Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I didn't know you could just balance out when you wanted.

I don't know that, it was just a guess but I've never known a lender charging 0% interest to refuse to settle the debt at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Khanstant posted:

I didn't know you could just balance out when you wanted. I don't like auto-payments in general or paying bills on time, but in any case 2 years is way too long, what if we end capitalism by then, but here I am trapped with some legacy payment plan?!?! I'm just kidding, I'm financially irresponsible and I get annoyed at myself when I have to pay for poo poo I bought in the past in the present.
Credit cards are kindve designed for this. There are enough 0% intro cards that most people should have one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Their terms let you pay in full whenever you want, so that would work. Though, now I'm starting to see that the Nexus 5x is having a lot of overheating and lag issues, particularly for PaD, which is pretty much the only abnormal thing I generally run.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ijyt posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Google Camera on their Nexus 6 since the app updated? Lots of "couldn't find the camera" and freezing crashes for me. :(

I know this is kind of super late but I just got back from vacation and all but I'm glad this is not just me.

The app can be downright unusable sometimes as it'll randomly freeze or just not be able to find the camera ever since I updated the app as well.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Moto X '14 has been doing this really great thing since updating to 6.0 where sometimes I'll pair my phone with the bluetooth in my car and the audio won't play through the car until I reboot the phone, even if I forget the bluetooth connection and reconnect. It's totally not making me want to fastball my phone through the windshield.
Welcome to a bug that has existed for month, and months and yet Motorola hasn't fixed it.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d86616f80b?page=1

This bluetooth issue is the main reason I dropped my Moto X '14 and went to a Nexus 6P because Motorola doesn't seem like they have any likely hood to fix this issue and I need bluetooth with my Moto 360.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stick100 posted:

Reinstalling the 100 or so apps is going to be a pain, as it happens I have a backup from a year ago or so in drive so I guess I'll just have to fat finger all of the rest of it side by side.

Many games/apps do not restore to Google, nor does that auto restoration always work. Beyond pod you can sign into but I'll have to eyeball my downloaded podcasts and where I was. Just a pain I was hoping to skip as it's always been easy until Marshmallow.

I'm pretty sure that Beyondpod's built-in backup option saves your podcast playing information. If it doesn't, I would assume that the cloud-sync option would.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Any goons using a NA Nexus 5x in the UK? I'm thinking of picking one up at Best Buy to use back home in the UK. I haven't bought a phone for international use since the days where you had to buy things with dual-band written on the box but it's my understanding that by and large any decent smartphone will support all GSM bands worldwide. Is this true?

A quick scan of the 5X specs page shows that LTE-FDD bands for UK carriers are supported. I'm a bit worried about the LTE-TDD no., but it seems to be another LTE tech that's not implemented in the UK for the time being and is more a East Asia thing. Am I missing anything regarding international usage?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think it's fine. Will My Phone Work has the NA 5X listed as fully compatible with all four UK LTE networks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a catch-all or placeholder number I can use to bind private numbers to a specific contact? To block them without using third party apps? On a stock Nexus 5X.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a catch-all or placeholder number I can use to bind private numbers to a specific contact? To block them without using third party apps? On a stock Nexus 5X.
Latest Google Dialer has a thing to block numbers in the settings. I'm not sure if that helps, don't know what "private numbers" are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Latest Google Dialer has a thing to block numbers in the settings. I'm not sure if that helps, don't know what "private numbers" are.

He means numbers with the caller ID blocked.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, that. The dialer calls it "private number" when the call happens. I've read things about tricking the dialer into accepting things like "RESTRICTED" and "nonumber" as phone number by the means of Google Contacts, but that doesn't do poo poo.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Truecaller?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I prefer Whitepage Caller ID to Truecaller.

Of course they both upload all your contacts to their servers so they can identify your contacts phone numbers when they call other people. I didn't realize that when I first tried them out, and once they did it, it was too late. Since I get a lot of utility out of having the caller id features, the usefulness outweighed my principles which would otherwise led me to uninstall them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Preferred not a separate dialer, but alas. Checking out Truecaller.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

Preferred not a separate dialer, but alas. Checking out Truecaller.

Whitepages Caller ID doesn't require you to use a separate dialer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Neither does Truecaller.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I'm transitioning back to iPhone after a two year adventure in Android-land. Been spending the time looking for the mythical perfect phone (battery, display, good size, wireless charging, fingerprint, etc) and it just doesn't exist. I've also taken on a new role with the company recently that requires a lot of travel in my car and communication via my phone and found that Android can be very buggy when you need it most and sometimes the phone just won't answer or act awkwardly, especially with Android Auto.

I trialed my wifes iPhone6 for a while and really was impressed with iOS9. As with Apple, the PHONE aspect never worked anything but instant (as well as the camera, which can be annoying in Android) and was really surprised as how there was zero lag whatsoever with Carplay. AA seems to suck every resource dry on any phone I've tried, even the newest Nexus 5x to unacceptable levels. Seems unreasonable to wait until I'm over a mile from my house to have Maps finally load up and begin to plot my course to my destination. Also very embarrassing when showing off my new car and cell phone technology when I receive a call and it locks up CAUSING MY CAR TO RING NON-STOP UNTIL I SHUT IT DOWN.

Anyway, that's MY annoyances with Android recently and why I'm going back to iPhone. The things I found I missed about Android was the ability to put icons wherever I want (lower right corner, nothing else anywhere on the screen please), widgets on the homescreen, and being able to assign any program to any protocol. I cannot wait for an iOS9 jailbreak to fix those problems.

I think we can sum up Android's 2015 as the year of capitulation. More than ever, Anroid users have taken the red pill and realized what a piece of poo poo Android is compared to iOS and the iPhone (Android on tablets is trash). /r/Android is further along in this process than this thread, probably because most of you have severe brain damage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

hooah posted:

Neither does Truecaller.
Noticed after installing.

I refuse to answer numbers with their caller ID blocked. But it's been going on 3-4 calls a day since before Christmas. It can't be anything important, given that no messages are being left, nor am I being sent any paper mail asking me to contact whoever the gently caress that is.

We'll see tomorrow, when the presumed telemarketer drone strikes again. Must be a telemarketer, given that various calls a day are spaced almost exactly two hours.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cremnob posted:

I think we can sum up Android's 2015 as the year of capitulation. More than ever, Anroid users have taken the red pill and realized what a piece of poo poo Android is compared to iOS and the iPhone (Android on tablets is trash). /r/Android is further along in this process than this thread, probably because most of you have severe brain damage.

Until I can plug in an iPhone via USB, drag and drop music onto it, and play said music with whichever app I want on an iPhone without restrictions, it will always be a second-class device to me. I don't like Steve Jobs telling me what I can and can't do with my phone from beyond the grave.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 29, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cremnob posted:

:downsbravo:

Such wonderful insight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android rules iOS drools

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Siri has autism like her user.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cremnob posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm really hoping MS gets their poo poo together instead of falling into apple camp.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Great Enoch posted:

Any goons using a NA Nexus 5x in the UK? I'm thinking of picking one up at Best Buy to use back home in the UK. I haven't bought a phone for international use since the days where you had to buy things with dual-band written on the box but it's my understanding that by and large any decent smartphone will support all GSM bands worldwide. Is this true?

A quick scan of the 5X specs page shows that LTE-FDD bands for UK carriers are supported. I'm a bit worried about the LTE-TDD no., but it seems to be another LTE tech that's not implemented in the UK for the time being and is more a East Asia thing. Am I missing anything regarding international usage?

Unfortunately the 5x's are garbage, they overheat, lag, and have a bunch of other hardware issues I don't see getting fixed in any way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What other hardware issues?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Noticed after installing.

I refuse to answer numbers with their caller ID blocked. But it's been going on 3-4 calls a day since before Christmas. It can't be anything important, given that no messages are being left, nor am I being sent any paper mail asking me to contact whoever the gently caress that is.

We'll see tomorrow, when the presumed telemarketer drone strikes again. Must be a telemarketer, given that various calls a day are spaced almost exactly two hours.

My anecdotal evidence is that there has been a sharp increase in automated telemarketing calls to mine and many people I know cellphones in the past year or so. I use TrueCaller and it's sadly almost necessary these days, I don't want to interrupt whatever I am doing to listen to another pitch about health insurance or a free cruise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, the lagging, overheating, and inability to use it's own hardware seem like enough, right? I'd love to be wrong about this! I love my Nexus 5 so I was pumped about the 5x, but I'm not used to google devices having problems besides whiny users or whatever. I guess, worst case scenario, I get a 5x and it'll be able to do basic bitch poo poo like look-up stuff or GPS or texting and I just avoid games on it and play Puzzle and Dragons on my old N5 with just wifi (see, I am even now trying to convince myself to buy a phone I think will get hot and not work right).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Nexus 5 also had serious overheating issues if you believe everything you read.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I mean, the lagging, overheating, and inability to use it's own hardware seem like enough, right?
I get the overheating, but what about the rest? What inability to use its own hardware?! To me that reads like redundant prose for "overheating" until you specify what it can't use.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You might be right, I've been reading a crapload of junk about this and am mixing things up. I think the overheating is related to it's 808s not being able to run for very long. The Battery is supposedly pretty bad too. Sure, I can't believe everything I read, but I have to believe something at some point, right? They don't let you rent a phone to test it out first. From googling this thing for the past 2 nights, it seems like while the 5x was getting pretty good reviews at first, with many people still recommending the 6p over it. A few of the reviews have been updates since then and mention continuing battery concerns and the lag issues. The only positive counter-anecdotes I've read have been from the android subreddit, and that's reddit, so I don't think I should use my experiences with them as a basis for anything. And even then, it seemed like the people with no issues were people who both didn't use snapchat (not going to be an issue for me either) and never played any kind of game.

Like do I assume these are edge cases and the people reporting them are just full of it or what, it seems equally folly to only consider the positive cases?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are you talking about the nexus 6 or 6p?

The nexus 6 uses an 805, I'm not sure what the 6p uses

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The 5x.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Both new nexuses are great. The 5x is cheaper and therefore less great but also smaller which some people like. You'll be happy with either, don't listen to reddit spergs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The redditors are the ones who are mostly positive about it! I guess my main point of contention is the one game I know I'll play, which is technically mitigatable since i could play it on my oold Nexus.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
From somebody who actually owns and uses a Nexus 5X: phone's great, camera is awesome, very snappy, pretty novel to have this much power in a phone that isn't a loving phablet in 2015. Only complaint is that the power button is very mushy feeling and I'm wondering how I can fix that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, anecdotes and all that but the wife and I both have 5xes and we have entered noticed any overheating. And I haven't noticed anyone in this thread complain about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure the problem isn't so much overheating as it is throttling - according to the Anandtech review you can't run the big cores for extended periods.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I dunno, I guess I'm just still firmly in the camp of people who'd rather do gaming on literally anything but a phone, but for calling, texting, browsing, taking pictures and video, normal phone stuff, it's been nothing but exceptional.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm just still firmly in the camp of people who'd rather do gaming on literally anything but a phone, but for calling, texting, browsing, taking pictures and video, normal phone stuff, it's been nothing but exceptional.

Same. Lots of tech media has been making a big deal out of the 808/810 throttling, but for most people there just isn't a use case where you're driving the big cores at 100% long enough for the throttling to be noticeable. If you're one of those people who I'll never be able to understand* doing hardcore gaming on your phone, you should probably be on iOS anyway.

It reminds me of the Samsung 950 SSD. There's people who've spent time and money to add heatsinks to theirs, because benchmarks show that the controller overheats and throttles writes after a certain period of time. Of course, no one seems to consider that full speed writes over that period of time (I don't remember exactly how long) would be enough to write something like 75% of the drive's capacity, something that never actually happens in real world usage and therefore not worth actually worrying about. Tech media is really bad at relating the difference between benchmarks and actual usage.

*People who spend lots of time on public transportation are the exception, I kind of get that. Otherwise if I'm somewhere that the only gaming device I have access to is my phone, it's because I'm doing poo poo more interesting/important/both than video games. :shrug:

Theris fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 29, 2015