Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wiki:elitegroup computer systems posted:

fifth largest[citation needed] PC motherboard manufacturer in the world
[...]
The company merged with PCChips (Hsing Tech Enterprise Co., Ltd), a major manufacturer of low-cost motherboards, in 2005
hmmm let's check this out

:pwn::hf::pcgaming:

e:

quote:

ECS also produces Acer computers.
this explains so much~

suck my woke dick has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

blowfish posted:

hmmm let's check this out

:pwn::hf::pcgaming:

wow look at all those badges that must be a good motherboard.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Mad Monk posted:

Full towers

I once acquired, from a scrap pile at a business, a Compaq Proliant server from 1993 that had absolutely out-of-this-world specs for the era. It had six 1 gigabyte SCSI drives (double-height) on a RAID controller. CPU was a P66. The RAID controller ran off a daughter card. It had EISA but no PCI which means it must have been one of the first boards out of the gate that supported the Pentium architecture. I don't recall the RAM, but it was a ridiculous amount for the time.

It stood above knee height and must have weight near 100 lbs. Those drives were absurdly heavy. I never figured out how to get an OS on it. It only had 2 floppy drives for input and I imagine it probably was a Netware server in it's heyday. There was no OS on it when I got it. It did fully boot enough to ask for an operating system. Each drive would take about 10 seconds per to spin up and they sounded like an airplane engine starting up. Like starting a B36. Six turning, four burning.

I wish I could have done something with it, or kept it as memorabilia, but I didn't have the room and I donated it to the University re-use center.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MERCY MOTHER OF GOD THE SPEAKERS HANG ON THE SIDE OF THE MONITOR!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

wow look at all those badges that must be a good motherboard.

i'm the empty space between only three pcie slots on an atx size motherboard

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

I can't decide if that's terrible or adorable.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Chief McHeath posted:

I think I had this exact computer when I was a teenager. Speakers too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

thathonkey posted:

your download will start in 5 seconds... (or click here to begin now!)

shareware

those weird sounds that a dial-up modem makes during connection

Your posting

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

blowfish posted:

i'm the empty space between only three pcie slots on an atx size motherboard

Now here's the question, did they name it after the Claymore sword or the Claymore Mine from COD and other FPS?

Look at that plastic LEET Badge on the board itself that's supposed to act as some sort of housing.

Also their claim of LAGFree gaming is true because LAGFree isn't even a word and LAG isn't even an acronym. Then again if you think about it if a word has no Definition like LAGFree, doesn't that make all computers have it since it cannot be defined?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thathonkey posted:

Rise of the Triad owned. I liked Wing Commander but yeah they were kind of star wars ripoffs... Even had mark Hamill doing voice acting

Hey, not just voice acting. Him, John Rhys-Davies, Tom Wilson (aka Biff), and loving Malcolm McDowell. And I could have sworn that was Mike McShane playing Pliers in WCIV, but I guess not. :haw:

But I'm glad someone brought up EXTENDED (EMS) memory vs. EXPANDED (XMS) memory a couple pages ago, because Wing Commander was one of those few programs that bet on EMS for their cool effects, whereas most of the rest of the world was using XMS. Extended memory was (as I recall) just a natural extension of your main memory beyond 640K, if you configured your memory manager to handle it properly and you had a 286 or better that could address it; but expanded memory was based some kind of special daughterboard that made itself available to the system through clever masking tricks. Once you had tools like EMM386, you could configure your physical memory to masquerade as either XMS or EMS depending on what programs you liked to run, because everything was written to assume that the world of the future would have either XMS or EMS, but nobody made their poo poo able to deal with both/either. And this configuration happened once, at boot time; you couldn't change it on the fly. You didn't want to split up your precious 2MB or whatever you had between the two modes if you weren't going to use one of them most of the time.

So I had to have my badass mofo 386+387 (For Raytracing™) box configured for XMS for almost everything, but a special config to reboot into if I wanted to play Wing Commander. Otherwise you wouldn't get the moving joystick that reflected your inputs, or the little picture-in-picture of your wingman, or (most importantly) the fragments of your ship floating in space when you got fragged. Made it all feel so wistful.

https://revoemagblog.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/wing-commander-and-the-art-of-config-sys/

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Noone mentioned DLL Hell and WinRot yet? I used to have a backup of a last working windows configuration with all the DLLs, on many, many floppies. Pretty much the whole System directory. This was particularly bad on Win3.1, but Win95 wasn't immune to it anyway and 95 was suspectible to WinRot - I had to reinstall windows 95 every few weeks because the system would get frustratingly bogged down and slow (ninja edit): oh and running win95 on a 486 with 8 megs of ram was "wonderful".

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
you people must have had rotary keyboards in your day

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Noone mentioned DLL Hell and WinRot yet? I used to have a backup of a last working windows configuration with all the DLLs, on many, many floppies. Pretty much the whole System directory. This was particularly bad on Win3.1, but Win95 wasn't immune to it anyway and 95 was suspectible to WinRot - I had to reinstall windows 95 every few weeks because the system would get frustratingly bogged down and slow (ninja edit): oh and running win95 on a 486 with 8 megs of ram was "wonderful".

thats just an urban legend, idiot

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

ColoradoCleric posted:

you people must have had rotary keyboards in your day

a long time before my day, bill gates and gary kildall were street hoologans getting into mischief

one day bill gates kicked gary hard in his jewels and he never recovered

bill gates went on to found the microsoft empire while gary fell down a ladder and his CP/M fell into obscurity

That Robot has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The 123 slash commands still work in modern excel. I don't recall if I've verified 2013 but they work on earlier versions. Just his slash and they do their thing.

Also someone mentioned napster. I got DSL fairly early in its existence around the time napster was blowing up and still open game for any music. It blew my mind that I could get that free music, in minutes. Some songs I didn't think I'd ever hear again. Magic time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really hate the fact that we still have QWERTY keyboards. QWERTY was made in order to impede typing because the original alphabetical setup they had for typewriters was too efficient and wound up breaking the typewriter mechanisms. Keyboards don't have this problem and would probably benefit from the switch to alphabetical order.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really hate the fact that we still have QWERTY keyboards. QWERTY was made in order to impede typing because the original alphabetical setup they had for typewriters was too efficient and wound up breaking the typewriter mechanisms. Keyboards don't have this problem and would probably benefit from the switch to alphabetical order.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Re: Mark Hamill in Wing Commander:

Data Graham posted:

Hey, not just voice acting. Him, John Rhys-Davies, Tom Wilson (aka Biff), and loving Malcolm McDowell. And I could have sworn that was Mike McShane playing Pliers in WCIV, but I guess not. :haw:

How in the world did you leave out Ginger Lynn

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Lincoln posted:

Re: Mark Hamill in Wing Commander:

How in the world did you leave out Ginger Lynn

thats just an urban legend, idiot

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I made a lot of money in high school burning and selling Dreamcast games for $5 a pop because the friend who showed me how had 56k and took a week to download a game and I had DSL and could get em fast. I was getting NFL2K and NBA2K series games like two weeks before they released and got mad buxx for a 17 year old.

e: DiscJuggler, gently caress a boot disk.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Et9Z25pyz0

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lathespin.gif posted:

The following post was largely made possible by these two companies:

56k warning dude. drat.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't Rambus RDRAM have a short burst in PC popularity around the late 90s/early 00s until DDR RAM came out?

I seem to remember being in a message forum one night when a PC parts store online accidentally priced it at something like $20 a stick and people were buying as much as they could before it was changed back.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The actual reasons that QWERTY was designed are neat. It was based on input from telegraph operators who were transcribing morse code and had to keep up with the sender.

quote:

The code represents Z as ‘· · · ·’ which is often confused with the digram SE, more frequently-used than Z. Sometimes Morse receivers in United States cannot determine whether Z or SE is applicable, especially in the first letter(s) of a word, before they receive following letters. Thus S ought to be placed near by both Z and E on the keyboard for Morse receivers to type them quickly (by the same reason C ought to be placed near by IE. But, in fact, C was more often confused with S).

Not as funny as nerd angst over QWERTY intentionally holding back their true typing power, though :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can we get a TFR goon in here to comment on this pro-est of barrel designs :allears:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I love his metallic bicep rings because you have to contain the gains.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Rambus RDRAM have a short burst in PC popularity around the late 90s/early 00s until DDR RAM came out?

There was. I used to do computer service and reselling, and we had some RAMBUS machines come through from time to time. Trying to hoard memory for them was a pain in the rear end.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I seem to remember being in a message forum one night when a PC parts store online accidentally priced it at something like $20 a stick and people were buying as much as they could before it was changed back.

Not really a short burst of popularity as much as Intel hosed up by building the original Williamette P4 chipsets (i850?) to use that poo poo. It was expensive as hell and needed to be installed in pairs with CRIMM modules. Intel backpedaled that decision pretty hard when they released the i845 chipsets that used conventional PC-133 or DDR. I think there was also a weirdo P3 chipset that used RAMBUS... i840? IIRC, it was mostly used in server applications with a possible SMP config. The late 90s and early 2000s are just a series of fuckups by Intel until they rediscovered the P6 and released their Core chips.

Part of me misses the DIY PC ethos of the 90s and early 2000s. Built my first PC with a K6-2 500, shortly followed by a Duron 700 :smug:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah, Intel had a plan make Rambus a standard pairing with the Netburst architecture that debuted in the first Pentium 4 CPUs in the very late 90's. Netburst was also supposed to scale to 10 GHz but topped out around 4-something at the end of it's life. In the end it was AMD's development of the K7 and later AMD64 extensions that began a 6-ish year long stint of kicking Intel in the balls that sank Netburst and Rambus' PC ambitions with it. As I recall Rambus also had a litigious relationship with the rest of the PC memory industry that I think ultimately didn't do them any favors when they tried to go patent trolling during and after the Pentium 4 era.

On a different note another brief oddity around the very late 90s and early 00s was the use of slotted CPUs - Imagine your CPU looking and connecting to your PC sort of like an NES or N64 cartridge onto the motherboard. I can only guess they did that because L2 cache was still external from the CPU core itself and using a slotted design got those chips as close as possible to the CPU without having to rely on the motherboard manufacturers. Not too long after Slot 1/Slot A got introduced the L2 caches ended up getting integrated right into the CPU dies which made slotted interfaces an overly elaborate and expensive interface setup. That very same L2 integration that we take for granted now is what helped get us the legendary Celeron 300A. I had a 300A with an Abit BH6 but mine came from Costa Rica and could only get to 463 MHz, not 504 like some from another facility could (the fabs in Malaysia was it?)

Fabulousity has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Dec 29, 2015

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

tardwrangler posted:

Dick Bong lol

:patriot: and lol

quote:

What's the game though?

thathonkey posted:

Rise of the Triad owned.

It was so ugly compared to DOOM which came out at least a year before it :barf:

you were warned posted:

I'm pretty sure this was the url for my first webpage: http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/7225/
Catchy, huh?

I had a quick look and that doesn't seem to be archived on the two archive sites I checked :( Maybe you can download the 900G torrent of all the archived sites and check if it's in there!

quote:

I remember looking at their stupid little "block" pages to see who my neighbors were :3:

Oh yeah I forgot about that bit!

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Fabulousity posted:

I had a 300A with an Abit BH6 but mine came from Costa Rica and could only get to 463 MHz, not 504 like some from another facility could (the fabs in Malaysia was it?)

I had a baller 433MHz Celeron A that went all the way to 540MHz, setting the FSB at 83MHz and it was rock solid. I had it running on an Intel baby AT board with a 440EX chipset, it was blindingly fast and I stuck with that system for a proposterously long time - until 2003 if I remember correctly.

There were three types of Slotkets and they were a mixed bag. First there was an odd Socket 8 slotket that let you use your Pentium Pro CPU in a Slot1 system (never saw one in the flesh), then a PGA370 slotket for mendocino celerons, and then an electrically incompatible FCPGA370 slotket for coppermines. It was possible to determine the type of slotket by measuring the resistance between contacts on the edge of the card (I think I still have that diagram somewhere, can post if someone cares.)

I had no end of trouble with FCPGA slotkets. They were incredibly unreliable, and I suspect that this was because it was hard to establish an electrically clean connection in the slot for CPU frequencies over 500MHz, and the slotket manufacturers used to plate their edge contacts with very, very little gold which would rub away after you removed the cart for a couple of times. Unlike FCPGA slotkets, older PGA slotkets were pretty good goers.

edit: sck8 not sck6!

A SWEATY FATBEARD has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Dec 29, 2015

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I remember thinking I was hot poo poo when I was the the only one among my circle of nerd friends to have a Slot A AMD Athlon clocked at 1 Ghz and 512 Mb of RAM. I also remember saving like crazy for a Voodoo 5500. Those were good times. :allears:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of Wing Commander, though, from a bit earlier, I remember some computer magazine article about some of the most important PC games of all time and I think they ranked WC having some added importance in that it sort of overnight made people start upgrading their hardware specifically to play it.

Would that sort of mean that it maybe helped jumpstart the direction of PC gaming in the early/mid-90s by helping get more people into having better hardware, which games over the next few influential years prior to the launch of the PS1 would have benefited from?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Chief McHeath posted:

I knew someone with one of those. I suppose it's a good feature that the top of the PC is curved so you can't put anything on top of it, because that way it can radiate heat out through all those layers of plastic bubble?

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Nope, never re-installed Windows 95. Won't boot? Grow a pair of balls, boot into DOS mode, edit WIN.INI to set Shell=COMMAND.COM (or something like that), then instead of a task bar and start menu you get a command prompt where you can run regedit and hack the registry until Explorer will start properly.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Buttcoin purse posted:

It was so ugly compared to DOOM which came out at least a year before it :barf:

I believe that Rise of the Triad was built on the Wolfenstein 3D engine so it was very limited compared to Doom and games based on the Doom engine.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Chief McHeath posted:

My mom had one of those, except her monitor wasn't from the set. So she ended up with these weirdly-shaped speakers with hooks on the side, and nothing to hook them to. :shrug:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

you were warned posted:

My mom had one of those, except her monitor wasn't from the set. So she ended up with these weirdly-shaped speakers with hooks on the side, and nothing to hook them to. :shrug:

Didn't the speakers come with the monitor though? That's how it was for the Packard bell I got in 94. Looked the same as that pic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chief McHeath posted:

I like how the keyboard looks like two different brands of keyboard spliced together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I like how the keyboard looks like two different brands of keyboard spliced together

I thought they just put two in the shot until this moment.