Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for Crimson Skies on the original Xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just bought AC:Syndicate in the sale. Anything I need to know beyond "stab dudes"?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

paco650 posted:

There's an entry on the wiki with a lot of good tips. As far as I remember it's a quintessential BioWare RPG, so there won't be too many gotcha moments if you've played literally any other game in that family.

The only Jade Empire mod worth mentioning is Jade Empire in Style, which adds a bunch of techniques but also messes with some of the vanilla ones.

Gynovore posted:

Be 100% "good" or "evil". (they call it something different but like every Bioware game it boils down to being a goody two-shoes or kicking babies)
Talk to your companions. In particular, talk to the wacky inventor and don't finish the Imperial city until you've gone to the secret place.
Weapons are decent but skippable. You can get an awesome weapon by beating John Cleese.
Transformation styles are blah except for Jade Golem, which is hilariously overpowered. Support styles suck.

Thanks. so basically like every Bioware game ever. I'll make sure to avoid the support styles; that's probably a trap I would have fallen into.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
For AC:Syndicate. Keep in mind I haven't played it much yet

- Usual advice of synchronizing with viewpoints ASAP.
- Ignore side missions until you get the zipline, it's pretty useful, you can get it early, and makes moving around much more enjoyable. You need it to grab some collectibles as well..
- Enemies have levels. Try to keep your skills and equipment more or less up to date and do the lower level neighbours first, otherwise the enemies become massive slabs of HP.
- You can make good money quickly by hijacking carts that spawn near your delivery point. It'll take a bit to unlock, though. I think you have to do a mission for the lady dressed as a gentleman to unlock the activity first.
- Stealth skills make a difference, same with skills that cause more damage to enemies. Tool skills are less useful unless you're going for style points.
- The skill that prevents enemies from aggroing and the one that lets you loot people you assassinate automatically are huge QoL improvements.
- Getting X number of kills in a particular way will give you a permanent perk. You can check what the requirements are somewhere in your progress menu.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 28, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks. so basically like every Bioware game ever. I'll make sure to avoid the support styles; that's probably a trap I would have fallen into.
Eh, there's at least one support style that's retardedly broken; I'd say go for whatever appeals, it's not like it's a difficult game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Reassembly
- Every faction has some unique parts, so it can pay to look them up and restart with one you like once you unlock it.
- Enemy spawn strength (especially for agents) is AFAIK tied to how much you've spent on unlocks, so don't neglect upgrading your maximum point value.
- Upscaled parts are dramatically more effective than stacked bunches of smaller parts. (IE, a 3x3 hull block has approx 2.5x the HP of an equally sized bunch if small blocks)
- The basic homing missile launcher has effectively infinite range as long as you can hold a lock, and will be useful the whole game, just in greater numbers.
- Seriously, missile spam is kinda OP at any point value, since point defense chews through energy in any decent quantity.
- Let the AI gently caress with conquering regions, it's really loving tedious to do yourself even with a max value ship.
- Just put a factory on your flagship once you have a decent size and poop out a station (a ship with a factory but no engines) every so often.
- The yellow faction's gimmick will lag the gently caress out of all but the most monstrous computers, so try to avoid entering their space or else just turn your settings to minimum inside it.
- Agent fleets are assholes, build or bribe some beefy ally ships into your fleet before you take them on.
- The more expensive the ship, the harder it becomes to make an agile/shield ship effective, and conversely, the more effective giant masses of hull, engines, and guns/lasers/missiles become.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for Crimson Skies on the original Xbox?

I haven't played the XBox version, but if memory serves the PC version was basically the same.

- The planes you unlock aren't inherently "better" than the one you have. Some of them fill other roles, some of them are just complete trash, and some are side grades. If you find a plane you like, feel free to stick with it. It's not Ace Combat style plane unlocks.
- When in doubt, bring bigger guns. Never bring anything smaller than a .50 cal, it's a waste of space. There is supposed to be a range vs power tradeoff, and at the high end (like the .70 cals) that's something you might have to consider. However, anything smaller than a .50 cal does poo poo damage and the range increase doesn't offset that. So consider .50 cals your "general" gun, and move up from there if you think you can.
- For Ammo, if you don't want to deal with swapping ammo types, just take Explosive rounds (Ex). They do 1.5x damage to both armor and structure. This makes it strictly superior to Slug rounds, and only a .5 multiplier behind either Dum Dums (.5 Armor, 2x internal) and are equal to the bonus of Armor Piercing (1.5x against armor, .5 against structure). If you don't mind having multiple sets of guns, you can bring one set with AP or Explosive and another set with Dum Dums once you strip the armor. It'll be slightly faster killing in exchange for a little more micromanagement of your resources.

Beyond that, just remember that you're basically in an old school Pirate movie, but in planes. If something seems like it'd be a movie stunt, you probably get a secret achievement or bonus for doing it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The X-Box version is literally nothing at all like the PC version. Completely differently story and maps and entirely different systems. It's been a long time since I played, but there's really nothing that stands out as tricky or needing to know. You'll have all the planes and weapons no problem.

You can probably ignore most of Zaodai's info as it doesn't apply to this.

The game plays like an open world sandbox games, just with planes. The game is very open ended in terms of how you play. You do lose out on the intense plane and weapon customization from the PC version though.

Only real tips would be do all the sidequests and optional missions. You loose access to them after the plot progresses and they are how you unlock extra ships and guns.

There's some real precision flying near the end so maybe practice that.

The gyrocopter is hilarious and fun, but not combat worthy most times.

Otherwise, just enjoy the game. It's one of the better original XBox titles. The writing and acting are both lots of fun and it controls great.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 28, 2015

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I got Disgaea 5 for Christmas! Anything to know for a newcomer to the series?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't there two Crimson Skies games for the XBox? I thought there was the one that was like the PC version, and then a second one more like you described (which had a subtitle that I forget).

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The open-world one was Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I impulse bought Soul Sacrifice at the store earlier, got anything for it? I'm new to the Monster Hunter style games.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks. so basically like every Bioware game ever.

Seriously yeah... if you're played one Bioware game you've played them all.
  • Explore everywhere
  • Talk to everyone.
  • You can be good, neutral or evil, but there's no advantage at all to being neutral, so you really have only two choices.
  • There's a puzzle based on combining primary colors onto secondary ones.
  • There's another puzzle based on getting a group of people to change their minds.
  • You have companions. You should talk to them a lot. You can boink some of them.
  • 873 pages of gut-wrenchingly bad fanfiction will be written about boinking your companions.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel? I played a few hours of the first game on Steam but it didn't grab me.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Anything for Dragon Quest Heroes?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

[*]873 pages of gut-wrenchingly bad fanfiction will be written about boinking your companions.[/list]
And that's just in-game

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mr Snips posted:

Anything for Dragon Quest Heroes?

Try not to sell any ingredients unless they're silver or gold nuggets/bars.

Always take monster killing quests over ingredient gathering quests. You can only do the former when they're in your questlog

Upgrade the item that the inventor gives you at every opportunity

Zoom is super important. If you fail a level you can restart with your exp/money/unlocked zoom locations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

bbcisdabomb posted:

The open-world one was Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge.

That's the one I got, and it's fun! I think I'll try the PC version too. I wish there were more arcady flight combat games.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

That's the one I got, and it's fun! I think I'll try the PC version too. I wish there were more arcady flight combat games.

The PC version was much less arcady, but still a load of fun. The xbox one had a boost meter with some easy acrobatic moves mapped to the right stick, which changed things up quite a bit.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Vadun posted:

Try not to sell any ingredients unless they're silver or gold nuggets/bars.

Always take monster killing quests over ingredient gathering quests. You can only do the former when they're in your questlog

Upgrade the item that the inventor gives you at every opportunity

Zoom is super important. If you fail a level you can restart with your exp/money/unlocked zoom locations.

Wikipedia tells me that there are two Dragon Quest Heroes games: 2005 and 2015.

Which one are these tips for?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What should I know for 80 Days and Sunless Sea?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Centipeed posted:

2015 on PS4.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

2005 is Rocket Slime and 2015 is The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below if you want to make subtitles.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

flatluigi posted:

Don't worry too much about 80 Days. The only thing you really need to know to avoid loving up in a boring way is to pay attention to markets at each city and try to get good sales to keep your funds up. Given the nature of the game, other mistakes just lead to more interesting stories, so it's hard to call them mistakes or gently caress-ups - for example, in my last playthrough, I kind of "lost" because I got back to London alone and didn't win the wager because I kind of sort of abandoned Fogg on the moon, but it's not really a game over in the normal sense.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I bought The Witcher 3 when it came out and barely got past the first griffin fight. I'm gonna hop back into the game but have no clue what I'm doing now. Tips?!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I kind of sort of abandoned Fogg on the moon

I really need to get back into that game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Any tips for Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel? I played a few hours of the first game on Steam but it didn't grab me.

Hold R to sprint.

If you have Rean as the on screen character in dungeons it's super easy to get a triple advantage against enemies by hitting them from the front, and then circling around to the back while hitting them a few more times to keep them stunned locked since his field attack comes out super fast with a wide arc

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I bought The Witcher 3 when it came out and barely got past the first griffin fight. I'm gonna hop back into the game but have no clue what I'm doing now. Tips?!

I'm probably repeating what's already been said, but the golden rule of TW3 for me is use Quen.

The other signs are pretty useful and you should read the bestiary whenever you encounter a new enemy to find out what they're weak to, but most of the time Quen is what you need. Level it up to the point where you get the alternate version of it ASAP, it absorbs damage and converts it into health.

Apart from that explore lots, craft lots, and don't worry too much about your build as some merchants sell respec potions. Finally, make sure you do lots of side quests in between the main quest rather than just charging through, it really helps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

flatluigi posted:

With Sunless Sea be prepared to do some trial and error and possibly die early on. Its pretty unforgiving but that's the tone and story of the game so it fits. Be careful about engaging enemies you haven't fought before, assume they're massively more powerful than the things you've fought in the past until you learn otherwise. Used to be there were some easy routes for quick money early on, but they changed the game to randomize stuff more so that isn't as easy. Pay attention to the prices in any ports you stop by and make sure to move some cargo around as you explore to make some money to keep yourself going. Keep a careful eye on your supplies. You kinda want to circle around and double back to Fallen London every so often, slowly increasing the size of the circle of your exploration each time you do it. Explore a bit north and south, and then mostly go East; the area far to the North is pretty dangerous. Upgrade your ship when you can save up the money. And keep your eye out for crew members with good stats, doing different little story things can get you some really powerful assistants.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Project X Zone on 3DS? I'm actually a fair way in, but I'm still picking up on things. In particular, I would LOVE to figure out how to keep battles from taking 6 hours to complete.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

al-azad posted:

2005 is Rocket Slime and 2015 is The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below if you want to make subtitles.

Oh, I always want to make subtitles :dance:

But generally I just use Wikipedia as a guide to perfect titles.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Anything for Project X Zone on 3DS? I'm actually a fair way in, but I'm still picking up on things. In particular, I would LOVE to figure out how to keep battles from taking 6 hours to complete.

Yeah, that's going to happen no matter what. For most of the game, you can expect the flow of battle to go: stage start > beat enemies > enemy reinforcements > friendly reinforcements > repeat. If you're familiar with the Super Robot Wars series, you'll probably know what to expect.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

One thing the game never really makes clear is that parrying is for humans only. If you try to parry a monster they'll just break your guard. Dodge monsters instead.

You have two dodge moves. The little one is the one you should use to actually dodge attacks, because the big one has a bit of a delay that makes it useless for quick dodges. Use the big one to get away from groups if you get surrounded.

Do the scavenger hunts to get witcher gear and their upgrades; the sets are the best in the game for the most part.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do the scavenger hunts to get witcher gear and their upgrades; the sets are the best in the game for the most part.

Echoing what this guy says, early on make sure you get the Serpentine swords, they'll see you through the early game nicely. After that around level 10 or so you'll be able to go on a scavenger hunt for the Griffin armour, get it because it's V. Good for the Velen/Novigrad sections.

Also, look up a guide and activate all of the Places of Power as early as you can - each one gives you a point to put into your skills, so it's the equivalent of a free level up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll also echo that Witcher advice: The game throws an overwhelming amount of gear and crafting recipes at you, but all you ever need is witcher gear. Keep it up to date as you level and you'll be prepared for anything, freeing you up to sell or dismantle everything else you come across. Between the three (four? five now?) types, which one you use is a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned. Each one corresponds to a certain playstyle allegedly, but I used bear armor despite never using alchemy ever and I got through just fine on normal difficulty. Use what looks cool, IMO

This guide will tell you where to find the gear recipes, in case you don't manage to pick up all the scavenger hunt maps on your own.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

One thing the game never really makes clear is that parrying is for humans only. If you try to parry a monster they'll just break your guard. Dodge monsters instead.

I think there's a slight caveat to this, because I know I've pressed parry when a drowner has attacked and geralt does this quick shimmy and counters. Pretty sure this is only for drowners though (maybe nekkers?)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Overminty posted:

I think there's a slight caveat to this, because I know I've pressed parry when a drowner has attacked and geralt does this quick shimmy and counters. Pretty sure this is only for drowners though (maybe nekkers?)

I'm pretty sure that you can counter water hags too and cut off their tongues.

But in general, the "parry humans, dodge monsters" advice is solid--even if you CAN parry certain monsters, dodging them is also a good idea.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Does anyone have any tips/advice for Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters? Also, is there anything in particular I need to know before heading into Hotline Miami 2 if I've already completed the first one?

Thanks.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can counter water hags too and cut off their tongues.

But in general, the "parry humans, dodge monsters" advice is solid--even if you CAN parry certain monsters, dodging them is also a good idea.

Yeah I've seen that in a loading hint I think, haven't been able to pull it off yet though. And agreed that dodging is usually the way to go. Although if there's a large group of them I sometimes find myself dodging into another one. The invincibility frames from the counter (iirc there are some) could work in your favour. Maybe not the best beginner advice though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
On that note, if you do find yourself surrounded, dodging backwards twice and maybe throwing a bomb is a good way to regain control of a fight. Keep this in mind when navigating a fight, even weak enemies can tear you apart if they trap you in a corner.