Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I finally hit the point of technically-infinite ores late last night in AS2. Igneous extruder to a barrel to like eight crucibles over lava, piped to a couple lava generators, powering pulverizers outputting gravel and dust (not sand yet) to auto sieves then autopackagers then ticon smelteries into chests.

Feels good to make something that works, even if the piping is an ungodly looking disaster :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Feels good to make something that works, even if the piping is an ungodly looking disaster :unsmith:

this is basically the whole reason i play minecraft

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I finally hit the point of technically-infinite ores late last night in AS2. Igneous extruder to a barrel to like eight crucibles over lava, piped to a couple lava generators, powering pulverizers outputting gravel and dust (not sand yet) to auto sieves then autopackagers then ticon smelteries into chests.

If the piping isn't an ungodly looking disaster you are playing AS2 wrong.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair point :v:

I think after I get sand auto-sifting (and a little more power generation to support it) I want to get AE2 going. The only quest in the AE2 page is making sky stone blocks, though, which I already did. Anyone know what I need to do to unlock those quests?

(I know I can just get started on AE2 without the quests, of course, but free stuff)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Fair point :v:

I think after I get sand auto-sifting (and a little more power generation to support it) I want to get AE2 going. The only quest in the AE2 page is making sky stone blocks, though, which I already did. Anyone know what I need to do to unlock those quests?

(I know I can just get started on AE2 without the quests, of course, but free stuff)

I haven't played Agrarian Skies 2 in a dog's age, but check the recipes for common stuff and see if it got altered to include some gating mechanic or another. That might give you a hint to where the triggers are.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Is Taffer the new Rootin Tootin TexMex or did I miss some poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

upgraded servos are for nerds, just put more ducts on it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

edit: upgraded servos are also for people who want their pipes to all actually work :(

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Void World is also a cool HQM mod. It's Rutibex approved!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My above picture still suddenly stopped working. It's almost like items are trying to re-enter the chest through the servo, or the whole thing just starts sulking and gives up.

(edit) Oh, it stopped working because Aluminum--and only aluminum, near as I can tell--can't be pulverized to double it, you can only smelt it in TiCon to double. What the hell?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 29, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there a way to save augment settings in TE and have it auto insert them from your inventory? Kind of like the redprint thing or whatever it is, but instead of input/output settings for augments? The worst thing about making a ton of TE machines is having to fiddle with the cumbersome augments.

Magmarashi posted:

You should see some of his rants he's gone off on while playing on his server, you'd think KL did something to him personally.
Why though? TE has almost no impact on tick time even with ridiculous setups.

I've played on Taffer's server(s) and have no problem with the guy.

I personally mix it up. Sometimes I use EIO, sometimes I use TE, sometimes I use mekanism. Generally I use them all because you kinda want to do TE progression at some point, and EIO has some better outputs with certain SAG mill stuff, and alloy smelter has different recipes than some of the other mods that are sometimes more favorable to materials you've automated, and mekanism has its own little walled garden of stuff that's useful at some point.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Carados posted:

Really? maybe I should give it a more thoroughy try, I quit early because of a really buggy incoherent quest I got from a random fence labeled 'note #1' that broke when i pressed right click to read it and placed it instead, destroying the quest item.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Carados posted:

wow, i didnt know they backported hqm to 1.2.5

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

My above picture still suddenly stopped working. It's almost like items are trying to re-enter the chest through the servo, or the whole thing just starts sulking and gives up.

(edit) Oh, it stopped working because Aluminum--and only aluminum, near as I can tell--can't be pulverized to double it, you can only smelt it in TiCon to double. What the hell?

fortunately aluminium in minecraft is only really used for tinker's construct stuff so it's okay to just sit on it until you need to alloy it

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

Really? maybe I should give it a more thoroughy try, I quit early because of a really buggy incoherent quest I got from a random fence labeled 'note #1' that broke when i pressed right click to read it and placed it instead, destroying the quest item.

Also keep in mind that the only way I've been able to find to turn on keepInventory was NBTEdit. Enabling cheats while opening to LAN didn't work. I restarted the map several times early on because I fell into void in the Nether while trying to make a pigman farm.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Re: my rant about AgriCraft being grindy

SugarAddict posted:

That's because you aren't using the sprinklers. The sprinklers dramatically increases growth rate, they irrigate, and they also stack. If you use the sprinkers you can just ignore things like growth rate and harvest.
After a couple more days of escaping my family by playing internet lego, I'm pretty sure I agree with this. I had already switched off weeds and "non parent crops affect stats negatively", and now I also enabled "single spread stat increase", and I'm having fun puttering around in my fields without feeling like I'm just in a mindless grind. Only gripe remaining is that sprinklers cost a suit of armor's worth of iron, but there's Minetweaker for that...

Now, anyone know why Plant Mega Pack's vegetable wraps show up as 72 pages of recipes in NEI instead of a single recipe with all the allowed ingredients cycling through like most do?

Goncyn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 29, 2015

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Khorne posted:

I personally mix it up. Sometimes I use EIO, sometimes I use TE, sometimes I use mekanism. Generally I use them all because you kinda want to do TE progression at some point, and EIO has some better outputs with certain SAG mill stuff, and alloy smelter has different recipes than some of the other mods that are sometimes more favorable to materials you've automated, and mekanism has its own little walled garden of stuff that's useful at some point.

Yeah, me too. Pulverizer for redstone and certain dense ores the SAG Mill won't touch, EnderIOs conduits (unless I have enough resources to make the energy ducts with unlimited power flow, then I mix it up), SAG mill for most stuff (as long as I CBA to use Mekanism), EnderIO glass looks better than regular glass, same with fused quartz over hardened glass.

I hook up everything, but I do prefer making the EnderIO tier 5 Jetpack over the tier 5 TE Jetpack.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's the trick to gates? I'm trying to filter coal essence so it doesn't pull it through the pipe and lose it but I can't seem to do it. Should I just place a buffer crate in between for the essence?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the trick to gates? I'm trying to filter coal essence so it doesn't pull it through the pipe and lose it but I can't seem to do it. Should I just place a buffer crate in between for the essence?

Buildcraft? Use an emerald pipe for pulling specific things on a whitelist. If you need to make a decision in the middle of a chain of normal transport pipes, use a diamond gate to filter the coal essence into a different area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Buildcraft? Use an emerald pipe for pulling specific things on a whitelist. If you need to make a decision in the middle of a chain of normal transport pipes, use a diamond gate to filter the coal essence into a different area.

How many items do emerald and diamond pipes let you set? I've never used buildcraft, but in AS2 I'm finding myself making 'junction' sorting chests with one input and five outputs, each with different whitelists, since i can't build good servos yet, and it's kind of stupid looking :(

Is there a way to rig things with TE conduits such that, given multiple possible outputs out of a single inventory, items will only go out a servo without any filters if it doesn't match anything else? So I could have an input into a chest, four output whitelists, and a fifth output for 'everything else' into another junction chest? (I know this problem I'm having is more easily solved by better servos, I know)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
BC's sorting pipes give you 9 slots for each colour.

And unfortunately no. The two closest ways I could think of would be to have the last servo blacklist everything the other four servos whitelisted or use the extractor (expensive!) on your outputs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

How many items do emerald and diamond pipes let you set? I've never used buildcraft, but in AS2 I'm finding myself making 'junction' sorting chests with one input and five outputs, each with different whitelists, since i can't build good servos yet, and it's kind of stupid looking :(

Is there a way to rig things with TE conduits such that, given multiple possible outputs out of a single inventory, items will only go out a servo without any filters if it doesn't match anything else? So I could have an input into a chest, four output whitelists, and a fifth output for 'everything else' into another junction chest? (I know this problem I'm having is more easily solved by better servos, I know)

This sounds way the gently caress overengineered, and I can't make any sense of what you're trying to do -- could you explain the larger thing you're trying to do?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Ah didn't know you could filter the emerald pipe, good stuff.

I've been pulling various things through a wooden pipe -> gold pipes -> filtered diamond pipes in order to sort the correct essences into their respective chests. I noticed that unless you filter the diamond pipes on each intersection a lot of stuff just gets dumped into the world. Maybe I just need to use them differently though. Also I've really gotten to love the void upgrade because it means I can just leave automated systems on forever. A flesh golem with order and aqua upgrades doing the harvesting is super fast and the hopper just makes pickup super easy so I'm very happy with my current setups and will be expanding them very soon so I have everything I need neatly sorted, I can finally move away from manual harvesting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

This sounds way the gently caress overengineered, and I can't make any sense of what you're trying to do -- could you explain the larger thing you're trying to do?

I was trying to sort "stuff that needs pulverizing and smelting", "stuff that needs smelting only", and "stuff that just needs to go into a box" out of my monolithic sieve output chest. So all the different gravels/sands/dusts, flint, redstone, glowstone, diamonds, emeralds, etc etc. It's a lot of crap!

(I'm only easily up to hardened servos since the electrum ones require hardened glass, and I don't have a good way of producing lots of obsidian yet.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Ah didn't know you could filter the emerald pipe, good stuff.

I've been pulling various things through a wooden pipe -> gold pipes -> filtered diamond pipes in order to sort the correct essences into their respective chests. I noticed that unless you filter the diamond pipes on each intersection a lot of stuff just gets dumped into the world. Maybe I just need to use them differently though. Also I've really gotten to love the void upgrade because it means I can just leave automated systems on forever. A flesh golem with order and aqua upgrades doing the harvesting is super fast and the hopper just makes pickup super easy so I'm very happy with my current setups and will be expanding them very soon so I have everything I need neatly sorted, I can finally move away from manual harvesting.

Now is probably a bad time to tell you about drawer controllers. :haw: If you put a drawer controller on a bank of physically touching storage drawers, piping items into the controller block (or any number of controller slaves on the same bank) will automatically sort the items into a drawer containing that item.

I did end up using a row of diamond pipes to filter essences with a 8-item donut pattern (converting into an ore usually) into a dedicated crafty crate, to auto-craft that essence into its main form.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I was trying to sort "stuff that needs pulverizing and smelting", "stuff that needs smelting only", and "stuff that just needs to go into a box" out of my monolithic sieve output chest. So all the different gravels/sands/dusts, flint, redstone, glowstone, diamonds, emeralds, etc etc. It's a lot of crap!

(I'm only easily up to hardened servos since the electrum ones require hardened glass, and I don't have a good way of producing lots of obsidian yet.)

Just use filters on the destination chests, and one or more servos to pull from the main chest (without any particular filtering information.) You might need more than one. If you need a "catch-all" chest for when the sort chests are full, make a dense itemduct by crafting an itemduct with, iirc, pulverized lead.

You don't need to use different detached itemducts for this; they all go along the same itemduct. It's smart enough to put stuff where it needs to go.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
A big bank of barrels would also do the trick pretty well, in AS2 I usually make an enormous rack of barrels to hold all my sifting outputs

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Also keep in mind that the only way I've been able to find to turn on keepInventory was NBTEdit. Enabling cheats while opening to LAN didn't work. I restarted the map several times early on because I fell into void in the Nether while trying to make a pigman farm.

iirc in the first room you spawn in, with the HQM book chest and the button you have to place, there's a sign behind you with a button below it you can hit to allow cheats to be enabled. I guess he added the whole cheat mode protection thing with a toggle only in the first room for people who have trouble avoiding the temptation of cheating.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Buildcraft has an item, I think it's called a list. I'm on my phone so I can't look it up but it looks like a green piece of paper. You make it in an assembly table with lasers but....

It lets you set items so that you can filter more than 9 items on a diamond pipe. It's really a good but undocumented feature. You can set to filter by item type so for example all things made of iron or all ores with just one slot on one list.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Now is probably a bad time to tell you about drawer controllers. :haw: If you put a drawer controller on a bank of physically touching storage drawers, piping items into the controller block (or any number of controller slaves on the same bank) will automatically sort the items into a drawer containing that item.

I did end up using a row of diamond pipes to filter essences with a 8-item donut pattern (converting into an ore usually) into a dedicated crafty crate, to auto-craft that essence into its main form.

Oh yeah I know about drawer controllers. I use the pipes for the jabba crates and have been using them for the farms because the void upgrade lets me dump excess and basically just ignore a farm system once it's set up. Thankfully the upgrades are pretty cheap so getting a few B-space coal crates up is a breeze. I haven't set up a drawer system though because I'm lazy :downs:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

iirc in the first room you spawn in, with the HQM book chest and the button you have to place, there's a sign behind you with a button below it you can hit to allow cheats to be enabled. I guess he added the whole cheat mode protection thing with a toggle only in the first room for people who have trouble avoiding the temptation of cheating.

Motherfucker. I never even thought to look behind me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

A big bank of barrels would also do the trick pretty well, in AS2 I usually make an enormous rack of barrels to hold all my sifting outputs

I think I might try storage drawers for this very purpose, actually, now that I know the drawer controller is a thing. I need to set up a proper wood farm, though--think I've only got like two stacks of wood since I started thanks to one lonely progressive automation machine working on one lonely spruce sapling since I started :v:

(Unless JABBA has an analogue to the drawer controller, that is...?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also it turns out Compact Chests, er, chests, can't be dollied, oohhhh nooooooooo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I think I might try storage drawers for this very purpose, actually, now that I know the drawer controller is a thing. I need to set up a proper wood farm, though--think I've only got like two stacks of wood since I started thanks to one lonely progressive automation machine working on one lonely spruce sapling since I started :v:

Jabba's answer to the drawer controller is itemducts going into the top of the barrel. You could technically do this with buildcraft, using the insertion pipe (i think it's the clay one.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So if I try to duct coal into the top of a flint barrel, but the coal barrel is next to it, it will work?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

So if I try to duct coal into the top of a flint barrel, but the coal barrel is next to it, it will work?

No -- each barrel has to have its own connection to the pipe. You just don't have to filter the itemducts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does moving a B-space barrel with a dolly destroy the contents of the system? I just noticed my completely full barrel of coal emptied after I shifted my system a little bit.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In a bit of good news, I think I figured out the little hiccups with Lockdown that should let me start players in a tutorial world while letting them then go to a dynamic overworld spawn. When I did the additions to Lockdown, instead of saving all the fresh world info, I had to load the old world info, override the generator settings, and then save it in the game save directory. I have an updated PR for Adubbz that I'll then apply to the 1.7 code so I can do this in BFSR.

Anybody have some good non-video guides on using CustomNPCs? I can't figure out a drat thing. I'm trying to make invincible, friendly mobs and then be able to move them from place-to-place as I set up stuff.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Naw do drawers. I gotta learn how to use them cause they sound amazing and people's storage racks with them always look so pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Naw do drawers. I gotta learn how to use them cause they sound amazing and people's storage racks with them always look so pretty

They're a little tedious to set up and you need a bit of planning (bigger drawers for stuff you have in quantity). There's also the issue that they don't save slots so if you take out the last zombie brain the drawer is now empty you can't just dump brains in the controller anymore, you have to fill another drawer with them. They're an excellent intermediary before you get energy storage up however and I'm kicking myself for not putting it up earlier before my chest spam got this bad.