Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Thank you for posting that. "Paul Ryan is a Muslim now" is a story that I really can never get enough of. It makes me laugh every single time. :)

Maybe John Boehner was one of those characters in a horror story who can escape their hellish fate only by palming it off on someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

Found this after exploring right-wing Twitter for a bit.

See? This is loving hilarious and isn't going to stop being funny any time soon.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Joementum posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

When Bernie was first flirting with running I remember you were critical of his ability to affect the overton window. I then got an 80 hour a week job and had to quit DnD so that's the last I saw of your opinions on the subject. It was in the original 2016 election thread so I might be misquoting you but I always respected your opinions and that one in particular stuck out.

Joementum posted:

~my thoughts on Bernie Sanders~

I really appreciate this, thanks. I've been cautious of being an overt supporter of Sanders as getting behind a go-nowhere candidate can lose you a lot more than you put in, but hell, I think he's done well enough that even losing can be a win at this point.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joe, the problem with Bernie's Fed Op Ed isn't the audit, though that is dumb, it's his other proposals. Fortunately he stands a better chance of being elected President than he does forcing large scale change of the Fed.

I really want this Imam Paul D. Ryan thing to continue though. For once the alt right morons are making me laugh without guilt.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

Joe, the problem with Bernie's Fed Op Ed isn't the audit, though that is dumb, it's his other proposals. Fortunately he stands a better chance of being elected President than he does forcing large scale change of the Fed.

I really want this Imam Paul D. Ryan thing to continue though. For once the alt right morons are making me laugh without guilt.

I haven't been following the republican primary super close (I keep trying but every time I sit down to listen to policy proposals from them I end up slamming my head down and I'm worried about concussions). So, I just found out today that Cruz, Huckebee, Carson and Paul have all, at least in part, said that they'd like to return us to a gold standard. Nothing Bernie could want to do with the Fed could ever be as stupid as actually trying to return us to the gold standard. I'm also confused because this means there's something important that Trump is much more reasonable about than his main opponents. :psyduck:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anubis posted:

I haven't been following the republican primary super close (I keep trying but every time I sit down to listen to policy proposals from them I end up slamming my head down and I'm worried about concussions). So, I just found out today that Cruz, Huckebee, Carson and Paul have all, at least in part, said that they'd like to return us to a gold standard. Nothing Bernie could want to do with the Fed could ever be as stupid as actually trying to return us to the gold standard. I'm also confused because this means there's something important that Trump is much more reasonable about than his main opponents. :psyduck:

his fiscal positions have always been more reasonable, no matter what his 'official' policy proposals have said. it's obvious to anyone who listens to him he's no libertarian

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Maybe John Boehner was one of those characters in a horror story who can escape their hellish fate only by palming it off on someone else.

There is no escape.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

GalacticAcid posted:

Found this after exploring right-wing Twitter for a bit.

thoughs eyes :stare:

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

his fiscal positions have always been more reasonable, no matter what his 'official' policy proposals have said. it's obvious to anyone who listens to him he's no libertarian

The fact that Trump is a serious contender just shows how weak this "best Republican field in recent memory" really is. Trump understands the anxiety that is plaguing the (white) working class, even if his solutions are reprehensible, Trump has thought more about ISIS than every other clown on the clown train, and he's a fighter which is what a large part of the Republican base has convinced itself it wants. That Paul-Ryan-is-a-secret-Muslim thing just shows how that part of the base thinks, Ryan not forcing Obama to resign and commit seppuku in the well of the House means he's just another RINO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GalacticAcid posted:

There is no escape.

yeah, i wonder if ryan knew how hosed he was when he took this postion or was he honestly naive enough that he thought the nuts wouldn't want his head.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i wonder if ryan knew how hosed he was when he took this postion or was he honestly naive enough that he thought the nuts wouldn't want his head.

Ego is a helluva drug.

[e]: Heard the prosecutor's testimony on the BBC World News earlier, saying there was no criminal misconduct by the police with Tamir Rice due to there being such a cluster of misinformation and general confusion. Ever heard of manslaughter charges, assholes? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. :mad:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 29, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There's a reason he didn't want the job.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MC Nietzche posted:

The fact that Trump is a serious contender just shows how weak this "best Republican field in recent memory" really is. Trump understands the anxiety that is plaguing the (white) working class, even if his solutions are reprehensible, Trump has thought more about ISIS than every other clown on the clown train, and he's a fighter which is what a large part of the Republican base has convinced itself it wants. That Paul-Ryan-is-a-secret-Muslim thing just shows how that part of the base thinks, Ryan not forcing Obama to resign and commit seppuku in the well of the House means he's just another RINO.

it shows just how much distaste the lower class white base has for the libertarianism if it's not masked with racism. i think the GOP will survive Trump, but this is definitely shaking the establishment types to the core

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Does anyone know where one can find monthly job losses/gains by state?

use fred: https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
It must be lovely to attempt to commit genocide against black people in your state

quote:

Flint, MI — After filing a FOIA request, a Virginia Tech professor recently discovered Michigan state officials knew the city of Flint’s water supply was giving children lead poisoning while falsely assuring residents that the water was safe. Although the government had been aware of the increased levels of lead poisoning since July, they continued to lie to the public until a Flint pediatrician published a study in September that found lead exposure in children had doubled citywide and nearly tripled in high-risk areas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

We've bombed people in other countries for doing less harm than this to US citizens. Nothing's going to be done to these fuckers and it's insane. How the hell is Loretta Lynch not unleashing the DoJ on these assholes?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Evil Fluffy posted:

We've bombed people in other countries for doing less harm than this to US citizens. Nothing's going to be done to these fuckers and it's insane. How the hell is Loretta Lynch not unleashing the DoJ on these assholes?

The DOJ is a slow-burner. It builds cases over months and years, and only makes them public once it has built a slam-dunk. For the same reason, it's very limited in how many cases it can realistically bring. A case may well get quietly dropped because a different one will be more of a sure thing, and won't be as risky when it comes to political capital. For sure there are cases being built right now about several police departments, but we're unlikely to hear much unless/until they're ready to call down fire from heaven.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

[e]: Heard the prosecutor's testimony on the BBC World News earlier, saying there was no criminal misconduct by the police with Tamir Rice due to there being such a cluster of misinformation and general confusion. Ever heard of manslaughter charges, assholes? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. :mad:

Heard this in the car.

Tim McGinty posted:

a "perfect storm" of human error and miscommunication.

Like, a rube goldberg machine of unlikely cosmic coincidences occurred that caused the literally unthinkable to happen!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

There is no escape.

The Donner Party.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 29, 2015

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

. Does anyone seriously believe Hillary would have come out against KXL and TPP if Bernie weren't running?

Yes. Absolutely. And it doesn't matter if you view her in good faith or cynically.

If you are if the cynical bent then she would do what the polls said was popular and she doesn't need Bernie to read polls. If you view her in good faith then there is the quote that you or fried chicken posted before the TPP text was made available where she said she hadn't seen it for a few years but she stands with Nancy on its current incarnation. You/he complained that this was an empty statement but a quick google showed that Nancy had just released a statement saying having read it she had the following concerns.. Nancy literally led a revolt of house democrats against it ... http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7580768 ... Do you seriously think that anything Bernie has done/said shows up on Clinton's radar compared to that? Clinton is on record in that link saying that if Obama and Pelosi can't agree there should be no deal.

So my assertion that her TPP stance was based on input from Nancy Pelosi, not Bernie Sanders, is backed by Hillary saying straight out that it is so. Although again, if you wish to be cynical you can say that what Pelosi told her is that a bunch of house democrats needed to oppose it to get re-elected. That is something Pelosi would know but sanders wouldn't as he isn't a team player.

For keystone as well, her only statement prior to her run was full of qualifications and doesn't sound at all happy about it.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/14/hillary-clinton/clinton-says-her-keystone-xl-position-isnt-flip-fl/

quote:

We're either going to be dependent on dirty oil from the gulf or dirty oil from Canada. And until we can get our act together as a country and figure out that clean, renewable, energy is in both our economic interests and the interests of the planet ... I mean, I don't think it'll come as a surprise to anyone how deeply disappointed the president and I about our inability to get the kind of legislation through the senate that [we] were seeking.

To me that reads as a Secretary of State who doesn't like it but who understands that running around telling the press that the president/her boss is wrong is a career limiting move. When she left the administration and issued her position as candidate Clinton she echoed the sentiment she expressed in 2010 about how building oil infrastructure was a distraction from the real work of moving to green energy sources.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/22/politics/hillary-clinton-opposes-keystone-xl-pipeline/

quote:

"I think it is imperative that we look at the Keystone pipeline as what I believe it is -- a distraction from important work we have to do on climate change," Clinton told a community forum in Des Moines, Iowa.

Her stance on keystone has thus been constant for the last five years and has diddly squat to do with Bernie. Again, you can be cynical and say her stance is due to polls - or you can look at the giant piles of her own money she has given to help developing nations adopt green energy rather than oil or coal which make it incredibly obvious that she cares deeply about environmentalist causes.

I get that the "dragging to the left" meme is truthy ... But truthy isn't the same as true.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Has any stuffy East Coast journal or think tank tried to coin the term infant terrible in association with Donald Trump yet? I would have thought I would have heard that term in association with either Donald Trump or the Republican Party in general by now.

(Although I imagine using a fancy French term is still verboten among Republicans these days -but for some reason, "bad boy" just doesn't seem to cut it.)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

poo poo like that is more common than you'd think, just usually not a city government actively doing it. Hope they burn. Calling it genocide isn't really accurate though I think. More along the lines of crimes against humanity probably?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
In fact, I haven't seen the term bad boy associated with Donald Trump during this campaign too much either, & I think it's too bad. That might be the magic bullet that Hillary could use. An attack ad, playing alternately, we're not gonna take it by Twisted Sister and bad boys theme from the television show cops, while the Donald is doing some of his most absurd antics at his rallies I think might do some good. Once again, poo poo writes itself. Is America really ready for a bad boy president?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

SnakePlissken posted:

Has any stuffy East Coast journal or think tank tried to coin the term infant terrible in association with Donald Trump yet? I would have thought I would have heard that term in association with either Donald Trump or the Republican Party in general by now.

(Although I imagine using a fancy French term is still verboten among Republicans these days -but for some reason, "bad boy" just doesn't seem to cut it.)

As a kid, my parents bought me a t-shirt with the phrase 'je suis un enfant terrible' while on holiday in France.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm sorry, I probably post it to the wrong thread. But anyway, I keep having this image in my head of the Atlantic or The New Republic or something like that with "the year of the infant terrible" on the cover, with a line drawing buy that one guy who I think is actually dead now, who always used to do cartoons for them. Or else the guy that does those most excellent Salvador Dali knockoff inspired drawings.

ED: Shouldn't leave Cruz out in talking about infant terrible politicians. He's the spirit and image of it.

Another little grammar lesson for you goons. Spittin' image is not an image that is spitting, contrary to the vivid image that conjures. Spittin' image is a US southern corruption of "spirit and image," as in Ted Cruz is more the spirit and image of the infant terrible politician than Donald Trump.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Top headline of America's #1 Newspaper today: "Obamacare No Cure For Working Poor"

Guess it's time to repeal Obamacare! :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, and forgotten in the news yesterday: RealID is still coming. While most people had been told that only New Mexico, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota and Washington would be rejected for airline travel starting January 10, DHS has warned that this may well expand to ban Californians and New Jerseyans (among others) as well.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Oh, and forgotten in the news yesterday: RealID is still coming. While most people had been told that only New Mexico, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota and Washington would be rejected for airline travel starting January 10, DHS has warned that this may well expand to ban Californians and New Jerseyans (among others) as well.
That is pretty goddam stupid for the Obama administration to put the deadline in a presidential election year. Plenty of states now have good reason to let the deadline pass without being compliant, because the federal government (a.k.a. Obama and the Democrats) will take the blame. The political solution will be to transform the anger that's coming into a GOTV effort for Republicans, rather than into pressure to get the states to become compliant.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why are states refusing to standardize their IDs? Do they not care about security and voter fraud?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

All the extra holograms make the ID look cooler and way more interesting than it is anyways I don't get why you wouldn't want that.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

McDowell posted:

Why are states refusing to standardize their IDs? Do they not care about security and voter fraud?

If you squint hard it might bear resemblance to a national ID card which is 1984, Hitler or communism, depending on perspective.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

McDowell posted:

For Illinois and Missouri it's pretty much "gently caress you dad, you can't tell me what to do".

Also for Illinois it's "we're so loving broke we can't pay our state run universities."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Raerlynn posted:

Also for Illinois it's "we're so loving broke we can't pay our state run universities."

Sounds like another example the FREE MARKET should be in charge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anosmoman posted:

If you squint hard it might bear resemblance to a national ID card which is 1984, Hitler or communism, depending on perspective.

You'd think these chucklefucks would be all for it since it would make identifying immigrants easier if it was a standardized field on all states' IDs. But that would be the logical follow-on to their xenophobic bullshit and :lol: like these shitters give a drat about anything other than the capacity to kneecap the country so it makes the black guy in the oval office look bad.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Top headline of America's #1 Newspaper today: "Obamacare No Cure For Working Poor"

Guess it's time to repeal Obamacare! :shrug:

This article is about how many of those who need Medicaid the most still can't get it, largely in states that have refused to expand the program, and how employers dick over part time workers and contractors.

Stuff brought up in threads like this pretty regularly.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kitfox88 posted:

Sounds like another example the FREE MARKET should be in charge.

Free market is how three democratic governors have pretty much killed the state budget with rampant corruption while the current Republican governor is busy loving the corpse.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:toot:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
One America News says that some of the big cable providers like Comcast refuse to air their network, despite airing Al Jazeera, a network with proven Muslim Brotherhood ties. They say OAN is very cheap to produce so there's no economical reason for them not to air it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SnakePlissken posted:

Is America really ready for a bad boy president?

Are you Bad Enough to be President?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ballz posted:

This article is about how many of those who need Medicaid the most still can't get it, largely in states that have refused to expand the program, and how employers dick over part time workers and contractors.

Stuff brought up in threads like this pretty regularly.

Yeah it's one of those headlines that is technically true but missing the real story.

• Locked thread