Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

PUGGERNAUT posted:

There's just more options for entertainment now. So of course that means there's gonna be more crappy stuff, just by sheer numbers. It also means there's gonna be more good stuff. This goes for movies, TV, music, pretty much any type of media.

Sure there's more cooking competition shows, storage war shows, pawn shop shows, tattoo competition shows, monster makeup competition shows, chef competition shows, kid chef competition shows, survivor-type competition shows, singing competition shows, talent competition shows, house flipping competition shows, handyman competition shows, model competition shows, business startup competition shows, (scripted) reality shows about loggers, gold diggers, country singers, homophobic hillbillies, fat white trash, midgets, more midgets, YET MORE MIDGETS, vapid soulless ego-obsessed humanoids seeking romance, disgusting, monsterous, frog-voiced silicone mutants, GHOST HUNTERS, BIGFOOT HUNTERS, psychics, obnoxious, drunk, mentally ill :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I thought TV in the 80's was mostly bad. In the 90's there was stuff worth watching but my interest in it started to fade again and died after about 2002. Now I'm actually seeing shows that are interesting coming out again. Ebbs and flows.

You say this after Breaking Bad concludes.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

beatlegs posted:

Sure there's more cooking competition shows, storage war shows, pawn shop shows, tattoo competition shows, monster makeup competition shows, chef competition shows, kid chef competition shows, survivor-type competition shows, singing competition shows, talent competition shows, house flipping competition shows, handyman competition shows, model competition shows, business startup competition shows, (scripted) reality shows about loggers, gold diggers, country singers, homophobic hillbillies, fat white trash, midgets, more midgets, YET MORE MIDGETS, vapid soulless ego-obsessed humanoids seeking romance, disgusting, monsterous, frog-voiced silicone mutants, GHOST HUNTERS, BIGFOOT HUNTERS, psychics, obnoxious, drunk, mentally ill :suicide:

So you agree that modern television has increased in quality then

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Tell us how kids today have gotten lazy and that "music" they listen to is nothing but a bunch of noise too, grandpa! :allears:

Seriously, TV not only hasn't gone downhill, we live in an unprecedented golden age and that's even when I hardly watch any of it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

beatlegs posted:

Most of that poo poo is relegated to like the same group of about a dozen channels, which sounds like a lot until you realize how many channels and services exist as vehicles for TV shows. Also TV was plenty boring. bad, and samey back in the day, it is just that we can conveniently forget the bad stuff since it doesn't live on eternally in syndication and on TV Land.

Also, to address a issue raised earlier, it is a laughable point to make that popular things lead to clones and spin offs. That has been the case since the very beginning. Trends and fads are words that exist and mean what they mean for a reason.

The only reason things seem worse now is because the internet has given people a vehicle to complain about them so relentlessly that they seem like a much bigger problem than they actually are. Back in the day if you didn't have someone you could complain to in person about this poo poo (because most people didn't (and probably still don't) care that much) you kind of had to just drop it, get over it and move on, or be a weirdo who walked around mad about TV all the time. I'm sure networks received plenty of whiny letters that they ignored and that know one knew or cared were written.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TV is currently the highest quality it has ever been in the history of the medium.

TV is now a viable alternative for serious auteurs rather than just a dumping ground for people who couldn't hack it in film.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

TV is currently the highest quality it has ever been in the history of the medium.

TV is now a viable alternative for serious auteurs rather than just a dumping ground for people who couldn't hack it in film.

Not only that, but streaming means that even if a show isn't successful, it can stick around for YEARS and give people a chance to watch it. Back in the day, a show could be cancelled and pulled and that was basically the complete end of its life, regardless of its quality. Some shows even get minor extensions thanks to streaming services.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ToastyPotato posted:

Most of that poo poo is relegated to like the same group of about a dozen channels, which sounds like a lot until you realize how many channels and services exist as vehicles for TV shows. Also TV was plenty boring. bad, and samey back in the day, it is just that we can conveniently forget the bad stuff since it doesn't live on eternally in syndication and on TV Land.

Also, whether or not people think that poo poo is "quality" or not, the fact is those shows are entertaining for a lot of people, so who gives a poo poo? Not every goddamn show needs to be some high-grade storytelling auteur thing. There's space in the world for Cake Boss and Pawn Stars and Cake Pawn Starboss or whatever. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

But when you take it as a whole you can see how corrosive it is. And the influence bleeds into things that really matter, like the newsmedia. Seeking out quality shows & streaming them is nice, but that's irrelevent when it comes to the avalanche of poo poo and propaganda that Americans subject themselves to every day. Culture & politics are co-dependent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't see how cooking competition shows are corrosive to culture.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

computer parts posted:

Cooking shows aren't the problem, conspiracy shows are.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

computer parts posted:

I didn't say that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

beatlegs posted:

I didn't say that.

It's literally the first thing in your list of "terrible TV shows" at the top of the page.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Guys, guys, I don't even OWN a tv.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chimera-gui posted:

Cooking shows aren't the problem, conspiracy shows are.

Anyone have any data on the overlap of right wingers and Ancient Alien belief? Also, I honestly have a hard time placing where stuff like InfoWars falls in the RWM spectrum.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

But when you take it as a whole you can see how corrosive it is. And the influence bleeds into things that really matter, like the newsmedia. Seeking out quality shows & streaming them is nice, but that's irrelevent when it comes to the avalanche of poo poo and propaganda that Americans subject themselves to every day. Culture & politics are co-dependent.

Aside from a few specific people, newsmedia in America has always been total poo poo and propaganda. Things are better than ever because we have the limitless free speech of the internet. Most people just don't take advantage of it because they're lazy and apathetic.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I didn't bother replying, but I saw a tweet with a meme graphic about 3-4 networks not covering some politics enough.
I wanted to respond with something like, "You're complaining about TV news coverage. On Twitter."

I thought it would expose the irony of the complaint but then I thought it wasn't worth the effort.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

if anything the prevalence of screens and passive entertainment is the problem, not what people are watching. it's not like watching football or serious documentaries is any better than watching some garbage fake pawn shop show, you're still immersed in a little bubble doing nothing but staring at a screen. the internet is barely better

before all of this piped in entertainment people had to actually, go outside to talk to people, and socialize, and form clubs, or have people over to play cards, and actually build culture. if culture is being corroded at all (i dont think it is, it's just changing) then it's because technology has altered the way human beings interact on a macro scale. it has nothing to do with what people use that technology to amuse themselves with. i'm sure reality television would have been stupidly popular if it were invented in the 1950s

and yeah, americans have always been hooked on lovely media and propaganda. back in the day when it was newspapers they'd call each other lying bastards and your political affiliation could be pretty well sussed out by which papers you bought. it's just that back then crazy weirdos talking about papal conspiracies had to get on actual soapboxes or hand out pamphlets, because it wasn't all that easy to make some goofy documentary in your bedroom in the 1920s

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

beatlegs posted:

Do you only have like three channels or something? My Netflix queue doesn't have any of that stuff (unless you count Peep Show as "vapid soulless ego-obsessed humanoids seeking romance"). Reality shows are only a fraction of what's airing right now, believe it or not.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Xanderkish posted:

so who gives a poo poo?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone have any data on the overlap of right wingers and Ancient Alien belief? Also, I honestly have a hard time placing where stuff like InfoWars falls in the RWM spectrum.

Ancient Aliens belief is pretty heavily rooted in white supremacy. Von Daniken's writings, for instance, state that aliens first brought up black people from primates using genetic engineering, but deemed them a failure because they all they could do was jump around to drums and chuck spears. Then they made the people who became Middle Easterners, Asians and Native Americans from scratch, but while good, they weren't as good as what the aliens wanted. Then they tried again and made white people and they were finally happy with their work. His response to people calling it racism is just "Hey, I'm just telling people what the aliens thought, don't blame me for the aliens finding non-whites inferior".

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

beatlegs posted:

How is the media being negatively influenced by Storage Wars? Our society in terms of how people want it to be structured and how the media views the natural order of things is probably more influenced by Leave It To Beaver than any single current show, reality tv or otherwise, in our supposedly culturally compromised era.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ancient Aliens belief is pretty heavily rooted in white supremacy. Von Daniken's writings, for instance, state that aliens first brought up black people from primates using genetic engineering, but deemed them a failure because they all they could do was jump around to drums and chuck spears. Then they made the people who became Middle Easterners, Asians and Native Americans from scratch, but while good, they weren't as good as what the aliens wanted. Then they tried again and made white people and they were finally happy with their work. His response to people calling it racism is just "Hey, I'm just telling people what the aliens thought, don't blame me for the aliens finding non-whites inferior".

Yea if you notice all the ancient alien stuff is based around middle eastern and african greatness being instead attributed to loving ET. No one ever says 'you know, maybe the Parthenon was built by Mork from Ork'

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

How is the media being negatively influenced by Storage Wars?

The audience allows itself to be manipulated by ridiculously blatant scripted 'reality". The more they watch, the more their critical thinking faculties deteriorate. It dulls the mind & makes people susceptible to other forms of manipulation. People become stupider, politicians become stupider. Media needs access to stupid politicians so it legitimizes them. It's the culmination of mass entertainment media but every dumb show plays a part.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

beatlegs posted:

The audience allows itself to be manipulated by ridiculously blatant scripted 'reality". The more they watch, the more their critical thinking faculties deteriorate. It dulls the mind & makes people susceptible to other forms of manipulation. People become stupider, politicians become stupider. Media needs access to stupid politicians so it legitimizes them. It's the culmination of mass entertainment media but every dumb show plays a part.

We get it, rear end in a top hat, you watched Idocracy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I legit don't get how people think in 2016 it still in any way has even the tiny amount of 'meaning' it used to to be the guy saying 'you know some media is actually very dumb' and trying to feel superior to the proles and their (insert fad media here). Like, especially on an internet forum where a story about a person having loud anal sex in a camping trip was immortalized in a smiley that someone had to pay actual money for

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Critical Thinking seems like it's the hardest thing in the world to define.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Critical Thinking seems like it's the hardest thing in the world to define.

"Agreeing with me"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

For forty years we had a "House Un-American Activities Committee" that witch hunted people in Hollywood on the theory that they were using Hollywood movies to make Communist propaganda. People went to prison.

In the 80s there were multiple incidences of Satanic panic where people genuinely believed children were being sexually abused by Satanic cults running daycares.

The countless idiot things people believed prior to reality TV "deteriorating their critical thinking abilities" are staggering. Your theory is dumb and you are objectively wrong.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also if anything was to blame for a lack of critical thinking skills, however one defines that, you'd think the first place to point a finger to would be America's lovely education system, not a bunch of shows people watch when they're nursing a hangover Sunday morning.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy complaining about lowbrow theater and slapstick on the lower east side in 1890 posted:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"maybe unsophisticated people prefer unsophisticated entertainment? no, no, that can't be true. there must be Bad Amusements that make people dumb, and inferior"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's a guy at my work who's a stereotypical "Ew, gently caress anyone who listens to hip hop/country/Justin Beiber, I hope someone kills all those lovely 'musicians'" moron. The easiest way to get him even angrier is to just suggest to him to not listen to that stuff if he doesn't like it. Some people just can't handle the idea that things they don't like are allowed to exist.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I suppose I agree with the idea that an emphasis on cheap to produce pseudo-documentary/reality content and the soulless flogging of bankable IP to serve as a soft guarantee of returns on a product as expensive as a modern blockbuster lead to media I often find personally distasteful. On the other hand we now have essentially infinite channels of fresh content and nearly limitless archives from the past to mine at our leisure.

And of course, I mostly use this space wizard media technology to watch late 80s B movies, Cannon Films, and Kung Fu.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man if you're some kind of retard that flips between AMC TLC and the Discovery Channel, completely unaware of the existence of pay cable, DVR, Netflix, or Amazon, I could see how you would think TV has gone downhill. Otoh if you don't have massive amounts of brain damage there are lots of good things to watch.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea if you notice all the ancient alien stuff is based around middle eastern and african greatness being instead attributed to loving ET. No one ever says 'you know, maybe the Parthenon was built by Mork from Ork'

Of course stuff built by ancient white people gets attributed to ancient aliens all the time. Maybe not the Parthenon but pretty much anything in Europe that doesn't have a lot of contemporary writing does: Stonehenge or anything else with astronomical implications, vitrified forts, anything requiring a lot of heavy lifting or with associated supernatural stories attached right through the Roman era. That's leaving out any sort of mideast/near east stuff with biblical connections where white supremacists happily go through the mental gymnastics to insist that the important people were white in a way their modern descendants are not.

I mean, I'm not disputing that ancient alien theories have a lot of white supremacist bullshit, but if the grander ones focus on stuff outside Europe it's just because most of the sufficiently "exotic" sites are outside of Europe, not because they don't dogpile on anything modestly grand done by ancient whites.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

beatlegs posted:

I know lack of originality/quality is nothing new, but the sudden growth of awfulness in American culture over the last 15 years or so is laughably obvious. But... I guess there were a lot of signs pointing to it happening well before then.

Well, the good news is we're going to make America great again!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand POST!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

beatlegs posted:

So this is what it's like to watch other people on the internet get old.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Killer robot posted:

I mean, I'm not disputing that ancient alien theories have a lot of white supremacist bullshit, but if the grander ones focus on stuff outside Europe it's just because most of the sufficiently "exotic" sites are outside of Europe, not because they don't dogpile on anything modestly grand done by ancient whites.

Yeah, like (at least from an American perspective) there's very little in Europe that's really old and not sufficiently explained already (eg, a church is going to be built by Christians, not by ancient aliens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

Ok, and? They've done that to tons of show ever since I was a little kid. Do you just hate Spongebob?

They played L&O regular way more often than SVU then, largely because they had a much larger stock of original L&O episodes to replay. And they got great ratings.

You seem really angry at super standard TV stuff, and have a weird misconception that this only happened in the 2000s.

No, you're off base. The massive oversaturation of popular T.V. shows is strictly a post-2000 phenomenon.

And I like Spongebob. I just don't like it enough to watch eight thousand episodes per day.