Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The best was yesterday at the Modern IQ this guy (who I hate and will continue to hate) was using "the most recent Star City Invitational token is a Germ" as evidence to whoever was sitting near him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boco_T posted:

The best was yesterday at the Modern IQ this guy (who I hate and will continue to hate) was using "the most recent Star City Invitational token is a Germ" as evidence to whoever was sitting near him

which guy

is it the guy that plays affinity and whines when people don't let him just go off?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Boco_T posted:

Is there any train of logic to that whatsoever or is he just an idiot?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AgentSythe posted:

which guy

is it the guy that plays affinity and whines when people don't let him just go off?
his name is Chris O. and he's loud and obnoxious and he plays Infect and he has a Squirrel playmat with like 10 IQ Top 8 pins shoved into it like that's a particularly impressive accomplishment when Curio alone runs 3 IQs a month

Voyager I posted:

Is there any train of logic to that whatsoever or is he just an idiot?
The player that determines the Invitational token is the person that wins the Invitational, nobody else. So he's just really stupid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone thought of a good use for Zada? I enjoyed using Tandem Tactics on him for lifegain triggers in draft, and Defiant Strike appeals in standard. Anything that buffs the target whilst hurting the opponent?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Off the top of my head, you could probably do some goofy ghetto Atarka poo poo where you go as wide as possible with Dragon Fodder tokens into a Become Immense on Zada and stomp somebody with a table made of 7/7s. One advantage is that it's a lot harder to blow out with spot removal than a normal Atarka combo because you're making everything big instead of just one creature and the Zada triggers go on the stack as soon as the spell is cast, so once you declare it there's no way to stop it; even a counter on the original spell won't stop the copies from happening.

Actually, that sounds pretty legit if you can forgive it relying on a 4-drop, though it may play out more like a conventional Atarka deck that can additionally say "if I untap with Zada on the board and a pump spell in hand, you lost, and if you spent your only spot removal killing Zada on your turn to stop the combo than you might just lose to the pump spell anyways."

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 28, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Static Equilibrium posted:

Yeah I don't think there's a way to abuse it which doesn't work better with either basics or karoos.

Edit: forgot about prime time, so it probably is good as a 1-of or 2-of in amulet bloom as a tutor target.

When would you tutor for this? Why would you want it? What would you cut?

People need to actually try to play Bloom, even if they only goldfish it a dozen or so times on xmage. The deck is incredibly tight, since the only cards that aren't lands and don't dig into your library are u/b pacts, amulets/blooms/azusas, and hive mind. I actually can't think of a scenario when I'd tutor for this card instead of a bounceland.

That said, I could see it seeing play in the deck, but not as a tutor target, more in the Gemstone Mine slot.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

As a titan bloom player I can say Crumbling Vestige probably isn't going to make the cut unless we also see some really strong colorless-costing cards right in that 6 mana mana sweet spot. Even then, we already have a few lands that ETB untapped to make colorless while Vestige requires amulet to do so immediately (with the upside being it generates 2 mana in this case).

Given how unimpressive the spoiled mythics have been I don't have much hope for rares/uncommons, so I'm thinking vestige will likely not do anything impressive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Alaan posted:

My initial thought would be if it sees play in Amulet Bloom. Even without Amulet out you can get usable mana from Titan.
I sortof like it. It's a bit worse for fixing that Tendo Ice Bridge but it's better when you fetch it with titan and better when you play it from hand with Amulet out.

Elyv posted:

That said, I could see it seeing play in the deck, but not as a tutor target, more in the Gemstone Mine slot.
It's sortof that, but it also acts like a bounceland with amulet out. Amulet + Crumbling + Bounceland is an excellent start in a way that amulet + double bounceland is not.

I guess it's the flexibility, and also the fact that it's uniquely good when you have titan but no amulet.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 28, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Is splashing green for Oath of Druids in a reanimator cube deck the best move or the bestest move?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone thought of a good use for Zada? I enjoyed using Tandem Tactics on him for lifegain triggers in draft, and Defiant Strike appeals in standard. Anything that buffs the target whilst hurting the opponent?

I've been running Zada in my white weenie list. She doesn't usually do anything, but she always gets removed immediately even when bigger threats are on the board. She will occasionally steal a game though. It's not really a Zada deck though.
Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
2 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Consul's Lieutenant
4 Knight of the White Orchid
2 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Arashin Foremost
3 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
4 Titan's Strength
2 Zada, Hedron Grinder
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Wind-Scarred Crag
2 Valorous Stance
3 Silkwrap
2 Mountain
11 Plains
2 Enshrouding Mist

Display deck statistics

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Elyv posted:

When would you tutor for this? Why would you want it? What would you cut?

People need to actually try to play Bloom, even if they only goldfish it a dozen or so times on xmage. The deck is incredibly tight, since the only cards that aren't lands and don't dig into your library are u/b pacts, amulets/blooms/azusas, and hive mind. I actually can't think of a scenario when I'd tutor for this card instead of a bounceland.

It seems like being able to generate mana when Titan EtB or attacks, when amulet is not in play, would be a useful tool some small % of the time, perhaps enough that it can find a home as one of the rainbow lands.

Edit: for example, say you have 7 mana starting the turn, one of which is slayers stronghold, and no amulet or other gas. A land in your deck which generates mana on EtB (plus a bounce land) uniquely (I think) allows you to attack with a top decked Titan/pact immediately rather than waiting a turn. I don't know if that sort of scenario is too contrived to be worth making one of your rainbow lands worse, but it's an interesting consideration at the very least.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 29, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speaking of, Stoneforge is 40$ right now and rising fast.

Either someone knows something, or the speccing is real.

This happened last year too. Because Stoneforge is going to be unbanned, you see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well yeah, why else would Star City print a Germ token? It's not like any other card in Magic generates Germ tokens.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Some Numbers posted:

Well yeah, why else would Star City print a Germ token? It's not like any other card in Magic generates Germ tokens.

They print them because that's what the Invitational winner wanted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

This happened last year too. Because Stoneforge is going to be unbanned, you see.

Yeah. Stoneforge has one of the most predictable market behaviors. It is funny how you can use it to track general market inflation, too. :v:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Stupid idea time.

I need peoples picks for a good card alter artist.

I have a revised Wheel of Fortune that I want altered to look like the game show Wheel of Fortune. Plan is to try and get it signed by Pat & Vanna when I get on the show (yes I am going on it in the 'near' future).

Which alterists (?) do you guys like?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Actually the standard ramp deck almost certainly wants the nameless inversion thing. The manabase can basically support it and it's a good piece of interaction against their worst matchup.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

A 2 mana tutor on a creature that reduces the cost of game winning cards yeah sure lets unban it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A 2 mana tutor on a creature that reduces the cost of game winning cards yeah sure lets unban it.

Not like the Swords are playable otherwise

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Game winning cards? Really?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
*reads batterskull, eyes pop out of head like a drat cartoon*

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
tho tbh its really sad that wizards is so scared of printing a good equipment that even in eternal formats theres only like 4 of them

-

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Death Bot posted:

tho tbh its really sad that wizards is so scared of printing a good equipment that even in eternal formats theres only like 4 of them

-

Death Bot posted:

*reads batterskull, eyes pop out of head like a drat cartoon*

Want to know a secret? Batterskull isn't very good in Modern.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There's a guy at my my lgs who unironically thinks their going to unban Sword of The Meek yes he is an idiot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
khologhans command being a card should mean that equipment shouldn't ever get out of hand again. Hell, ancient grudge seems pretty loving efficient too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Are there any good dual land options for GW (and I guess allied colors in general) that don't come into play tapped and don't rely on fetches? Painlands do the job well enough for enemy colors, but the options for allied colors seem less desirable; the Khans basics come in tapped and the BFZ duals aren't reliable sources of untapped mana in the early game for decks that have to draw their lands naturally.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What deck is Batterskull good against? The fair decks it was supposed to break can now kill it for free or easily make it irrelevant with 4/5s.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

The real twist will be when they reprint it in Oath and keep it banned in Modern.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Brownhat posted:

The real twist will be when they reprint it in Oath and keep it banned in Modern.

We already have two Modern banned cards in Standard so that wouldn't really be that crazy.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Think the goblin is good enough for Atarka Red? It would be easy to enable Surge, and the effect is relevant. Might be worth trying in the sideboard for the matchups where you take out the combo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems like a potential combo in and of itself with one-drops and token generators.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Think the goblin is good enough for Atarka Red? It would be easy to enable Surge, and the effect is relevant. Might be worth trying in the sideboard for the matchups where you take out the combo.

That goblin is very good in any deck running low cost aggressive creatures, it's a warrior and an ally as well.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Konstantin posted:

Yes, potentially. It's a solid turn 3 play with another spell, and an amazing rip off of an Abbot. Provided you have another spell in hand he gets even better late game as well, but you really want him to be the second-of-three spells in a turn (Surge enabler, him, then a combat trick to win).

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Brownhat posted:

That goblin is very good in any deck running low cost aggressive creatures, it's a warrior and an ally as well.

Yeah it seems best in a RW deck with Gideon

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Balon posted:

Yes, potentially. It's a solid turn 3 play with another spell, and an amazing rip off of an Abbot. Provided you have another spell in hand he gets even better late game as well, but you really want him to be the second-of-three spells in a turn (Surge enabler, him, then a combat trick to win).

T1=Goblin Glory Chaser (of Swiftspear if you don't wanna Vorthos your Gobbos.dek)
T2=Dragon Fodder
T3=Hordeling Outburst
T4=Piledriver+New Bushwacker

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

GoutPatrol posted:

T1=Goblin Glory Chaser (of Swiftspear if you don't wanna Vorthos your Gobbos.dek)
T2=Dragon Fodder
T3=Hordeling Outburst
T4=Piledriver+New Bushwacker

Even fitting within current Atarka Red:

T1, Swiftspear (Opponent at 19)
T3, Dragon Fodder, (Opponent at 17)
T3, Fiery Impulse or Wild Slash, New Bushwacker (Opponent at 8-10)

One of the key things is that this guy gives your other dudes haste if cast for Surge, meaning you can Fodder + Bushwacker or Abbot + Bushwacker on turn 4 for a pretty great blindside.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have finally figured out WOTC secret reason for making standard a dumpster fire. They want everyone to play modern.

"Look at all these powerful cards we use to print, back in the old days of 2013 that we will never print again." "Aren't they fun to play?"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

I have finally figured out WOTC secret reason for making standard a dumpster fire. They want everyone to play modern.

"Look at all these powerful cards we use to print, back in the old days of 2013 that we will never print again." "Aren't they fun to play?"

Why would they want people to play the format they're not selling cards for, and not play the format they're selling cards for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have this alternate theory where Mark Rosewater hosed up

• Locked thread