Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Visidan posted:

I don't know what it is but I've been told it'll be Cataclysmic in scale for Gw2.

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Visidan posted:

I don't know what it is but I've been told it'll be Cataclysmic in scale for Gw2.

SAB returns as a raid.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Visidan posted:

Over 30 skill fact changes.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Visidan posted:

An extensive suite of thief buffs to be implemented in two years when a developer remembers the announcement.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

People that think HoT is good, care to elaborate on what you like about it? I haven't really played the game so much since the launch because I've been really busy and my free time has been plagued by lovely internet so I might have missed people have this discussion already.

Personally, I think a lot of the new skills are fun, but in need of some balance changes. The new maps are pretty but kind of soulless and kind of broken in a lot of places. Masteries are a nice idea that are poorly implemented. Actual "material" rewards like gold and skins are in a pretty lovely place it seems. The story is very clearly missing a hell of a lot they cut probably for time or to put in LS3 or the underwater expansion, or to leave floating in a disappointing butt of "where the gently caress is malyck."

Basically everything nice I have to say about it has caveats that basically amount to "this might have been a good idea if they'd spent another few months on it." The only new stuff I can think of which I regard as genuinely good without huge issues are the new mobs, which are slightly harder and thus more engaging and worthy of GW2s neat combat system. The good new skills and mobs and pretty things were basically already strengths of the game though, the new systems seem bad all over.

I haven't tried WvW which is apparently bad or raids which are apparently good, so maybe that's what you're all doing?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

LiftAuff posted:

Enrage timers are actually pretty generous. It's just that most people probably feel like they run into a brick wall with little progress at the start. Also ya'll should turn on cheat mode with double Mesmers running those Distortion wells until they fix that.

The thing about the enrage timers is they're only strictly necessary to keep people from running full Nomad's or whatever during VG. If you try to take it slow against Gorseval you'd run out of updrafts shortly after it runs out anyway, and with Sabetha the platform will eventually get destroyed. They've done a pretty good job of making the fight mechanics much more important than the timers, though sometimes you do still feel pressed for it.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

People that think HoT is good, care to elaborate on what you like about it?

HoT is infinitely more enjoyable and will get you an easy 200 hours of gameplay for $50 if you don't treat it like every other MMO and expect it to eat every second of your free time. GW2 overall doesn't have the content breadth to do that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It gives you 200 hours, which is kind of disappointing considering base GW2 has given many of us thousands of hours, and HoT has actively damaged a lot of the systems which did that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thunderbro posted:

HoT is infinitely more enjoyable and will get you an easy 200 hours of gameplay for $50 if you don't treat it like every other MMO and expect it to eat every second of your free time. GW2 overall doesn't have the content breadth to do that.

Most of the issues are coming from people who indeed don't treat it like that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, my principle issue with HoT is that all of the new stuff requires me to play for way longer than the half hour chunks that I get, or flat out doesn't let me do stuff if I log in at the wrong time.

If you can burn hours into it, it seems to be fine, if a bit grindier than vanilla gw2

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012

Probad posted:

An extensive suite of thief buffs to be implemented in two years when a developer remembers the announcement.

Only then when the patch notes are released the thief buffs aren't actually included in the patch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
tbh I will forgive them almost anything for making the xp buffs not just run down over 2 hours but be 2 hours of actual play time. I think this speaks volumes as to who their target audience is - keeping older casuals who can only do shorter chunks of time happy, rather than catering to more hardcore players. At this point I can kind of see my end game being crafting and wandering around getting achievements while listening to audiobooks and having a chat in guild about princessing. The hardcore greafing cow of 10 years ago is still inside of me somewhere, weeping at what I have become.

/remembers her first time, it was a cold winters day when I fist convinced a low level newbie in maple story to follow me into a high level area again and again under the pretense of giving him gold if he was able to make it through the bouncing slime things to the end of the level. Good times.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

HoT is good and fun, and I'm glad that guy likes it too

Hope you guys are having fun playing it like I am :)

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I can't ever find an organized verdant brink anymore so it seems like i'll never get my bladed armor chest piece.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I can't ever find an organized verdant brink anymore so it seems like i'll never get my bladed armor chest piece.

You can organize all the metas really quickly in LFG and map chat. People are thirsty for no responsibility

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

im thinking for gorseval if you run out of updrafts get a mesmer to put a portal down then everyone flies down to the bottom (it doesn't kill you instantly, just after 5 seconds) then port everyone back up

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

As far as HoT goes I have spent way to much time there than I would like to admit. Once you get most of the movement masteries HoT becomes a lot easier to handle and more enjoyable. Basics to get would be updraft, jumping mushrooms, and exalted markings you can get most places in HoT. After that I would say advanced gliding and wallows help out greatly. Ley line gliding is overrated and not used much. Other things to focus on would be seeing invisible guys helps out with the mordrem and toads that try to stealth and of course the treasure mushroom. If you are interested in the ascended weapons for whatever class get the mining mastery from exalted to complete that.

Welcome to the new grind which is known as HoT. I would do HP runs to get more xp and that zone currency. Any of them that have something to smack gives you xp. I don't know the frequency of the reset before you can earn more. Group events that are running for the full zone known as metas join those to get more xp and currency and loads of crap to salvage. Usually there is some commander up to join on and follow along smacking things along the way or tossing things here or there. At first it can be overwhelming but after a few times its really easy to just start up certain ones or hold a point by yourself. This is just info from my own HoT experience and running around solo half the time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

masteries you want

gliding 2 for updrafts
itzel 1 for bounce shrooms
exalted 1 for teleports
nuhoch 2 for wallows
gliding 5 for permanent gliding

this costs 24? mastery points and you'll be happier flying around however much you want rather than talking to vendors (who are overpriced)

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 29, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon posted:

gliding 5 for permanent gliding

I've all but given up on this one, looking at how long it's taken me for those others and how unfun I find the new zones. Only at 30 something mastery level since launch :(

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Advanced gliding is the easy one to get. Ley line gliding made me want to give up multiple times due to how much xp is needed at that point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Big Floppy posted:

Advanced gliding is the easy one to get. Ley line gliding made me want to give up multiple times due to how much xp is needed at that point.

It's not a matter of easy vs hard, it's not difficult, it's a matter of the time commitment/effort to get it that makes it feel unreachable for me. Leyline gliding I'll never see haha rip

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
To elaborate on what others said, HoT is good and fun if you don't get bent out of shape about the metas or grinding because that's not the correct way to have fun. I've maxed out masteries and haven't done anything remotely grindy outside of afking for currency. The collections are neat and I'm still playing through some of the new specs to get a good handle on what works and what doesn't in different situations. It's a ton of content for $50, which is less than what some people in this thread have spent on pre-alpha steam games and spaceship jpegs.

The jumping puzzle in the goon GH is also super cool. Congrats to whoever put it together.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've all but given up on this one, looking at how long it's taken me for those others and how unfun I find the new zones. Only at 30 something mastery level since launch :(

Just wait for the next feature pack. :D

HoT really was lovely value for $50 but if you can pick it up for $20 I'd say it's worth it once all the bugs are ironed out

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of the guild hall we have over 3000 decorations but can only place 800 when the limit is supposed to be 2000, another drat bug.

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not a matter of easy vs hard, it's not difficult, it's a matter of the time commitment/effort to get it that makes it feel unreachable for me. Leyline gliding I'll never see haha rip

B-b-but.. s-sempai don't you want to glide away with me? :ohdear:

DS has great xp and Leystone chest drops there plus lots of other leystone armor boxes show up during the run so you can get that glowy ghosty look. 3 lanes lots of easy mindless running around following a dorito till the end. I think that zone is pretty fun but the time needed for it is a bit excessive.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I've been told the huge announcement on the 13th is about WvW, sorry to get anyone excited.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ but cletus wvw is good and cool

Big Floppy posted:

B-b-but.. s-sempai don't you want to glide away with me? :ohdear:

DS has great xp and Leystone chest drops there plus lots of other leystone armor boxes show up during the run so you can get that glowy ghosty look. 3 lanes lots of easy mindless running around following a dorito till the end. I think that zone is pretty fun but the time needed for it is a bit excessive.

Do I ever :allears:

I definitely understand that dragons stand is great xp, the problem is that due to the time required for a run of it I've only done it 3 or 4 times since release :(

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah but it's something we already know is coming.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
dragon stand is cool and great and excellent for pretending that you're a raider without the condensed despair that is organized group activities in a video game for fun

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thunderbro posted:

dragon stand is cool and great and excellent for pretending that you're a raider without the condensed despair that is organized group activities in a video game for fun

provided it doesnt crash at the end

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, one of their stated goals with redesigning the way fractals work was to get everyone to stop running swamp constantly.

If it isn't a specific daily fractal, everyone runs swamps and molten boss right now, at 50+, it's 3 swamps per day.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, one of their stated goals with redesigning the way fractals work was to get everyone to stop running swamp constantly.

If it isn't a specific daily fractal, everyone runs swamps and molten boss right now, at 50+, it's 3 swamps per day.

Swamp rules, reminds me of home.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I'm super stoked that GW2 is free now. Here's hoping that GOON will accept me :ohdear:

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do I ever :allears:

I definitely understand that dragons stand is great xp, the problem is that due to the time required for a run of it I've only done it 3 or 4 times since release :(

The best and least stressful way to get exp for HoT masteries are the easy as gently caress adventures like scrap in VB, Wings of Gold in AB, Leyline gliding and Drag Racer in TD. Just do them once per day and earn a fuckton of exp for the time spent (<1 min per adventure).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

The best and least stressful way to get exp for HoT masteries are the easy as gently caress adventures like scrap in VB, Wings of Gold in AB, Leyline gliding and Drag Racer in TD. Just do them once per day and earn a fuckton of exp for the time spent (<1 min per adventure).

Is there a guide to this or something? I have no idea how to find adventures or where they all are or even how to successfully do them.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

ItBurns posted:

To elaborate on what others said, HoT is good and fun if you don't get bent out of shape about the metas or grinding because that's not the correct way to have fun. I've maxed out masteries and haven't done anything remotely grindy outside of afking for currency. The collections are neat and I'm still playing through some of the new specs to get a good handle on what works and what doesn't in different situations. It's a ton of content for $50, which is less than what some people in this thread have spent on pre-alpha steam games and spaceship jpegs.

The jumping puzzle in the goon GH is also super cool. Congrats to whoever put it together.

Thanks for the compliments on the jumping! I didn't make it to be difficult, but goons still keep falling off of it. It took several hours on a Saturday morning to make, I had to place and remove four decorations for each one that I left to get the spacing right!

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
I'm having computer issues and don't know when I'll be able to play again. Please don't gkick me!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

PartyCrown posted:

I'm having computer issues and don't know when I'll be able to play again. Please don't gkick me!

got your back :patriot:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there a guide to this or something? I have no idea how to find adventures or where they all are or even how to successfully do them.

They're marked on the map with a dude holding a flag or some poo poo. If the icon has no lock symbol on it, the adventure is active.

Most of the simple ones that people play daily for xp don't really need a guide. Here's a few you can do with one hand tied behind your back:

- Salvage Pit in VB southeast. Literally just run around a pit in circles smashing the F key for gold.
- Drone Race in TD southeast, up the hill from the SCAR waypoint. Just keep hitting the GO FAST button and don't run into mines.
- Ley Line Run in TD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVfWTt12nw just watch this and ape most of it, even if you can't do gold you'll get silver. The most important leap is the last one, where he teleports over the hump on the second-last big chunk and hits the spark with skill 1.
- Wings of Gold in AB, to get to it start from up top at Northgate and glide to pillars/updrafts. If you need a guide for the actual adventure I don't know what to tell you. Glide around, collect gold things, shove them into the waiting piehole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

They're marked on the map with a dude holding a flag or some poo poo. If the icon has no lock symbol on it, the adventure is active.

Most of the simple ones that people play daily for xp don't really need a guide. Here's a few you can do with one hand tied behind your back:

- Salvage Pit in VB southeast. Literally just run around a pit in circles smashing the F key for gold.
- Drone Race in TD southeast, up the hill from the SCAR waypoint. Just keep hitting the GO FAST button and don't run into mines.
- Ley Line Run in TD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkVfWTt12nw just watch this and ape most of it, even if you can't do gold you'll get silver. The most important leap is the last one, where he teleports over the hump on the second-last big chunk and hits the spark with skill 1.
- Wings of Gold in AB, to get to it start from up top at Northgate and glide to pillars/updrafts. If you need a guide for the actual adventure I don't know what to tell you. Glide around, collect gold things, shove them into the waiting piehole.

This is awesome info, thank you! Cletus was gonna show me some too, so sounds like I'll be able to work on that slowly then now.

• Locked thread