Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

GenericOverusedName posted:

If you want the latest version of the starter pack with what tools have been updated you can find it here. It's for version 0.42.03 , it hasn't updated for 0.42.04 yet. .Be warned, it may cause more crashing and stuff if you use dfhack. However, Therapist is working fine with it and I haven't run into any issues using it.

I downloaded just the Therapist but it says it doesn't know how to talk with the version of the game I have. How are you making it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Valiantman posted:

I downloaded just the Therapist but it says it doesn't know how to talk with the version of the game I have. How are you making it work?

Download this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/DF2016/share/memory_layouts/windows/v0.42.03_graphics.ini

Save it to <dwarf therapist>\share\memory_layouts\windows and make sure it stays named v0.42.03_graphics.ini.

Edit: For those wondering, there's a layout file for 42.04 too (here) but idk if it has been tested or not yet since it isn't linked anywhere. ~Use at your peril.~

Mu. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It has ("layouts are largely untested, but seem okay"), but it's standing on the first tentative script-driven scan pass on the structures. They still need people to do the ritualistic tweak-the-ear-does-the-toe-twiddle tests and checks before they can call where the globals are sitting this time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

:siren:TWBT for 42.23 is released:siren:

It works on the latest newb pack but not the latest DF release (as Peridexis is awol until January).

- Copy the .png files to /data/art, overwrite
- Copy the .dll files to /hack/plugins, overwrite
- Edit the init.txt file to change print mode from 2D or STANDARD to TWBT
- Launch the Newb pack, go to graphics -> customize, change the font to shizzleclean or whatever else you like.
- Strike the (clear font, multilevel) earth!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'm just gonna play the older version for awhile. I forgot how bad I am at this game. I had a nice waterfall embark full of limonite. First two kids and a carpenter go washed over the fall, so I forbade the area around it AND built a floor over the cliff. While all my dudes were doing this, they got jumped by a wereturle. I didn't have military or weapons yet, except for the hammers in my traps. poo poo. I've never even seen a werebeast before.

Also, how the hell do you use autolabor? I see it in my LNB, but I have no idea how to use. Everything I look seems to assume everyone just knows it.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 28, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I just had a dwarf citizen claim the position of "the exalted savagery" of some sort of society she belongs to. It doesn't show up in the nobles list (yet). Has anyone else had a dwarf do that? My heart stopped a second when the announcement came up; it's very similar to megabeast announcements, though the text is purple.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had a long-term resident become a warlord of something. They still just stuck around as a bard.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I have noticed my military dwarves absolutely refuse to equip any gauntlets or boots, even when I select a specific boot or gauntlet. Is this a known issue?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mad Pills posted:

I have noticed my military dwarves absolutely refuse to equip any gauntlets or boots, even when I select a specific boot or gauntlet. Is this a known issue?

I have nothing but constant problems with equipping my dwarfs. I had to reform my entire military because there was a squad that just refused to wear pants. In my last fight someone's hand got stabbed off and surprise, 75% of my military isn't wearing the gauntlets they are supposed to.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Yes, it's a known issue. The Toady suggested workaround until he fixes it for real is to add [SHAPED] to handwear/footwear that doesn't have it. He's not actually sure that will fix it for you.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
What's the last version with a working DFHack/therapist?

Feel like playing and I don't care much about taverns/petitions for now.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Yes, it's a known issue. The Toady suggested workaround until he fixes it for real is to add [SHAPED] to handwear/footwear that doesn't have it. He's not actually sure that will fix it for you.

So the military stuff has moved backwards in DF2015 compared to DF2014? Because I had a lot of good games in DF2014 (or whatever the previuos version was called, prior to 42.x) where my military would correctly equip armor, and periodically upgrade automatically as I produced better armor pieces. It was actually pretty nice, I was able to manage them alright.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Gibbo posted:

What's the last version with a working DFHack/therapist?

Feel like playing and I don't care much about taverns/petitions for now.

0.42.03 has a working release.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

reading posted:

So the military stuff has moved backwards in DF2015 compared to DF2014? Because I had a lot of good games in DF2014 (or whatever the previuos version was called, prior to 42.x) where my military would correctly equip armor, and periodically upgrade automatically as I produced better armor pieces. It was actually pretty nice, I was able to manage them alright.

All of it is worse. Everything that was good has gotten worse.

That said, the new taverns, libraries and temples are awesome. They will, assuredly, get worse in future revisions.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jesus, I installed the newest version of spacefox and these new wall tiles for non constructed/smoothed walls are offensively terrible. Someone actually thought this looked better than the nice looking walls they had before. I guess I need to figure out a way to replace all of the wall textures with something reasonable.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Jesus, I installed the newest version of spacefox and these new wall tiles for non constructed/smoothed walls are offensively terrible. Someone actually thought this looked better than the nice looking walls they had before. I guess I need to figure out a way to replace all of the wall textures with something reasonable.

Strike the flesh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bet in some distant future version of Dwarf Fortress, evil biomes will have soil layers made out of flesh that screams when your dwarves mine it.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Internet Kraken posted:

I bet in some distant future version of Dwarf Fortress, evil biomes will have soil layers made out of flesh that screams when your dwarves mine it.

Didn't masterwork already have the Tears of Armok gem veins that bleed and created some sort of blood demon when mined?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Urist has been upset lately. A wall mocked him recently. The visage of his dead wife appeared above his bed recently. His best friend was swallowed by the floor recently. He ate in a spectacular dining room recently.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Didn't masterwork already have the Tears of Armok gem veins that bleed and created some sort of blood demon when mined?

Tears of Armok were gems that acted like aquifer tiles when exposed. There were red Blood of Armok gems, but I can't remember what they did.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gibbo posted:

No, Tears of Armok were aquifers, it was veins of living stone that you could mine out and render for food.

ETA: ^^ Those could be used for magma in the alchemist's shop, IIRC.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Never actually played MW so I'm not surprised I was getting multiple things crossed up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I know there were big layers of fleshstone that you could actually turn to meat in the butchers shop. It was weird.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How do I get my tavern to have instruments in it? No matter how many instruments I make, either big ones that have to be installed or small portable ones, the tavern always says that it has 0 out of 5 desired instruments.

Also my codices come and go because apparently when a dwarf is reading one, it gets removed from the Stocks screen (I think that's what's happening). So the number moves up and down based on what is "checked in" at the dwarven library at any given moment.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah a lot of the changes in masterwork (like the meatstone) made food essentially a joke. But then a lot of other changes in masterwork (like unkillable stone demons and asbestos poisoning) made life a living hell. So on balance, it was all gravy more or less.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

reading posted:

How do I get my tavern to have instruments in it? No matter how many instruments I make, either big ones that have to be installed or small portable ones, the tavern always says that it has 0 out of 5 desired instruments.

You have some storage space installed somewhere within your barf basin, right? Even bags will do.

E:

Mu. posted:

There is a new version of Dwarf Therapist with 42.04 layouts now, http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11420

Small wonder - somebody who isn't named like a weapon in Hexen burned the midnight oil finding offsets again. ( this thing starts without blowing up, back your poo poo up and get in )

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
There is a new version of Dwarf Therapist with 42.04 layouts now, http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11420

~

Unrelated to Dwarf Therapist, I am fairly certain that half of my dwarfs spend their entire day hauling goblets from the tavern to the finished goods stockpile and then from the finished goods stockpile back to the tavern.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 29, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah a lot of the changes in masterwork (like the meatstone) made food essentially a joke. But then a lot of other changes in masterwork (like unkillable stone demons and asbestos poisoning) made life a living hell. So on balance, it was all gravy more or less.

Masterwork had a bunch of cool stuff and of course a bunch of junk too, but that's just a side effect of how drat big it is. Personally I really love how it condenses materials into basic types you can make through various means. Animal leathers tend to be just leather and not (X)leather which makes your stockpiles neater, but it also adds a few extra tiers so you can get iron grade leathers from rarer animals and such. Warpstone dust was a cool extra I thought and added some attrition to your miner workforce but I can totally see why it'd piss people off too.

Of course a bunch of magical classes were really confusing and hard to do properly but a lot of mods played around with castes which I actually like. There's also a bunch of stuff like mithril ore and the magic gems (like tears of armok generating infinite water) that let you work around a few map limitations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mu. posted:

~

Unrelated to Dwarf Therapist, I am fairly certain that half of my dwarfs spend their entire day hauling goblets from the tavern to the finished goods stockpile and then from the finished goods stockpile back to the tavern.

I just started keeping a bin of goblets in my tavern. Worked pretty well iirc.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Looks like the calculations for whether someone will be skilled at bookbinding and papermaking aren't there yet. I've got quite the nice publishing industry happening now. Is there a way to determine whether or not my scribes are copying books? I've bought some codices from other civilizations and I know the dwarves are reading them, but I still haven't seen my longest-running scribe have a job that looks like he's copying anything.

And do long term residents only claim rooms assigned to taverns?

One thing I would like to see in a future update (or mod) is a list of relationships citizenship/residence petitioners have with other denizens of the fort. I think I've turned away some spouses and that actually makes me feel a bit bad.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

So Math posted:

Can I get some help? I caught a troglodyte in a cage trap, but I can't assign him to any built cages or chains.

Also, my dwarves are happy to haul dead kea, yaks, elk, and the like to my corpse stockpile, but they never get butchered. I've got two soldiers rotting in the pile despite twenty unclaimed coffins ready to take citizens.

Check your permissions. Make sure that butcher dead animals is set to yes.

However, nothing killed by your militia will get butchered because, (I think) the game considers them enemies instead of prey at that point.

However stuff killed by traps should be able to be butchered.... Maybe. Also make sure your butcher isn't running off to a party instead of doing his job. If the corpse rots at all then it's no longer butcher able.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen some things get butchered that my militia killed but it's pretty rare.

RedTonic posted:

And do long term residents only claim rooms assigned to taverns?

I believe so; I haven't seen any sleeping in my fort residence area and if there aren't enough tavern rooms I see people sleeping on the floors.

On a side note, ever since I built my library and temple the dwarve split their time between those two and the tavern and I haven't seen any coordinated dancing for years and years... :(

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

TheCIASentMe posted:

However, nothing killed by your militia will get butchered because, (I think) the game considers them enemies instead of prey at that point.
You can, they just need to be in a corpse stockpile first.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there a good guide on getting a library going? I've got the location designated and I've got the necessary furniture (tables, chairs, bookcases, etc) but I haven't the slightest idea about how to get my dwarves writing books and poo poo.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The easy way? Stockpile some writing media and open it up for the public. The visiting sages and other nerds will a.) come ponder and discuss things and then maybe write their theories down and b.) usually keep some light reading with them as they travel. Scribes stand by to copy out anything they get their hands on (to the extent that you specify, in number of copies), ensuring that you don't have to say goodbye to any discoveries made in your fortress.

A scholar's job is to be a resident neckbeard that sits around arguing with visiting philosophers and occasionally come up with something too. I don't know what happens if you choose illiterate peasants for that position.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 29, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I appointed an illiterate plebe. He became literate and eventually specialized in chemistry.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yo, for the token [SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:100:1000], what do the two arguments mean?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Spacefox has had those fleshy walls for a while now (at least present in 0.40). I switched back to ASCII with a better color scheme because of it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

necrotic posted:

Spacefox has had those fleshy walls for a while now (at least present in 0.40). I switched back to ASCII with a better color scheme because of it.

I managed to get it updated to a version with better soil walls, though I don't really remember what I did since I was pretty drunk last night. I mean sure it still looks ugly since I popped the cavern levels and my fort is covered in foliage, but at least it doesn't look like I'm living in something's colon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Yo, for the token [SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:100:1000], what do the two arguments mean?

file_changes.txt is our best guess as it is. :shrug:

code:
[SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED:<amount>:<max>]
	each 100 of amount will contribute SEV in general to each effect (before dilution), max goes up to 1000
	the concentration does not decrease, but will stay at the maximum attained until the syndrome wears off
It's used to control the dangerous effects of binge drinking, at any rate.