the extras after the preorder time. I'd totally own the warhammer right now if I could still get those. The collectors packs arw probably 10 dollars higher than they need to be though. A duplicate of a variant with a cb bonus isn't worth double the price.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Were is the docket for WOL? Is not in the OP that I could see

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Great Beer posted:

My only complaint about the 20 dollar packages is that you can't get the extras after the preorder time. I'd totally own the warhammer right now if I could still get those. The collectors packs arw probably 10 dollars higher than they need to be though. A duplicate of a variant with a cb bonus isn't worth double the price.

It's also double the premium time, so there's that.

I still think the basic pack + Hero is the better deal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What heavy do I want to buy (with C-Bills) to get in on CW? Literally everything else I own is a brawler so something that isn't would be nice. Right now I only own lights and mediums.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Drone posted:

What heavy do I want to buy (with C-Bills) to get in on CW? Literally everything else I own is a brawler so something that isn't would be nice. Right now I only own lights and mediums.

IS or Clan?

Thunderbolts do drat good work on the IS side of things. Current dropdeck is 3 of them + a firestarter, and I think I still have some tonnage room. Though they do mostly work at mid to close range, this works well in practice due to the nature of CW - storming a base and thus getting in close.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 28, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Is the UAC20 good? Is putting two of them on a dire wolf a bad idea? Because it sure sounds fun.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is the UAC20 good? Is putting two of them on a dire wolf a bad idea? Because it sure sounds fun.

Better to use 4 uac 5 or 3 uac 10. You spread damage less than with the uac 20.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
how does the C-Autocannon 2/5/10/20 work for damage? it fires 3 shots but do they do 2/5/10/20 damage each?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

how does the C-Autocannon 2/5/10/20 work for damage? it fires 3 shots but do they do 2/5/10/20 damage each?

By that logic a burst in which every shot would do 20 damage would be 60 in a single trigger pull and that is insane even by PGI standards. No, you take the damage that is listed and divide it over the burst that is fired.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

I was recently "gifted" (via gift card from a relative with poor financial abilities) the collectors warham pack with a widow chaser.

Due to the decision to buy fitting so well with the gift givers track record, I feel that my bad impulse was just channelling her.

No ragrets.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just noticed that I apparently have about $3 million worth of standard engines sitting in my inventory (I guess from switching some stuff out?), is there any reason whatsoever I should hold onto them?

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Any suggestions for thunderbolt builds?

Also, how about the Orion?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just noticed that I apparently have about $3 million worth of standard engines sitting in my inventory (I guess from switching some stuff out?), is there any reason whatsoever I should hold onto them?

Only if
A) they're not some of the good variants
B) you need the cash
C) you have duplicates and don't mind swapping engines around.

It's usually considered a poor idea to sell an engine unless you have another copy of it already, since we don't know what's going to be good in the future.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Any suggestions for thunderbolt builds?

these aren't bad

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=116&l=acd8e2c557180d6593fd118583a7a0556960f2c2

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=115&l=be47274a5c14456e3896779ee9cea1863d0df921

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=155&l=cccb36c0a6e75620e1c263983f391deca544ff75

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Only if
A) they're not some of the good variants
B) you need the cash
C) you have duplicates and don't mind swapping engines around.

It's usually considered a poor idea to sell an engine unless you have another copy of it already, since we don't know what's going to be good in the future.

It's a 210, (2) 260s, a 290, and a 60, if that tells you anything. I'll probably go ahead and sell the dupe 260, though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Those are all useless. Keep the 60 if you want to do urban mech stock gimmicks. Otherwise put them towards something useful.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thank you!

Unrelated: Are mech bays sold in threes?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Thank you!

Singles. Sometimes they go on sale for half off.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Thank you!

They're sold in singles for 300MC each; if buy any kind of package I believe you automatically get however many bays are needed to house all the Mechs.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
90s documentary about Mechwarrior stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJA5C_Po4U

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Trying this again for some reason. Could anyone recommend me a mech? I prefer to brawl if that narrows it down. My primary account has a CPLT-K2 and a COM-3A which I imagine have really lovely old layouts (K2 has dual UAC/5 and 4 MLA - the COM is running 2x Med Pulse lasers and SRM6). Should I just reroll a new account, get money and buy a better mech that way? Or are these two still salvageable? I don't seem to be walking out of matches with much damage done :(

vv Yeah I've done it already vv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Have you done the tutorial missions? If your account is old enough that you haven't done those you can pick up enough c-bills for another catapult easily.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stringbean posted:

Trying this again for some reason. Could anyone recommend me a mech? I prefer to brawl if that narrows it down. My primary account has a CPLT-K2 and a COM-3A which I imagine have really lovely old layouts (K2 has dual UAC/5 and 4 MLA - the COM is running 2x Med Pulse lasers and SRM6). Should I just reroll a new account, get money and buy a better mech that way? Or are these two still salvageable? I don't seem to be walking out of matches with much damage done :(

vv Yeah I've done it already vv

The commando might be serviceable since those weapons are in a good place and it has some decent quirks for them. K2 is probably a bit mediocre. No harm in restarting for the sweet beginner cash, plus getting rolled back to tier 5 won't hurt your earnings.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JacksAngryBiome posted:

I'm a fan.

Lots of goons give me poo poo about it but gently caress those guys, they ruin everything.
PROTECTOR

ON1-V

ON1-K(C)

Those are the bundle mechs.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

sebmojo posted:

The commando might be serviceable since those weapons are in a good place and it has some decent quirks for them. K2 is probably a bit mediocre. No harm in restarting for the sweet beginner cash, plus getting rolled back to tier 5 won't hurt your earnings.

Thats what I was figuring. Tried playing a few matches with my K2 and it just seemed like a wet noodle.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is the Banshee still secret tech? I find it interesting that it's a lot cheaper than the Stormcrow

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Razzled posted:

Is the Banshee still secret tech? I find it interesting that it's a lot cheaper than the Stormcrow

Clan robots are super expensive because they come fully upgraded with a clan XL and such. IS robots end up being just as expensive (usually) after you kit them out

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Were is the docket for WOL? Is not in the OP that I could see

Here it is

It was back a few pages

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Opinions on the King Crab? If I'm really liking Assault mechs, is there any benefit from picking this over the Atlas? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm gaining/losing before I drop 10 million credits down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stringbean posted:

Opinions on the King Crab? If I'm really liking Assault mechs, is there any benefit from picking this over the Atlas? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm gaining/losing before I drop 10 million credits down.

They have pretty different builds. The KC is at its best sporting 4 UAC5s as a medium range support mech, although there are also good brawler builds. It benefits from being fairly low profile, although it is wide as a house.

The Atlas is tanky as all gently caress. Most of the builds I've seen of it are brawlers, although I'm sure you could rig it with LLs for a more medium range approach. One of my favorite Atlas variants is the one with ECM, something you don't often see on assaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have pretty different builds. The KC is at its best sporting 4 UAC5s as a medium range support mech, although there are also good brawler builds. It benefits from being fairly low profile, although it is wide as a house.

The Atlas is tanky as all gently caress. Most of the builds I've seen of it are brawlers, although I'm sure you could rig it with LLs for a more medium range approach. One of my favorite Atlas variants is the one with ECM, something you don't often see on assaults.

The D-DC is surprisingly stealthy. AC/20 and 3 SRM 6 isn't as strong as the Atlas-S, but holy drat the D-DC pulls it's weight in a brawl.

• Locked thread