Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Is it generally worth bailing as soon as I finish a quest or should I try to clear every dungeon I enter?

Sometimes. If you're in decent shape and have room for more loot (or have lovely loot you can improve on) and can collect more stuff without doing too much backtracking, I'd go for it. It helps if you've scouted out the rest of the dungeon and can see what's available. If you have to trek through half a dozen hallways to get to 2 curios it's probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Is it generally worth bailing as soon as I finish a quest or should I try to clear every dungeon I enter?

It really depends, there is no one answer. Continuing to clear could get you more money or more of the curios you need, but you could lose somebody. So you have to assess your party; did they just barely finish the quest by the skin of their teeth or are they all at full health and zero stress?

Ciaphas posted:

Also, if I don't click the quirk thingies after my jerks come back alive, do they not receive any new quirks?

Nope. I mean they can get quirks during combat and stuff, but if you don't click the little thingy at the end you won't get bonus quirks, good or bad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope. I mean they can get quirks during combat and stuff, but if you don't click the little thingy at the end you won't get bonus quirks, good or bad.

what

so many pointless bad quirks added to my guys...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If these fuckers are supposed to be mostly disposable I'm gonna take the same stance as in DCSS: always eat the purpleget the quirks :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, no, the mask thing has always been purely cosmetic--you get the quirks whether or not you open it. A while back they even changed it so that trying to skip that screen just automatically opens the masks to reveal everyone's new quirks. (Sometimes I still manage to skip that screen anyhow, but the new quirks still appear. This is very easy to observe if your quirk list is full since new quirks will display an icon to indicate they replaced something.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Uh, no, the mask thing has always been purely cosmetic--you get the quirks whether or not you open it. A while back they even changed it so that trying to skip that screen just automatically opens the masks to reveal everyone's new quirks. (Sometimes I still manage to skip that screen anyhow, but the new quirks still appear. This is very easy to observe if your quirk list is full since new quirks will display an icon to indicate they replaced something.)

Whoops, so much for that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

If these fuckers are supposed to be mostly disposable I'm gonna take the same stance as in DCSS: always eat the purpleget the quirks :v:

burn the books; play affliction/virtue roulette; hail xom

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Bloodthirst Rings are amazing. -100% consumed food and +10% max hp, all for -4 dodge, stick em on a class with low dodge anyways, say Vestals and Crusaders, then laugh your way to the bank as you now have a party that consumes next to no food, basically camps for free, and can significantly relight the torch in most battles with the Vestals and Crusaders +Torch abilities.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
thats not very polite :(

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Koboje posted:

Bloodthirst Rings are amazing. -100% consumed food and +10% max hp, all for -4 dodge, stick em on a class with low dodge anyways, say Vestals and Crusaders, then laugh your way to the bank as you now have a party that consumes next to no food, basically camps for free, and can significantly relight the torch in most battles with the Vestals and Crusaders +Torch abilities.

Who uses most of their food camping and snacking?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The thing about the Darkest Dungeon is, whatever was in there scared the Ancestor into suicide. The Ancestor, just as a reminder, is the guy who invited scholars of eternal life into his house only to murder them in cold blood, performed dread rites to bind demons to pig flesh and then threw the discharge into an empty room somewhere to germinate into the Inchoate Flesh and its counterparts.

I am expecting great things from this ones, is what I am saying.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing about the Darkest Dungeon is, whatever was in there scared the Ancestor into suicide. The Ancestor, just as a reminder, is the guy who invited scholars of eternal life into his house only to murder them in cold blood, performed dread rites to bind demons to pig flesh and then threw the discharge into an empty room somewhere to germinate into the Inchoate Flesh and its counterparts.

I am expecting great things from this ones, is what I am saying.

Is the Darkest Dungeon inside that gate or is the gate inside the Darkest Dungeon?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Probably the former, the intro cinematic describes it as a gate to evil predating the biblical flood

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I remember someone saying once that you should camp at the start of an adventure to get theong term buffs, is that generally the right strategy? Also how do you judge how much food or how many torches and other consumables to bring? So far I've just been bringing like 12 each torches and food and then 2 of each consumable. Also do you get more story as you meat the bosses and stuff? There's no protagonist as such and people say not to get too attached to adventurers so I'm wondering where the game is. I like levelling people up but I'm hoping for a little more than that. It doesn't help that the objectives are just a list of bosses and then "get each class to 6."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Gabriel Pope posted:

I was gonna say, it sort of sounds exploitable in a way that runs contrary to this game's mission statement is post-death penalties/rewards were so easily skipped.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Apocron posted:

I remember someone saying once that you should camp at the start of an adventure to get theong term buffs, is that generally the right strategy? Also how do you judge how much food or how many torches and other consumables to bring? So far I've just been bringing like 12 each torches and food and then 2 of each consumable. Also do you get more story as you meat the bosses and stuff? There's no protagonist as such and people say not to get too attached to adventurers so I'm wondering where the game is. I like levelling people up but I'm hoping for a little more than that. It doesn't help that the objectives are just a list of bosses and then "get each class to 6."

you should probably not post when falling-down tired or blackout drunk but to answer the questions i think you are asking:

Camping early is a viable strategy, but the meta has shifted away from that a little bit with some 'until camp' debuffs that have started showing up. It's still fine, especially if you are rolling with a team that really benefits from them (Bounty Hunters and Lepers still enjoy their camp buffs a lot, as do Highwaymen). However, it's not 'the right strategy', there are a lot of other styles that work.

You get more scraps of what all your Ancestor did as you run into more bosses, yes. But it's all just scraps, a paragraph of spoken text or so when you load up the mission to kill a specific boss. I am going to guess that we are going to get more of a background to what's going on when we get the penultimate dungeon, because right now we don't have a terribly clear picture.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can kinda see where a couple of those bad reviews are coming from, but its nothing that i'd shelve the game over. At the same time its not like they've played 70 hours and gone "gently caress it, this is awful, i hated it the entire time". Its probably more like:

Read's patch notes - doesn't like them
Plays game, has a bad run
Writes terrible review

I still remember early in this thread people mentioned that the devs were actively purging out strategys and people agreed back then, I think most of us are just used to it now. This is the darkest dungeon! Although i've still not forgiven the game for triple critting dismas on the first turn of a dungeon, killing him. I liked him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

Probably the former, the intro cinematic describes it as a gate to evil predating the biblical flood

Yeah the gate seems to open up into some striaght lovecraft horror-city ala R'lyeh.

It'll be interesting to see if the Darkest Dungeon is what leads up to that gate with the gate being the boss fight against some cthulhu monster, or if the darkest dungeon starts at the gate and its about actually crawling through R'lyeh as a dungeon.

I hope its the latter.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the gate seems to open up into some striaght lovecraft horror-city ala R'lyeh.

It'll be interesting to see if the Darkest Dungeon is what leads up to that gate with the gate being the boss fight against some cthulhu monster, or if the darkest dungeon starts at the gate and its about actually crawling through R'lyeh as a dungeon.

I hope its the latter.
in
There is no way in hell that they don't make you crawl through a nest of mind-numbingly abominations that do like 30 stress damage simply by shuffling into view for the privilege of actually seeing the final boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

in
There is no way in hell that they don't make you crawl through a nest of mind-numbingly abominations that do like 30 stress damage simply by shuffling into view for the privilege of actually seeing the final boss.

They could still have the mansion leading up to that portal be full of mind-numbling abominations that have spilled out from it.

Its really just a question of decor when it comes to DD's game style, what will the backgrounds look like? :cheeky:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

I hope its the latter.

I'm expecting the former, because as your heroes shut the door beyond the smoldering corpse of a dying god, on the city that it emerged from, they get a glimpse of the realm beyond and decide that they are never coming back.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Finally got an abomination after 4 runs with a fully upgraded stagecoach in town. Still no houndmaster! I removed the level reqs from the dungeons in this town because I'm sick of sending my good squads into over-tuned high level dungeons/meat grinders just to recruit some new classes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

AngryBooch posted:

I removed the level reqs from the dungeons in this town because I'm sick of sending my good squads into over-tuned high level dungeons/meat grinders just to recruit some new classes.
You're one of the angsty steam reviewers, aren't you

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

You're one of the angsty steam reviewers, aren't you

Nah, I haven't reviewed the game because it's not technically out yet and I understand that the balance changes are ongoing. The arbitrary limits on who can go into which level dungeon always annoyed me though. I've got like 5 high level vestals because I send them out more often than other classes and they graduate out of the starter dungeons. I wish I could sort of sell them somehow? Like recoup the training and equipment costs when I dismiss a level 5 Vestal because I already have a level 6 one and now need to recruit a new level 0 one. Until that happens I just removed the level reqs so I can send some Vestals on missions.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
High level adventurers being pissy about low level runs is kind of jarring. In this dark, morose tale where some of the guys complain and beg not to be sent there again, having them refuse to do easy and safer work feels weird.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Also do you get more story as you meat the bosses and stuff? There's no protagonist as such and people say not to get too attached to adventurers so I'm wondering where the game is. I like levelling people up but I'm hoping for a little more than that. It doesn't help that the objectives are just a list of bosses and then "get each class to 6."

You get more info on the story of each boss as you clear the higher versions of that boss. They're all as interesting and grim as you'd hope-that is, 'very'.

I understand it's possible to get quotes from characters that tell bits and pieces of their stories, but they're very rare-they're meant to show up under stress or something. Most learned of them via data-diving, I believe.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 29, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Iceclaw posted:

High level adventurers being pissy about low level runs is kind of jarring. In this dark, morose tale where some of the guys complain and beg not to be sent there again, having them refuse to do easy and safer work feels weird.

You know, I never thought about this. Maybe its the whole "overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer" thing.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Iceclaw posted:

All of the characters are broken people there for broken reasons. If they had ever even considered doing easy jobs they would never have even showed up in town.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

To be fair, if you're going out into those dungeons you're risking your life either way. At least risking your life for treasures and glory sorta makes sense, on a good day where you're feeling up to it. Going into a dungeon you've already been in to get some treasures which are piddling compared to what you already have doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

If you consider the adventurers as actual flawed people and not just pawns in your hands it makes even more sense. They are driven by greed and insanity 100%. Which makes you using them as disposable not quit as bad. Still definitely grim though.

I mean yeah it doesn't make the most sense ever but its kinda necessary.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

Nah, I haven't reviewed the game because it's not technically out yet and I understand that the balance changes are ongoing. The arbitrary limits on who can go into which level dungeon always annoyed me though. I've got like 5 high level vestals because I send them out more often than other classes and they graduate out of the starter dungeons. I wish I could sort of sell them somehow? Like recoup the training and equipment costs when I dismiss a level 5 Vestal because I already have a level 6 one and now need to recruit a new level 0 one. Until that happens I just removed the level reqs so I can send some Vestals on missions.

This situation seems like a symptom of Early Access that's not likely to come up for players who start with the complete game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the only thing that really needs tweaking is the starvation/hunger mechanic. Once happened after 2 tough encounters in the first 3 rooms, so I ate like 5 things of food. Directly after that I get the goddamn Starvation prompt which wastes half my remaining stock. Possibly even worse was late into a particular run, I healed my ailing team with as much food as they could literally eat. Again, almost ten steps after that, I get the loving Starvation window which fucks me over because I didn't have enough food. It doesn't happen THAT often but sometimes the logic of how and when it occurs is extremely retarded.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Koboje posted:

Has anyone been crazy enough to go in a Champion difficulty dungeon with 0 Torch light throughout? And does the loot gain from going in with 0 light provide a noticable improvement in amount of or quality of loot?

Nobody ever answered you, so I'll go ahead and say no, in my experience dropping the torch to 0 is a pointless waste, even in red dungeons. Your bags will always fill up.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
based on what i know about games threads, if the devs had allowed you to take overleveled characters into missions, this thread would be full of people complaining about how they "have to" grind low level missions with their level 6 guys

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Coolguye posted:

you should probably not post when falling-down tired or blackout drunk but to answer the questions i think you are asking:

Camping early is a viable strategy, but the meta has shifted away from that a little bit with some 'until camp' debuffs that have started showing up. It's still fine, especially if you are rolling with a team that really benefits from them (Bounty Hunters and Lepers still enjoy their camp buffs a lot, as do Highwaymen). However, it's not 'the right strategy', there are a lot of other styles that work.

You get more scraps of what all your Ancestor did as you run into more bosses, yes. But it's all just scraps, a paragraph of spoken text or so when you load up the mission to kill a specific boss. I am going to guess that we are going to get more of a background to what's going on when we get the penultimate dungeon, because right now we don't have a terribly clear picture.

I'd argue that the only real shift that change made is that you should consider bringing some medical herbs to remove any nasty until camp debuffs. The buffs you can get from camping are still as strong as ever, and ambush encounters during camps are a bit more risky, so it is better to be in the best shape you can for them.

There are some group setups that don't have strong camp buffs, and with those you should hold onto your camp longer usually, though sometimes you can go in with people who need a break and just rest right away to save on stress relief activities.

0 torch runs give you more loot, and filling your bags means that you can be pickier about what you're bringing out which can maximize your haul. There are some nice low light trinkets as well, and it is easier to keep those always on than the high light ones. Once you're running level 5 dungeons that is a pretty big risk for something that isn't a huge gain (quest rewards are much higher), but with lower level parties it can be pretty lucrative. Depending on how they implement hard mode and the fail condition they talked about, it could be needed to do dark runs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bleu posted:

Nobody ever answered you, so I'll go ahead and say no, in my experience dropping the torch to 0 is a pointless waste, even in red dungeons. Your bags will always fill up.

With what though, is the question. Dark missions tend to yield more and better trinkets, which are now directly worth gold if they're bad, and are priceless if they're good and make your character fill a niche better or guard them against something particularly nasty (such as debuff protection for the siren). I've had trinkets drop from room battles in darkness.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think the only thing that really needs tweaking is the starvation/hunger mechanic. Once happened after 2 tough encounters in the first 3 rooms, so I ate like 5 things of food. Directly after that I get the goddamn Starvation prompt which wastes half my remaining stock. Possibly even worse was late into a particular run, I healed my ailing team with as much food as they could literally eat. Again, almost ten steps after that, I get the loving Starvation window which fucks me over because I didn't have enough food. It doesn't happen THAT often but sometimes the logic of how and when it occurs is extremely retarded.

Yes, i hate that too. Eating food should either delay the starvation event or they should remove non-starvation/camping healing from food all together and switch it over to herbs and bandages.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bleu posted:

I think dark runs are a decent proposition for low level missions. The loot is worse, the enemies are weaker, treatments are cheaper, and characters are more disposable. So taking on tougher enemies and more risks in return for better loot isn't a bad idea. Especially since you get a lot more trinkets in the dark, which helps outfit your low level characters faster.

In max level dungeons, yeah, you can easily walk out with 6-8 full stacks of gold and multiple stacks of the highest value gems in a full light run so there's not much point to running dark.

ZypherIM posted:

I'd argue that the only real shift that change made is that you should consider bringing some medical herbs to remove any nasty until camp debuffs.

The madman is literally the only until camp debuff, and it's way smaller than the benefits you get from camping. Would much rather have camp buffs up for the entire dungeon and live with a couple of +10% stress damage penalties than do half the dungeon with no buffs/debuffs.

For that matter, Pep Talk is a camp buff available to everyone that costs a mere 2 out of 12 camp ticks and gives -25% stress resist until camp. You can Pep Talk everyone and get bonuses ten times the penalty of the madman debuff for the whole dungeon, and still have enough camp time left over for a battle buff or two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

-25% stress resist? Like, negative stress resistance? Is that really what it says in game?

I mean I understand what you mean from context, but jeeze that's really unclear. Are other modifiers like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The tooltip is actually +25% stress resist, Pope is understanding that as -25% stress received, which is correct but signs are weird etc.