Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nova squadron's gonna try to get registered as a non-profit so we can have themed license plates. I love the drive of the retired military guys running the group. They have nothing better to do so they organize charity events and stunts like this lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Nova squadron's gonna try to get registered as a non-profit so we can have themed license plates. I love the drive of the retired military guys running the group. They have nothing better to do so they organize charity events and stunts like this lol.

Chilly Chill, you travel to PA for Wangs. I've noticed no store championship for Mr. Nice Guy's this time around. Any idea on where the next best place to go would be? Also when do we typically get dates? I'm thinking of going to the one in Indiana, PA.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

Chilly Chill, you travel to PA for Wangs. I've noticed no store championship for Mr. Nice Guy's this time around. Any idea on where the next best place to go would be? Also when do we typically get dates? I'm thinking of going to the one in Indiana, PA.

FFG store championships have already been posted. Unfortunately, due to FFG's ancient way of posting it, they don't include dates, only locations. You'll have to call each store individually and hope you're talking to the person in charge of events. It's really dumb and bad and I only know about these things cuz some kind soul posts each date on the nova squad event page.

And the maddening thing? You can't even find the drat page for it on their site. I only knew about it from the FFG organized play facebook page. MTG might screw around with lowering all their OP stuff but at least they have a functioning store and event page tracker.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/2016-store-championship-locations/

E: unfortunately I've only ever been to MNGG so idk how those other places in pittsburg are like.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 28, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

imperialparadox posted:

Green dice man, green dice. :v:

Green dice exist to betray you. That's why crap like autothrusters and Lone Wolf are so good. They give you a chance to get your hopes up before the dice crush you anyway.

But also yes, Juke on Omega Lead is pretty fantastic. Brobots in particular are exceptionally tough for 2 attack ships to deal with, but any 3 agility ship with evade or focus is really rough.

TIE/FO's are still pretty fragile though. Most list can get more than 1 ship firing on him at a time, and then his pilot ability can't help so much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

FFG store championships have already been posted. Unfortunately, due to FFG's ancient way of posting it, they don't include dates, only locations. You'll have to call each store individually and hope you're talking to the person in charge of events. It's really dumb and bad and I only know about these things cuz some kind soul posts each date on the nova squad event page.

And the maddening thing? You can't even find the drat page for it on their site. I only knew about it from the FFG organized play facebook page. MTG might screw around with lowering all their OP stuff but at least they have a functioning store and event page tracker.

E: unfortunately I've only ever been to MNGG so idk how those other places in pittsburg are like.

It's fun when pages like that completely ignore the rest of the world.

Anyone know if there's a master list of non-US tournaments? I'm signed up to the ones reasonably near to me already but I want to investigate some of the further afield ones if they have decent prizes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

But also yes, Juke on Omega Lead is pretty fantastic. Brobots in particular are exceptionally tough for 2 attack ships to deal with, but any 3 agility ship with evade or focus is really rough.

TIE/FO's are still pretty fragile though. Most list can get more than 1 ship firing on him at a time, and then his pilot ability can't help so much.

Yeah, you gotta play the long game with Omega Leader. He's hell on wheels in a 1on1 situation, but melts like any other TIE if focus fired.

I've taken to using him as bait in the same way I sometimes use Soontir as bait. You rarely want one of those two to be the last enemy ship on the board, and many players will take the bait.

That's when the other five TIE fighters chew into them from behind.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

jassi007 posted:

MNG's didn't see the signups, they're talking to FFG to try to get added. Phantom of the Attic would be my second choice in the area, they do wangs every week. Drawbridge doesn't have much room, if you're planning on going to that go early to make sure you get a spot. Never been to Games Unlimited or any of the other stores in PA.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Games Unlimited is an awesome store. Very clean, and caters more towards the general public. I'm surprised they have a Store Champ because I don't remember them having tables, but maybe it has a back room.

Phantom of the Attic is an attic-style comic book shop converted to a game store when the comic shop moved across the street. It's a bit cramped but also a decent store.

I've never heard of the other store.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Games Unlimited is apparently buying a kit for one of the guys in the pittsburgh xwing group to host. It'll be at some hall somewhere, details are a bit sketchy.

Also if you play xwing in pittsburgh regularly you should join the Facebook group

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I am just getting into this. Are Y wings viable if i want to win or just a comedy option?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ywings are very good. Turrets rock.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

I am just getting into this. Are Y wings viable if i want to win or just a comedy option?

Y-Wings are great as a twin laser turret platform. Otherwise, not so much.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Scum Ion Cannon Turret Y-Wings with the Unhinged Astromech are also great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's the best robot trash can to put in the back of a Horton TLT Y-Wing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Otisburg posted:

What's the best robot trash can to put in the back of a Horton TLT Y-Wing?

Depends what you want out of it. R2 astromech gives you a LOT of extra greens for a y-wing but unless you're getting stressed by something frequently, the turret means you won't really need them. R3A2 for stressbottery. R5K6 for extra locks. Other than that, not really sure. You have a decent number of reds so Targetting Astromech might also work.

Overally unless you want stressbot I like R5K6 best though, because you can potentially get TLs on every shot you take.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Does Munitions Failsafe work for bombs? I'm guessing no?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Target Locks are pointless on Horton if he's using the TLT since his ability allows him to reroll blanks.

I'd say either R2 for the greens, R2-D6 for the EPT or nothing. Horton doesn't especially need an Astromech.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

Does Munitions Failsafe work for bombs? I'm guessing no?

It does not; bombs don't attempt to hit or miss, they just (maybe) do damage the same way asteroids do. Not to mention that the failsafe, if it were to trigger, would do so when the bomb is launched and there's nothing to trigger it then.

Endman posted:

Target Locks are pointless on Horton if he's using the TLT since his ability allows him to reroll blanks.

I'd say either R2 for the greens, R2-D6 for the EPT or nothing. Horton doesn't especially need an Astromech.
Lets you not need to bother with focus though. But yeah, the EPT one is probably better.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, I couldn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd ask in my favourite SW thread: What are good ships for both sides to get when starting out with Armada? As I was just given the starter/core set for it as a late Christmas present a couple of hours before flying overseas (haven't played it yet, but looking forward to it).

I know for x-wing "buy everything that looks cool" is good advice (but expensive - only missing a couple of non-epic ships, which I plan on fixing in the not-too-distant future), however I was wondering if there are particularly solid expansions that will find a lot of use in a variety of fleet compositions (sort of like the xwing ace packs I guess)

So yeah, thanks for any info! FFG are gonna empty my wallet in the new year with the new xwing packs and Armada, I can feel it..

(Oh also, anybody got any good storage suggestions for Armada? Since I don't think they'll fit very well into my current double-sided Plano case, if I were to buy a second. Hard to say though)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658006

Is what you are looking for.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

It does not; bombs don't attempt to hit or miss, they just (maybe) do damage the same way asteroids do. Not to mention that the failsafe, if it were to trigger, would do so when the bomb is launched and there's nothing to trigger it then.

But most importantly, bombs aren't secondary weapons.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Literally the first real list I've ever done. Trying to fit Poe, Jake and Keyan into a single list, but I think I've just made Jake very fast, but with no real hitting power:

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Total: 98

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Man, when does the Ghost come out? Though I probably need to get a second base set before then (I'll try to get the new one) so I have enough dice...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Keiya posted:

Man, when does the Ghost come out? Though I probably need to get a second base set before then (I'll try to get the new one) so I have enough dice...

still on the boat :( can't release fast enough

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

lenoon posted:

Literally the first real list I've ever done. Trying to fit Poe, Jake and Keyan into a single list, but I think I've just made Jake very fast, but with no real hitting power:

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

It's not that bad, but I'd argue you're better off ditching Kyle and the proton torpedoes for either Push the Limit and a Mangler Cannon or just slap on a Heavy Laser Cannon and call it a day.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lenoon posted:

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

You will find that Jake is fast and doesn't hit hard TBH. If you want him to hit hard (once) get him some Proton Rockets. As it is, get him a Test Pilot title and Veteran Instincts.

Your Keyan is a bit off, too. B-Wing/e2 is good but not amazing for this list; I'd prefer to see the whole loadout replaced with an HLC and not a lot else. You can use the spare points to slot in Autothrusters on one of the other two. You expect Keyan to joust a bit and then die, whilst the other two harry and flank.

It is a properly challenging list to build though, it has SO little space in it for the upgrades.

Keiya posted:

February-ish is the best guess. I need to get another core set too, though, of course, one core set doesn't have enough dice for itself anyway, since an X Wing with a range 1 bonus is 4 attack dice and a TIE with a range 3 bonus is 4 defence dice...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Is there currently a reason to get more than 1 TFA core set? I have a 2 OG core sets + lots of other ships. I really just want to fly Poe. Also yes Ghost needs to release asap because i want to run Ghost, Phantom 2x A-Wings for my Star Wars Rebels list very much bad.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jassi007 posted:

Is there currently a reason to get more than 1 TFA core set? I have a 2 OG core sets + lots of other ships. I really just want to fly Poe. Also yes Ghost needs to release asap because i want to run Ghost, Phantom 2x A-Wings for my Star Wars Rebels list very much bad.

Nope. One of the main reasons a second OG core was a good bargain is that more TIEs = better than. That's not really the case with TIEs/fo. If you want more of them, at least the blisters come with juke.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jassi007 posted:

Only as a cheap way to get more TIE/FO and T70 minis TBH. It's cheaper to get a core set than two TIE/FOs and a T70. Or if you want multiples of the core set upgrades, but they're none of them amazing.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

lenoon posted:

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)

Keyan Farlander (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Kyle Katarn (3)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

I was trying something similar but I've been trying a Poe + Miranda list instead of Keyan... not sure what to do with the extra A-wing, really.

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I've been running a team of two T-70 X-Wings versus my friend's four TIE/fos while we acclimate to the game, and so far I can say that for a rookie pilot like me:
1) Omega Leader with Juke feels incredibly strong. When we play together I basically have to sic both X-Wings on his Omega Leader immediately and kill him first. This mostly has to be done with tight weaving through asteroid fields and other TIEs, so the BB-8 and PTL (which I am proxying) combo has helped a lot in that regard. I've also been using the Integrated Astromech that came with my T-70 expansion, but I'm considering exchanging it for Autothrusters - this is all on Poe, I mean.
2) I had been hoping to run a squad of all T-70s to better fit my ideal - New Trilogy era pilot team! - but the Ello Asty that came in the expansion feels too expensive for what he does. The Talon Roll is probably one of my favorite maneuvers period once I've engaged in a dogfight properly, to the point where I will stop doing the Barrel Roll/Focus/move/Boost combo I usually stick to as Poe to get a nicely-timed Talon Roll, but Ello Asty is thirty fuckin' points man

My friend has the Rebel and Imperial Aces packs coming in the mail, and I think I'm buying another TFA core set for an extra copy of the damage deck and more templates/dice/another X-Wing, but so far the T-70 pilots seem... underwhelming? Outside of Poe Dameron. Red and Blue Ace can't even equip Elite upgrades, which is confusing, since Red Squadron Veteran can, and I just can't seem to fit Ello Asty into a team with Poe without having a generic "this guy is a redshirt" Blue Squadron Novice flying around running interference.

I'm kinda hoping they release a Resistance Aces so I can get a pre-painted Black Leader model and hopefully a few of the other named pilots from The Force Awakens (I have no rational reason for liking Snap Wexley except that I'm the One Guy who liked Matt Parkman on Heroes) to fill out a squad of T-70s, unless someone better than me has advice/can point out that I'm an idiot about Ello.

EDIT: I've been trying not to proxy cards that I won't have access to before next Monday, my local game shop's X-Wing night, but I think that's actually been counterproductive in helping me figure out what ships and whatever that I want to buy. I should probably test before I just impulse-buy a StarViper that I will probably never use? I think? Also man I really wanna buy that Millennium Falcon in the game shop

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 29, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

1: OL is very strong. He's also expensive considering how fragile he is. You're right to focus fire him to death though, especially if you can do it before he shoots and force him to spend that evade.

2: Bear in mind that pilot skill is mostly what you're paying for. Ello gets PS7 and can take VI, which means he can act at PS9 which is getting him into ace territory. Red Ace lacking Elite is annoying, but give her Comm Relay and R2D2 and she's incredibly hard to take down even without it.

But I'd advise getting an original core set if you want another. Having duplicate stuff is less useful than having non-duplicate stuff, and R2D2 in particular is a very nice upgrade which comes in the core set.

It's highly unlikely anyone at your local X-Wing night will give a poo poo if you proxy, unless it's a tournament. Go nuts, build lists you like, then worry about buying the stuff after you've figured out whether you DO like them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poe and Ello Asty are a pretty good combo, man. A local friend of mine plays them.

Ello is great because you can't get behind him and stay behind him. For that reason alone, he's really good anti-ace material, especially if you give him Veteran Instincts.

Edit: Omega Leader with Juke is really good 1on1 but fares little better against multiple enemies than any other TIE fighter.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Omega Leader with Juke is what Wes has been waiting for years to feast on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How do Daredevil and R2 Astromech interact? I know that Daredevil was errata'ed?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deviant posted:

How do Daredevil and R2 Astromech interact? I know that Daredevil was errata'ed?

R2 Astromech doesn't affect upgrade card (or damage card, or ion token) text. Daredevil instructs you to perform a white 1-hard maneuver and then receive a stress token. Because Daredevil is instructing you to perform a white maneuver, you perform a white maneuver. You receive the stress token after the maneuver anyway, though, so it wouldn't change anything if it was green, because the only person who could do it while stressed and potentially clear a stress is Tycho, who doesn't have an Astromech slot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

drat.

That brings me to this silly gimmick then. I think it's probably poo poo, though.

98 points

PILOTS

Ello Asty (35)
T-70 X-Wing (30), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Kyle Katarn (23)
HWK-290 (21), Jan Ors (2)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deviant posted:

drat.

That brings me to this silly gimmick then. I think it's probably poo poo, though.

98 points

PILOTS

Ello Asty (35)
T-70 X-Wing (30), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R2-D2 (4), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Kyle Katarn (23)
HWK-290 (21), Jan Ors (2)

I think Ello Atsy is a bit expensive for what he brings to the table in this list. Also give these guys some Integrated Astromechs, drat. Ello would be pretty hilarious with R5-X3 if you don't feel like blowing the droid up, too. Tallon rolling onto a rock and not giving a single gently caress sounds like a good time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Strobe posted:

I think Ello Atsy is a bit expensive for what he brings to the table in this list. Also give these guys some Integrated Astromechs, drat. Ello would be pretty hilarious with R5-X3 if you don't feel like blowing the droid up, too. Tallon rolling onto a rock and not giving a single gently caress sounds like a good time.

Fair. Something like this might be better.

98 points

PILOTS

Poe Dameron [R2-D2, Comm Relay, Juke, Integrated Astromech] (40)

“Blue Ace” [BB-8, Integrated Astromech] (29)

Kyle Katarn [Twin Laser Turret, Jan Ors] (29)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Finster Dexter posted:

I was trying something similar but I've been trying a Poe + Miranda list instead of Keyan... not sure what to do with the extra A-wing, really.

Poe Dameron (31)
Push the Limit (3)
BB-8 (2)
Autothrusters (2)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Prototype Pilot (17)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Maybe it is just me but I don't really like putting torpedoes on Miranda - yeah it's cool that she can add a dice for an extra whallop but maneuvering her into a good firing solution is kinda tough. That said if you did do that, extra munitions might be cool - I mean people fly those things with Tacticians on them and that is even harder to hit with than a Proton Torpedo, forgetting the TL requirement.

I don't think I've ever put ordnance on an A-Wing that wasn't Proton Rockets, since they are so built for them - although launching Procks at PS 1 is a bit of a challenge. One silly version of your list I just put together is dropping torpedoes from Miranda, giving her Recon Specialist instead so you have focus available for both TLT shots. Then dropping the Prototype Pilot in favor of Gemmer Sojan with Chardaan Refit and Autothrusters. He's rarely used because he's pretty toothless, but an extra evade at range 1 plus AT means he probably isn't going to be a priority target and can hopefully sidle up behind someone and hang out there dropping 3 dice.

Not a super competitive idea but it seems fun to me haha

Also do you guys like Advanced SLAM without bombs? I feel like it's often less useful if you can't also drop a bomb at the end of your super move.

• Locked thread