Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like Sam Dunn is doing another Metal Evolution series called Metal Evolution - Albums. He's going through various influential / under rated albums. Looks to be pretty much more of what he does. A bunch of interviews, etc. First episode is on TV right now, featuring on At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul
What do you guys think of his previous output?
I've always enjoyed his films and tv shows. A good beginner's guide to metal. Something I can show to my parents and say "See, this is what it's about. No I'm not going to grow out of it. And yes, it is actually a valid form of music, not just noise."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
How old are you that you still have to explain your music to your parents

I haven't done that in at least 25 years.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fenrir posted:

I only have to tell my mom that this isn't a phase (even though she listened to Suicidal Tendencies in college, so :confused:). My dad grew up listening to stuff like AC/DC and Iron Maiden and his CD collection was what started my obsession with metal. He even had long hair like me when he was my age (18) and I like to joke with him that I have enough hair for the both of us now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Looks like Sam Dunn is doing another Metal Evolution series called Metal Evolution - Albums. He's going through various influential / under rated albums. Looks to be pretty much more of what he does. A bunch of interviews, etc. First episode is on TV right now, featuring on At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul
I've always enjoyed his films and tv shows. A good beginner's guide to metal. Something I can show to my parents and say "See, this is what it's about. No I'm not going to grow out of it. And yes, it is actually a valid form of music, not just noise."

He made this chart, so he's a complete idiot you shouldn't listen to.

Blue Wher posted:

So who wants to hear some batshit insane metal?

I LOVE batshit insane metal (i.e. Deathspell Omega, Sigh, A Forest of Stars, Portal, Dodheimsgard), so when I was recently introduced to the band Pryapisme. I was instantly hooked.

I showed this to some of my friends on Facebook, and here were some reactions:

Friend 1: it's like trip hop fused with metal fused with jazz fused with drugs... also it has a cat in it
Friend 2: Only 1:30 in, and I think it's great! I usually hate everything. Musical flavors of Koenjihyakkei and Estradasphere. Mr Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3 too.
Friend 1: i am literally just laughing uncontrollably the more i listen. i don't know if i like this band or if it's just so absurd

E: That Xanthocroid track posted earlier was yummy.
It sounds like a bunch of different bands randomly thrown together by spastic circus clowns.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A human heart posted:

He made this chart, so he's a complete idiot you shouldn't listen to.

The first thing I noticed was that Overkill was two words.

Oy vey.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Fenrir posted:

I wouldn't say have to, it just grinds my gears to hear the old man be so dismissive with comments like "Are you still listening to that garbage?" Especially coming from a guy who is a musician, and major classical and rock music nerd. It strikes me as straight up willful ignorance.

That's all really secondary to what I was interested in though. What's your views on Sam Dunn's output, and are you looking forward to his new series?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

I only have to tell my mom that this isn't a phase (even though she listened to Suicidal Tendencies in college, so :confused:). My dad grew up listening to stuff like AC/DC and Iron Maiden and his CD collection was what started my obsession with metal. He even had long hair like me when he was my age (18) and I like to joke with him that I have enough hair for the both of us now.
Holy poo poo, I feel old now.

B33rChiller posted:

I wouldn't say have to, it just grinds my gears to hear the old man be so dismissive with comments like "Are you still listening to that garbage?" Especially coming from a guy who is a musician, and major classical and rock music nerd. It strikes me as straight up willful ignorance.

That's all really secondary to what I was interested in though. What's your views on Sam Dunn's output, and are you looking forward to his new series?
I'll be honest, I have no idea who Sam Dunn even is. But yeah, I see where you're coming from there.

:corsair:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Fenrir posted:

I usually call my mom when I drive so when I casually mention I am going to a concert and she asks who I am seeing, I just go into excruciating detail about it. The Rotting Christ/Watain/Mayhem didn't throw her off so I really don't know what will.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like my long time method of not talking about or listening to metal around people who don't care about the genre. Keeps me sane.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

It sounds like a bunch of different bands randomly thrown together by spastic circus clowns.

Very few bands pull off that eclectic style while retaining cohesion. Unexpect are one of the only ones I can get into, and even then it took me a while, but this song is just brilliant. Never too quirky, and the surreal atmosphere is gorgeous, especially at around 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDvDBuLKEY

Also, Megalomaniac Trees contains the best power metal riff ever, at about 2:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC_Ha1PieLI

I recall not liking Pryapisme. Chiptune and metal really don't go together, like, 99.5% of the time.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 25, 2015

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It sounds like what goes on inside Devin Townsend's head.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I've never gotten the same dyanmicism of Unexpect from Devin. Even the stuff on Deconstruction tends to stay in the same key throughout the piece and is built on one riff, without much hopping around time signatures. Unexpect are also way more dissonant than Devin - the riff in this song is basically a Gorguts riff with a more neoclassical resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMsu1PJHei4

This is also one of their more structurally straightforward songs - there's an A section up until about ;40, then a B section until 1:10, then C until 1:40, at which point the sequence repeats - after that you have a bridge built on the first few themes before it returns to A at 5:45.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

symbolic posted:

The first thing I noticed was that Overkill was two words.

Oy vey.
That's the way it's stylized on every single one of their album covers, so you can't really fault him for that.

Optimum Gulps posted:

Pryapisme are great - they're like an amalgamation of lots of weird prog bands that touch occasionally dabble in metal, like mIRTHKON, Sebkha-Chott, Polkadot Cadaver, and the bands you mentioned. That said, I want to be friends with Friend 2. Anyone who likes Koenjihyakkei is cool with me!
I don't know why, maybe it's the way the electronics are interspersed, but I'm getting more than a little Oxiplegatz-meets-Nyancat vibe off of this.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

That's the way it's stylized on every single one of their album covers, so you can't really fault him for that.
You would think someone so interested in the development of metal would have stumbled upon Overkill listed as one word.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Hell yeah, fellow Oxiplegatz fan! :respek: Sidereal Journey is one of the more ahead-of-its-time metal albums out there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Hell yeah, fellow Oxiplegatz fan! :respek: Sidereal Journey is one of the more ahead-of-its-time metal albums out there.
I almost hate listening to it because the bad parts are really bad, but I've got a lot of respect for the bands of that era who were just trying weird poo poo to see what would happen. A lot of it's been incorporated into much better music since, but it never would have happened without the bands ballsy enough to break from the norm and try something totally unsafe.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In the 'blast from the past'/'poo poo I listened to in college' category:

https://youtu.be/btRo9duITGU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah, as much as I enjoy more modern metal, there's no equivalent of the 90s progressive/experimental scene in terms of sheer weirdness. And it's the kind of weirdness that gives the music an otherworldly mystique. Supuration/SUP are a personal favorite artist for this reason, their stuff is delightfully trippy.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

I wouldn't say have to, it just grinds my gears to hear the old man be so dismissive with comments like "Are you still listening to that garbage?"

hes right

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah, as much as I enjoy more modern metal, there's no equivalent of the 90s progressive/experimental scene in terms of sheer weirdness.

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. The lolwacky monkeycheese stuff had its time and place, but it's basically the same showing off how much you practiced your instrument thing as all those weedly wee 80s shredders.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. The lolwacky monkeycheese stuff had its time and place, but it's basically the same showing off how much you practiced your instrument thing as all those weedly wee 80s shredders.

Oh, I don't mean Mr. Bungle or the Norwegian bands like Solefald (though Fleurety and Ved Buens Ende are pretty good examples of the sort of experimentalism I'm talking about). I mean, like, Timeghoul, Afflicted, Phlebotomized, early Atrocity, Wicked Innocence, Dark Millennium, Dreadnot, Minas Tirith, Traumatic Voyage, O.L.D., Windham Hell, Disaffected, Phantasmagory... it's the sort of experimentalism with a slight outsider quality. Modern experimental metal tends to be more of a throwback or reference to that stuff in some way, like Cosmic Atrophy and all the post-Gorguts bands.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Nevermind. There's a thread for that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Oil! posted:

I usually call my mom when I drive so when I casually mention I am going to a concert and she asks who I am seeing, I just go into excruciating detail about it. The Rotting Christ/Watain/Mayhem didn't throw her off so I really don't know what will.

I mean, I don't know how old you are, and really who gives a poo poo, it was kind of a joke post anyway, but at the same time I do remember being 15 years old and trying to justify Metallica and Emperor to my parents and well... it ends the way you'd expect.

In fact I probably came off too much like a dick in that post where I was just trying to make a silly age joke, and for that I apologize.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anybody got a link to that Geoff Tate video where he talks about how awesome he is?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

B33rChiller posted:

He did that Rush documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage which was fantastic.

But then there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CqGIlTD-s

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The best thing to ever come out of Sam Dunn's work is obviously

...Satan.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Saw on twitter that lemmy died. Please don't be true.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

chaos rhames posted:

Saw on twitter that lemmy died. Please don't be true.

Appears to be. https://www.instagram.com/p/_2usC5kiD-/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
piss

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Going to blast some Motorhead and get piss drunk.

RIP

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

God drat, 2/3rds of the classic Motörhead line-up dead within two months of each other. This fuckin' sucks. R.I.P.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
On his facebook they said it was an extremely aggressive form of cancer. I'm willing the bet his health problems the last year or so was due to it and he never got it checked out.

:smith:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

:(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:qq:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well that loving sucks.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

On his facebook they said it was an extremely aggressive form of cancer. I'm willing the bet his health problems the last year or so was due to it and he never got it checked out.

:smith:

I bet he knew and just wanted to die the way he lived.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
Killed by death.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8lhsKnc9E&hd=1

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How long do you reckon until Dave grohl makes this about himself? I say a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Surely we need a new thread title?