Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I recently aquired another copy of Ca$h N Gunz 1st ed that has all the parts except four of the foam guns, so now I have 8 guns. What do people think I should do to put the game up to 8 players?

I was thinking add six $5k, six $10k, and four $20k from the second set to keep the money ratio roughly the same, and deal out seven bills each round. Otherwise play as normal. It'll probably be more bloody but eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Aerosol explosives?

I blame SwiftKey.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What do people think of Artipia Games generally?

Archon is pretty cool, it's a card driven worker placement with variable power workers. Among the Stars is a decent enough drafting game, I've only played it a couple of times though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any word on how good / bad / meh Tail Feathers is? I love the theme, but apparently Mice and Mystics was average at best so I’m hesitant about this one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Chill la Chill posted:

Ooh looks neat.
Final Attack! is very adequately described as "anime Space Alert." It's also a bunch of other things-- real-time worker placement, social game, etc. The initial idea going forth was to clean up a lot of the rough edges of Space Alert, but it still feels very similar without completely diluting the concept. I feel, for example, that "struggling to survive against an invincible shape-shifting Monster of the Week" hits the notes more accurately than Space Cadets' "Fly the Defiant with a crew of special snowflakes" does.

homullus posted:

The people I play games with the most IRL do not like Space Alert. I had planned to PnP Final Attack, but that now seems like a lot of effort for something that might fizzle. If I recall, they're different enough that they might like it, but :effort:
The upside is that FA! is very unique from SA enough to not fully replace it. Space Alert does the dark comedy portion better, and Final Attack! has better pacing. However, if your friends hate Space Alert, they'll probably hate Final Attack! largely because I've found that certain people (Dice Tower staff, mainly) just absolutely loving abhor real-time games of any kind. It's even worse if they're the type of person to roll their eyes when they call a game a Party Game.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm pretty sure BL's goal was to make a board game that'd be impossible to recreate in video game format, so there were lots of things like "You must point at the person you're talking to" or "hold onto the box at all times" and etc effects. Not to mention the game was realtime. It'd be like trying to PBP Space Alert.
This is absolutely true. I attempted to make the game Tabletop Simulator-proof.

Chomp8645 posted:

Final Attack 2015 End of Year Status: Not dead.

This is big news!
The Big Issue vis-à-vis the future of Final Attack! is that, well, when I started the whole project a few years back Kickstarter was a different landscape. It was a place for bright minds to push ideas and make them into reality. It's now a storefront for established companies who in most cases obviously have alternate, equally effective revenue streams or storefront options. It's still one of the best (and only) available options for me to make my game happen, but the crowdfunding game has changed. I didn't want to admit it going in-- I thought I was bigger and smarter than the truth, but the only way to compete in the KS ecosystem is to already have a significant amount of money on hand and a product that is already 95% complete. This is a shift not unlike the rise of unpaid internships, where a barrier has been erected that keeps out people that can't afford to get in the door. The vast majority of my effort and struggles getting the game back online is related to getting enough money to afford to ask for money.

As it stands, I've just been, well, working at my lovely day job and saving cash. :smith: It's really pathetic, but it's all I can do outside of loans with exorbitant rates.

The upside is that I've had plenty of time to clean up the rougher edges of the game, make the economically sound but less fun parts of the game way more fun, set up cool rewards for the upcoming campaign, and even work on content reserved for the sequel/expansion pack. I've also worked on my other games (including putting a few projects to bed forever and bringing a couple projects from the grave), to the point where I have a good roadmap of what to do with any extra money leftover from a successful campaign, unlike apparently literally every other board game company except CGE.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's awesome BL, you know that I'll back it as soon as it becomes available, I can't wait :)

Also, Ships, the new Wallace game. I love Automobile so is it any good?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The upside is that I've had plenty of time to clean up the rougher edges of the game, make the economically sound but less fun parts of the game way more fun, set up cool rewards for the upcoming campaign, and even work on content reserved for the sequel/expansion pack. I've also worked on my other games (including putting a few projects to bed forever and bringing a couple projects from the grave), to the point where I have a good roadmap of what to do with any extra money leftover from a successful campaign, unlike apparently literally every other board game company except CGE.

Are you still working on the Castlevania 3v1 game? Definitely looking forward to that if you can ever get it off the ground.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This is absolutely true. I attempted to make the game Tabletop Simulator-proof.

Why?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

taser rates posted:

Are you still working on the Castlevania 3v1 game? Definitely looking forward to that if you can ever get it off the ground.

Castlemania will be Xv1, where X currently is 1-4. I think if I made the Boss Team any larger then things would get unwieldy. Prototyping it got too pricey (and the VASSAL version too much a pain in the rear end) and I put the project on pause a couple months ago. I still love it and am gonna flesh out a ton of progress on it probably in January. It's currently a complete set of rules and a bunch of unbalanced components.

My primary other project right now is The Crane Problem, which actually started as a discussion here a couple years back. It's an economic engine Euro simulator type deal about owning and operating a holocaust. where a portal has opened up over the skies of Wichita and has begun dumping an infinite number of duplicates of the same origami crane onto the world, and you run a government-sponsored company attempting to dispose of them all while attempting to discern some sort of long-term answer. A Final Solution, if you will.

A while back, I read an article about how board games were the last bastion of face-to-face on the couch gaming, like Goldeneye and such used to be. I thought really long and hard about it and tried to see how far FA! (which was in alpha at the time) could push the medium, so to speak. Making it virtual tabletop-proof was actually just a side effect; the intended goal was to make a game that did things only a board game could do.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 29, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When is the poop jacuzzi Kickstarter happening

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CodfishCartographer posted:

When is the poop jacuzzi Kickstarter happening

it would just be a reskin of skull

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

Also, Ships, the new Wallace game. I love Automobile so is it any good?

Yeah if you like spending 75% of the game time for 25% of the points, I thought it was pretty bad. You do all this stuff, but really it's the last 10 minutes that mean anything. I'm selling mine. Yes there's a way to avoid this but it basically requires meta gaming to make sure you don't get to the end point on the map.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You know your Wallaces Lorini so I guess I'll give it a miss. It's a shame cause automobile just works so well for me.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
drat you Lorini. I bought Ships based partially on your initial enthusiasm! :S

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I love Lorini, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of her copy of Nippon. :3:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

My primary other project right now is The Crane Problem, which actually started as a discussion here a couple years back. It's an economic engine Euro simulator type deal about owning and operating a holocaust. where a portal has opened up over the skies of Wichita and has begun dumping an infinite number of duplicates of the same origami crane onto the world, and you run a government-sponsored company attempting to dispose of them all while attempting to discern some sort of long-term answer. A Final Solution, if you will.

That's...abjectly awful, Bloosey. Made worse by the fact that I was actually born and raised an hour outside of Wichita.

You should clearly be disposing of the people and making room for the cranes. You'd get a much nicer city. :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Weren't people saying there was a Codenames VASSAL mod? I don't see it anywhere on their site.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

A while back, I read an article about how board games were the last bastion of face-to-face on the couch gaming, like Goldeneye and such used to be. I thought really long and hard about it and tried to see how far FA! (which was in alpha at the time) could push the medium, so to speak. Making it virtual tabletop-proof was actually just a side effect; the intended goal was to make a game that did things only a board game could do.

Seems if you try to do one of these you'll get the other anyway?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Countblanc posted:

Weren't people saying there was a Codenames VASSAL mod? I don't see it anywhere on their site.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/123179/codenames-demo-vassal

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes was a riot. I had great fun with it last night

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Gave Codenames another spin without two of my friends who have quite an overbearing personality and hate effort in games and it was an absolute blast. My spymaster is a hardcore Marxist and gave the clue "enemy 2", which allowed us to win after I named "Capital" and "Police".

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am a Tabletop Simulator hater, seeing as it does nothing VASSAL can't do aside from monkeycheese (FYI this word is no longer underlined by my Firefox spellchecker) and costs money, so when a Steam acquaintance of mine tried to get me in on a four-pack of those, I indignantly told him to stuff it.

His response was "BUT VASSAL DOESN'T HAVE MGS-THEMED RISK!"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I love when people argue that Arkham Horror is a tactical game full of suspense instead of a gigantic luck based clusterfuck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At tonight's game meetup met someone so scarred by dice that he refuses to touch Roll for the Galaxy. :v:

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

plester1 posted:

I got Mysterium and Blood Rage for xmas. Any first-timer tips for these games, like rules that often get missed?

Easily missed Mysterium rules:
- the v/x tokens don't always come back to you after use. I think you only get them back if you guess correctly.
- when someone guesses their object correctly and their pawn is put on the final board, they get clairvoyance points (or whatever those are called) equal to the remaining hours on the clock
- when the ghost uses a crow, he doesn't have to dump his full hand, he can choose how many cards to discard. He then draws back up to 7.
- ghost discards are not public information (you can houserule this to play with difficulty level)
House rule we did after a couple of plays:
We don't use the timer, but we do have the dream cards all revealed at the same time. We originally didn't, but our players were too tempted to do implied communication. (i.e. one player goes "oh boy it's one of these two guys for sure, if only I got some dream card with metal on it, then it would be obvious!"...ghost hands him a card full of nuts and bolts)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ha ha, this is too perfect :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
"If you play a game of CE that isn't amazing, it's the fault of one of the players, not the fault of the game. The game is perfect."

JFC

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

"If you play a game of CE that isn't amazing, it's the fault of one of the players, not the fault of the game. The game is perfect."

JFC

This is unironically true of space alert though

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is unironically true of space alert though

90% of the population would say 90% of the games discussed here are "too hard," I think we can all agree that those people are normie scum.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Bottom Liner posted:

Congratulations, you ruined something beautiful.

I'm here to serve.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PerniciousKnid posted:

90% of the population would say 90% of the games discussed here are "too hard," I think we can all agree that those people are normie scum.

I'm always super wary of introducing "normies" to board games, because for every successful convert, I have half a dozen who say "Coup is a badly designed awful game, let's play Monopoly."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

Ha ha, this is too perfect :allears:

I was at the local board game store up here yesterday, I was disappointed to find them sold out of Cosmic Encounter. I really want to play this game, I bet the sorts of people I play with would love it.

They were also sold out of Fields of Fire, Space Empires 4X, and the first Twilight Imperium expansion. I had to be content with the France and Belgium deck for Agricola, which I got for $15, way cheaper than I have ever seen it online.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The dumbest thing

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

why :negative:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elysium posted:

I'm here to serve.

Huh, you at least picked ones with lots of double meanings.

Edit: because there is so much overlap in meanings, that is a really tough board.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 29, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

I like to think he spent a lot of time and sweat on this project.

Edit: 4am, Elysium wakes suddenly. "Pussy!" He scribbles furiously on the notepad on his night stand, smiles slightly, and lays back down to a satisfied sleep.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 29, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Possibly my mind isn't dirty enough, but most of them seem to have a single NSFW meaning, which is missing the point of Codenames completely. You could make a version that uses only names of one-word TV shows, too, and be just almost as misguided.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elysium posted:

I'm here to serve.

If you can't make Codenames dirty out of the box, you're just not trying hard enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Seriously, I can't get over how loving bad that is. That is worse than all of Rutibex's posts combined.

I hope Vlaada murders you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elysium posted:

I'm here to serve.

"Your mom - 25"