Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Daily Forecast posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm just still firmly in the camp of people who'd rather do gaming on literally anything but a phone, but for calling, texting, browsing, taking pictures and video, normal phone stuff, it's been nothing but exceptional.

Same, my 5X has been pretty great for that stuff and I use other things for games. Snapchat does suck but it does on other phones too. Only once this month has it turned into a laggy unresponsive POS for no discernible reason; it was fine after a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Yeah, count me as another 5x owner that has no real issues with it. It's never even got warm on me, battery is fine (about the same as my 2nd gen Moto X), no lag other than on Snapchat, and one of the last 2 updates to Snapchat seems to have fixed that.

Once in a blue moon the camera will be slow to launch but I could honestly count those times on one hand in the 2 months I've owned it. Now, I don't do any mobile gaming at all so I don't know if throwing a crazy game at it would choke it up, but if you want a powerful phone that can handle top-end mobile games then you probably should look at the 6p.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think the biggest (in the sense that it can't possibly be traced to software installed on the device) problem anyone's brought up with either of the most recent Nexuses is how the aluminium frame got bent/twisted by their thigh in their pocket.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Also that the 6p's side buttons are in kind of a dumb place and should be higher up. Though I guess that's subjective. On the other hand, since the power button seems to be the weak point for the bending issue, if it was higher up maybe it would bend less.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ah goddamn, Truecaller still lets it ring for a second before sending the call to hell.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I decided to get a Droid Turbo 2. Everything I say is gonna be in comparison to my old 2013 Moto X.

I was really afraid that the size of the phone would be too big to handle one handed but surprisingly I can reach just about everywhere with my thumb (except to far corners). I got the rubbery grip back, but it isn't as grippy as the back of my old phone. Ballistic nylon didn't seem all that grippy either.

I don't understand the complaints from reviewers about the screen being sub-par. It looks fine to me. I guess you could say that the 'depth' is a little bit more but it's not that big of a deal and not much of a change from my old phone. The colors seem right, and the text is clear. One thing that is strange to me is that the screen feels a lot slicker than my old phone.

In terms of time to focus and take picture, this thing is fast as hell. Flash wash-out so far hasn't been noticeable.

I'm still trying to get used to the phone, though. I'm having trouble figuring out which 'quiet hours' implementation is more effective- Android's or Motorola's. I used Motorola's on my old phone but now I'm trying out Android's in hopes that Hangouts from un-starred contacts still don't bother me in the middle of the night.

I'm getting double notifications from both Android's and Motorola's calendar as well, and I'm trying to sort that out.

The grid and icon size on the old phone seemed perfect. On this phone the widgets and icons are so huge I feel like I'm using one of those old people phones with huge numbers. Some of the widgets I use don't respond well to being resized, either. I tried Nova Launcher but I can't see the notification bar icons if its set to transparent (Either completely transparent or black are the choices).

So far there have been no issues with bluetooth after pairing with my car, cheap headphones, and a bluetooth speaker.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So my Nexus 5X got way better battery life the past few days the gently caress outta nowhere and I'm not sure why. Right now I'm sitting at 95% with 38 minutes of screen on time. A week ago the phone would already be down to at least like 85% or so. Is li-ion batteries 'breaking in' a thing?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If you haven't had the phone for very long then I think you're messing with the phone a lot less to get it to look/work/behave the way you want it to.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Maybe your local reception got a load better after some network upgrade or something

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I accidentally posted this in another thread yesterday:

This recently starting appearing in Google Music on my Note 5, the "watch video" thing.

Someone linked me this, http://googlesystem.blogspot.ca/2014/11/youtube-videos-in-google-play-music.html, but Music Key/Youtube Red isn't even available in Canada. I just want to turn this annoying poo poo off.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Do you spend a lot of time looking at the screen when you are using Google music? It started on mine too and I barely noticed

Can't you just not click it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Do you spend a lot of time looking at the screen when you are using Google music?

No, it's just annoying, and very noticeable to me. It's something I'd prefer to disable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, it's just annoying, and very noticeable to me. It's something I'd prefer to disable.
Press the home button.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You guys are mega helpful, tyvm

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Oh clam down

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cremnob posted:

cremnobbin'

I... uh... huh.

Still a better poster than RZA Encryption.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This recently starting appearing in Google Music on my Note 5, the "watch video" thing.

Someone linked me this, http://googlesystem.blogspot.ca/2014/11/youtube-videos-in-google-play-music.html, but Music Key/Youtube Red isn't even available in Canada. I just want to turn this annoying poo poo off.

Does it cost money or push ads to play the video?

I don't even know where you could even bring up suggestions to Google, but yeah it does seem like an 'album art/youtube' toggle would be useful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Does it cost money or push ads to play the video?

I don't even know where you could even bring up suggestions to Google, but yeah it does seem like an 'album art/youtube' toggle would be useful.

Of course not, it's just an unwanted and unknown feature added without my awareness, as a part of a feature apparently (YouTube red/music key) that isn't even in my country. I was simply asking if anyone knew about it or if it was removable, clearly not and clearly no one else dislikes it like I do!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I solve this issue by not using Google Music, but eh. To be fair it does sound loving annoying and I'd wanna turn it off, too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its just a link that shows in the space where album art would be, nothing more

Its not particularly intrusive, and really why would you be looking at that screen much when listening to music on your phone?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like this. Those assholes castrated Play Music outside US/CA by introducing this SongZa stuff but not making it available internationally, yet removing old exploration and filtering functionality. Same with Youtube Red, pretty limited availability internationally, but they pester you with in in their player even tho you can't use it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm in the UK without YouTube red and the videos play just fine from within Google music

It just seems like a really weird thing to get annoyed about

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

Welcome to the Android Thread!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Pretty normal for this thread, some people get annoyed about other things I can't fathom either. People have different tastes and preferences, more at 11.

e:fb

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Its just a link that shows in the space where album art would be, nothing more

Its not particularly intrusive, and really why would you be looking at that screen much when listening to music on your phone?

Agreed. For some time, iirc, tracks with videos like that had a different ordering when you hit the overflow three dots on it. Like, "play video" was at the top of the list, while tracks without video had "add to playlist" or "add to queue" of something on top. I think they fixed that quickly though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have and use YouTube Red and I completely hate that button too. Just put it in the elipses menu. I like actually being able to see the album art.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had this poo poo push to me about 5 times today, it's super annoying. No I don't want to know about this youtube star.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

If you haven't had the phone for very long then I think you're messing with the phone a lot less to get it to look/work/behave the way you want it to.

Skarsnik posted:

Maybe your local reception got a load better after some network upgrade or something

I dunno, I don't think my usage has changed over the past few days, but where it used to be that I'd be down to like 45% after 2h of SoT, I'm currently sitting at 2h 9m at 64%. It's a pretty marked increase and I'm not gonna complain about it. I guess the second one seems more likely.

I just hope it keeps up!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm just going to chime also and report that my 5x has been great. Only had it for a few days though and don't game on my phone so YMMV

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
After a week, I have fallen in love with my new big phone(went from Nexus4 -> Nexus6). Can cramp my hand a bit when using it one handed, but its so fast and big! :awesome:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have a new and fun problem going on with my Droid Turbo: it will suddenly not accept touch input in the top left corner of the screen. Now, before someone says defective screen, this happens when I rotate the phone to landscape in the top left as well (which is obviously a different part of the screen). It's almost like something is overlaid on that spot. I downloaded a touch screen test app, and the same thing happens in that, but if I drag my finger from the middle up to that corner, the touch will go up there no problem.

A reboot of the phone will stop it from happening for awhile, but it will creep back in at some point. What the gently caress?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just got my wife a new phone. It's a Sony Xperia Z (it doesn't have any numbers). It's brand new in box and I paid $100AUD for it. It's to replace her dying Nexus 4. Couple of questions?

What's the reputation of this phone? Good phone for its time or not?

Is it an upgrade to her Nexus 4 specs wise?

How waterproof is the waterproofness they are touting?

What do I Google when looking for accessories or tech support for this phone? Is this a "Z1" or is the Z1 different to the "Z"? Related to that, any recommended phone cases for it? Do any of the other Z models have the same chassis and therefore have compatible cases?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

xcore posted:

What do I Google when looking for accessories or tech support for this phone? Is this a "Z1" or is the Z1 different to the "Z"? Related to that, any recommended phone cases for it? Do any of the other Z models have the same chassis and therefore have compatible cases?
Go into settings/about phone and see what's listed under Model Number

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nill posted:

Go into settings/about phone and see what's listed under Model Number

C6603

That sounds all a bit techy and not the marketing term so I wasn't sure if there was something else

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xcore posted:

C6603

That sounds all a bit techy and not the marketing term so I wasn't sure if there was something else

Same Cpu as the Nexus 4 so likely performance is pretty close. The camera on the Sony is likely better. You also get a higher pixel count on the Z. Battery life is probably close too.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

ninmeister posted:

I have a new and fun problem going on with my Droid Turbo: it will suddenly not accept touch input in the top left corner of the screen. Now, before someone says defective screen, this happens when I rotate the phone to landscape in the top left as well (which is obviously a different part of the screen). It's almost like something is overlaid on that spot. I downloaded a touch screen test app, and the same thing happens in that, but if I drag my finger from the middle up to that corner, the touch will go up there no problem.

A reboot of the phone will stop it from happening for awhile, but it will creep back in at some point. What the gently caress?

This actually happened to me yesterday. Weird.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xcore posted:

C6603

The main issue you're likely to have is the phone has been sitting in a box somewhere for the best part of three years so the battery will have suffered (compared to an actual new phone).

The disadvantages of those were the really crummy screen (much worse than the one on the N4) and not so great camera (still better than the N4) but for the price she can probably live with that.

As for cases each Z model looks similar but the changed dimensions a bit every refresh so none of the cases are compatible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Android will no longer use Oracle's Java APIs in the N-release. Instead, it'll use OpenJDK.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/29/google-will-replace-oracles-java-apis-with-openjdk-in-the-next-version-of-android/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

For those curious all this means is android N will get java 8 support and Google don't have to worry about more law suits from Oracle (just the currently ongoing ones)

In terms of quality Oracle jdk and openjdk have been almost identical for some time now, you won't see any kind of drop in quality or loss of features from this change.

Edit

Apparently no java 8 support just yet. Bye lambda expressions :(

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

I just got my wife a new phone. It's a Sony Xperia Z (it doesn't have any numbers). It's brand new in box and I paid $100AUD for it. It's to replace her dying Nexus 4. Couple of questions?

What's the reputation of this phone? Good phone for its time or not?

Is it an upgrade to her Nexus 4 specs wise?

How waterproof is the waterproofness they are touting?

The Xperia Z had a kinda poo poo display and battery life if i remember correctly. Its not terrible but the Z1 was were they got it right.

Specs wise its pretty much the same as the Nexus 4. Just with a bigger Display and a higher resolution.

Its water proof that in a way that yes you can actually drop it in the toilet or dunk it in a glass of water and it wont care as long as the ports are closed. Supposedly you can even ust it for underwater photography.
Be aware that if it ever had its display or backside replaced (not uncommon as both sides are made of glass) the water proofing is most likely compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

For those curious all this means is android N will get java 8 support and Google don't have to worry about more law suits from Oracle (just the currently ongoing ones)

In terms of quality Oracle jdk and openjdk have been almost identical for some time now, you won't see any kind of drop in quality or loss of features from this change.

Edit

Apparently no java 8 support just yet. Bye lambda expressions :(

Use kotlin, it owns.