Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Are you implying we should be okay with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Koburn posted:

Are you implying we should be okay with it?

There is no reason not to be, it was a minor hiccup with no consequences.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

I'm more annoyed by the fact that searching for games is horribly broken, to the point you have to reload the page like 30 times to get a chance of it displaying.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

#thisisimportant

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ougher posted:

I'm more annoyed by the fact that searching for games is horribly broken, to the point you have to reload the page like 30 times to get a chance of it displaying.

don't hit enter, and instead select from the titles that drop down after you type in a keyword

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is no reason not to be, it was a minor hiccup with no consequences.

I take it your information wasn't leaked? I don't know how anyone can justify the lack of a public statement on the front page or an email to all users explaining what happened.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-huge-steam-screwup-leaked-users-account-info-and-valve-isnt-talking posted:

Motherboard contributor Ian Birnbaum saw the last two digits of a random Steam user's credit card number, the last four digits of his phone number (meaning this user had two-factor authentication on), full name, billing address, and an email address associated with his PayPal account.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Koburn posted:

I take it your information wasn't leaked? I don't know how anyone can justify the lack of a public statement on the front page or an email to all users explaining what happened.

No one's info was leaked, least anything important so no

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

duckfarts posted:

don't hit enter, and instead select from the titles that drop down after you type in a keyword

I mean even when I search the $5 or $10 titles, most of the time it would just not even display any results until I refreshed the page a bunch of times. This was earlier today, it seems to be working ok at the moment.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ougher posted:

I mean even when I search the $5 or $10 titles, most of the time it would just not even display any results until I refreshed the page a bunch of times.

Huh, I thought I was the only one with this problem. Valve! :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ougher posted:

I mean even when I search the $5 or $10 titles, most of the time it would just not even display any results until I refreshed the page a bunch of times. This was earlier today, it seems to be working ok at the moment.

This kept happening to me, for some reason it went back to normal after I unchecked the "Windows" filter in the right side tab.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
as someone who went through all 213 pages of specials i can safely say that steam search is broken even if it loads correctly

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

toasterwarrior posted:

Can you use a controller for the Van Helsing games? I like Grim Dawn, but it's really slow. On the other hand, Diablo 3 is probably better but my internet connection isn't always the greatest.
Yes you can, Final Cut recognizes a gamepad at first launch and I'd say it's a better way to play it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Palpek posted:

Yes you can, Final Cut recognizes a gamepad at first launch and I'd say it's a better way to play it.

Thanks dude! Probably going to be my final purchase of the year!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Whoaaaaaaaaaa

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What are the gamepad controls for van helsing final cut like? I can't really get my head around how an ARPG would work without being able to specifically click the certain things, and it just seems clunky. Loot and inventory stuff in particular, but also selecting the right enemy to attack sounds awkward. How does it... work?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The UI is specifically tailored for gamepad, it's different than the one you're using with m+k. You get button prompts next to loot on the ground and inventory is changed into a list of items that can be put into slots. I actually found a video that shows how it works (the various inventory/skills/stats windows use starts at 0:33):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlZmpGmOzA

I played arpgs since Diablo 1 and also once thought that m+k are necessary for the genre...until I played both Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 with a gamepad and if I could I would never go back. Combat feels way more responsive when you directly control your hero with thumbsticks instead of just pointing him in the right direction. Gamepad is perfect for these games if the ui is properly tailored. After a point it's even faster to use a gamepad than m+k.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 29, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Palpek posted:

The UI is specifically tailored for gamepad, it's different than the one you're using with m+k. You get button prompts next to loot on the ground and inventory is changed into a list of items that can be put into slots. I actually found a video that shows how it works (the various inventory/skills/stats windows use starts at 0:33):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFlZmpGmOzA

I played arpgs since Diablo 1 and also once thought that m+k are necessary for the genre...until I played both Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 with a gamepad and if I could I would never go back. Combat feels way more responsive when you directly control your hero with thumbsticks instead of just pointing him in the right direction. Gamepad is perfect for these games if the ui is properly tailored. After a point it's even faster to use a gamepad than m+k.

Trust me: if Diablo 3 on the PC had a gamepad option, I'd never switch away from it. It's just so much more relaxing to use a gamepad than M&K.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mango sentinel posted:

I don't even play games on there, I just use it to chat to Steamfriends when away from my desktop. Now I can't even do that.

That you can, brother: http://steamcommunity.com/chat/

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Palpek posted:

Word. This is why I play Diablo III on console exclusively. It's the best way to play these games and it's super dumb that the PC version of Diablo doesn't support it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mung Dynasty posted:

Word. This is why I play Diablo III on console exclusively. It's the best way to play these games and it's super dumb that the PC version of Diablo doesn't support it.

They have lots of excuses as to why they never implemented controller support on PC, but it really boils down to getting people to buy it again. Which worked for a lot of people, including me.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've heard it said that the console Diablo III had it's gameplay adjusted to controller play, like having less enemies at the same time and a new dodge ability because otherwise the game would be too hard for controller play... I think. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Griefor posted:

I've heard it said that the console Diablo III had it's gameplay adjusted to controller play, like having less enemies at the same time and a new dodge ability because otherwise the game would be too hard for controller play... I think. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

That is correct.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
It's a dumb excuse. There's still hella enemies in console Diablo and the supposed difference in difficulty isn't so great and important that it needs to be so valiantly preserved on PC.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay I picked up Dying Light and the Bozak Horde. I'm still pretty early on in the game, I haven't hit level 5 in anything yet, and night still doesn't seem to want to fall. EDIT: Okay advanced the plot, day/night is happening now.

I somehow put in 6 hours into the demo without realizing that you get a dodge move with Ability 2. That sure makes those big guys a lot easier to handle.

When's a good time to do the Bozak Horde? Are there some specific passives it would be best to wait for? I know you can't take any weapons in, but do any supplies like medkits, lockpicks, crafting materials go in with you? (I'm guessing not.)

Does this game have points of no return after which you are allowed to save, but are not allowed to go back to the city?

There's also a guy who gave me a quest to find a pistol. I assume that I'll just have to roam and get lucky (checking any cop cars I find).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay I picked up Dying Light and the Bozak Horde. I'm still pretty early on in the game, I haven't hit level 5 in anything yet, and night still doesn't seem to want to fall.

I somehow put in 6 hours into the demo without realizing that you get a dodge move with Ability 2. That sure makes those big guys a lot easier to handle.

When's a good time to do the Bozak Horde? Are there some specific passives it would be best to wait for? I know you can't take any weapons in, but do any supplies like medkits, lockpicks, crafting materials go in with you? (I'm guessing not.)

Does this game have points of no return after which you are allowed to save, but are not allowed to go back to the city?

There's also a guy who gave me a quest to find a pistol. I assume that I'll just have to roam and get lucky (checking any cop cars I find).
I haven't played the DLC but IIRC it's some kind of endgame challenge thing. Anyway, there are no points of no return - even after the final mission you'll get to go back into the city.
As for the rest - the first night might be locked until you do some story quests and you don't really need to save skill points ever - can't really think of an useless ability outside of maybe the haggling perks.

Firearms will show up later, it's both location and level locked. You won't see a pistol for a while.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 29, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ariza posted:

They have lots of excuses as to why they never implemented controller support on PC, but it really boils down to getting people to buy it again. Which worked for a lot of people, including me.

On the flip side there's people like me, the only reason i have not bought D3 is because there's no controller support.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay I picked up Dying Light and the Bozak Horde. I'm still pretty early on in the game, I haven't hit level 5 in anything yet, and night still doesn't seem to want to fall.

I'm pretty sure the first nightfall is scripted, after that you can usually go to a bed to sleep until morning or evening to switch between night and day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The first night is 3-5 missions in.

Bozak is built for co-op. Not sure if you can even solo it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure the first nightfall is scripted, after that you can usually go to a bed to sleep until morning or evening to switch between night and day.

Yeah, the first night doesn't come until the plot allows it. That usually takes 3 or so main missions. After that, time progresses normally, so you can either do stuff until nightfall happens, or, as Kanfy said, you can go to a bed and wait until nightfall.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

On the flip side there's people like me, the only reason i have not bought D3 is because there's no controller support.

I haven't bought it on PC, but I bought it for PS3 during a recent sale, even though I gather the last gen version isn't updated anymore.

It's really good.

Van Helsing's controls with a gamepad on the other hand feel off. Maybe I'll have to spend some more time with it but I really didn't like it at all. I enjoyed VH1, but I kind of regret picking up 3 to get the final cut.

e: Also the load times are atrocious, the game has weird issues with detecting the controller and not letting you change to M&K, and it crashed when I saw the first waypoint. Sooooo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It only happens the first time you launch it if a controller is connected - quit and launch the game again and you'll be able to switch to m+k. Yeah, it's a dumb bug but it's easy enough to fix. I haven't really encountered any other technical problems with it though.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Can anyone recommend a good RPG or RTS that's on sale at the moment? Hell, I'm even thinking about Subnautica. I dig survival games too. Thanks!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Can anyone recommend a good RPG or RTS that's on sale at the moment? Hell, I'm even thinking about Subnautica. I dig survival games too. Thanks!

What RTS/RPG/Survival games have you played that you like? (I'm asking so we don't accidentally recommend stuff you've already played.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

The Treasure Planet RTS is on Steam. Yes, it's an RTS about the Disney movie.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Dementropy posted:

What RTS/RPG/Survival games have you played that you like? (I'm asking so we don't accidentally recommend stuff you've already played.)

Starcraft was/is a favourite. Pretty much the only good RTS I've played. As far as RPG's go, Fallout series (including 4), Witcher, Skyrim, Final Fantasy. The usual suspects.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The Treasure Planet RTS is on Steam. Yes, it's an RTS about the Disney movie.

While I'm sure it's actually good, I'm not really a fan games that are 'cute'. Except for Katamari...Katamari is awesome

Dr.Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 29, 2015

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
**reply is not quote**

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rise of Nations is old but I'm enjoying it so far after having missed it 12 years ago. Its weird to see an old rear end game with twitch integration though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
wat is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

anilEhilated posted:

I haven't played the DLC but IIRC it's some kind of endgame challenge thing. Anyway, there are no points of no return - even after the final mission you'll get to go back into the city.
As for the rest - the first night might be locked until you do some story quests and you don't really need to save skill points ever - can't really think of an useless ability outside of maybe the haggling perks.

Firearms will show up later, it's both location and level locked. You won't see a pistol for a while.

Actually I did just find one. I was trying to retrieve a night drop from a power substation. It was chock full of zombies including at least one Volatile. I used firecrackers to provide a distraction, then danced around some of them to open the crates, then and danced around the crates to get the stuff. (I later used that same technique to snatch half a drop from Rais's goons without killing them.) I was spotted, and ran away, but dawn broke so the chase ended. It was near that spot that I found a guy who had committed suicide and he had a pistol. Probably a one-time-only thing, but I'll check.

Unrelated, I know how to climb UP Radio towers, but I don't know how to get DOWN from them... without dying.

• Locked thread