Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

xlevus posted:

802.11ac. A wifi standard that can do gigabit+ speeds, and 8channel MIMO.

Got it, thanks. I haven't looked for this stuff in so long I'm totally out of the loop on the hot new standards haha. I don't even have any ac-capable devices at the moment so I'm not really worried about it - my desktop is wired anyway and the wireless is mostly for using the laptop for simple stuff or for visitors. Looks like the RB951G-2HnD will be a Christmas present to myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I finally got around to making a good canary script, which tells me how long something has been down. Let me know if any of you guys have any input on it. Obviously edited out some things:

code:
/tool e-mail
set address=EMAILSERVERIP from=SITE.CANARY@email.com port=587

/system script
add name=EmailOnStartup owner=admin policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,password,sniff,sensitive source="\r:local oldtime \ 
\"\$[/system clock get date] \$[/system clock get time]\"\r\
    \n{:delay 30}\r\
    \n:local subject \"\$[/system identity get name] - DOWN: \$oldtime, RESTARTED: \$[/system clock get date] \$[/system clock get time]\"\r\
    \n:local logcontent\r\
    \n:foreach int in=[/log find ] do={\r\
    \n    :set logcontent (\"\$logcontent\\r\\n\" .[/log get \$int time]. \" - \" .[/log get \$int message])\r\
    \n}\r\
    \n/tool e-mail send to=\"email@email.com\" subject=\$subject body=\$logcontent"

/system scheduler
add name=EmailOnStartup on-event=EmailOnStartup policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,password,sniff,sensitive start-time=startup

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you're monitoring via snmp, just watch the uptime counter and alarm if it's under 30min or so.

It's remarkable how much that catches things and doesn't rely on mail servers/dns and such working from the remote side, but will catch the 15 second reboots, and bonus - works cross platform.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

unknown posted:

If you're monitoring via snmp, just watch the uptime counter and alarm if it's under 30min or so.

It's remarkable how much that catches things and doesn't rely on mail servers/dns and such working from the remote side, but will catch the 15 second reboots, and bonus - works cross platform.

We do monitor via SNMP but my boss wants to know every little power outage that happens due to caring way too much.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

I meant just monitor the snmp oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 for mikrotik - it returns uptime in centiseconds, (yes - so divide by 6000 for minutes), and if that value is low, alarm away as you just had a reboot/power outage (or the counter cycled after a few months).

Nicely integrates with a monitoring system that can do snmp queries and removes any dependency on mailservers/dns and people reading said mailbox.

This also works with everything else that has a similar uptime counter.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Observium does this. But you have to pay something like, $250/year to get the pro version if you want to do email alerting.

EDIT:

I should clarify. Observium does fantastic SNMP monitoring on Mikrotik and Ubiquiti devices.
It will monitor/graph temps, voltages, uptime, etc... and you can build alerts based on any of it.
I have it tell me on my dashboards if any devices have less than 24 hours of uptime.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yay, massive new OS update, with only a minor version number change. It's the Latvian way!

Mikrotik posted:

We are happy to announce that a new version of The Dude has been released, marking the restart of development of our free network monitoring utility.

From now on, the Dude server will run in RouterOS x86, CHR and CCR devices, downloads are available in the x86 and TILE sections of our download page http://www.mikrotik.com/download (RC section)

The CHR (Cloud Hosted Router) has also been released in RC19, the License menu now includes ability to connect to our Licensing server with your mikrotik.com account, to receive a free trial license that will run for 60 days, giving you ample time to test how CHR works in your virtual environment. More information about CHR will be posted in the new manual page: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR

Let us know your impressions and suggestions about The Dude and CHR.

To upgrade, click "Check for updates" at /system package in your RouterOS configuration interface, or head to our download page: http://www.mikrotik.com/download

What's new in 6.34rc19 (2015-Dec-08 17:39):

*) CHR - implemented trial support for different CHR speed tiers;
*) dhcpv6-client - fix add route/address;
*) usb - enable ch341 serial module;
*) lte - make sure that both LTE miniPCI-e cards are recognised;
*) ppp - make PPP active print radius & !radius conditions work;
*) winbox - show fast-path per interface counters;
*) log - log link up/down events only when link actually has changed its state;
*) romon - do not accept multicast id;
*) romon - fixed crash on RoMON if fast-path was active;
*) winbox - show Common-Name of certificates in certificate list;
*) e-mail - do not reset server address after changing configuration;
*) winbox - added units to PCQ queue fields;
*) winbox - added LCD menu for RB3011;
*) smb - show correct interface name in SMB debug logs;
*) net - do not break connection when interface is added to bridge;
*) dude - “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated”;
*) dude - dude RouterOS package added for tile and x86 (CHR) architecture;
*) dude - initial work on dude integration into RouterOS;
*) webfig - didn't show zero values in CRS ingress/egress vlan translation rules;
*) netwatch - make work with ping timeouts more precise;
*) btest - fix crash on stop/start with fastpath enabled;
*) hotspot - added missing favicon.ico in hotspot html pages;
*) dhcpv6 - various changes on client, server, relay optimization;
*) arp - show incomplete arp entries;
*) hotspot - show cookie add/remove events in hotspot,debug log;
*) hotspot - allow static entries with the same mac on multiple hotspot servers;
*) hotspot - do not remove mac-cookie in case of radius timeout;
*) hotspot - added byte limits option for default-trial users;
*) ipsec - make sure that dynamic policy always has dynamic flag;
*) CAPsMAN - use CAP name in log when remote-cap is deleted (wireless-cm2);
*) hotspot - fixed login by mac-cookie when roaming among hotspot servers;
*) hotspot - add html-directory-override for read-only directory on usb flash;
*) hotspot - add uptime, byte and packet counter variables to logout script;
*) net - fix statistics counters jumping up to 4G;
*) firewall - SIP helper update for newer Cisco phones;
*) usermanager - fixed usermanager web page crash;
*) ipsec - fixed active SAs flushing;
*) hotspot - added option to login user manually from cli;
*) hotspot - fixed trial-uptime parsing from CLI to Winbox/Webfig;
*) lte - added support for multiple E3372 on the same device;
*) modem - added wpd-600n ppp support;
*) console - fixed incorrect disabled firewall rule matching to "invalid flag";
*) dns - fix for situation when dynamic dns servers could disappear;
*) sfp - fix 10g ports in 1g mode (introduced in 6.34rc1);
*) CCR1072 - added support for S-RJ01 SFP modules;
*) trafficgen - fixed issue that traffic-generator could not be started twice without reboot;
*) dhcpv6-server - replace delay option with preference option;
*) dhcpv6-client - added address acquisition support;
*) dhcpv6 - implement and enable rapid commit by default.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The Dude abides :unsmith:

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
What can I use to monitor bandwidth consumption? I have a Linux box, no Windows. I was using NefFlow and nTop, I've used logstash + Kabana + elasticsearch to some limited success. Just wondering what else people use.

Edit: s/Why/What/

Boner Wad fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 11, 2015

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Mikrotiks have MRTG built in. I use that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know a way to have a router/dhcp server become the Master Browser. Tomato used to have a simple clickbox to enable this and I loved it. Now that I use Mikrotik's I have no idea how to accomplish this... might not be possible because I think you need to use Samba.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

redeyes posted:

Does anyone know a way to have a router/dhcp server become the Master Browser. Tomato used to have a simple clickbox to enable this and I loved it. Now that I use Mikrotik's I have no idea how to accomplish this... might not be possible because I think you need to use Samba.

I don't see any options for it and searching the wiki reveled absolutely nothing. You're probably right.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Mug posted:

Mikrotiks have MRTG built in. I use that.

I use that too but it doesn't list how much bandwidth I've used per day/month/year etc. That's kind of what I'm looking for.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

code:
[admin@MikroTik] > ip route print count-only
[admin@MikroTik] > ipv6 route print count-only
Testing out the CCR1036 with two ipv4 peers and two ipv6 with full tables. So far working well. The touchscreen is neat.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Until you have the box (or it's peers) reset and become a routing blackhole/mess for 10min as BGP re-converges with that many routes since the bgp daemon isn't multithreaded (and won't be until v7).

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

So far it's been about 2 minutes for re-convergence. We're looking at table sizes of 25k to 50k routes with a default that should prevent blackhole. We're still in testing but surprised that it hasn't fallen over.

Anyone know the (actual) command to kill old ssh sessions to the router?

edit: anyone else look at the reg dates on this page? looks like we're some sort of time capsule.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Heheh, greybeard goons griping about Latvian routing equipment.

Good times.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So, I adjusted my P2P link with 2 RB SXT G-5HPacD units over 500ish feet and set the TX gain to 17(which btw am I going to hurt something?) . NV2.. achieved 80-90MB/s sustained throughput or basically 800-866mbps over 2 windows file servers realtime file transfer. Frankly my face just fell off and flew away. I had no clue this stuff was possible now. TX/RX CCQ on my end is 93/99% baby, 45db signal.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

redeyes posted:

So, I adjusted my P2P link with 2 RB SXT G-5HPacD units over 500ish feet and set the TX gain to 17(which btw am I going to hurt something?) . NV2.. achieved 80-90MB/s sustained throughput or basically 800-866mbps over 2 windows file servers realtime file transfer. Frankly my face just fell off and flew away. I had no clue this stuff was possible now. TX/RX CCQ on my end is 93/99% baby, 45db signal.

You can probably turn the tx down as low as possible (below 0) and still get a good rate. You likely want to mess with the channel width at 30 or 40mhz too if you haven't already.

Anything in the 50db range is good. The lower signal with good rate will work just as well or better and won't be blasting the airwaves with unnecessary signal.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

You can probably turn the tx down as low as possible (below 0) and still get a good rate. You likely want to mess with the channel width at 30 or 40mhz too if you haven't already.

Anything in the 50db range is good. The lower signal with good rate will work just as well or better and won't be blasting the airwaves with unnecessary signal.

I set the rates to 'Default' instead of fixed rate at 17 gain. Speeds are slightly more actually, CCQ is 99% now, 90-100MB/s realtime transfer speed. Sounds good to me, thanks for the tip.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bought one of the ~$200 2x SFP+ Cloud Router Switches, and I am about to do a few bandwidth tests (with CCRs on either end of it) to see if this sucker and push a lot of data on that switch chip.

We're running out of ports on our main access switch for our VLANs, and we're thinking of putting this 2x SFP+ switch (with 10G going in and out) as a man in the middle, upstream from our current switch.

Hopefully it works well! My boss is super hesitant since it was only 200$ versus like our current $3k+ HP switch.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
A test not from some insane third world ISP would be nice. I thought they had a switch chip per 5 ports but the block diagram just shows one big rear end chip

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a CCR1009 and a CCR1036 to test on either side of the SFP+ ports, as doing bandwidth tests need a lot of CPU to not max out easily.

I should have some good results by tomorrow.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Anyone know when the hAP AC and Lite will show up? They were both announced for the third quarter of 2015, but I know Latvian calendars work about as well as Latvian software QA.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Anyone know when the hAP AC and Lite will show up? They were both announced for the third quarter of 2015, but I know Latvian calendars work about as well as Latvian software QA.

I was wondering the same since my UAP AC PRO order was delayed until May. Any thoughts on the throughput or other differences between a UAP vs hAP AC?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Boner Wad posted:

I was wondering the same since my UAP AC PRO order was delayed until May. Any thoughts on the throughput or other differences between a UAP vs hAP AC?

Curious on this as well. I have been waiting for a UAP AC LITE to come back in stock, doesn't seem like it will ever happen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I don't know if the hAP AC will have more than 866mbps but this http://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RB91...ywords=mikrotik is what I just bought because I got tired of waiting. Thing works flawless. Price is great.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I really need the dual band support because I have some gear that's older than God and is 2.4 only.

The hAP AC Lite is starting to show up at some resellers, but at this point I'd rather wait for its big brother. I'm looking to replace a router I bought in 2008, so I tend to think of gear as more of a long term investment.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I really need the dual band support because I have some gear that's older than God and is 2.4 only.

The hAP AC Lite is starting to show up at some resellers, but at this point I'd rather wait for its big brother. I'm looking to replace a router I bought in 2008, so I tend to think of gear as more of a long term investment.

Yeah the AC lite is single chain 5Ghz AC and isn't gigabit. I got an hAP lite to cover dual chain 2.4Ghz BGN for my stuff.. still came in under 100 bux.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I have my two RB2011s (upstairs, downstairs) connected together with a flaky Powerline adapter that seems to cut out occasionally and things don't seem to work well after that happens.

So I've set a watchdog on the upstairs device to reboot if it can't talk to the downstairs device. This seems to handle the cut out issue.

Buuut. When the upstairs device restarts, all the WiFi clients reconnect to the downstairs device and never switch back to the upstairs device.

Currently, the wifi is just configured so that everything's on the same SSID/Channel, which I suspect is the problem, will WDS solve this?

Is there a guide on how to configure WDS over an ethernet link? I've only seen ones concerning WDS over wireless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run another script that disables/enables the radios on the downstairs AP when the upstairs one's uptime goes backwards :v:

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008
I've got a client who needs to occasionally allow remote access to a server on their network. Currently they're getting by with Teamviewer but that gives the outside guys access to their desktop to then access the server - not ideal.

I'd like the client to be able to use a shortcut on their Windows system to temporarily open a port on the Mikrotik outside interface that will dstnat to the right server. I'm not even fussed about opening it only to a specific outside ip, just opening it is OK (they've got ssh and goodish security to hold out random attempts for the 20odd minute periods the port will be open for).

Port knocking seemed like the obvious solution since the shortcut could just telnet the Mikrotik on one or more ports from the inside, which would (in theory) open the port on the outside interface. Unfortunately, all of the port knocking solutions I've found will only then open access to the inside client, which is no good.

I'm currently looking at hacking together a local website with php tied into the RouterOS API but something tells me there has to be something I've missed. Any ideas?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can make a somewhat crippled user account that can be telnet'd into via the batch file script on the client computer, then open the port in the firewall-- which is a simple command line within the Mikrotik.

Something like set disabled=no on:

/ip firewall nat
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="Port forward for RDP to Client" dst-address=<PUBLIC_IP> dst-port=3389 to-addresses=<INTERNAL_IP> to-ports=3389

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2016

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

OmniCorp posted:

So far it's been about 2 minutes for re-convergence. We're looking at table sizes of 25k to 50k routes with a default that should prevent blackhole. We're still in testing but surprised that it hasn't fallen over.

The network engineers at my last place set up a couple of these to handle our peering arrangements and they were pretty flaky under any real load.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
http://routerboard.com/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

HAP AC page is up on routerboard.com, seen prices on streakwave for 106 + shipping.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Atreus posted:

HAP AC page is up on routerboard.com, seen prices on streakwave for 106 + shipping.

How are those going to compare to the new UniFi UAP-AC-PROs? I have two on order since December and I have no clue when I'll get them.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
We won't know until someone gets both. Interesting to see the SFP port is not on the switch chip like the RB2011.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 9, 2016

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Atreus posted:

quote:

We have two versions available.
- RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT-US (USA) is factory locked for 2412-2462MHz, 5150-5250MHz and 5725-5850MHz frequencies. This lock can not be removed.
t:mad:

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
First of all, heres my config: http://pastebin.ca/3372338

ether1 is the WAN port. I'd like to limit the bandwidth on that port, like QoS.

So far I've tried:
/queue simple
add max-limit=69M/420M name=queue1 target=ether1

/interface ethernet
set bandwidth=100M/100M

The first one doesnt work I've been told because the port is switched, or because of NAT masquerade.

The second one doesn't work because the switch chip in the RB3011 doesnt support it. (i cant go above 10M/10M, but it /does infact/ work at those settings... i bet its just a bug)

Is there any other way I can do this? Preferably w/o mangle and using a queue tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Looking to create a simple wireless bridge across a distance of about 200m. I am looking at the SXT 5 AC for each end, or is there a better option?

http://routerboard.com/RBSXTG-5HPacD