Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Regarding 1, it's shown on the budget window. If you look near the bottom of the tab there's a spot that will tell you how many provinces you have, and your total development.

I forgot about that. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
2 - No, when you convert them they will go away and it is unlikely you will have enough provinces to keep them happy so giving them a province will just add 10RR to it. Eat the +2.5% tech cost.

3 - Economic if you are going for all the gold in east Africa, which you should. Alternatively take Exploration and colonize Southeast Asia and Africa and you should hit 500 pretty easily. It will also provide a base to take over Malaysia and funnel that trade to your nodes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arzakon posted:

2 - No, when you convert them they will go away and it is unlikely you will have enough provinces to keep them happy so giving them a province will just add 10RR to it. Eat the +2.5% tech cost.

3 - Economic if you are going for all the gold in east Africa, which you should. Alternatively take Exploration and colonize Southeast Asia and Africa and you should hit 500 pretty easily. It will also provide a base to take over Malaysia and funnel that trade to your nodes.

Good point about the pocket of gold provinces. Kilwa is actually impressively large somehow and I can't quite take them out or their allies yet (40k troops, really?,) but they're in my sights for sure.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why are my early armies getting their rear end beat so bad? What changed in this new DLC/update?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jaegerx posted:

Why are my early armies getting their rear end beat so bad? What changed in this new DLC/update?

I always like to pretend my discipline is 10% lower than what is displayed in the game. Living in this delusion explains your quandary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Holy poo poo, how did I not know about shift-clicking the "consolidate regiments" button? That makes a huge difference!

(it turns your army into as many 1,000 man regiments as it can but keeps the 0 man regiments around to reinforce)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gort posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I not know about shift-clicking the "consolidate regiments" button? That makes a huge difference!

(it turns your army into as many 1,000 man regiments as it can but keeps the 0 man regiments around to reinforce)

!!!!!!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Gort posted:

It literally tells you this if you mouse over the consolidate regiments button.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I wish the game would automatically shift click the consolidate button before a battle for you.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Node posted:

So I finally got a decent start going as Najd for Jihad (which I doubt I will be able to complete this time, my start was terribly slow) and a couple questions arise.

1) Is there something in the ledger that shows me exactly how many provinces I have? I know there is a graph that gives you a general idea, but I am wondering if I can get a precise number.

2) If I plan on converting every single province I have, do I want to waste my time giving provinces to the Dhimmi? Or should I just ignore that warning and wait until it goes away when I convert everything to Sunni.

3) Fourth idea group: Economic or Religious? Religious fits perfectly thematically, but I am doing okay converting things since I have Custodian of the Two Cities and I'm keeping my piety up. Granted, low piety is generally better. Economic sounds nice since my provinces are mostly poo poo and I have a terrible income, and the help from autonomy reduction will be great. I'm breaching Persia and I'll be able to get to the riches of India eventually. I may try the cheesy way of blocking off India and coring everything there as distant overseas, if that still works.

4) Its 1607. I have 79 provinces and maybe 15 or so as vassals. The Ottomans beat me to Egypt and Jerusalem, but they're my ally at least. I can tear through India and China as best as I can. Do I have any chance, or should I consider this a practice run?

If anyone is curious, I went Administrative -> Trade -> Offensive.

As Najd you are an Asian nation so you can't core India as distant overseas, it will be full cost. For cheaper provinces try expanding into Africa.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Back To 99 posted:

I wish the game would automatically shift click the consolidate button before a battle for you.

You don't always want to do it, it's a tradeoff. A full strength regiment will handily beat one that isn't, but if consolidating makes your combat width shorter than theirs and they get flanking bonuses, they'll get a huge bonus against you even if their regiments are more depleted.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And reinforcements are on a per regiment basis, so you actually reinforce faster if you're filling 20 half-strength regiments than 10 no-strength ones. The flip side of that is that it's cheaper to only reinforce the 10 at a time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Back To 99 posted:

This would be really bad if it caused you to be outflanked. Getting outflanked is often worse than having weakened regiments.

Small QOL request: I need a "recall agent" button on the popup you get when you get caught fabricating claims. I'm so used to just dismissing it and not thinking about it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

PittTheElder posted:

And reinforcements are on a per regiment basis, so you actually reinforce faster if you're filling 20 half-strength regiments than 10 no-strength ones. The flip side of that is that it's cheaper to only reinforce the 10 at a time.

The reinforcement system is kinda bizarre really - ten regiments of 900 men will reinforce about 1,000 men in a month, while nine regiments of 1,000 men and one regiment of 0 men will reinforce about 100 men in a month, despite the army having the same number of men in total and the same number missing. Maybe for Europa 5 it would be better if you just said, "This army will max out at 15,000 infantry, 15,000 artillery and 4,000 cavalry" and then the game fills up the regiments one at a time at a constant reinforcement rate each month.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Does anyone have any tips for Byzantine? I've tried rushing an Alliance with Hungary and Poland with a dip rep advisor and even tried better relations guy to see if it helped. Ottomans always declare before anyone will even consider an alliance. I thought I had a chance when they took a mission to eat serbia but that change to make AI want continuous borders seemed to make them want to kill me first.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Too Poetic posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Byzantine? I've tried rushing an Alliance with Hungary and Poland with a dip rep advisor and even tried better relations guy to see if it helped. Ottomans always declare before anyone will even consider an alliance. I thought I had a chance when they took a mission to eat serbia but that change to make AI want continuous borders seemed to make them want to kill me first.

Restart until you have a diplomatic reputations advisor and can ally Poland before Ottomans invades you.

That's basically it.

Note that you're probably still screwed even if you manage this first step, because (as I've personally experienced) if you make one wrong step the Ottos can still chew through the entire armies of Poland, Lithuania, and Hungary and still have half their manpower reserve left over.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the AI spams shipyards because I keep wiping their fleets or if it's just not smart enough to know they are a waste.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

After ten thousand years, I've finally completed "first come, first serve" (unite the americas as a western tech custom nation). Tips for anyone who wants to follow suit:

• Don't. Like every game in the Americas, you will spend many, many decades on 5x, micromanaging colonies. The beginning is fun, the end is fun, the middle is incredibly tedious.
  • The natives are not your real enemy. Neither is Spain, nor Portugal, nor any of the other colonizing powers. They are your friends. Your enemy is the vast, open, uncolonized spaces of the Americas. I managed to knock Spain out of the Americas entirely very early, by taking every colony they set down on the coast until the interior was sealed off. This was a huge mistake, and probably delayed the end of the game by decades!
  • On the other hand, if you can get any helpful colonizing vassals, that can speed things up considerably. In my game, Flanders ended up (a) colonizing Newfoundland and then (b) losing all of their European territory; vassalizing them and then heavily* subsidizing them let them colonize a pretty decent amount of territory on my behalf. (Though I never did get their home back...) Brittany suffered a similar fate. If you can do the same for any minors, that's great!
  • It's much, much cheaper in warscore to take provinces from colonial nations than directly held distant overseas provinces; it's to your advantage to encourage colonial nations to form. For that reason and for their extra colonists, of course. The exception here is any minors which you're hopeful about vassalizing.
  • Plutocratic Ideas unlock two decent colonization policies, out of the four that exist; it might be worthwhile to be a republic for that alone. I played an Ambrosian Republic - the +morale was also nice.

...and in retrospect, it might have been wiser to choose a color that wasn't very nearly identical to one of the major colonizers'.

*5 ducats/month + occasional lump sums of ~500 ducats seemed to be enough to keep them colonizing busily.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is that Naples taking over all of North Africa?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Is that Naples taking over all of North Africa?

Yes. Shortly after the Imperialism CB was unlocked, they took North Africa in two wars. It was... surprising.

Other highlights include a Protestant HRE dominated by Bohemia and... iirc the brown mess is Brunswick? Bavaria was also a major German power, but the Ottomans have essentially destroyed them, along with chunks of Bohemia, Russia...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When does Civil War progress reset? I meet all the conditions for it not to occur according to the wiki, but its stuck at 93%. I basically have not been able to do anything for 50 years because of a lovely weak claim monarch that refused to die and its almost guaranteed that Jihad is going to fail. I can't get into any wars because overextension over 10% gives it a +1 monthly progress.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Node posted:

When does Civil War progress reset? I meet all the conditions for it not to occur according to the wiki, but its stuck at 93%. I basically have not been able to do anything for 50 years because of a lovely weak claim monarch that refused to die and its almost guaranteed that Jihad is going to fail. I can't get into any wars because overextension over 10% gives it a +1 monthly progress.

Mouse over it on the stability screen; that'll tell you, iirc.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PleasingFungus posted:

Mouse over it on the stability screen; that'll tell you, iirc.

I am. I meet all the requirements for it to not progress.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Node posted:

I am. I meet all the requirements for it to not progress.

That particular disaster requires you hit a benchmark of Legitimacy to reset progress(maybe 75 or 90?). It's weird because there are multiple tooltips, one over the icon of the disaster, and another over the progress bars, but one of those two will tell you as long as you mouse over it and wait a few seconds for the complete tooltip to load

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I've never seen it actually reset just stop progressing. It's a very tame one though so I'd just let it fire and move on, especially if you're just sitting there twiddling your thumbs for a long time in fear of it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I have a pretty successful Novgorod game going, attempting Frozen Assets which should be no problem.

A couple observations about Merchant Republics:

-drat do I miss the clergy estate in particular. -2 RR and +2% Missionary strength which might as well be nationwide since you can have it where you actually need it.

-It's not immediately obvious, but be careful of how much you're boosting Goods Produced in enemy nations. Remember that Merchant Republics give +% Goods Produced equal to their trade power share in a node, so even though you're pulling in some nice cash by trading in your enemy's nodes, you're giving them ENORMOUS amounts of additional production income.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It reset itself. My monarch that replaced the crappy one is 100 legitimacy. It took some time for the game to register it, I guess. I'm kinda mad. It took over 40 years for the previous no-legitimacy monarch to die. It was a woman, so I couldn't assign her as a general and suicide her. I guess I should have let that disaster fire like suggested. I'm pretty sure this Jihad run is going to end in failure, even though I'm westernized. It's 1691 and I have 131 provinces. :shrek:

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
Tip beggar here, does anyone have any good strategies for Mongolia going for The Great Khan? I tend to try to get support for independence from Uzbek, but even after I get free Ming tends to just warn/eat me. I dream of a day of seeing all these exploded Mings I see in this thread happen for me during a game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

cool and good posted:

I've never seen it actually reset just stop progressing. It's a very tame one though so I'd just let it fire and move on, especially if you're just sitting there twiddling your thumbs for a long time in fear of it.

Yeah it only happens once per game so just loving do it, waiting for it to get fixed can be awful.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Dry Hump posted:

Tip beggar here, does anyone have any good strategies for Mongolia going for The Great Khan? I tend to try to get support for independence from Uzbek, but even after I get free Ming tends to just warn/eat me. I dream of a day of seeing all these exploded Mings I see in this thread happen for me during a game.

An early success of a Manchu tribe pretty much guarantees Ming exploding. Forming Manchu gives you cores on all of Ming's provinces to the northeast of Beijing, and I think if Manchu takes those, or maybe it's those + Beijing, it gives Ming a horrible modifier for revolt risk and everything just falls apart for them. That's the guaranteed Ming explosion. Aside from that, you'll just have to rely on them having bad luck with standard events / monarch deaths leading them into a similar spiral.

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013

Kersch posted:

An early success of a Manchu tribe pretty much guarantees Ming exploding. Forming Manchu gives you cores on all of Ming's provinces to the northeast of Beijing, and I think if Manchu takes those, or maybe it's those + Beijing, it gives Ming a horrible modifier for revolt risk and everything just falls apart for them. That's the guaranteed Ming explosion. Aside from that, you'll just have to rely on them having bad luck with standard events / monarch deaths leading them into a similar spiral.

So Basically do my best to make sure the Manchus can punch Ming without hoping they turn and punch me instead. Worth a shot!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Node posted:

It reset itself. My monarch that replaced the crappy one is 100 legitimacy. It took some time for the game to register it, I guess. I'm kinda mad. It took over 40 years for the previous no-legitimacy monarch to die. It was a woman, so I couldn't assign her as a general and suicide her. I guess I should have let that disaster fire like suggested. I'm pretty sure this Jihad run is going to end in failure, even though I'm westernized. It's 1691 and I have 131 provinces. :shrek:

Civil War is one I usually let fire. The events aren't bad and you get 3 stability when it's over. And the pretender could be a badass.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Civil war is great. You get full legitimacy and 3 stability.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

Civil war is great. You get full legitimacy and 3 stability.

God dammit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dry Hump posted:

So Basically do my best to make sure the Manchus can punch Ming without hoping they turn and punch me instead. Worth a shot!

Pretty much. Get independence with the help of the Uzbeks, and get to blobbing, probably in a mostly westward direction. Beating Ming is possible, the goal is just to always stay ahead in mil-tech. You can use the bonus for fighting on your own territory and cavalry heavy armies, and you can win battles. The tough part is taking any forts to actually gain territory; when I was given the choice, I took the white peace. Ming imploded shortly afterwards, which allowed me to start eating into China.

If/When you get to that point, be very mindful of coalitions. If all the Chinese minors join in against you, you'll in for an even worse time than you were fighting Ming.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Remember that War Exhaustion is reduced by the warscore cost of the peace deal. So the rudest thing you can do to Ming is to run them up to 20 WE and white peace.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was unaware of that mechanic. That's amazing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

I was unaware of that mechanic. That's amazing.

I'm sure you've probably noticed (and maybe been frustrated by) the AI seemingly dumping a ton of WE right after you end a war.

It's not so much they're spending diplomatic points to reduce WE, their existing WE is reduced by the warscore cost you enforce on them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Remember that War Exhaustion is reduced by the warscore cost of the peace deal. So the rudest thing you can do to Ming is to run them up to 20 WE and white peace.

:eyepop:

That makes so much sense. I'd noticed them dumping the war exhaustion, but couldn't figure out why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You can avoid it slightly by keeping wars open until they have rebellions, peace out before they manage to siege anything. If you're lucky they even bug out and spawn with your tech, which can be hilarious.

• Locked thread